New York Liberty 2023
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 08/29/22 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Brionna Jones is going to get money thrown at her from all sides in quantities not usually attainable while remaining fully clothed.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'm not knowledgeable concerning the ins and outs of salaries and contract negotiations, so does Conn have enough money to give Bri Jones a max salary next year?

Nope.

Thanks!

So she’s pretty much gone, I can’t foresee her leaving money on the table, no matter how much she enjoys the team.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/29/22 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Liberty have a real need for what Brionna Jones can provide. But I’d caution a couple of things. Not only is she not a system fit for the game the Liberty currently play, but the Liberty have a lot of personnel that still fit an outside-oriented game. They also have players that don’t play defense the way CT does, which might bring up some shortcomings in Jones’ mobility that don’t show up with CT, where almost the entire team is athletic and/or long.

Jones is an excellent player with a good mid-range game. But that’s just not what the Liberty do. It’d also mean you’d probably need pretty strong development from Willoughby and add more physical and athletic wing depth. I think it’d diminish Johannes too.

It would also probably diminish Han’s development. If she returns anyway.

On the positive side, maybe Jones can develop a three point shot. It’s not unheard of for players with her skill set to do so several years into their careers. Brunson, McCarville and Tina all come to mind.

Last edited by NYL_WNBA_FAN on 08/29/22 8:55 am; edited 2 times in total
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/29/22 8:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Even if the Liberty don’t add much outside of Sabally and the draft, if Sabally is healthy, teams aren’t going to be able to get away with pressuring 5 feet behind the three point line without paying a price. Unlike Dolson and Han, Sabally can catch the ball and put it on the floor and finish.

As Bob has also said, Nyarra can be *iffy*....But: on the premise that she's completely healthy, I'd say she's worth the gamble. I know when Oregon was stumbling (a lot!) last year, she demonstrated not only skill but great leadership when needed. I doubt she'll ever be a dominating player (I'd love to be wrong) but she can be a very strong asset, if she's cultivated correctly.

Sabally is one of those players whose inside-outside combo and athleticism IMO will translate very well to the wider-spaced pro game. And the Liberty are capable of spreading out their offense. The domino effect that a player like this can have on an offense compared to Dolson would, again IMO, be major.

Unlike Dolson, Sabally can also switch on defense and not have it be a ridiculous mismatch too.

But there’s health questions and also she’ll have to ramp up her conditioning once she’s recovered. So time will tell on that.

PostPosted: 08/29/22 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I passed this along and he said that he’s not officially gone but has no firm plans to return.

I'm sending you a private message.

Thx. I wrote you back.

PostPosted: 08/29/22 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Brionna Jones is going to get money thrown at her from all sides in quantities not usually attainable while remaining fully clothed.

I'm not knowledgeable concerning the ins and outs of salaries and contract negotiations, so does Conn have enough money to give Bri Jones a max salary next year?

Nope.

Thanks!

So she’s pretty much gone, I can’t foresee her leaving money on the table, n matter how much she enjoys the team.
So many posters here on Rebkell are lusting after Jones because they know that Connecticut can not offer her a significant raise in her salary.

PostPosted: 08/29/22 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Nope.

Thanks!

So she’s pretty much gone, I can’t foresee her leaving money on the table, n matter how much she enjoys the team.
So many posters here on Rebkell are lusting after Jones because they know that Connecticut can not offer her a significant raise in her salary.

It seems to me she's not a max salary. But somewhere around $150. Will someone give her max?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/29/22 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think BJones will absolutely get max offers. Question is whether she takes a little less to stay in Connecticut (and whether they make more significant changes that alters the maths all around).

PostPosted: 08/29/22 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Nope.

Thanks!

It seems to me she's not a max salary. But somewhere around $150. Will someone give her max?

Do you think she doesn’t deserve a max salary? If Dolson is earning max, Bri Jones absolutely deserves one!

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 08/29/22 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dolson makes 160k and is slightly over paid

Someone would/should offer B. Jones near max to tempt her away from conn. Conn could offer her something in the 120k range.

I don’t think it will be NY as NY has ok post coverage with Howard, Dolson , Han Xu hopefully, Sabally hopefully and maybe Kone and with Allen and Onyenwere in small ball situations. Now if Han Xu doesn’t return and Sabally can’t get healthy NY would consider B . Jones I am sure she is still one of the top post free agents out there but I would think LA, Atl, Minny and Washington might all make better offers and because of a possible bidding war Jones should be able to get max or near max Monet imo

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/29/22 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dolson is like 150-160k. While not max, it unequivocally means that Jones deserves max. She’s a good offensive player and excellent defensively. Just needs the right fit.

PostPosted: 08/29/22 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stewie and Nneka are the main two posts that make sense for NY. But Stewie may decide to stay in Seattle and Nneka is most definitely staying with Cheney.

It’s going to be interesting what the Libs do. If you add Diggins, for instance, that means you gotta give up something that leaves you with a hole elsewhere. If you add Sykes, she brings toughness and some on-court leadership. But she also isn’t a great shooter and might be less effective if her touches are rare.

It feels like with a lot of the potential free agents, etc. that if you add someone, while their strengths will help, their weaknesses (or what you have to trade) would result in kind of a lateral move.

PostPosted: 08/29/22 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Dolson makes 160k and is slightly over paid

Someone would/should offer B. Jones near max to tempt her away from conn. Conn could offer her something in the 120k range.

I don’t think it will be NY as NY has ok post coverage with Howard, Dolson , Han Xu hopefully, Sabally hopefully and maybe Kone and with Allen and Onyenwere in small ball situations. Now if Han Xu doesn’t return and Sabally can’t get healthy NY would consider B . Jones I am sure she is still one of the top post free agents out there but I would think LA, Atl, Minny and Washington might all make better offers and because of a possible bidding war Jones should be able to get max or near max Monet imo

All good points. I think Jones would be a good fit in Minnesota where they like to have strong posts. Atlanta might be good too but one of their broadcasts mentioned that ideally they’d prefer not to play Parker at C.

PostPosted: 08/29/22 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Stewie and Nneka are the main two posts that make sense for NY. But Stewie may decide to stay in Seattle and Nneka is most definitely staying with Cheney.

NOOOO....tell me she's NOT going into politics!! Shocked Razz Laughing

I think adding Breanna (period) could probably be all that the Libs need for a Championship, personally. And yeah, she's got a home in WA, but....tons of pros make moves for the right reasons. ANDDD....she IS from upstate NY. That part of her family might be a draw, too.

PostPosted: 08/29/22 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think on paper Diggins-Smith makes a lot of sense as a backcourt partner for Ionescu but I am not all that excited to make that move I would assume the price would be Laney and #6 or Howard and #6. (unless Johannes and Taursi are friends and Johannes commits to show up all season than maybe Johannes and #6 could work but that seems like a stretch, could probably throw in Willoughby or Onyenwere if that makes a difference).

If Stewart wants to come than that is that, NY is a contender, hooray but I don't see it happening. I think Stewart stays in Seattle and And Sloot teams up with her and Loyd and Seattle continues to roll on as a contender for years.

Mabrey? She is a RFA agent and is from NJ, Dallas would be silly to let her go but could be worth a shot.

A. Stevens? Seem like a better post fit with NY's system. If everyone stays healthy a future post rotation of Howard, Stevens, Sabally and Han Xu is interesting.

ATM I am not seeing big moves happening, getting Johannes and Han Xu to return, bringing in Sabally (and or Kone or Carrera could help) adding in the #6 pick, seems like the more likely moves.

If Dangerfield isn't our answer at PG or back up PG, would Jefferson or Wheeler be any better? L. Brown? My preference and More cost effective if she can hold onto her 3 ball would be L. Allen who is the type of PG Ionescu seems to thrive with. maybe Cazorla would like a summer in NY?

Howee

PostPosted: 08/29/22 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I think Stewart stays in Seattle and And Sloot teams up with her and Loyd and Seattle continues to roll on as a contender for years.

Courtney leave Chicago? I can't see that, with Quigley there - unless you know something I don't know.Shocked

PostPosted: 08/29/22 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
I think Stewart stays in Seattle and And Sloot teams up with her and Loyd and Seattle continues to roll on as a contender for years.

Courtney leave Chicago? I can't see that, with Quigley there - unless you know something I don't know.Shocked

They’re both technically UFAs

And they both only signed one year deals with Chicago last season

Who knows but I like the storyline

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/29/22 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Quigley's playing her last games inside the next few weeks, which then makes Vandersloot potentially more likely to move. She surely must be at least open to the possibility, or why only sign for one year last offseason?

PostPosted: 08/30/22 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I think Quigley's playing her last games inside the next few weeks, which then makes Vandersloot potentially more likely to move. She surely must be at least open to the possibility, or why only sign for one year last offseason?

theoretically agree. but they bought and have established a nice home in Chicago. I assume they're still going overseas, (but not to Russia) in the Winter, so coming back to a real home for a few months has to be appealing. That's not to say they couldn't establish a home in Seattle as well.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/30/22 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.beyondwomenssports.com/what-the-new-york-liberty-could-look-like-in-2023/

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/30/22 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

theoretically agree. but they bought and have established a nice home in Chicago. I assume they're still going overseas, (but not to Russia) in the Winter, so coming back to a real home for a few months has to be appealing. That's not to say they couldn't establish a home in Seattle as well.

Vandersloot's going to Hungary to play. Quigley's going with her, but last I heard only to cheer from the stands and look after the dogs.

PostPosted: 08/31/22 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

NOOOO....tell me she's NOT going into politics!! Shocked Razz Laughing

At least one of them was mentored by Condi Rice while at Stanford, so that might not be farfetched. But probably not topical.

PostPosted: 09/07/22 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Liberty have announced that Michaela Onyenwere today underwent a successful left knee arthroscopy with partial lateral meniscetomy at the Hospital for Special Surgery. She will begin rehab with the team's training staff and do so over the next several weeks. Later she will join Besitkas J.K. in Istanbul, Turkey, and finish her return to play program.

PostPosted: 09/07/22 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, that possibly explains a lot.

PostPosted: 09/08/22 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
The Liberty have announced that Michaela Onyenwere today underwent a successful left knee arthroscopy with partial lateral meniscetomy at the Hospital for Special Surgery. She will begin rehab with the team's training staff and do so over the next several weeks. Later she will join Besitkas J.K. in Istanbul, Turkey, and finish her return to play program.

Shocked Even so, she was still better than most of your other options at her position. So will be interesting to see if she can improve once her leg is healthy again.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 09/14/22 12:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kiah Stokes is now one victory away from a ring!!!

Not a hard choice for this Liberty fan. One team, which Bill Laimbeer helped build, now has Becky Hammon as its GM and coach, Kiah Stokes, and Sydney Colson. The other has Bria Hartley and Joyner Holmes. (Have I missed anyone?) I've got to go with the Aces.

I can see it now. For the first 39 minutes of Game Three Kiah is 0-5 on three-pointers. But with the Aces down two and just seconds remaining on the clock, Kiah hits a LONG, desperation three-pointer to bring the title to Las Vegas!

GO KIAH!!! Smile

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 2 of 18

Jump to: