RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WBB NCAAT To Use 2 Host Sites For Regional Play For 2023

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 08/06/22 2:43 pm    ::: WBB NCAAT To Use 2 Host Sites For Regional Play For 2023 Reply Reply with quote

The NCAA women's basketball tournament is going to a two-host format for its regional rounds next year with eight teams apiece playing in Seattle and Greenville, South Carolina.

Each site will host two regional semifinal games March 24 and two more on March 25. At each location, one regional championship will be March 26 and another on March 27.

In the past, the NCAA tournament had four regional sites.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/34351998/ncaa-women-basketball-tournament-use-2-regional-sites-2023

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 08/06/22 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That article also says....
Quote:
the committee announced the eventual switch to two regional sites in 2019 and named the host cities in 2020 in an attempt to maintain neutral sites for the regional rounds.

Not sure why two host sites are more neutral than four, or why any SC site is neutral. Were they planning to send SCar to Seattle?

And....
Quote:
... 2023 Women's Final Four in Dallas, which will host the second joint Division I, II and III women's basketball national championship games at the American Airlines Center over two days.

Good that the Div II and III finals are included.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/06/22 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NCAA needs to move their asses out of Indiana and not have any championships here.

Same with Colts, NFL, Pacers, Fever, the RV manufacturing facilities, GM, Cummins, Eli Lilly, the orthopedic facilities, Vera Bradley, etc.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Gamecock1

PostPosted: 08/10/22 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Quote:
the committee announced the eventual switch to two regional sites in 2019 and named the host cities in 2020 in an attempt to maintain neutral sites for the regional rounds.

Not sure why two host sites are more neutral than four, or why any SC site is neutral. Were they planning to send SCar to Seattle?

And....
Quote:
... 2023 Women's Final Four in Dallas, which will host the second joint Division I, II and III women's basketball national championship games at the American Airlines Center over two days.

That's a strange statement about South Carolina when the NCAA has awarded UCONN by keeping them in Connecticut for years....

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 08/10/22 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gamecock1 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
Quote:

And....
Quote:

That's a strange statement about South Carolina when the NCAA has awarded UCONN by keeping them in Connecticut for years....

Looking at the 25 WBB NCAA Tournaments thus far held, I've found that:

The state of Tennessee has hosted BY FAR the most Regional AND Final Four sites for the tournament - The University of Tennessee has appeared in nine (9) Regionals over the years that were held in TN, and six (6) of those were held in either Stokely or TBA. Further, TWO (2) Final Four sites were also hosted in Tennessee's home arena.

There was also another NCAAT Regional hosted in Chattanooga in 2005, but the Lady Vols did NOT participate in that Regional, going to the Philadelphia Regional that tournament.

The state of Connecticut has held six (6) NCAAT Regionals, with only one (1) being in Storrs. They hosted two Regionals in a row I think in 2015 and 2016, although those were in Hartford or somewhere else in CT. - That may be the first time during the history of the WBB NCAAT that a particular team hosted in consecutive years, and may explain in part all the vitriol CT receives about getting favorable treatment by the NCAA.

South Carolina has hosted in its state twice - in 1997 and 2020. In '97, South Carolina did not make the tournament, and North Carolina was the #1 Seed of that regional. They lost to George Washington in the Sweet Sixteen. The 2020 Tournament as we all know was cancelled due to the pandemic....

pilight

PostPosted: 08/10/22 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pretty sure there have been more than 25 WBB NCAA Tournaments. If you are counting 2020 then there have been 40.

PostPosted: 08/10/22 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Pretty sure there have been more than 25 WBB NCAA Tournaments. If you are counting 2020 then there have been 40.

You're right - and that didn't look correct to me. I saw a graph of all the programs that won NCAA titles in this wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_Women%27s_Basketball_Tournament

I mis-read the wiki numbers.....

linkster

PostPosted: 08/12/22 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Gamecock1"That's a strange statement about South Carolina when the NCAA has awarded UCONN by keeping them in Connecticut for years....[/quote]

Just a continuation of that discussion last season about the unfairness of UConn always playing home games in the regionals. Where are all the posters who insisted it was a "fairness" issue even for all those years UConn was the 1 seed and had nothing to do with screwing UConn. Yeah, right!

In the spirit of what was said last season I propose that the NCAA say that no team will be sent to a regional within 400 miles of their school or within the same state.

Problem solved. Rolling Eyes Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: