Storm
60%
 60%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 20

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 09/04/22 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
Good Lord how many steps is this?

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1566531530335260672?s=20&t=Hkkk5_rzCByu39dPpaeHpw

One too many: she had her left foot as her pivot foot, and made her spin move, but then lifted her pivot foot and took a step forward with that pivot foot before shooting. She needed to release the ball before that pivot foot stepped back down......

tfan

PostPosted: 09/04/22 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
More than anything I LOVE that ESPN thought they had their storybook moment of Sue Bird hitting the game winning shot.

I don't think anybody thought it more than Bird. She held that arm up wrist bent pose for 4 or 5 seconds after the shot. Not sure what happened on the pick. Williams seemed to stay with Stewart initially like she thought Wilson would pick up Bird. Which left Bird wide open.

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 09/04/22 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I played it back half-speed a few times. First, A'ja seems to have dragged her non-pivot foot before she took off a couple of steps, then there seems to be another after she spun. But I'm not good at seeing this stuff!

The telling thing seems to be that the Storm crowd was not in an uproar about it. I imagine that if they had seen the travel, they would have filled the place with boos and such!

It was puzzling why Ezi kept her arms down when she could have blocked - seemed an unnatural motion - hands behind her back?

A very exciting game!

PostPosted: 09/04/22 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dear ESPN: Please tell Lobo to stop shrieking or find another broadcaster. She sounds like a banshee and my ears are bleeding.

threadkiller1201

PostPosted: 09/05/22 12:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54 wrote:
I played it back half-speed a few times. First, A'ja seems to have dragged her non-pivot foot before she took off a couple of steps, then there seems to be another after she spun. But I'm not good at seeing this stuff!

The telling thing seems to be that the Storm crowd was not in an uproar about it. I imagine that if they had seen the travel, they would have filled the place with boos and such!

It was puzzling why Ezi kept her arms down when she could have blocked - seemed an unnatural motion - hands behind her back?

A very exciting game!

About Ezi -- probably didn't want to risk an and-1, 3 point play would have won it in regulation....

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 09/05/22 12:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Dear ESPN: Please tell Lobo to stop shrieking or find another broadcaster. She sounds like a banshee and my ears are bleeding.

ESPN must tell their analyst to do that hyped up bump out as they are going into commercial break. I don't know about shrieking, but it's certainly "excitable". Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 09/05/22 4:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChasingRatDogmaSalade wrote:
craigmont wrote:

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1566531530335260672?s=20&t=Hkkk5_rzCByu39dPpaeHpw

I count two.

you can't two? two travels i hope you mean

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 09/05/22 7:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

ESPN must tell their analyst to do that hyped up bump out as they are going into commercial break. I don't know about shrieking, but it's certainly "excitable". Laughing Laughing

Maybe strident?

Of course, no one will be as "excitable" as DICK FAIN!Exclamation Laughing

It really is an annoying tendency of many in-game and studio commentators and analysts these days to show their impossible homerism (sorry pilight) - or excessive enthusiasm - through their vocal exuberance. Lisa Borders was another loud one! Folks, you have a microphone - you don't have to yell! Rolling Eyes

And whatever happened to actually calling the game instead of so much extraneous banter! Rolling Eyes

I have to admit, though, that I loved it when Slooty hit that buzzer beater three in June against the Lynx and Lisa Byington lost her sh*t - "She hit it! She hit it!!! Courtney Vandersloooooot!!!! She hit it!!" Laughing

PostPosted: 09/05/22 8:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54 wrote:

I assume she was trying to avoid being called for a foul

PostPosted: 09/05/22 8:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm really curious to see the ratings for this game. The attendance was 15k and Bird has been a ratings draw all season. ABC Sunday game in the last week before competition with the NFL. Should be big. I wonder if it could get to a million?

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 09/05/22 9:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stokes had 9 pts and 12 boards last night, which is a fine contribution from her. Hamby only played 4 minutes and looked pretty deconditioned. I don't see the latter making much difference in the 1-2 remaining games, and possibly not for the finals either. Williams is the only other bench player who got in the game. That's a pretty thin roster at this level of competition.

ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 09/05/22 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
craigmont wrote:

I count two.

In fairness, I stopped counting after the second step.

Queenie

PostPosted: 09/05/22 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

I think they do. Lobo didn’t do it when she first started out, and Andraya Carter has started picking it up. Thanks, I hate it.

I swear on my honor as a Girl Scout of the Greater New York Council, Rebecca Lobo used to be a good commentator. When she first started out, she used her experience as a Husky to provide insights about the program, not as a flimsy excuse to show bias. I thought she had so much potential, and there are times when it sounds like she still knows what she’s talking about, but 90% of the time she’s a goddamn clown, and I suspect a lot of it is due to instructions from above.

PostPosted: 09/05/22 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ChiSky54 wrote:

I assume she was trying to avoid being called for a foul

Exactly. Jackie was in shooting motion at the pass. If Ezi were called for a foul, Jackie had the opportunity to win the game in regulation with a made free throw. Ezi was 100% avoiding the foul.

~rAf
Shades

PostPosted: 09/05/22 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It kinda reminds me of the jump-stop Ashley Corral was training Cameron Brink to do here. Not a travel. Ironically enough, Cameron Brink is wearing an Aces shirt.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gzYPttHky-0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 09/05/22 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
It kinda reminds me of the jump-stop Ashley Corral was training Cameron Brink to do here. Not a travel. Ironically enough, Cameron Brink is wearing an Aces shirt.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gzYPttHky-0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

this is great move, non-travel. aja basically did this move twice.
i am very concerned that some of you are even debating that it was not a travel.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/05/22 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
Shades wrote:

this is great move, non-travel. aja basically did this move twice.
i am very concerned that some of you are even debating that it was not a travel.

And I am concerned that Seattle fans are suddenly finding complaints about officiating "not boring" when the call finally goes against their team! People travelling with the wind at their back say "what wind, you wuss?" When they return against the wind, they're outraged at the unfairness of it all.

~rAf
Shades

PostPosted: 09/05/22 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That SportsCenter tweet video is kinda grainy to see the feet and when exactly they hit the ground after the gather. But what everyone can see definitively is that none of the defenders complained or signaled for a travel. That includes Sue Bird, who was staring right at the play. Sue Bird always complains if she thinks the refs got something wrong. All she did was signal for a timeout.

If you missed all that, then I’m not sure you’re capable of counting steps or even knowing when to start counting steps on a grainy tweet video. Of course you’re going to convince yourself that you’re right.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
craigmont

PostPosted: 09/05/22 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not talking about picking up the pivot foot right after she catches the pass. Look at the spin move leading to the layup, there are 4 or 5 little steps in there after she picks up the dribble.

But I'm not surprised that nobody (including any officials apparently) was looking at her feet.

Seattle gave this game away multiple times in regulation with their own mistakes.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 09/05/22 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
craigmont wrote:

I count two.

In fairness, I stopped counting after the second step.

😁😆😂

PostPosted: 09/05/22 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think you either need nit picky refs or a way obvious travel in order to have it called in that situation.

My complaint is more clock management. Like, in an NBA game, they would spend a lot of time reviewing the time - and ESPN would show it.

It seemed pretty quick to both decide there were .8 seconds on the clock - AND that Young got the shot off on time.

Now, the refs might have spent time reviewing it, but it was very fast. And ESPN didn’t even bother to replay. Time in that situation is a huge deal.

Last edited by mercfan3 on 09/05/22 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 09/05/22 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

I think they do. Lobo didn’t do it when she first started out, and Andraya Carter has started picking it up. Thanks, I hate it.

I swear on my honor as a Girl Scout of the Greater New York Council, Rebecca Lobo used to be a good commentator. When she first started out, she used her experience as a Husky to provide insights about the program, not as a flimsy excuse to show bias. I thought she had so much potential, and there are times when it sounds like she still knows what she’s talking about, but 90% of the time she’s a goddamn clown, and I suspect a lot of it is due to instructions from above.

In every workplace an employee must do what management tells them to do or they don't have a job anymore.

PostPosted: 09/05/22 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
I think you either need nit picky refs or a way obvious travel in order to have it called in that situation.

My complaint is more clock management. Like, in an NBA game, they would spend a lot of time reviewing the time - and ESPN would show it.

It seemed pretty quick to both decide there were .8 seconds on the clock - AND that Young got the shot off on time.

They obviously just didn't see the travel. It happens. I was in the room, I didn't see it either.

Young clearly got the shot off in time, it only took one look at the replay to see that. That wasn't the least bit controversial. The most disturbing thing was Seattle's defense on that play.

craigmont

PostPosted: 09/05/22 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rebecca Lobo saw it- "lucky a travel wasn't called."

mercfan3

PostPosted: 09/05/22 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

They obviously just didn't see the travel. It happens. I was in the room, I didn't see it either.

Young clearly got the shot off in time, it only took one look at the replay to see that. That wasn't the least bit controversial. The most disturbing thing was Seattle's defense on that play.

It was just weird. You usually would see about ten replays of both. First with time remaining, second with the shot.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: