RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Womens Basketball Discord chat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we start a Discord chat?
Yes
54%
 54%  [ 13 ]
No
45%
 45%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 24

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/27/22 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
I find it very unethical for a competitor to advertise their site on an existing board and then claim it's different and they're not trying to lure away members of the existing board. JMO.

I'm not even clear on why this is up for a vote
: can't anyone here start such a thing on their own

Of course anyone like eibln can start a forum, and then face the Darwinian struggle to attract and keep members. The "poll" that started this thread is just a cynical recruiting device. Eibln never intended to "abide" by the results of the poll. The whole intent was just was just a gimmick to publicize his or her site and to lure RebKell members to it.

That's because of what I said earlier: Search engines won't index Discord sites, so very few people are going to find eibln's Discord site via search engines. Thus, his or her obvious alternative recruitment tactic for getting some start-up members is to boldly appear on established WBB sites such as this one to engage in a naked recruitment pitch.

Why this board has been suckered into allowing this to happen is astonishing to me as a 17-year member here, and especially as the owner/administrator of a board myself into which I've poured thousands of hours of uncompensated time. I invite eibln and his cohorts to appear on the Boneyard, Summitt or WBBDaily with their "complementary ice cream parlor" gambit and see how many nanoseconds their posts last there.

Once upon a time in September 2016, when a competitive site was being excessively hawked and promoted in threads here after Reb's server problems interrupted service, this is how, in part, a RebKell moderator responded after deleting several links and posts:

Quote:
. . . I hope everyone can understand that there are some people who help run this board and have enjoyed this community for the 10+ years it has been here, and they don't appreciate the operator of another board throwing insults at the guy who made and still makes this one possible . . . . If they want to kill the good will then that is their choice, but they should not then expect any promotion here.

Quote:
. . . IMO it's in extremely poor taste to put a post here bad-mouthing this forum and its creator and telling people where they should go instead. It is really a surprise to you that that is unwelcome? If you stood in the entrance of Burger King shouting "The food here is shit! Go next door to McDonald's it's awesome there!" would you really expect BK to be cool with that?

Amen!

Last edited by GlennMacGrady on 08/27/22 9:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/27/22 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The point being that we no longer have a mod, since Queenie abdicated the throne, and nobody else seems willing to ascend. (Hell no, don't look at me, enough of you don't like me already!) So someone feels free to come in here and do exactly what eibin is doing.

PostPosted: 09/12/22 5:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Updated Discord Invite Link:

https://discord.gg/35b27egA5V

The community on the discord continues to grow, we would be happy to see more members join! Please give it a try.

ridor

PostPosted: 09/12/22 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I read the wiki about Discord - I had been hearing plenty about Discord but never bother to download and I realized that it is largely composed of voice calls.

I'm Deaf. It is worthless for me. So shall I remain here on Rebkell.

Queenie

PostPosted: 09/12/22 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
I read the wiki about Discord - I had been hearing plenty about Discord but never bother to download and I realized that it is largely composed of voice calls.

I'm Deaf. It is worthless for me. So shall I remain here on Rebkell.

That’s bad information. While voice chat is possible, it’s not mandatory. I haven’t gotten on a voice chat on Discord in months.

(now with spelling variations)
ridor

PostPosted: 09/12/22 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Then explain.

Queenie

PostPosted: 09/12/22 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
Then explain.

It’s like a chat room, or a group of them. You type, and people type back, somewhat faster than they generally do on a message board.

Discord does have voice chat capacity, but I’ve only ever used it when I was gaming with my friends- and even then, we frequently ran sessions where some people were in voice chat and some people were in the text channel and one person would type out information that was being voiced, because we did have a couple of Deaf people in our group, as well as other people who had other issues with hearing or being heard. It's an optional feature, not a requirement of Discord’s use.

I would really prefer everyone else avoid restarting the flame war and I will simply restate my position that no one is telling anyone to abandon Reb’s.

(now with spelling variations)
summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/13/22 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just wish eibin would stop peddling the Discord chat here.

PostPosted: 09/13/22 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
no one is telling anyone to abandon Reb’s.

Technically correct, Queenie, because "telling" would be an inapt verb, which implies someone in authority issuing commands.

The apt verbs would include "recruiting", "encouraging", "seducing", "enticing", "persuading", "coaxing", "inducing", "inveigling", "inviting", "luring", "steering", "wheedling", "baiting", "cajoling", "urging" and "conning"—any one of which is inappropriate in someone else's home.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 09/13/22 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
ridor wrote:
Then explain.

It’s like a chat room, or a group of them. You type, and people type back, somewhat faster than they generally do on a message board.

Discord does have voice chat capacity, but I’ve only ever used it when I was gaming with my friends- and even then, we frequently ran sessions where some people were in voice chat and some people were in the text channel and one person would type out information that was being voiced, because we did have a couple of Deaf people in our group, as well as other people who had other issues with hearing or being heard. It's an optional feature, not a requirement of Discord’s use.

I would really prefer everyone else avoid restarting the flame war and I will simply restate my position that no one is telling anyone to abandon Reb’s.

I would really prefer that eibln had never posted here.

We can't always get what we want.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 09/13/22 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Queenie wrote:
no one is telling anyone to abandon Reb’s.

Technically correct, Queenie, because "telling" would be an inapt verb, which implies someone in authority issuing commands.

The apt verbs would include "recruiting", "encouraging", "seducing", "enticing", "persuading", "coaxing", "inducing", "inveigling", "inviting", "luring", "steering", "wheedling", "baiting", "cajoling", "urging" and "conning"—any one of which is inappropriate in someone else's home.

Thank you for saving me the trouble of responding to this part of Queenie's post.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 09/13/22 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

+1.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/14/22 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

+1.

+2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: