RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

B1G 22-23
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mzonefan

PostPosted: 09/08/22 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BTW - the B1G released the entire conference schedule yesterday. https://bigten.org/news/2022/9/7/general-2022-23-big-ten-womens-basketball-conference-slate-announced.aspx

undersized_post

PostPosted: 09/08/22 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like the viewing interface better here: https://bigten.org/calendar.aspx?path=wbball

It shows every school's non-conference matchups too, all in one place.

PostPosted: 09/13/22 7:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
I like the viewing interface better here: https://bigten.org/calendar.aspx?path=wbball

It shows every school's non-conference matchups too, all in one place.

Thanks! Very Happy

PostPosted: 09/14/22 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just looking at the B1G women's team to see who some of the newcomers are--both players and coaches--and came across IU's Assistant Coach Sayavongchanh. In her bio it states "She and longtime boyfriend Joe Konrad have a dog, Kobe." I found that interesting because there are female coaches who can have their boyfriends in their bios and yet many lesbian coaches don't feel safe doing so (for valid reasons) or aren't allowed to list their partners/wives in their bios. Nothing against this particular coach; I'm glad she can make her boyfriend/partner visible. Just wish it were that way across the board.

singinerd54

PostPosted: 09/14/22 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
Just looking at the B1G women's team to see who some of the newcomers are--both players and coaches--and came across IU's Assistant Coach Sayavongchanh. In her bio it states "She and longtime boyfriend Joe Konrad have a dog, Kobe." I found that interesting because there are female coaches who can have their boyfriends in their bios and yet many lesbian coaches don't feel safe doing so (for valid reasons) or aren't allowed to list their partners/wives in their bios. Nothing against this particular coach; I'm glad she can make her boyfriend/partner visible. Just wish it were that way across the board.

X_________________________

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/21/22 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So you B1G fans, which teams are favored to end up at the top of the league?

mzonefan

PostPosted: 09/21/22 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Iowa and Indiana are supposed to be tops again. Iowa gained more than they lost (Molly Davis transfer in, Sharon Goodman returns from her ACL). I think they will be lethal. Maryland’s always going to be in the mix no matter how many transfer out.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 09/21/22 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the top 6 will be the same as last year: Ohio State, Iowa, Maryland, Indiana, Michigan, and Nebraska.

With Ohio State and Iowa, anything less than a top 2 finish would be a let down after sharing the title last year. Both rosters return the main contributors. Which means the strengths will stay the same but weaknesses probably will too. The freshmen I'm keeping an eye on are Cotie McMahon for OSU and Hannah Stuelke for Iowa.

Indiana, Maryland, and Michigan all lost some major pieces but are returning/reloading with some players who could be just as strong on paper.
I think these will be the teams I'm most interested in at the beginning of the season to see how much or how little their systems have changed since last season.

Nebraska is my dark horse. They already exceeded expectations last year and are returning the main pieces with an added year of experience under their belts. I think they will make some noise again. I'm curious if the highly touted dual sport recruit Maggie Mendelsohn will actually be a contributor to the basketball team. She is already getting substantial playing time for the #2 ranked Nebraska volleyball team, and if that keeps going well, I don't know how she'll be able to mesh with the basketball team.

PostPosted: 09/21/22 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Iowa and Indiana are supposed to be tops again. Iowa gained more than they lost (Molly Davis transfer in, Sharon Goodman returns from her ACL). I think they will be lethal. Maryland’s always going to be in the mix no matter how many transfer out.

Iowa already lost Kylie Feuerbach for the season with an ACL. Sad So guard depth is already a question. Hoping for no more!

PostPosted: 09/22/22 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Iowa already lost Kylie Feuerbach for the season with an ACL. Sad So guard depth is already a question. Hoping for no more!

Molly Davis will add guard scoring, but not size. Still y'all seem to have quite a bit of size already.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 09/22/22 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Molly Davis will add guard scoring, but not size. Still y'all seem to have quite a bit of size already.

We have depth at the center position and Clark is tall for her position, but we're fairly undersized at the 2 3 and 4 positions. We'll get even smaller when Davis subs in for Clark.

Last edited by undersized_post on 09/22/22 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/22/22 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I expect Clark to the best player in the country this year, so if Iowa doesn't win the conference, I will see it as a big disappointment.

ucbart

PostPosted: 09/23/22 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
I expect Clark to the best player in the country this year, so if Iowa doesn't win the conference, I will see it as a big disappointment.

In thing you can only say in the friendly confines of Rebkell, I present to you, this post from PUmatty. I triple-dog-dare you to post that on Twitter. Let me grab my cocktail first, though.

With that being said, same. I think Clark will win some NPOY awards, and deservedly so.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 10/05/22 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/B1Gwbball/status/157769049117648

Preseason All-B1G selections. The same 10 players were chosen by both the coaches and media differing only by who was/wasn't unanimous. I'm surprised not to see Jaz Shelley here, but I struggle to choose someone whom I would remove to make room for her. That's a sign of a good list in my book.

Alphabetical by school:
Berger
Holmes
Clark (Preseason POY)
Czinano
Miller
Brown
Markowski
Mikesell
Sheldon
Marissa

https://twitter.com/B1Gwbball/status/1577692837205999618

Preseason top 5 school rankings. These differ a bit more by coaches/media.

Coaches:
Iowa
OSU
Indiana
Maryland
Michigan

Media:
Iowa
Indiana
OSU
Maryland
Nebraska

PostPosted: 10/07/22 6:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Charlie Creme has the same 5 teams as the media in his updated top 25 but with OSU and Maryland flipped.

5 Iowa
10 Indiana
17 OSU
15 Maryland
21 Nebraska

mzonefan

PostPosted: 10/14/22 8:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Naz Hillmon asked KBA about replacing Naz Hillmon at the B1G media days.
https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/2022/10/how-michigan-basketball-is-figuring-out-life-without-naz-hillmon.html

Naz is going to be a color commentator on BTN this season, and she will play in the Athletes Unlimited league.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 11/09/22 6:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Suzy Merchant signs her first new contract in 15 years at Michigan State. https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state-university/2022/11/08/michigan-state-womens-basketball-suzy-merchant-new-contract/69629797007/

mzonefan

PostPosted: 11/09/22 8:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michigan has a video series called “Michigan Made” showing on YouTube. Episodes are released on Tuesdays.

Episode 1
https://youtu.be/6cFfFMAmYb0

Episode 2
https://youtu.be/WrOkCLxyQro

Episode 3
https://youtu.be/JNpY0ZUzLw0

Episode 4
https://youtu.be/IzBnZbS8qDU

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/09/22 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Had to listen to Steph White mispronounce Jillian Hollingshead's name all yesterday evening,

PostPosted: 11/28/22 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mackenzie Holmes plans to play her 5th (Covid) year at IU. https://www.si.com/college/indiana/basketball/indiana-womens-basketball-mackenzie-holmes-plans-to-use-extra-covid-year-eligibility.

Also, this week’s ACC/B1G Challenge will be the last one. ESPN announced a new ACC/SEC one.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/28/22 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would like to see a B1G/ P12 challenge

mzonefan

PostPosted: 11/28/22 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

That would be interesting, but I can’t imagine the P12 agreeing to it right as the B1G is taking two of its schools.

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/29/22 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
myrtle wrote:

That would be interesting, but I can’t imagine the P12 agreeing to it right as the B1G is taking two of its schools.

winner gets to protect two member schools or poach two from the losing conference

(now with spelling variations)
myrtle

PostPosted: 11/29/22 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
myrtle wrote:

winner gets to protect two member schools or poach two from the losing conference

Laughing good idea!

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 12/02/22 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought I posted this the other night but can't find it now so maybe I posted it in some random spot Smile.

Anyway - just wondering what the thoughts are on the state of the Penn State program. I have an interest due to Kieger's time as a player and coach at Marquette - I don't hold anything against her - I'm rooting for her to do well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: