RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Bracketology: 2023 NCAA Tournament
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/12/23 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
i can haz WNIT field nao?

the 64 teams have at least been announced:

https://womensnit.com/news/2023/3/12/general-postseason-wnit-announces-64-team-field-for-2023-event.aspx

brackets/matchups to be released tomorrow… a little short-notice for these teams imo

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/12/23 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Queenie wrote:
i can haz WNIT field nao?

the 64 teams have at least been announced:

https://womensnit.com/news/2023/3/12/general-postseason-wnit-announces-64-team-field-for-2023-event.aspx

brackets/matchups to be released tomorrow… a little short-notice for these teams imo

I neeeeeeeed dates and times, I am going to be *so busy* omg

PostPosted: 03/12/23 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
The men's and women's "Bracketology--Field of 136" discussion is on ESPN at 7 pm tonight. Then the women's actual selection show is on ESPN at 8 pm and continued on ESPNU at 9 pm. Per Comcast. You'd think ESPN would have this info displayed prominently on their WBB webpage, but no, just 5 billion articles by the Cremepuff.

Did the 136 show say anything about the women? I assumed it would be about the men's bracket only.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/12/23 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I counted correctly:

5 Big East (1 play in)
5 Big 12
7 Pac 12
7 Big Ten teams (2 are play in teams)
7 SEC teams (1 play in)
8 ACC teams

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/12/23 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you listen to the talking heads, there's no reason to play any games. Just hand the trophy to So Caro

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/12/23 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Easiest path for a 1 to FF: SCar
Hardest: VaTech

I can see SCar being the only 1 to make the FF.
Howee

PostPosted: 03/12/23 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Easiest path for a 1 to FF: SCar
Hardest: VaTech

I can see SCar being the only 1 to make the FF.

The Easiest/Hardest makes sense given the caliber of #1 seeds. I do see adequate possibility that a strong ND or MD might interfere with SC's hopes.

Well, I can't lie - my pride hoped for an Oregon ticket. But....I do believe they've got more games in store for them in the NIT than they might have otherwise.

By proxy, Indiana, Iowa, and Stanford shall be my rooting interests this year at the Big Dance. I'll figure out how to view a potential Iowa/Stanford matchup when it happens. Razz

Kudos to all for the season-long efforts to get them where they now are. Cool

To all the teams that fought just as hard as the others, but are now officially *done*: keep yer buttz out there, work 'em off all summer and set your sights on NEXT year. Wink

PostPosted: 03/12/23 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
Finally Oregon is in a very interesting situation. 19 in the NET but with a shaky resume. They only have 2 losses to teams that are not in the tournament (Oregon St and Washington, both on the road) and they have three wins over tourney teams (Portland, USC and Arizona.)

So I will take Columbia, Oregon and West Virginia instead of Charlie Creme's picks of Mississippi St, Kansas and St John's.
I will pick West Virginia and Columbia to make the field over Mississippi St and Kansas.

What makes you take those three over St John's?

St Johns also has three wins over tourney teams in UConn, Creighton, and Marquette, which is a more impressive set of victories than Oregon's. St Johns only lost to one team that won't be in the tournament (Seton Hall, twice) and I think each teams pair of "bad" losses basically cancel out.

Columbia has two wins over tourney teams in Princeton and Miami, a less impressive slate than St Johns, and also has (much) worse losses in Penn and Vanderbilt. West Virginia does have wins over four or five tourney teams in Iowa State, Baylor (twice), Georgia, Oklahoma State, and Kansas, but also worse losses than St Johns in Penn St and Texas Tech. I can see West Virginia over St Johns, but not Oregon or Columbia (based on their resumes).

Your points are well taken. As it relates to St John's I don't value their win over UConn because of all the injuries they had at the time. This is very subjective bnut that is wyhat all the prognostications are about. I believe that if there is any relevance to the NET (and I think there is) then their #19 ranking matters (not a lot, but just enough. As for West Virginia"s losses, I believe that for the last few teams in the tourney the wins are more important than the losses. But these are all close calls. We will see in a minute.

FYI St. John's beat a UConn team that had MORE players available and playing significant minutes than when UConn played South Carolina and Marquette.

Surprised Columbia didn't get a nod honestly, felt they were more deserving than WVU. With that said, not making the Ivy final is a glaringly bad sign.

Didn't think Kansas earned a bid after losing to TCU, at the end of the day, it feels like committee focused on last 5-7 game resume among similar teams.

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/13/23 6:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
If you listen to the talking heads, there's no reason to play any games. Just hand the trophy to So Caro

Right? Peck borders on totally unprofessional(not just slightly) with her blatant FANDOM of South Carolina. I don't think I've ever seen two media personalities so blatantly biased towards a team as much as Courtney Lyle and Peck are of South Carolina.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/13/23 7:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Right? Peck borders on totally unprofessional(not just slightly) with her blatant FANDOM of South Carolina. I don't think I've ever seen two media personalities so blatantly biased towards a team as much as Courtney Lyle and Peck are of South Carolina.

Um, have you met Rebecca Lobo and Debbie A? They co-authored the book "How to be a Media Personality Who is Blatantly Biased Towards a Team...and Keep Your Job!"

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Phil

PostPosted: 03/13/23 7:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
Creme has seemed fairly certain that Stanford will be a one seed, and I need it explained to me like a kindergartner. I haven’t done many CE hours on bracketology. 🤫

Simple.

The powers that be want Stanford as a one seed. So it became a one seed. Don't try to analyze the rationales that were made up after the fact to justify the preordained decision.

Okay okay preordained is probably not a kindergarten term. I'll work on it.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/13/23 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I dunno how it's so tough to comprehend. Charlie Creme (with whom I seldom agree) DID explain it clearly enough:

Quote:
Why Stanford got the final No. 1 seed:
Résumé, not recent success, won the night for Stanford. The Cardinal had more wins against the top 50 of the NET than any team in the country expect South Carolina. That key metric and the fact that the Pac-12 was the highest-rated league in the country carried the day for Stanford over UConn and Iowa.

Now, if you disagree, okay....but PLEASE explain how any of the #2 seeds deserved it more than Stanford. I don't see it.

PostPosted: 03/13/23 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think it matters if you're a 2 vs a 1, especially this year. I would have been totally fine with Stanford getting a 2. You still have to win games.

singinerd54

PostPosted: 03/13/23 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
I dunno how it's so tough to comprehend. Charlie Creme (with whom I seldom agree) DID explain it clearly enough:

Quote:
Why Stanford got the final No. 1 seed:
Résumé, not recent success, won the night for Stanford. The Cardinal had more wins against the top 50 of the NET than any team in the country expect South Carolina. That key metric and the fact that the Pac-12 was the highest-rated league in the country carried the day for Stanford over UConn and Iowa.

Now, if you disagree, okay....but PLEASE explain how any of the #2 seeds deserved it more than Stanford. I don't see it.

I have no problem with Stanford being a 1 seed ahead of UConn. But if resume is the metric, UConn's is as good as, and maybe better than, Stanford's.

UConn – NET: 2, 29-5, won Big East tourney
Stanford – NET: 4, 28-5, did not win Pac-12 tourney

UConn - 11-3 vs. NET top 25, 14-4 vs. NET top 50, worst loss to NET 55 on 2/21
Stanford - 9-3, 15-4, 68 on 2/5

UConn - avg NET win: 68, avg NET loss: 24
Stanford - 79, 25

best 5 wins in terms of NET rankings:
UConn - 6, 10, 11, 12, 12
Stanford - 7, 15, 18, 19, 19

5 losses in terms of NET rankings:
UConn - 1, 8, 14, 42, 55
Stanford - 1, 7, 22, 31, 68

Stanford hasn't dealt with injuries in the same way as UConn (to my knowledge), too.

Creme literally cherry picked the one stat where Stanford's resume is better than UConn's. I'd value two more top 25 wins more than 1 top 50 win, but that's just me.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/13/23 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:

I have no problem with Stanford being a 1 seed ahead of UConn. But if resume is the metric, UConn's is as good as, and maybe better than, Stanford's.

UConn – NET: 2, 29-5, won Big East tourney
Stanford – NET: 4, 28-5, did not win Pac-12 tourney

UConn - 11-3 vs. NET top 25, 14-4 vs. NET top 50, worst loss to NET 55 on 2/21
Stanford - 9-3, 15-4, 68 on 2/5

UConn - avg NET win: 68, avg NET loss: 24
Stanford - 79, 25

best 5 wins in terms of NET rankings:
UConn - 6, 10, 11, 12, 12
Stanford - 7, 15, 18, 19, 19

5 losses in terms of NET rankings:
UConn - 1, 8, 14, 42, 55
Stanford - 1, 7, 22, 31, 68

Stanford hasn't dealt with injuries in the same way as UConn (to my knowledge), too.

Creme literally cherry picked the one stat where Stanford's resume is better than UConn's. I'd value two more top 25 wins more than 1 top 50 win, but that's just me.

Persuasive work, singinerd54.
Howee

PostPosted: 03/13/23 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All valid points, but....his last line: "That key metric and the fact that the Pac-12 was the highest-rated league in the country carried the day for Stanford over UConn and Iowa" hasta be worth something, especially when the margins of decision are so very thin.

Like Murdle sez: 1, 2? Gotta win, wherever yer planted. And I'd like CT's odds over VA Tech, should chalk hold.

PostPosted: 03/13/23 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think Stanford is the weak link among #1 seeds. There's a reason nobody thinks Virginia Tech will make it to Dallas.

PostPosted: 03/13/23 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I don't think Stanford is the weak link among #1 seeds. There's a reason nobody thinks Virginia Tech will make it to Dallas.

You mean you and some other UConn people don’t think so.

PostPosted: 03/13/23 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The winner in terms psychological edge is Iowa, who can now wear the "disrespected"mantle into an E8 game vs the Trees.

singinerd54

PostPosted: 03/13/23 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
All valid points, but....his last line: "That key metric and the fact that the Pac-12 was the highest-rated league in the country carried the day for Stanford over UConn and Iowa" hasta be worth something, especially when the margins of decision are so very thin.

Like Murdle sez: 1, 2? Gotta win, wherever yer planted. And I'd like CT's odds over VA Tech, should chalk hold.

Yeah, I'd rather be in a bracket with Virginia Tech than Stanford or Iowa, and as I said, I'm fine with the committee's choice of Stanford over UConn for a 1 seed.

I don't see why playing in the highest-rated league matters, though, when we're talking about comparing resumes. In addition to all the stats above, UConn played more Quad 1 games and more Quad 2 games, and their SOS was better according to RPI (2 versus 4). According to Massey's SOS rankings, though, Stanford has a better SOS (5 versus 6 [I went for the metric for games already played since Stanford doesn't have a first round opponent yet and that skews it]).

The margins are close all around, but it's pretty clear that UConn's resume is on par with (and just slightly better than) Stanford's.

Last edited by singinerd54 on 03/14/23 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
elsie

PostPosted: 03/14/23 12:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not going to argue Stanford vs Iowa but I do want to point out that Stanford claims a victory against Gonzaga when Gonzaga had 2 starters out and had only 7 players available...only 7 players.....

how tenn and Louisville got higher seeds and an easier path than a team that beat BOTH of them , Gonzaga , is beyond me....

but I know, TPTB know best.......Sad

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/14/23 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NM

Phil

PostPosted: 03/14/23 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Serious question - why should the overall strength of the conference have ANY weight in the choice?

While it is obvious that a member of a strong conference will generally have a stronger in conference SOS than a team in a weaker conference, SOS is already considered, probably doubly, because it is looked at on its own and it is a component of NET. While should it get even more weight?

Phil

PostPosted: 03/14/23 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

duplicate please remove

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/14/23 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LOL at all the whining about how the strength of a team's conference matters from fans of a team in a weak conference.

~rAf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: