RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Kia Vaughn Retires

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BamaEd

PostPosted: 08/15/22 4:44 pm    ::: Kia Vaughn Retires Reply Reply with quote

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChQlEizu9zN/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Good solid career for her. All the best going forward.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/15/22 5:16 pm    ::: Re: Kia Vaughn Retires Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:

Our sports culture (and other parts of our culture) too often put forward the message: if you're not a star, you're nothing. Kia Vaughn played for 13 years in the WNBA; I view that as impressive. As a Liberty fan, I saw six of her seasons and she always gave her all. Wishing her well.

PostPosted: 08/15/22 7:44 pm    ::: Re: Kia Vaughn Retires Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
BamaEd wrote:

Our sports culture (and other parts of our culture) too often put forward the message: if you're not a star, you're nothing. Kia Vaughn played for 13 years in the WNBA; I view that as impressive. As a Liberty fan, I saw six of her seasons and she always gave her all. Wishing her well.

Well put Bob, X_________________________

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 08/15/22 8:07 pm    ::: Re: Kia Vaughn Retires Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
BamaEd wrote:

Agreed! I'm definitely going to miss seeing Kia out there! I saw a post that said she, CP and Quigs are the last of the 2008 group.

Queenie

PostPosted: 08/15/22 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That post is wrong; Vaughn was class of 2009. I was there.

(I may have had some loud comments about our draft choices that day.)

(No, they were not directly to Kia, I’m not that kind of asshole.)

PostPosted: 08/15/22 10:51 pm    ::: Re: Kia Vaughn Retires Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
BamaEd wrote:

Amen to this.
Good luck to Kia!

PostPosted: 08/15/22 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks to LibFan, WfanFrJmp, and Chicago Annie for supporting my criticism of the view that "If you're not a star, you're nothing." I've tried to challenge this both inside and outside sports culture over a long period of time. Kia Vaughn's 13 seasons in the WNBA are a great example.

PostPosted: 08/16/22 12:05 am    ::: Re: Kia Vaughn Retires Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
Lib Fan wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
BamaEd wrote:

Agreed! I'm definitely going to miss seeing Kia out there! I saw a post that said she, CP and Quigs are the last of the 2008 group.

Parker and Fowles were 1-2 in that draft, Quigs was second round, and KRYSTAL Vaughn from VCU was third round.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 08/16/22 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Thanks to LibFan, WfanFrJmp, and Chicago Annie for supporting my criticism of the view that "If you're not a star, you're nothing." I've tried to challenge this both inside and outside sports culture over a long period of time. Kia Vaughn's 13 seasons in the WNBA are a great example.

Kia was enough of a star to appear on the TV show 'Say Yes To The Dress', back in 2014. Cool

PostPosted: 08/16/22 7:00 pm    ::: Re: Kia Vaughn Retires Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:
Lib Fan wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
BamaEd wrote:

Parker and Fowles were 1-2 in that draft, Quigs was second round, and KRYSTAL Vaughn from VCU was third round.

Ahhh gotcha! Thank you for the clarification!

Howee

PostPosted: 08/16/22 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still remember Kia from her days at Rutgers, and the infamous TN/Rutgers game, etc.

Though not a Rutgers fan/follower, I really enjoyed some of their stars, like Kia, Cappie, Epiphanny, etc. Old faves of mine also include Tammy Sutton-Brown, Essence, Matee and Chelsea.

Betnijah, Kahlea and Erica are carrying on the honor nicely, too. Quite a tradition, back in their halcyon days.

PostPosted: 08/16/22 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was skeptical that she could make a w career. But good for her. a nice career. Hope she does well in whatever she chooses to do now.

scullyfu

PostPosted: 08/17/22 5:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was impressed by the Rutgers’ womens’ team during that Imus fiasco. Been a Kia fan ever since. The fact that we have the same last name has not one thing to do with it. Smile

Much success to Kia going forward. She was the kind of blue collar worker that I appreciate, nothing fancy just put on your hard hat & do your job, no drama. Kudos on a long career, Kia.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: