johnjohnW wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
Spark4Life wrote:
How can they afford to sign Candace Durant? Laughing

It's giving very that.

It's giving nothing like that.

It’s giving ultra-accomplished pop star with years of experience who embarks on a Vegas residency to end their touring career…

…so for example, one could say, it’s giving Cher 😜

That is actually fucking hilarious.

I actually really like Candace and like the Aces. I just don't like moves like this. I'd rather watch Parker compete against the Aces than play for them.

🤠 If even one person found that funny, it was worth it! 😊

I’ll forever side-eye this Aces organization now since I’m choosing to believe Dearica Hamby’s allegations – which, btw, haven’t gone away on Twitter, as her name started trending at the same time Parker & her signing announcement did. People are asking, “How is CP really gonna not say title-chasing is why she’s signing with this Aces organization, but instead say that ‘family values’ of all things is?” And I’m wondering the same thing myself…

mercfan3

PostPosted: 01/28/23 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Second time in a row Candace shows us who she is..I’ll be interested in how she and Becky work out..

I kinda expect something similar from Stewart, but now I gotta root for her to do it so the Aces don’t get a cakewalk, when I was actually interested in seeing how Stewie handled adversity,

PostPosted: 01/29/23 12:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I forgot 3) Unlike KD to the Warriors, Parker, while still very good, is significantly past her prime.

johnjohnW wrote:
Of course Candace to the Aces is not a carbon copy of Durant to GS but there are enough similarities for it to be giving very that. It's joinging a team that does not need your talent to win a championship (just like Durant joining GS). Good for her and good for him but it's not for me, so please allow me to #hatehard for my own reasons regardless of their logic.

I support the #HateHard unconditionally. I just can't support the analogy. This is closer to Malone to the Lakers than it is KD to the Warriors. Maybe even Pippen to the Rockets.

In W terms, it's more like Charles to the Storm, except this will probably actually work.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 01/29/23 1:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also (recklessly speculating here), has anyone considered the possibility that Parker decided to leave the Sky because the front office gave her the heads up that Vandersloot is leaving (or that Courtney told her herself), and she didn't want to spend her last years as part of a rebuild?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
DTP

PostPosted: 01/29/23 1:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Candace went to an organization closer to home to prioritize her family and also gets to reunite with her best friend (Gray). I think I read somewhere that her wife has a really good relationship with Becky from their playing days too....add in the Fargas connection as well, the situation makes too much sense for her.

I'm not going to hate....good for her for doing what's best for her.

Spark4Life

PostPosted: 01/29/23 3:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Second time in a row Candace shows us who she is..

Some of us have seen princess for who she is for a few decades now 🤣

GEF34

PostPosted: 01/29/23 4:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
Spark4Life wrote:

It's giving very that.

It’s giving ultra-accomplished pop star with years of experience who embarks on a Vegas residency to end their touring career…

That is actually fucking hilarious.

I actually really like Candace and like the Aces. I just don't like moves like this. I'd rather watch Parker compete against the Aces than play for them.

🤠 If even one person found that funny, it was worth it! 😊

I’ll forever side-eye this Aces organization now since I’m choosing to believe Dearica Hamby’s allegations – which, btw, haven’t gone away on Twitter, as her name started trending at the same time Parker & her signing announcement did. People are asking, “How is CP really gonna not say title-chasing is why she’s signing with this Aces organization, but instead say that ‘family values’ of all things is?” And I’m wondering the same thing myself…

She literally says “To play for a championship close to home is the perfect situation for us”. I don’t see how she can’t be any clearer she wants a championship and that’s why she picked the Aces.

GEF34

PostPosted: 01/29/23 4:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spark4Life wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Second time in a row Candace shows us who she is..

Some of us have seen princess for who she is for a few decades now 🤣

So you knew exactly who she was before high school? I didn’t realize she got that much attention you could tell exactly who she was back then.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/29/23 7:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
I forgot 3) Unlike KD to the Warriors, Parker, while still very good, is significantly past her prime.

johnjohnW wrote:
Of course Candace to the Aces is not a carbon copy of Durant to GS but there are enough similarities for it to be giving very that. It's joinging a team that does not need your talent to win a championship (just like Durant joining GS). Good for her and good for him but it's not for me, so please allow me to #hatehard for my own reasons regardless of their logic.

I support the #HateHard unconditionally. I just can't support the analogy. This is closer to Malone to the Lakers than it is KD to the Warriors. Maybe even Pippen to the Rockets.

In W terms, it's more like Charles to the Storm, except this will probably actually work.

I agree with the Charles analogy. The main difference there was Charles shamelessly ring chasing by jumping to Washington, then Phoenix and then Seattle.

For better or worse, Durant is going to always be shorthand for questionable bandwagon jumping.

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/29/23 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Spark4Life wrote:

It's giving very that. I respected her move to Chicago because of hometown connection and she joined a team that just wasn't getting over the hump despite their yearly buzz as a contender.

Now, she's jumping onto the current champions. What does that prove? Meh, I guess Vegas are entering their villain mode.

I'm impressed that Vegas is entering their villain mode *after* Laimbeer, honestly.

And yeah, "family values". After the Hamby allegations. Sure, Candace.

PostPosted: 01/29/23 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
Spark4Life wrote:

It's giving very that.

lmao well played, even if Parker hasn't retired and come back nearly enough to be worthy of that crown

PostPosted: 01/29/23 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
lmao well played, even if Parker hasn't retired and come back nearly enough to be worthy of that crown

😂😁🤠

GEF34 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

She literally says “To play for a championship close to home is the perfect situation for us”. I don’t see how she can’t be any clearer she wants a championship and that’s why she picked the Aces.

It certainly should’ve been her main talking point instead of all the “family” stuff at a time when the Aces are getting cooked online precisely because of that. I wonder if the Aces recommended to her – on an overt or a subliminal level – what they wanted her to say. 🤔 Unless Lailaa’s starting high school in Vegas, it’s still a plane ride away from LA and potentially two different living arrangements going on, even while LA’s much closer from Vegas than it is from Chicago.

Speaking of LA, I guess she decided that whatever LA & them’s currently in the process of building won’t be resembling a contender, which, I won’t be the one to try to argue against. 😂😇

ucbart

PostPosted: 01/29/23 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
Spark4Life wrote:

It's giving very that.

It's giving nothing like that. Kevin Durant 1) had no rings, and 2) went to the team that had eliminated him from the playoffs, the season before. Neither of those things apply to Candace Parker.

Approved.

LOLOL!!!! Vegas just tossed a pregnant mother to the curb, she writes a SCATHING post about the whole situation, and the WNBA's most famous mom signs with those same Vegas Aces.

Media: What a scary lineup.

GEF34

PostPosted: 01/29/23 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Queenie wrote:

😂😁🤠

GEF34 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

It certainly should’ve been her main talking point instead of all the “family” stuff at a time when the Aces are getting cooked online precisely because of that. I wonder if the Aces recommended to her – on an overt or a subliminal level – what they wanted her to say. 🤔 Unless Lailaa’s starting high school in Vegas, it’s still a plane ride away from LA and potentially two different living arrangements going on, even while LA’s much closer from Vegas than it is from Chicago.

Speaking of LA, I guess she decided that whatever LA & them’s currently in the process of building won’t be resembling a contender, which, I won’t be the one to try to argue against. 😂😇

It's an hour flight, but also depending on where she lives she could drive to her home or the school in LA and back to Vegas in the same day, not say she will do that, but people in LA literally drive up to Vegas, gamble and drive back so they don't have to pay for hotels. A lot different than being in Chicago. Especially if she wants to attend all of her daughters events, that hour flight or 4 hour drive on an off day can make the differences in her being there and not being there. BTW I think they live apart now, as it sounded in her post they don't live together when she is in Chicago that's why she wants to be closer to LA. (or at least part of the season as her family moves back to LA when school starts).

Also unless the Sparks sign a Breanna Stewart type of player and trade for an A'ja Wilson type of player (which obviously is not happening) they are not going to be in the hunt for the title, they may make playoffs depending on who they sign, but at this point in time I don't see them bringing in a big time player so the chances for a title are slim to none. The Sparks are going to need to prove to the league and free agency market they have a legitimate change in culture, and yes they've brought in new people in the front office, but I don't know if those alone has changed the culture as the top people that allowed the culture become what it was are still in place.

GEF34

PostPosted: 01/29/23 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
Spark4Life wrote:

It's giving very that. I respected her move to Chicago because of hometown connection and she joined a team that just wasn't getting over the hump despite their yearly buzz as a contender.

Now, she's jumping onto the current champions. What does that prove? Meh, I guess Vegas are entering their villain mode.

I'm impressed that Vegas is entering their villain mode *after* Laimbeer, honestly.

And yeah, "family values". After the Hamby allegations. Sure, Candace.

To be fair she's not talking about family values in the Aces organization, she is talking about being there for her daughter.

She actually doesn't say anything about the Aces being a family, she is just going there to try to get a ring and be as close to her daughter as possible to spend as much time as she can when she starts school.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 01/29/23 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Per Kareem Copeland Washington Post:

Brittney Sykes to the Mystics, multi-year contract

https://twitter.com/kareemcopeland/status/1619825153331920897

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 01/29/23 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Several Instagram posts have said that Clark is going to Vegas.

PostPosted: 01/29/23 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:

Oh come the fuck on.

Gotta hand it to Vegas GM for seizing the moment but this is NBA territory. The parity of the W was always one of the things I liked about it but now it's just heading the "jump on the bandwagon" vibe that we see in the NBA. Clark is a role player, so good for her but watching elite stars ring chase is disappointing.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/29/23 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Oh come the fuck on.

Gotta hand it to Vegas GM for seizing the moment but this is NBA territory. The parity of the W was always one of the things I liked about it but now it's just heading the "jump on the bandwagon" vibe that we see in the NBA. Clark is a role player, so good for her but watching elite stars ring chase is disappointing.

That was always going to be the result of real free agency. Good players will always want to play with other good players for winning franchises.

PostPosted: 01/29/23 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
Oh come the fuck on.

That was always going to be the result of real free agency. Good players will always want to play with other good players for winning franchises.

Meh. I stopped following the NBA years ago due to this. Honestly, Durant to GS was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I don't want to watch super teams stomp all over the league. I'm being fatalistic but hopefully the league stays competitive.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 01/29/23 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
pilight wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
Oh come the fuck on.

Meh. I stopped following the NBA years ago due to this. Honestly, Durant to GS was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I don't want to watch super teams stomp all over the league. I'm being fatalistic but hopefully the league stays competitive.

I am not a math wizard but I sure would like to see how Vegas can fit their new free agents under their salary cap. That goes for New York also if they want to sign both Stewart and Sloot.🤔

PostPosted: 01/30/23 12:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
pilight wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
Oh come the fuck on.

I am not a math wizard but I sure would like to see how Vegas can fit their new free agents under their salary cap. That goes for New York also if they want to sign both Stewart and Sloot.🤔

Clark of 22 wasn't the game changer that Clark of 18 was. It is a good signing but not that big of a deal IMO it does speak to Vegas wanting vets over young players to fill out the bench. It might also mean Parker really is coming over for near vet minimum, or Clark is signing for near vet minimum and we will only see one of Zahui B or Stokes on the final roster

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 01/30/23 12:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I promised to keep her name silent, but New York fans have spent so much time chasing the Unicorn that they have forgotten that Sabally still exists.

PostPosted: 01/30/23 1:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
I promised to keep her name silent, but New York fans have spent so much time chasing the Unicorn that they have forgotten that Sabally still exists.

On Jan. 18th, New York Liberty thread page six, I posted a link to a half-hour video discussion between Howard Megdal and Jackie Powell that I found quite valuable. They agreed that even if Sabally is healthy it will be impossible to fit her into the team's roster budget for 2023. They said it's possible that one of these three international players could be on the Liberty roster for 2023: Sika Kone, Marine Fauthoux, or Raquela Cabrera.

I highly doubt that other Liberty fans have forgotten that Sabally still exists. I'm aware of no one anywhere contradicting what Megdal and Powell, both of whom follow the Liberty quite closely, have projected about Sabally for 2023. After that, who knows?

PostPosted: 01/30/23 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Oh come the fuck on.

The WNBA never had parity. With a small number of elite players, they have always had a problem with talent pooling on a small number of teams. It just did it by the No. 1 draft pick before instead of by this type of free agency.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: