RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2023
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queenie

PostPosted: 05/13/23 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

as adorable as Stef is, it would be so much easier on our cap space if someone could persuade her to pursue, IDK, goat-herding in the Alps or something

PostPosted: 05/13/23 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Someone like Seattle has to have called asking for the motherlode to take that Dolson deal, right? Something like Dolson, Kone (or Sabally, depending on who NY wants most), 2024 1st, and rights to Carrera/Fiebich, for swap-rights to 2025 third-rounders.

Opens up enough space to keep 12, so it's now Sabally (or Kone) *and* Richards *and* Prince. Also removes a guaranteed contract, so they could offer guaranteed money to Ionescu for her extension as long as it happens by Monday.

Apologies to J-Spoon, who's been suggesting Seattle for ages. Although I'm buying in more for the cap space than the player-fit.

PostPosted: 05/14/23 4:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Los Angeles has waived Reshanda Gray. Time for her to return to New York. Can't we have 15 players on our roster? If not, there are only four players currently ahead of Reshanda for our 11th and last roster spot! Smile

PostPosted: 05/15/23 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The TURK will be making a visit this week

jmvcity

PostPosted: 05/15/23 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sabrina signs multi-year extension thru 2025! So who gets cut or traded?

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/15/23 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:
Sabrina signs multi-year extension thru 2025! So who gets cut or traded?

Looks like Richyyy's comment above was right on the mark. Now we'll see what's next. This seems to increase the likelihood of an imminent trade.

PostPosted: 05/15/23 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nah, the extension is done, non-guaranteed: https://twitter.com/RichardCohen1/status/1658136305157525505?s=20

Probably makes a trade less likely now, because there'd have been that advantage to getting it done before today.

PostPosted: 05/15/23 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Nah, the extension is done, non-guaranteed: https://twitter.com/RichardCohen1/status/1658136305157525505?s=20

Probably makes a trade less likely now, because there'd have been that advantage to getting it done before today.

Thanks for clarifying.

PostPosted: 05/16/23 5:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Athletic has a Super Squad series this season dedicated to the Liberty and Aces:

https://theathletic.com/4514535/2023/05/15/aces-liberty-wnba-season-super-teams/

Here is the first installment about the forming of the "Liberty Avengers" Laughing

https://theathletic.com/4515057/2023/05/15/wnba-new-york-liberty-breanna-stewart-roster/

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned the Liberty based doc entitled, “Unfinished Business” which "...tells the story of the WNBA and one of its original franchises, the New York Liberty. The documentary follows the Liberty throughout the 2021 season, the year they returned to New York after being stuck in Westchester for two seasons prior to the 2020 wubble. It also chronicles the rise of the Liberty and the WNBA at large from its inception in 1997 up to the present day."

Apparently, it debuted on ESPN2 on Sunday and is now streaming on Amazon:

https://www.netsdaily.com/2023/5/15/23722222/unfinished-business-ny-liberty-wnba-ionescu-laney-natasha-howard-wicks-weatherspoon-didi-richards#:~:text=The%20film%20premiered%20on%20ESPN2,BAM%20Rose%20Theater%20in%20Brooklyn.

Enjoy!

Wiseone1

PostPosted: 05/16/23 5:16 pm    ::: Didi Richards Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/wbbworldwide/status/1658578942062673926?s=12

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/16/23 5:23 pm    ::: Re: Didi Richards Reply Reply with quote

Wiseone1 wrote:
https://twitter.com/wbbworldwide/status/1658578942062673926?s=12

I'm sad about Didi being waived... but in my final prediction here I didn't include her on my 11-player roster. I view this as a gutsy move by Kolb and Brondello. Many fans will surely erupt.

I see Didi as having value as a player, but not as much as various roster candidates ahead of her. I see her having a great career as a TV host, a broadcaster, a model, an "influencer," and more--but not as a professional basketball player. I hope I'm wrong. If Didi is signed by another WNBA team and does wonderfully, I'll be really happy for her.

P.S. Didi being waived suggests that no other GM wanted to trade for her. But perhaps someone will now sign her.

P.P.S. Alison Klayman's new documentary about the Liberty, UNFINISHED BUSINESS, has an important focus on the team's mediocre 2021 season. With Didi gone, there are now only two players from that team still on the Liberty: Sabrina Ionescu and Betnijah Laney.

Last edited by Bob Lamm on 05/16/23 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/16/23 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kone, Mawuli and Green are all gone too.

PostPosted: 05/16/23 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Kone, Mawuli and Green are all gone too.

Jackie Powell had predicted that the last roster spot would go to Sabally or Richards. Now I guess it's Sabally or Prince unless there's a trade coming.

Any way that New York can retain rights to Sika Kone?

PostPosted: 05/16/23 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Didi... I loved her energy. Sad

PostPosted: 05/16/23 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sad to see Richards go, she will get another chance where and when I do not know. (Expansion in 25 make sense).

I have basically been saying since Prince was signed she was going to knock off Richards for the 11th spot based on experience and maybe her built in chemistry with Stewart. The Prince signing was weird in my opinion and you don't make it if you don't think she has a solid shot.

I could see them keeping Sabally over Prince because they do need some youth and with Dolson out of contract next season Sabally seems like a natural replacement. Sabally was also a #5 pick but, Stewart, Jones, Dolson, Han Xu and sometimes Thornton does seem like enough coverage up front without Sabally and with Johannes not even in town yet Sloot, Ionescu, Willoughby and Laney who are both more SFs in my opinion does leave the 1/2 pretty thin for now

What is the waiver wire order? could we still squeeze something out of Seattle for Sabally? (who I assume they would pick up in a heartbeat if she ends up on the wire anyway).

PS someone should pick up Kone Atl, PX, LA?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/16/23 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think they cut Prince last-minute, in the hope that makes her less likely to be picked up by other teams who've set their rosters by then, and have other people who know their system. Then she's sat home in the NY area as the first phone call if and when they're hardship eligible and need her.

PostPosted: 05/16/23 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm more pissed about Kone than I am about Richards, TBH. Didi is adorable and frankly I'd hire her as the in-arena host in a heartbeat. But Sika's ceiling is way higher, and I think we fucked up by bringing her over this year when we had basically no roster space.

PostPosted: 05/16/23 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agree Kone will be really good sooner rather than later. Why not just wait a year or even two if she decided to focus on the Olympics she would still only be 23 in 2025.

Rosters are looking thin at that 4th and/or 5th post spot. Someone has to be willing to invest in her potential.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/16/23 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was hoping Kone would make the team. Looks like they're going with Sabally over Kone. Is Kone viewed as a likely WNBA post player? I'm seeing she's 6'3".
Would holding the rights to Raquela Carrera and Leonie Fiebich have any relevance here? Could part of this be Kolb feeling that the team can only absorb one or two young international players at a time? I have no knowledge here, just guessing.

PostPosted: 05/16/23 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I'm more pissed about Kone than I am about Richards, TBH. Didi is adorable and frankly I'd hire her as the in-arena host in a heartbeat. But Sika's ceiling is way higher, and I think we fucked up by bringing her over this year when we had basically no roster space.

If Kone wants to come and try to make the team you can't really stop her..

I'm not as impressed as others with Kone. I've seen those Euro numbers and tape not translate too many times to get that excited about whoever the flavor of the week is. I agree she has a higher offensive ceiling than Richards.

PostPosted: 05/16/23 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I think they cut Prince last-minute, in the hope that makes her less likely to be picked up by other teams who've set their rosters by then, and have other people who know their system. Then she's sat home in the NY area as the first phone call if and when they're hardship eligible and need her.

CO-SIGN

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/16/23 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I see Johannes still on the roster. Is she there? Is she coming?

If not, it's kinda hard to drop Prince since she's the ONLY other guard on the roster aside from Sloot and Io.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/16/23 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I see Johannes still on the roster. Is she there? Is she coming?

She's not here yet. She's coming. In June, I believe. I think it depends on when her season ends in France. Perhaps someone else has better information.

PostPosted: 05/16/23 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Sad to see Richards go, she will get another chance where and when I do not know. (Expansion in 25 make sense).

I have basically been saying since Prince was signed she was going to knock off Richards for the 11th spot based on experience and maybe her built in chemistry with Stewart. The Prince signing was weird in my opinion and you don't make it if you don't think she has a solid shot.

I could see them keeping Sabally over Prince because they do need some youth and with Dolson out of contract next season Sabally seems like a natural replacement. Sabally was also a #5 pick but, Stewart, Jones, Dolson, Han Xu and sometimes Thornton does seem like enough coverage up front without Sabally and with Johannes not even in town yet Sloot, Ionescu, Willoughby and Laney who are both more SFs in my opinion does leave the 1/2 pretty thin for now

What is the waiver wire order? could we still squeeze something out of Seattle for Sabally? (who I assume they would pick up in a heartbeat if she ends up on the wire anyway).

PS someone should pick up Kone Atl, PX, LA?

I want LA to redeem themselves and pick Kone up off the waiver wire. Still salty we let Burrell go smh.

PostPosted: 05/16/23 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

French finals are 17th/20th/22nd of May. Brondello has said they're expecting Johannes to show up once it's done. However, EuroBasket starts 3-4 weeks later - no idea exactly what her plans are in relation to that.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 15 of 18

Jump to: