Board Junkies Forums

Seattle Storm 2023
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/09/23 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
signing someone who should’ve been outta the league years ago is not how i wanted us to be bad

PG: Whitcomb/YTurner
SG: Loyd/Guirantes
SF: Nurse/KCharles
PF: Magbegor
C: Russell/Plaisance

not nearly enough youth yet, which makes me uneasy

Is Gabby still unsigned?

yep – no one expects her to play in the W at least this season – she herself has hinted as much in previous end-of-season comments back in the fall – but we may never see her play in the W ever again ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mixolydian wrote:
Agree 100%. If we're rebuilding, which we kinda have to at this point, I'd much rather watch a team made up of young, raw, developing talent then something like this.

Like, sure, let's be bad and go for picks, but let's see if we can't find/polish some diamonds in the rough while we're at it.

Exactly. Guirantes could be a diamond in the rough, and maybe KCharles too if she just hasn’t been in the right system yet. Otherwise though, yeah, I’m nervous. It’s not like there aren’t all these young former draftees from the past couple years who are proving by their overseas numbers that they deserve another shot at the W.

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/09/23 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
So speaks someone too young to remember what an expansion roster looks like...

if you're talking shit about the Miami Sol, I *will* have to throw hands

PostPosted: 02/09/23 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is looking like Chicago is still trying to be relevant maybe something like

Loyd to Chicago for Hebard, Evans and #5 could work for both teams

Chicago becomes more competitive
Seattle adds 5 9 Hebard and Evans to the young players who might become something list while insuring more ping pong balls in 24 at the same time

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 02/09/23 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
It is looking like Chicago is still trying to be relevant maybe something like

Loyd to Chicago for Hebard, Evans and #5 could work for both teams

Chicago becomes more competitive
Seattle adds 5 9 Hebard and Evans to the young players who might become something list while insuring more ping pong balls in 24 at the same time

Chicago should be patient and wait one year. Loyd will be a free agent next year.

PostPosted: 02/09/23 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm wondering if Seattle doesn't want to dissolve their whole team yet in case Stewart wants to come back next year. This thing in NY is one huge experiment.

PostPosted: 02/10/23 2:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
I'm wondering if Seattle doesn't want to dissolve their whole team yet in case Stewart wants to come back next ye—

nah, she gone

ucbart

PostPosted: 02/10/23 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
I'm wondering if Seattle doesn't want to dissolve their whole team yet in case Stewart wants to come back next year. This thing in NY is one huge experiment.

From her press conference, it sounds like she is 110% committed to NY and THE cornerstone of the franchise. I don't think she is going anywhere. I said before that I thought Puma would want her in NY and I'm willing to be her contract with them has clauses depending on what market she plays. Well, now she's in market #1, her entire family is a 40 minute plane ride from JFK, Laguardia or Newark, and she's on a loaded team.

taco-man

PostPosted: 02/10/23 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
From her press conference, it sounds like she is 110% committed to NY and THE cornerstone of the franchise. I don't think she is going anywhere. I said before that I thought Puma would want her in NY and I'm willing to be her contract with them has clauses depending on what market she plays. Well, now she's in market #1, her entire family is a 40 minute plane ride from JFK, Laguardia or Newark, and she's on a loaded team.

SeaFoam Puma sneakers are surely forthcoming.

Last edited by taco-man on 02/14/23 6:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
Queenie

PostPosted: 02/10/23 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

she's so 110% committed that she signed a one-year deal

PostPosted: 02/10/23 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I was signing for below-market value to help them out, I'd sign for one year too and make them pay me properly starting next year.

PostPosted: 02/10/23 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
she's so 110% committed that she signed a one-year deal

THIS Laughing

Every player is 110% committed, until they're not.

PostPosted: 02/10/23 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
If I was signing for below-market value to help them out, I'd sign for one year too and make them pay me properly starting next year.

If it were me, I'd wait to see if the Aces face any real punishment. Because if the league FO doesn't care about that kind of cheating, then it doesn't really matter what you sign for. Razz

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/12/23 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
https://twitter.com/rowanschaberg/status/1622665487124672512

"Mercedes is fully cleared and we are expecting her to be a full participant at the start of camp."

well this is GREAT news!!

i see it’s from several days ago now – with all the W media, how is this only the first i’m hearing of it? you or anyone else didn’t think to boost it upon seeing it?

craigmont

PostPosted: 02/17/23 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting discussion about Gabby Williams over in the 4-way trade thread. Is Gabby overrated? Were the Storm better with Steph Talbot on the floor?

Is Kia Nurse a good fit for that role? I think she might be. I also think we're really going to miss Talbot.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/17/23 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

it’s a shame it took several years for the pro coaches G-Dub was around to make her realize she was a 3 at this level, as it maybe hindered her early development

but we all [should] know now that she is a true defense-oriented 3 who can make things happen when she’s on that end of the floor, and even on offense as a cutter, passer, and o-rebounder

but imo she does need to continue taking 3s on offense to help spread the floor, even as she’ll never be more than sub-par at making them

she and Talbot were good complements to each other in that way

we will miss both dearly, because i am very skeptical that Nurse isn’t gonna be a liability on the floor – she’s not a true SF, coming off a big injury, and didn’t even do that well in a 4th-option starter role for Phoenix

before that, she struggled mightily from the field playing in a bigger role in the wubble season of 2020 for New York, hence her subsequent departure

her best days are well behind her imo

craigmont

PostPosted: 02/20/23 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://storm.wnba.com/news/jade-melbourne-signs-with-seattle/

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 03/27/23 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Storm break ground on new team practice faculty in Seattle: https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/storm/storm-leaders-break-ground-on-first-of-its-kind-wnba-training-facility/

Quote:
Bulldozers and towering cranes comprised a backdrop beneath a bright midday sun as Storm co-owners, front-office staff and a few players joined Seattle politicians and business leaders who donned green hard hats and drove gold shovels into a mound of dirt Monday to ceremonially start construction of the team’s new practice facility.

“This is for the team,” co-owner Lisa Brummel said while addressing a small crowd that included coach Noelle Quinn, WNBA All-Star Jewell Loyd, center Mercedes Russell and recently retired Storm star Sue Bird. “This is for you. You showed us what it meant to be winners. You showed us what it meant to be competitors and you just kept going. And that tenacity inspires us.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/05/23 2:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

all right, who would i draft with the #9, assuming we won't trade it, assuming we care enough to use it wisely this year, assuming a meteor won't finally come down & destroy us all between now & April 10

Super Yes: Siegrist, Horston, Jones (they could fall but surely won't fall that far)
Yes: Berger, Brown, Mikesell, M. Williams, Robertson, Pellington
I'd like her a lot better as a later pick: Swain, Contell, DeCosta, Winterburn, Meyers, Morris, Amihere, Balogun, Fankam Mendjiadeu, Cooks, Juhasz, Czinano, Washington
No: Lopez Senechal, Soares, Joens, Cooke, Beal, Hirsch

and maybe one of the later-round picks will excite me for half a second, who knows

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/11/23 1:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seattle's 2023 Picks:

9. Jordan Horston, 6' 2" G/F, Tennessee
18. Madi Williams, 5' 11" F/G, Oklahoma
21. Dulcy Fankam Mendjiadeu, 6' 4" C, South Florida/Cameroon
33. Jade Loville, 5' 11" SG, Arizona

craigmont

PostPosted: 04/11/23 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
all right, who would i draft with the #9, assuming we won't trade it, assuming we care enough to use it wisely this year, assuming a meteor won't finally come down & destroy us all between now & April 10

Super Yes: Siegrist, Horston, Jones (they could fall but surely won't fall that far)
Yes: Berger, Brown, Mikesell, M. Williams, Robertson, Pellington
I'd like her a lot better as a later pick: Swain, Contell, DeCosta, Winterburn, Meyers, Morris, Amihere, Balogun, Fankam Mendjiadeu, Cooks, Juhasz, Czinano, Washington
No: Lopez Senechal, Soares, Joens, Cooke, Beal, Hirsch

and maybe one of the later-round picks will excite me for half a second, who knows

Looks like you pretty much nailed it!

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/11/23 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I could see someone bringing Pellington into training camp for a look see.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/18/23 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So has Tina officially retired or whaT ?

PostPosted: 04/19/23 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
Looks like you pretty much nailed it!

thanks. though to be fair, i put out so many options due to my basement-level expectations of our front office and my uneven amount of interest in our picks in general this year that i was bound to get something right Laughing

we have a pretty uninteresting group beyond Magbegor & Horston imo – though we were very lucky to get Horston in the first place (our Draft luck continues!) so things most definitely could've been worse. i hope we get a couple good waiver wire pickups at the end of preseason.

WNBA 09 wrote:
So has Tina officially retired or whaT ?

no one knows, and apparently no one cares enough to ask anyone about it. so it goes, i suppose.

craigmont

PostPosted: 04/28/23 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/storm/roster-turnover-means-storm-enter-2023-training-camp-with-a-blank-canvas/#comments

Quote:
And Gabby Williams, who had a breakout season with the Storm last year, remains in France. Seattle tendered the restricted free agent an offer and hopes she arrives before the season opener, which would make her eligible for the season.

“That is also another fluid situation,” Quinn said. “I’m constantly in communication with Gabby and she’s keeping me posted about her latest moves. There is still a chance that she will be available to play. She very much wants to and I think her camp wants her to play as well.”

pilight

PostPosted: 05/12/23 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Storm waive Madi Williams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: