RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

S. Carolina Cancels BYU Games
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/05/22 7:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/byu-removed-lgbtq-resource-pamphlets-from-welcome-bags-for-new-students/

Maybe that's enough for Dawn too. That enough for you, ridor?

PostPosted: 09/05/22 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/byu-removed-lgbtq-resource-pamphlets-from-welcome-bags-for-new-students/

Maybe that's enough for Dawn too. That enough for you, ridor?

So why did Dawn schedule BYU to begin with? Did she not know what they were? Did she think that BYU meant 'bring your umbrellas?'

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
PRballer

PostPosted: 09/05/22 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is why I love Dawn Staley. She isn’t afraid of anyone and doesn’t need to justify this or answer to any of you either. She’s protecting her players.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/06/22 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
How is that audit in Arizona coming along? No such "incident" happened in South Carolina, and was proven to not have happened. The school DID take action in coordination with the SEC, and determined there was no "there" there to take punitive action against...

Nothing happened at SC in much the same way that nothing happened at BYU

https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2022/08/duke-volleyball-byu-police-report-banned-fan

Quote:
Brigham Young University police say that the fan who was banned after Friday’s volleyball match against Duke does not appear to have said a racial slur

Why does BYU's feelings take priority for you over South Carolina's safety?

I am standing with singerd on this issue all the way. The issue should have been dealt with while it was happening. When a Black player perceives a racial slur, they don't feel safe. Period. Whether the person actually yelled a slur or not, DEAL WITH IT WHEN IT'S HAPPENING. Especially when a school has a history of racial/sexual inappropriate behaviors, as BYU certainly does, deal with it. Pause the game. Every player deserves to feel safe. We know that FEELINGS of being unsafe often precede ACTUAL unsafe behaviors. Black people & other non-white people, gay & trans people and women have to trust our gut to avoid violence happening to us ALL THE TIME.

Not every person has the intestinal fortitude that Jackie Robinson had to have to just keep playing and ignore racial slurs - nor should they have to 50+ years after pioneers made it possible for Black people to compete on the same field or gym.

Good on Dawn for taking a stand and honoring her players in this way.

And, folks, fans waving shopping bags during a game when a player had been busted for shoplifting is nowhere close to this, so no need to bring non-racial rowdy crowds into this conversation.

~rAf
RavenDog

PostPosted: 09/08/22 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If this incident is true, in that racial slurs were used by the perpetrator, I certainly agree there is no place for this in the USA or anywhere else. This is Unacceptable behavior.

If this incident is not true, in that racial slurs were not used by the perpetrator, and as of now there is a police investigation indicating no racial slurs were used and there are witnesses who were at the scene who said there were none, my question to any lawyers on this forum (not activists, racists or race hustlers) is?

Did Staley and the USC act preemptively and without cause and are they open for a defamation lawsuit by BYU, especially, if Staley and USC cannot prove the alleged racial slurs incident happened? Remember that Staley and USC were not in any way connected to or part of this alleged incident.

Any NCAA interactions?

I'm not a lawyer and don't know the answer, so I'm just asking the question.

Howee

PostPosted: 09/08/22 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd say those are 2 ENORMOUS "Ifs".

RavenDog wrote:
If this incident is true, in that racial slurs were used by the perpetrator, I certainly agree there is no place for this in the USA or anywhere else. This is Unacceptable behavior.

Going with this option, I'd be quick to concur....BUT....if Dawn's actions are validated as "The Right Thing To Do"....then, doesn't that imply that ANY OTHER school with a black player or coach ought to do the same?? Where does this lead us?

PostPosted: 09/08/22 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/ac_hutchens/status/1565949355147665408?s=21&t=7d9P2rVqQMf8PmfRLihQ7Q

ucbart

PostPosted: 09/08/22 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
PGEver, I'm aware of this. I had to include Bubba Watson because someone mentioned him in the same category with Jussie Smollett. That's all. But you're right, NASCAR did admit that it resembled but it was used to open the garage.

Why Included Bubba in this is because even after it was proven to not be a noose, Bubba still went along with the story(I've linked it below), and rode that horse for as much publicity and money as he could. So, while he didn't make the story up, he sure as hell went along with it, and didn't denounce it either. I mean, it takes some serious mental gymnastics to make that a noose even after it was proven to not be directed at him, but go off.

Hell, ESPN tried so hard to make this another racial story, that they made a 30 for 30 about the non-noose, noose. If you can't see how Smollett and Wallace are similar, I can't help you with that. Smollett made up a hoax and Wallace thrived off one. Same duck, different pond.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/24/us/bubba-wallace-response-fbi-hate-crime-investigation/index.html

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 09/08/22 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
I'd say those are 2 ENORMOUS "Ifs".

RavenDog wrote:

Going with this option, I'd be quick to concur....BUT....if Dawn's actions are validated as "The Right Thing To Do"....then, doesn't that imply that ANY OTHER school with a black player or coach ought to do the same?? Where does this lead us?

And where does that leave the BYU volleyball team? Their players would be the ones to suffer if all other teams refused to play them. If the BYU players were being racist, maybe they would deserve it, but why should they be punished for the behavior of a fan or fans? Rachel Richardson says the BYU players reached out to her to apologize. And if you're talking about all coaches in all sports that are black or have black players, should they also boycott BYU? Where does that leave the track team or swimming or any others who weren't even involved in this incident?

Where does this stop? The only way to eliminate fans from yelling crap at opposing teams is to ban all fans in every sport, period. There will always be morons out there who slip through whatever prevention and policing systems schools put into place.

ucbart wrote:
ridor wrote:
PGEver, I'm aware of this. I had to include Bubba Watson because someone mentioned him in the same category with Jussie Smollett. That's all. But you're right, NASCAR did admit that it resembled but it was used to open the garage.

Why Included Bubba in this is because even after it was proven to not be a noose, Bubba still went along with the story(I've linked it below), and rode that horse for as much publicity and money as he could. So, while he didn't make the story up, he sure as hell went along with it, and didn't denounce it either. I mean, it takes some serious mental gymnastics to make that a noose even after it was proven to not be directed at him, but go off.

Hell, ESPN tried so hard to make this another racial story, that they made a 30 for 30 about the non-noose, noose. If you can't see how Smollett and Wallace are similar, I can't help you with that. Smollett made up a hoax and Wallace thrived off one. Same duck, different pond.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/24/us/bubba-wallace-response-fbi-hate-crime-investigation/index.html

The investigation showed that "noose" had been hanging in that garage for months at least. NASCAR assigns garage spaces based on point standings, and nobody had any way of knowing Bubba Wallace (not Watson) would be getting that space until the week before the race. It was pure luck that he was in proximity to it, and then opportunism at work. And who is going to accuse him of that except on an anonymous message board?

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/08/22 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
ridor wrote:

Jeez Loueeze. It WAS a freaking noose! This incident has NO relationship to a hoax. A Black man sees a noose, that is traumatic. It is not normal to fashion a noose, no matter how it is used, it is symbolic of thousands of murders of Black people in this country. Not a freaking duck, no freaking pond. Completely different.

If anyone thinks it's "pure coincidence" that a noose appears when a Black man is winning races, then you have no common sense. But, hey, I live in the south so I've taken it upon myself to learn about the issue of nooses and lynchings. It's about time for everyone to do the same damn thing. Educate yourselves.

~rAf
singinerd54

PostPosted: 09/08/22 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Who are you concerned about validating Dawn's actions, what would validation mean/look like to you, and who is making that implication?

FrozenLVFan wrote:
And where does that leave the BYU volleyball team? Their players would be the ones to suffer if all other teams refused to play them. If the BYU players were being racist, maybe they would deserve it, but why should they be punished for the behavior of a fan or fans?

I missed something. What has happened to the BYU volleyball team?

Howee wrote:
Where does this lead us?
FrozenLVFan wrote:
Where does this stop?

One team canceled a game with another team. What is the terrible "this" that you both refer to and when do you expect it to happen? The Duke-BYU volleyball match was two weeks ago (as of tomorrow).

Howee

PostPosted: 09/08/22 11:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, please.....stop with the passive/aggressive stuff. Rolling Eyes

singinerd54 wrote:
Howee wrote:

Who are you concerned about validating Dawn's actions, what would validation mean/look like to you, and who is making that implication?
"Validation" = people loudly proclaiming that this was the "Right Move".

FrozenLVFan wrote:
And where does that leave the BYU volleyball team? Their players would be the ones to suffer if all other teams refused to play them. If the BYU players were being racist, maybe they would deserve it, but why should they be punished for the behavior of a fan or fans?

singinerd54 wrote:
I missed something. What has happened to the BYU volleyball team?
You apparently missed the hypothetical FLVFan posited; IFF all other teams took Dawn's stance, BYU is penalized of a season's play.

Howee wrote:
Where does this lead us?
FrozenLVFan wrote:
Where does this stop?

singinerd54 wrote:
One team canceled a game with another team. What is the terrible "this" that you both refer to and when do you expect it to happen? The Duke-BYU volleyball match was two weeks ago (as of tomorrow).

Neither LVFan nor I used your adjective, "terrible". You're inserting hyperbole for the sake of trolling on a subject I no longer care to analyze with you. If you truly cannot comprehend the hypothetical ramifications Dawn's move could foster, then you're either not very intelligent or you're just trolling.

PostPosted: 09/09/22 7:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Howee wrote:
BUT....if Dawn's actions are validated as "The Right Thing To Do"....then, doesn't that imply that ANY OTHER school with a black player or coach ought to do the same?? Where does this lead us?

And where does that leave the BYU volleyball team? Their players would be the ones to suffer if all other teams refused to play them. If the BYU players were being racist, maybe they would deserve it, but why should they be punished for the behavior of a fan or fans? Rachel Richardson says the BYU players reached out to her to apologize. And if you're talking about all coaches in all sports that are black or have black players, should they also boycott BYU? Where does that leave the track team or swimming or any others who weren't even involved in this incident?

Where does this stop? The only way to eliminate fans from yelling crap at opposing teams is to ban all fans in every sport, period. There will always be morons out there who slip through whatever prevention and policing systems schools put into place.

Howee wrote:
If you truly cannot comprehend the hypothetical ramifications Dawn's move could foster, then you're either not very intelligent or you're just trolling.

I truly do comprehend that you both are proposing hypotheticals, but I also clearly see the flawed logic that those are based upon. Your arguments are examples of the slippery slope logical fallacy: "You said that if we allow A to happen, then Z will eventually happen too, therefore A should not happen. The problem with this reasoning is that it avoids engaging with the issue at hand, and instead shifts attention to extreme hypotheticals. Because no proof is presented to show that such extreme hypotheticals will in fact occur, this fallacy has the form of an appeal to emotion fallacy by leveraging fear. In effect the argument at hand is unfairly tainted by unsubstantiated conjecture." (quote from https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/slippery-slope)

We have seen that the conjectures are unsubstantiated: Dawn's actions have not been validated as "the right thing to do" nor has any (not to mention all) other team(s) taken Dawn's stance. There is no indication or grounding to think that either of these will happen.

When you begin resorting to personal insults, you should revisit the quality of your argument.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 09/09/22 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I do find it interesting that Dawn is the only coach out of the over 6,700 teams in Division 1 sports to say that they will not play BYU,

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
singinerd54

PostPosted: 09/09/22 8:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
I do find it interesting that Dawn is the only coach out of the over 6,700 teams in Division 1 sports to say that they will not play BYU,

I don't see why a coach would say anything unless they have a game scheduled at BYU on the calendar. BYU doesn't have a schedule posted for this year, but last year they had 6 non-conference home games. I don't know how far teams normally schedule out, but I'd guess it's generous to say that there are 12 other coaches who have scheduled non-conference games at BYU.

(I specify non-conference because I imagine canceling conference games would be a different beast and a lot more logistically challenging. I specify games at BYU because I assume coaches aren't taking issue with the BYU team in of itself.)

Edit: I realize now you mention all Division 1 sports, and that my response focuses only on women's basketball.

ucbart

PostPosted: 09/09/22 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BYU has completed and investigation, put out a statement, and here is the ESPN article on it.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/34555769/byu-says-found-no-evidence-racial-heckling-duke-women-volleyball-player

Howee

PostPosted: 09/09/22 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
When you begin resorting to personal insults, you should revisit the quality of your argument.

There were NO 'personal insults' directed at anyone. My words were "IFF you cannot comprehend....", and you clarified that you DID comprehend.

singinerd54 wrote:
Your arguments are examples of the slippery slope logical fallacy: "You said that if we allow A to happen, then Z will eventually happen too, therefore A should not happen. The problem with this reasoning is that it avoids engaging with the issue at hand, and instead shifts attention to extreme hypotheticals.

I believe YOUR logic is quite flawed here, and not analogous: I see this as more a case of, "If A is determined to be the proper, protective protocol, then why isn't it necessary that ALL must follow protocol 'A'?" If one team deems it necessary to deal with problem in fashion A, isn't it incumbent on ALL teams to follow suit? My OPINION: this concept is an (unspoken) implication - there's nothing hypothetical about the implication. What IS hypothetical is how others will respond or react.

Dawn can be a bit of a *Grandstander*, right along with Geno, Tara, Adia, Kelly, Jeff, Kim, etc., and that can be a positive force. Achieving success = positive attention = an elevated platform. And speaking from elevated platforms give your words and ideas far more gravity than many of your peers may have.

ucbart wrote:
BYU has completed and investigation, put out a statement, and here is the ESPN article on it.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/34555769/byu-says-found-no-evidence-racial-heckling-duke-women-volleyball-player

I gotta say....I find this a bit tough to swallow, frankly. Probably just the same as Missouri's complaint must have had some validity at SC. I can't believe Rachel made that all up.

BAD FANS are everywhere, and I doubt any school is exempt....even the Good Christian ones, like Baylor, Liberty, ND, or BYU. This shit will happen. But I think it's NOT right to hold an entire institution responsible, unless there's a documented history of that behavior.

PostPosted: 09/09/22 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:

There were NO 'personal insults' directed at anyone. My words were "IFF you cannot comprehend....", and you clarified that you DID comprehend.

singinerd54 wrote:
Your arguments are examples of the slippery slope logical fallacy: "You said that if we allow A to happen, then Z will eventually happen too, therefore A should not happen. The problem with this reasoning is that it avoids engaging with the issue at hand, and instead shifts attention to extreme hypotheticals.

I believe YOUR logic is quite flawed here, and not analogous: I see this as more a case of, "If A is determined to be the proper, protective protocol, then why isn't it necessary that ALL must follow protocol 'A'?" If one team deems it necessary to deal with problem in fashion A, isn't it incumbent on ALL teams to follow suit? My OPINION: this concept is an (unspoken) implication - there's nothing hypothetical about the implication. What IS hypothetical is how others will respond or react.

Dawn can be a bit of a *Grandstander*, right along with Geno, Tara, Adia, Kelly, Jeff, Kim, etc., and that can be a positive force. Achieving success = positive attention = an elevated platform. And speaking from elevated platforms give your words and ideas far more gravity than many of your peers may have.

ucbart wrote:

I gotta say....I find this a bit tough to swallow, frankly. Probably just the same as Missouri's complaint must have had some validity at SC. I can't believe Rachel made that all up.

BAD FANS are everywhere, and I doubt any school is exempt....even the Good Christian ones, like Baylor, Liberty, ND, or BYU. This shit will happen. But I think it's NOT right to hold an entire institution responsible, unless there's a documented history of that behavior.

I mean, BYU did interview some Duke players and staff members who said they never heard anything. Not to mention the fact that BYU mens basketball team, many of whom are black, were sitting mere feet from the area the alleged slurs were being yelled from. Surely if Rachel could hear them while she was serving on the court, the men's basketball players would've heard and subsequently done something about it.

Sorry, but this is totally made up and there is far more evidence that it didn't happen than there is that it did. I blame the godmother, but ultimately, Rachel is the one to blame. Fortunately for her, there will be 0 consequences for fabricating this story. And the ones who do call her out and hold her accountable, will be labeled racists.

What's been done to the fan in question is absolutely horrifying and the fact that she gets to live on this lie while he's persecuted, is vile.

ridor

PostPosted: 09/09/22 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart, you're impossible. I agreed with RAF, when a black person sees the noose, it triggers them to no end. Always had, always has and always will. Because they knew the history of lynchings which was done to them in the past - and these black communities always tell each other about the history of their own.

RESPECT THAT!

I'm Deaf gay man and when I went to Provo last year, I did not feel comfortable nor safe at all. BYU is rabidly anti-gay college. The town did not help as well.

When a black woman said she heard the slur, I believe her. You and others need to stop saying that there has to be an evidence. It reminds me of men who told the domestic violence victims to show and prove their wounds. Enough is enough.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/09/22 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Howee wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:

singinerd54 wrote:

ucbart wrote:

I mean, BYU did interview some Duke players and staff members who said they never heard anything. Not to mention the fact that BYU mens basketball team, many of whom are black, were sitting mere feet from the area the alleged slurs were being yelled from. Surely if Rachel could hear them while she was serving on the court, the men's basketball players would've heard and subsequently done something about it.

Sorry, but this is totally made up and there is far more evidence that it didn't happen than there is that it did. I blame the godmother, but ultimately, Rachel is the one to blame. Fortunately for her, there will be 0 consequences for fabricating this story. And the ones who do call her out and hold her accountable, will be labeled racists.

What's been done to the fan in question is absolutely horrifying and the fact that she gets to live on this lie while he's persecuted, is vile.

What is vile is referring to this as a "fabrication" and a "lie." It could have been handled differently than it was, but with BYU having a history of yelling vile racist and homophobic things at players, it seems to be an honest mistake. There is a serious underestimation of the danger that people of color are in in this country and it is known that physical attacks are preceded by verbal attacks. I'm certainly in favor of getting to the facts more quickly. But one player who hears a racial slur that she has heard way too many times before is definitely not "lying." Just as a gay or trans person has a quick trigger when it comes to verbal attacks in order to protect their safety and err on the side of overreacting. This phenomenon is WELL known by virtually all women, who have to spend so much energy avoiding physical attacks by men.

There has been one - ONE - confirmed fabrication of a racist incident. Meanwhile, Black people continue being targeted every single day. Both this incident and Bubba and the noose have NO relationship to the one fabrication that has been well publicized.

~rAf
ridor

PostPosted: 09/09/22 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Definitely.

ridor

PostPosted: 09/09/22 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RAF, you nailed it and said it much better than I did.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/09/22 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have little doubt that something happened. My guess is it was less egregious than the media reports made it out to be but more charged than the apologists would be comfortable with.

PostPosted: 09/09/22 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
ucbart, you're impossible. I agreed with RAF, when a black person sees the noose, it triggers them to no end. Always had, always has and always will. Because they knew the history of lynchings which was done to them in the past - and these black communities always tell each other about the history of their own.

RESPECT THAT!

I'm Deaf gay man and when I went to Provo last year, I did not feel comfortable nor safe at all. BYU is rabidly anti-gay college. The town did not help as well.

When a black woman said she heard the slur, I believe her. You and others need to stop saying that there has to be an evidence. It reminds me of men who told the domestic violence victims to show and prove their wounds. Enough is enough.

Simple! Ignore me. I don't have to stop saying anything.

Last edited by ucbart on 09/09/22 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
ridor

PostPosted: 09/09/22 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Already did. Thanks for the advice, racist.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: