RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Dallas Wings 2023
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queenie

PostPosted: 06/19/23 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The release had to be Sims, because of the nature of hardships. As to doing a switcheroo and cutting someone else to bring Sims back on a regular contract... it looks like Dallas has approximately negative space under the cap.

PostPosted: 06/19/23 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It had to be either Sims or Brown released, because they're the ones on hardship deals. This year they've simplified the rules slightly, hence the team being allowed to pick between the two, rather than specific hardships being tied to specific players. However, as Queenie mentions, the Wings are currently over the cap, which is because Brown's deal counts for the time being as if she'll be there all year. That makes it difficult to cut a player to re-sign Sims, because Brown's deal stops there being enough space to add a new contract even after removing someone like Joens. Sorry if that didn't make sense, it's messy.

I'm also not certain they'd want Sims. Do they need three point guards? They'll just end up pissing someone off or being unable to choose. Sims has some talents, but there are also reasons that she wasn't on anyone's roster to start the season.

PostPosted: 06/19/23 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So if I'm interpreting the sliding tile puzzle correctly, once McCowan comes back, Kalani Brown gets released. Brown's deal comes off the cap and Dallas is once again in compliance. At *that* point, would they have room to yeet Joens and sign Sims? (Although I agree with you, Richyyy; I don't think they need her. Insert another similarly priced veteran for the hypothetical if you prefer.)

PostPosted: 06/19/23 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It would be very Wingsy to maneuver themselves into having six draft picks and only have one playing a quarter of they way through the season.

PostPosted: 06/20/23 5:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
So if I'm interpreting the sliding tile puzzle correctly, once McCowan comes back, Kalani Brown gets released. Brown's deal comes off the cap and Dallas is once again in compliance. At *that* point, would they have room to yeet Joens and sign Sims? (Although I agree with you, Richyyy; I don't think they need her. Insert another similarly priced veteran for the hypothetical if you prefer.)

The Brown hardship wasn't awarded for being under 10 available, it was the less common version for two players out long-term (as far as I remember). So I think it's based on Lopez Senechal and DeShields being out, and therefore McCowan returning won't end it. They could release her anyway, if they wanted, but there's no trigger until one of those injured players returns. At which point yes, they'll probably still have room to make that swap, if they want (although if it happens too late in the season, maybe not).

PostPosted: 06/21/23 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

Releasing Kalani Brown would be a big mistake. She and T make an awesome pair to compliment one another. Joens would be a better castoff.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/21/23 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Given Brown's production as a replacement, I imagine the Joens cut might well happen once Lopez Senechal or DeShields returns, in order to then re-sign Brown to the main roster.

PostPosted: 06/21/23 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Given Brown's production as a replacement, I imagine the Joens cut might well happen once Lopez Senechal or DeShields returns, in order to then re-sign Brown to the main roster.

Is there a time that has to go by before they can resign her?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/21/23 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Is there a time that has to go by before they can resign her?

Most of the time, yes. The ten-day waiting period to re-sign a player you've waived would apply. But there's a little amnesty for that rule around the mid-point of the season, so if they did it then they wouldn't have to wait. Every day that Brown is on the roster as an extra player is eating into their cap space, though. I haven't done the maths yet but at some point it might get rather more complicated and difficult to make the swap (i.e. if you cut your 12th player, but no longer have the cap room to add a new 12th player back in, you're stuck at 11).

PostPosted: 06/25/23 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After 14 games same record as 22

PostPosted: 06/26/23 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:

Is this good or bad ? Im going to assume good as most people here were upset that johnson got the boot last season . New coach first year as a HC and matching johnson's performance . Ill take it so far .

PostPosted: 06/27/23 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Problem with their record is they’ve only played the top 4 teams a total of 2x. They’ve got at least 10 games to play against teams that at this point that will light them up.

Does anyone here know what picks the Wings have in the upcoming drafts? They sacrificed their 1st Round pick in 2 years I think, but don’t they have the Sky’s first pick next season?

Guess it doesn’t matter. They wanted all the shooters they could get this season and picks 3,4,5 have netted two 3-pointers this season.

GEF34

PostPosted: 06/28/23 12:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:

Does anyone here know what picks the Wings have in the upcoming drafts? They sacrificed their 1st Round pick in 2 years I think, but don’t they have the Sky’s first pick next season?

They have their own 2024 1st Round Pick and a 2024 1st Round Pick from Chicago. In 2025 they have swap rights with Chicago’s 1st Round Pick.

Skyfan22

PostPosted: 06/28/23 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Skyfan22 wrote:

They have their own 2024 1st Round Pick and a 2024 1st Round Pick from Chicago. In 2025 they have swap rights with Chicago’s 1st Round Pick.

Thank you.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 06/28/23 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Odyssey Sims signed to standard contract

Jasmine Dickey and Ashley Joens waived

Kalani Brown released from Hardship

PostPosted: 06/28/23 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Milks26 wrote:

Is this good or bad ? Im going to assume good as most people here were upset that johnson got the boot last season . New coach first year as a HC and matching johnson's performance . Ill take it so far .

She's been a head coach before

lynxmania wrote:
Odyssey Sims signed to standard contract

Jasmine Dickey and Ashley Joens waived

Kalani Brown released from Hardship

Moves that should happened a while back. Sims should start at pg

Hope they bring Brown back. She has been good so far

PostPosted: 07/26/23 2:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA power rankings: How the Dallas Wings found a winning formula

Didn't realize till I went to get a quote that this is a paywalled article. They are offering a 50 cent a week (normally $1.99) subscription for some period of time right now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Page 16 of 16

Jump to: