PostPosted: 02/04/23 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so, our depth chart right now lol

PG: Whitcomb
SG: Loyd/Guirantes
SF: Nurse/KCharles
PF: Magbegor
C: Russell

Rights to: Melbourne, #9, #18 (from NY), #21, #33

the tank is clearly on lmao and things will continue to change in the coming weeks & months but i really hope Arella Guirantes makes this team!
Chelsea Dungee meanwhile found dead in a ditch, woof

craigmont

PostPosted: 02/04/23 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
so, our depth chart right now lol

PG: Whitcomb
SG: Loyd/Guirantes
SF: Nurse/KCharles
PF: Magbegor
C: Russell

Rights to: Melbourne, #9, #18 (from NY), #21, #33

the tank is clearly on lmao and things will continue to change in the coming weeks & months but i really hope Arella Guirantes makes this team!
Chelsea Dungee meanwhile found dead in a ditch, woof

January 11-20: All qualifying offers and core player designations delivered
January 21: 2023 Player Negotiating period begins
February 1: Player Contracts may be signed
March 31 – April 2: NCAA Women’s Final Four
April 10: WNBA Draft
April 30: Training Camp Begins
May 5: Pre-season Games Begin
May 15: Last Possible Date for Pre-Season Games
May 18: Final Roster Cut-down Date: 12 players, 5:00 pm EST
May 19: Regular Season Begins

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/05/23 1:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

and that’s on the natural mf progression of time, period

although in this time period, we’re gonna have a Lottery-level roster no matter what changes are made between now & May 18

craigmont

PostPosted: 02/05/23 2:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see much of a way around that. Is there some free-agent splash you think they should have made?

sithinfiltrator

PostPosted: 02/05/23 8:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My biggest worry is that we are going to give max guranteed contracts to lure people to Seattle and then be stuck with them for three years or so. See Morgan Tuck from a few years back.

PostPosted: 02/05/23 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is the trend towards shorter, less guaranteed contracts?

I know Reeve liked to give out three year guaranteed contracts like they were Halloween candy.

Or maybe she’s Oprah: “You get a three year guaranteed contract! You get a three year guaranteed contract!”

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/05/23 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
I don't see much of a way around that. Is there some free-agent splash you think they should have made?

Nor do I. And no. Stewart stays = we contend. Stewart leaves = we rebuild. And it was Door #2. 2024 (and 2025) should be a great year to be a Lottery team. As long as these are just two-year deals, I don’t really care who we sign & for how much. This is the only time I wouldn’t complain about Nurse’s contract, for example. Razz

However, I hope we’re smart enough to save some cap space after free agency’s over to be able to take on a midseason dump trade. It’d be nice if we could take one on now, but there apparently may not be very many obvious candidates out there at the moment.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/05/23 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No one else seems to be bothering much this year, so virtually every contract so far has been publicly revealed on my twitter account: https://twitter.com/RichardCohen1 . All the Seattle ones so far are there, for those interested.

Cap sheets also being updated as we go along at Her Hoop Stats (although Magbegor isn't on there yet, as numbers only confirmed late last night): https://herhoopstats.com/salary-cap-sheet/wnba/summary/

PostPosted: 02/05/23 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
No one else seems to be bothering much this year, so virtually every contract so far has been publicly revealed on my twitter account: https://twitter.com/RichardCohen1 . All the Seattle ones so far are there, for those interested.

Cap sheets also being updated as we go along at Her Hoop Stats (although Magbegor isn't on there yet, as numbers only confirmed late last night): https://herhoopstats.com/salary-cap-sheet/wnba/summary/

Those in the W Twitterverse leave you to post the salary numbers cuz they know you won’t disappoint. Smile

Magbegor getting good money, just like I thought was possible. Hopefully it leads to her re-signing in 2025 if things work out.

craigmont

PostPosted: 02/05/23 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
craigmont wrote:

Nor do I. And no. Stewart stays = we contend. Stewart leaves = we rebuild. And it was Door #2. 2024 (and 2025) should be a great year to be a Lottery team. As long as these are just two-year deals, I don’t really care who we sign & for how much. This is the only time I wouldn’t complain about Nurse’s contract, for example. Razz

However, I hope we’re smart enough to save some cap space after free agency’s over to be able to take on a midseason dump trade. It’d be nice if we could take one on now, but there apparently may not be very many obvious candidates out there at the moment.

The worst thing would be mediocrity. The Clark-Bueckers Lottery Tank Watch will be entertaining.

canadaball

PostPosted: 02/05/23 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With Clarendon signing in LA, I would guess that either Jefferson or Canada are heading to Sea. The Storm need a pg.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/05/23 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
With Clarendon signing in LA, I would guess that either Jefferson or Canada are heading to Sea. The Storm need a pg.

counterpoint: we don't need anything but all da ping-pong balls we can get in 2024 & 2025 Cool

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 02/05/23 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just tossing this for thought, the Mystics trade Hines-Allen to the Storm for the 9th pick in the 2023 WNBA Draft?

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/05/23 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
Just tossing this for thought, the Mystics trade Hines-Allen to the Storm for the 9th pick in the 2023 WNBA Draft?

we need to collect more 1RPs or trade up with them, not trade them away entirely

i also wouldn’t really want Hines-Allen taking away minutes from Magbegor, since they both sort of profile similarly

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/06/23 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
canadaball wrote:

counterpoint: we don't need anything but all da ping-pong balls we can get in 2024 & 2025 Cool

Heyyy its PP time !!! Stormeo no worries you all will be back in the limelight soon PP's are a thing of gold these next 2 drafts . You will get a franchise player for sure. Cool

PostPosted: 02/06/23 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
canadaball wrote:

Heyyy its PP time !!! Stormeo no worries you all will be back in the limelight soon PP's are a thing of gold these next 2 drafts . You will get a franchise player for sure. Cool

if nothing else, we’ve historically had a lot of luck on our side 🤫

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/06/23 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
One of the fascinating things to me about sports is that some athletes get much better than we initially saw or imagined while others get noticeably worse. For me, a recent example is Kia Nurse, who's just signed with Seattle.

I thought Nurse did an excellent job as a Liberty rookie in 2018. Better than is often expected for the 10th pick. Then, in the first half of 2019, Nurse was even better and made the All Star team. But (in my view) her play deteriorated in the second half of the season and was even worse in 2020. In that season--when New York badly needed a major contribution from Nurse--she had a .273 shooting percentage and .238 on three-pointers.

Nurse's 2021 season in Phoenix didn't go well. She missed all of 2022 due to a torn ACL. Now she's on her third team. I'm baffled. I never understood her second-half decline in 2019 and further decline after that. I wish Kia well in Seattle.

this was a nice recap that explains for me why I simply can’t comprehend the contract she got from us lmfao

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/06/23 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so long as you have to depend on Jewell Loyd to carry the load, the team will be mediocre. She's dynamic and can be fun to watch. She also misses a lot of shots so if she takes more, she will miss more. Stewie and Bird could balance it out. Without them, ouch.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/06/23 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know it is not want Seattle fans want to hear but

Max out Mabrey
Bring back Charles

Seattle could be ok

Again I know ok is not what most fans want

craigmont

PostPosted: 02/06/23 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Guirantes and K. Charles signings were officially announced today.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/06/23 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
so long as you have to depend on Jewell Loyd to carry the load, the team will be mediocre. She's dynamic and can be fun to watch. She also misses a lot of shots so if she takes more, she will miss more. Stewie and Bird could balance it out. Without them, ouch.

I just don’t think Loyd’s a Storm lifer anyway. I think she jumps ship next year as a UFA who can’t be cored. That’s why I want to trade her for whatever we can get – I know she’s an expensive SG, but I’d like to think we could get some team’s 1RP from some future date along with a salary dump or other unwanted things. I just hope her whole situation doesn’t result in a buyout where we’d get nothing.

J-Spoon wrote:
I know it is not want Seattle fans want to hear but

Max out Mabrey
Bring back Charles

Seattle could be ok

Again I know ok is not what most fans want

It’s not only what I wouldn’t want, but I don’t find it realistic either. Dallas has the cap space to match whatever Mabrey signs as a RFA; I would not want to give up anything just to get her. Unless we do something like swap Loyd for a Mabrey multi-year deal + their #11, we’d be stupid to give away any picks right now.

As for Charles, I don’t know why she would come back when we don’t have a contending roster, plain & simple.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/06/23 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

10 days ago Seattle was hoping to pull in Sloot and Stewie and contend

That didn’t work out and to the fans a tear down and rebuild makes total sense I agree

I am just not sure Gms and owners pivot that fast

As you said Dallas can just match so why haven’t they just given Mabrey a big offer and she signs it and they are done with it who knows? Maybe she wants out maybe they are trying to low ball

Charles may want to go to a contender but contenders also are going to have to want her if LV, Ny, wash, Conn and LA aren’t lining up to sign her someone like Minny , Atl Chicago or Seattle probably is and then there is the Dallrumor which splits the difference most of those teams have at least one potential all star so a player with a healthy ego might think they are enough to bing them into the mix

I could be wrong on all counts but I don’t think what happens in this stage of the off season is as predictable as we might think

I do agree that a sign and trade Mabrey for Loyd does work well for your rebuilding goal and Dallas’ contending goal so maybe that is the move

okstateguy

PostPosted: 02/06/23 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Natasha Mack might be a gamble worth taking for this Seattle team

PostPosted: 02/07/23 12:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:

And I would absolutely tend to agree

BUT, the last time I expressed excitement about her opportunity, this happened, so I’m just gonna 🤐 for now

okstateguy

PostPosted: 02/07/23 1:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
okstateguy wrote:

And I would absolutely tend to agree

BUT, the last time I expressed excitement about her opportunity, this happened, so I’m just gonna 🤐 for now

Don't get me wrong, I still don't think she's a league player and probably couldn't make the roster for 90% of the league, but she makes sense for a tanker. She has shown some improvements in her body and game since graduation, but her biggest downfalls still remain(low motor, low basketball iq, and always mentally behind in the game)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: