RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Womens Basketball Discord chat
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we start a Discord chat?
Yes
54%
 54%  [ 13 ]
No
45%
 45%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 24

eibln

PostPosted: 08/20/22 6:31 pm    ::: Womens Basketball Discord chat Reply Reply with quote

I was looking at making discord chat for this forum. My softball chat board recently went to discord, and it has been great. Just wondering what the interest would be.

Last edited by eibln on 08/21/22 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Queenie

PostPosted: 08/20/22 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m down with that! I’m already on Discord for various mobile games and writing groups, so I’d love to add another server to the pile. The only thing that concerns me about Discord is the lack of transparency for new arrivals- yes, you can search the chat once you’re already there, but you don’t necessarily know what you’re getting into beforehand.

Realtime moderation is also a thing. One of the servers I’m on has maybe half a dozen people in chat regularly, and the admin still occasionally has to hit someone with a rolled-up newspaper. Given the... ah, strong personalities?... we see a lot of on this board, things could escalate very quickly without careful moderation across a variety of timezones. (On the other hand, Discord’s own software has robust blocking and muting capabilities, so if someone is beating their dead hobbyhorse, you can ignore them.)

(now with spelling variations)
undersized_post

PostPosted: 08/20/22 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Consider me interested! I believe I lurk in the softball one you referenced, but I don't post much. I second everything Queenie said.

PostPosted: 08/20/22 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm interested too!

eibln

PostPosted: 08/21/22 12:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well i think we will need a few more people to make the discord worth it.I would like to see it get pretty good sized like the softball one I am on. I would also need some people interested in being moderators. I am going to begin the set up for it.

I added a poll to the original post to see if people are interested and how many aren’t.

Durantula

PostPosted: 08/21/22 6:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Explain how a discord chat works and what makes it better than a forum like this plus the game thread forum.

I've never used discord and part of me doesn't like how I need to register before seeing anything. I used to read rebkell before signing up, I liked how I could basically preview it without needing to provide any credentials to register.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/21/22 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let me see if I understand this.

You're on the RebKell site asking people if they want to leave the RebKell site to use something else???

That seems kind of messed up to me.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
eibln

PostPosted: 08/21/22 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m not asking people to leave this site, I’m just offering a better set up and better organized, easier access, as well as an app you can just put on your phone to see the conversation. Discord is a nice set up, and pretty easy to navigate. It will be moderated. We started using discord for one of my softball chat boards, and it has been a huge success. Not sure how this could seem messed up, it’s an opportunity to expand the community, and improve and advance ourselves.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 08/21/22 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I understand RebKell's is a dear, longtime friend to many users here. I totally respect that, and I'm glad I stumbled across it. But starting a discord would be an undeniably massive technological upgrade in terms of ease of access with much more modern messaging features.

PostPosted: 08/21/22 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

You're on the RebKell site asking people if they want to leave the RebKell site to use something else???

We got here by leaving other sites.

Discord has definite advantages over the 2005 vintage message board software we're using here.

PostPosted: 08/21/22 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anything that requires cell phone service to receive 2FA codes or set up an Authy app won't work where I live. I didn't vote because anyone can obviously set this up if they want, but it's not useful to me.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/21/22 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eibln wrote:
I’m not asking people to leave this site, I’m just offering a better set up and better organized, easier access, as well as an app you can just put on your phone to see the conversation. Discord is a nice set up, and pretty easy to navigate. It will be moderated. We started using discord for one of my softball chat boards, and it has been a huge success. Not sure how this could seem messed up, it’s an opportunity to expand the community, and improve and advance ourselves.

You could be a politician with an answer like that. Laughing Laughing

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/21/22 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Discord has definite advantages over the 2005 vintage message board software we're using here.

But didn't those sites go away on their own or announce (ESPN) that they were?

pilight

PostPosted: 08/21/22 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
pilight wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

ESPN message boards persisted for years after the founding of RebKell. World Crossing did not.

PostPosted: 08/21/22 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
pilight wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

ESPN message boards persisted for years after the founding of RebKell. World Crossing did not.

Wasn't that because ESPN forgot about the board? Turned all of them off but the one? I seem to recall it being referred to as the 'hidden' board. You had to either had to already have the site bookmarked or somehow be given the link by another poster.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 08/21/22 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Anything that requires cell phone service to receive 2FA codes or set up an Authy app won't work where I live. I didn't vote because anyone can obviously set this up if they want, but it's not useful to me.

The smartphone app is handy for people who want it, but you can just as easily use Discord on a computer, either by downloading it as a desktop app or going to the website.

PostPosted: 08/21/22 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

can someone explain the advantages?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/21/22 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have no idea what Discord is. Someone would have to explain why it is better than a discussion forum platform, of which there already is an existing alternative for WBB: https://wbbdaily.boards.net/.

I rarely communicate at all with a phone, other than voice calls or very occasionally for some quick administration of my own site, so I wouldn't participate in any internet discussions via phone. Phones, in my opinion, are a leading cause of death for serious discussion forums, simply because phone keyboards deter in-depth writing.

I never participated in the ESPN WNBA forum, but it seemed to wither away or get shut down several years before the two ESPN WCBB forums were merged and then finally shut down around 10 years ago.

I'm skeptical there is enough cyberspace interest in non-partisan, eclectic WBB discussion to make any venue as populous, lively, informative and interesting as were the boards on ESPN (deceased), Full Court Press (deceased), College Fans Only (end-stage coma) and here (increasingly unstable condition and failing pulse) 10-15 years ago. A few partisan college team discussion sites still flourish.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/21/22 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eibln wrote:
I’m not asking people to leave this site, I’m just and , , as well as to see the conversation. Discord is a , and pretty . It . We started using discord for one of my softball chat boards, and it has been a huge success. Not sure how this could seem messed up, it’s an opportunity to expand the community, and improve and advance ourselves.

eibln wrote:
offering a better set up

How?
eibln wrote:
easier access

Not sure what could be easier than this.
eibln wrote:
better organized

How?
eibln wrote:
an app you can just put on your phone

Yes, let's just keep adding shit to our phones. FWIW, I hardly ever read or post with my phone. Gives me a headache!
eibln wrote:
nice set up

How?
eibln wrote:
easy to navigate

Is this not easy enough for you?
eibln wrote:
will be moderated

This could be moderated.

You haven't even been here 1.5 years and have only posted 36 times! What is so 'wrong' with this board? Why should we trust/believe you that what you are trying to sell is so great?

Queenie

PostPosted: 08/21/22 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

I do most of my Discord chat on the computer through the browser version of the app. I do most typing related stuff on my phone, TBH.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 08/21/22 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No opinion one way or another as I'm so out of touch I don't even know what Discord is Smile.

I had forgotten about the 'hidden ESPN board' though so that was a fun trip down memory lane...

Queenie

PostPosted: 08/21/22 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
pilight wrote:

You’ve been around long enough to see people asking for a block function on this board. Discord has that functionality- you’ll see that there are blocked messages, but not what they are or who they’re from (unless you choose to show them).

It’s both desktop and mobile-friendly, which is more than I can say for this board’s layout at times.

You have the option to create notes for yourself about people, in case your mental rolodex is starting to lose cards and you can’t remember who someone roots for.

I’ll admit that I don’t use the notification system on this board, but I like the notification settings on Discord- you can set it to ping you for any updates, updates that specifically @ you, or updates that @ a role. (Roles are groups that can be used to filter channel access, so, for example, the admin could make the #seattlestorm channel visible only to people with the @StormFans role. Which is another possible bonus; team-dedicated channels could avoid some of the griefing that goes on in the current team threads.)

No one is advocating that we completely replace the message board with a Discord server. But I agree with the original poster that it would be a good complement to the board, and it would give us a backup option for those days when the software goes PHPBB at us and critical errors abound.

eibln

PostPosted: 08/22/22 1:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
myrtle wrote:
pilight wrote:

You’ve been around long enough to see people asking for a block function on this board. Discord has that functionality- you’ll see that there are blocked messages, but not what they are or who they’re from (unless you choose to show them).

It’s both desktop and mobile-friendly, which is more than I can say for this board’s layout at times.

You have the option to create notes for yourself about people, in case your mental rolodex is starting to lose cards and you can’t remember who someone roots for.

I’ll admit that I don’t use the notification system on this board, but I like the notification settings on Discord- you can set it to ping you for any updates, updates that specifically @ you, or updates that @ a role. (Roles are groups that can be used to filter channel access, so, for example, the admin could make the #seattlestorm channel visible only to people with the @StormFans role. Which is another possible bonus; team-dedicated channels could avoid some of the griefing that goes on in the current team threads.)

No one is advocating that we completely replace the message board with a Discord server. But I agree with the original poster that it would be a good complement to the board, and it would give us a backup option for those days when the software goes PHPBB at us and critical errors abound.

I really appreciate you helping explain the advantages of discord. I may not have posted much on here but I am not fond of the set up of this board. I am not asking people to leave this board. I still talk on discord and the chat board that I was on for softball. You can do both if you want. I was trying to give something more advanced and easier to use with a better set up.

Ex-Ref clearly just seems opposed to the idea all together. I would say give it a shot before you shoot it down. It took my a little bit to get used to it but I like the discord chat.

I am in the process of finishing the set up for the discord. Hoping the everything will be ready by the end of the week.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/22/22 7:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eibln wrote:
Queenie wrote:
myrtle wrote:
pilight wrote:

I really appreciate you helping explain the advantages of discord. I may not have posted much on here but I am not fond of the set up of this board. I am not asking people to leave this board. I still talk on discord and the chat board that I was on for softball. You can do both if you want. I was trying to give something more advanced and easier to use with a better set up.

Ex-Ref clearly just seems opposed to the idea all together. I would say give it a shot before you shoot it down. It took my a little bit to get used to it but I like the discord chat.

I am in the process of finishing the set up for the discord. Hoping the everything will be ready by the end of the week.

Not as opposed to the 'idea' as much as I am to the 'snake-oily' way it was done.

Coyotes

PostPosted: 08/22/22 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Personally, I find the Discord helpful for a small group of people -- as I'm the current moderator for a small gaggle of us who play Fantasy League. I will echo some of the others in that moderation has been key. While I know that there's room for healthy debate, I had made the executive decision to shut down any conversations surrounding masking, the pandemic, and poly-ticks given the passionate but polarizing views that exists. Newspaper smacking is indeed needed. With that being said, if you're going to tackle a larger discord server, I might suggest having two or three moderators (admins) to begin because things can get out of hand relatively quickly.

Personally, I've enjoyed the Discord as in the games we've watched together there's more chatter and more "instantaneous" feedback over plays or Pokey Chatman doing whatever she's doing on the sidelines or Gustafson stealing some goggles. Queenie is ALWAYS ready to chime in with a witty retort. Honestly, the game threads just don't inspire a lot of enthusiasm for me these days -- and a part of that is because by the time someone comments on a moment in a game- I've moved on.

I've also considered hosting, say, old games from time to time. I can actually use Discord to "stream" a game that's publicly available on Youtube or elsewhere so that we can all watch together. As we enter the run up to the season, I might consider using Discord to host an evening with memorable games from the past for those interested and we can talk about the powers of yesteryear with Old Dominion, Louisiana Tech, etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: