RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The top 5 worst foods that could SHORTEN your life

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 08/04/22 6:25 pm    ::: The top 5 worst foods that could SHORTEN your life Reply Reply with quote

DIET DANGERS The top 5 worst foods that could SHORTEN your life expectancy

Quote:
The study, published in the journal Nature Food, is based around healthy life expectancy - the length of time a person has a good quality of life and is disease free.

French fries in the plus side??

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 08/04/22 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is one of the most convoluted studies I've ever seen, merely to arrive at some conclusions that ought to be common sense...animal fats and salt aren't good for you.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s43016-021-00343-4.epdf?sharing_token=KK6gr_-3b5NDARKYIwXX_NRgN0jAjWel9jnR3ZoTv0M_JH_HZOIYshU13s2Xd2Y9TE21QHv8Bcct_cXn-TOmD1rn3UqTSHg8_XhT9-Bj8dcc7F_9PaZNaDFPPa9rgv9U-cQfo7a7ISVxY01_fCRNnhtvyFPbc4RZfNK6D_wrMYA%3D

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/04/22 7:18 pm    ::: Re: The top 5 worst foods that could SHORTEN your life Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:

That's what I'll be taking away from this. Thanks!

PostPosted: 08/04/22 7:40 pm    ::: Re: The top 5 worst foods that could SHORTEN your life Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
tfan wrote:

Works for me too!! Wink

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/04/22 8:37 pm    ::: Re: The top 5 worst foods that could SHORTEN your life Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
tfan wrote:

Do they call them French fries or chips in Australia? And are they most commonly dipped in ketchup, brown sauce or vinegar? Just epicurious.

If peanut butter and jam sandwiches are great, bread must be okay. As are tomatoes. And mozzarella cheese is one of the lowest fat cheeses. So what's wrong with pizza?

I wonder if the University of Michigan forbids hot dogs, soft drinks, cheeseburgers and pizza—and passes up the money therefrom—at its football stadium and basketball arena.
ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 08/04/22 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All of the stuff I like is in red.... Confused

oh well.... Laughing

PostPosted: 08/04/22 9:43 pm    ::: Re: The top 5 worst foods that could SHORTEN your life Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
tfan wrote:

Do they call them French fries or chips in Australia? And are they most commonly dipped in ketchup, brown sauce or vinegar? Just epicurious.

It's all a bit ambiguous down here.
"Chips" is all about context because it is the most common word for the fried type but also the most common word for what potato chips from a packet, like Lay's.
"Fries" is also common and makes it clear that it's the hot variety, though it kind of implies "French Fries" (the skinny shape, also referred to here as "Shoestring Fries") but can also mean the thicker cut. Luckily most places don't offer both thin & thick fries so it's not really an issue.
I do wish we'd start using the word "Crisps" like the English do, to make things clearer.

We're not big dippers down here.
If you get fries from a fast food place then they'll come pre-sprinkled with either salt or chicken salt. If you want to dip you'll need to ask for a packet of sauce, which is most likely to be tomato, and you'll probably pay extra for it. It's very rare to find a serve-yourself sauce pumping station here.

Go to a fish & chip shop and you'll be offered salt/chicken salt and / or vinegar with your chips.

Get your chips from a lunch bar and they will usually come in a cup (or a box if you're hungry), and there will be salt, chicken salt, vinegar, and sometimes tomato sauce, sitting somewhere off to the side so you can add it yourself.

Get chips at a pub and they're likely to come with a small bowl of tomato sauce.

Get them from a non-chain burger joint and you've got a chance of getting a decent selection of dipping sauces.

Hardly anywhere down there, sadly, will you find Dutch-style Patatje Oorlog - fries covered in diced onion and satay peanut sauce - and that's a disgrace considering how common other satay dishes are here.
We're slowly waking up to Poutine, so if you find that on a menu here it's now less likely to be a cheese-curd-free abomination than in years gone past.

PostPosted: 08/05/22 12:10 am    ::: Re: The top 5 worst foods that could SHORTEN your life Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
tfan wrote:

If peanut butter and jam sandwiches are great, bread must be okay. As are tomatoes. And mozzarella cheese is one of the lowest fat cheeses. So what's wrong with pizza?

I wonder if the University of Michigan forbids hot dogs, soft drinks, cheeseburgers and pizza—and passes up the money therefrom—at its football stadium and basketball arena.

They actually evaluated a vegetable pizza and said any health benefits from the vegetables were offset by the sodium and trans fatty acids. Pizza is extremely high in sodium, especially the frozen supermarket version.

According to this study, which needs to be taken with more than a grain of salt, breakfast sandwiches are very bad for you as well.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/05/22 7:26 am    ::: Re: The top 5 worst foods that could SHORTEN your life Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
tfan wrote:

It's all a bit ambiguous down here.
"Chips" is all about context because it is the most common word for the fried type but also the most common word for what potato chips from a packet, like Lay's.
"Fries" is also common and makes it clear that it's the hot variety, though it kind of implies "French Fries" (the skinny shape, also referred to here as "Shoestring Fries") but can also mean the thicker cut. Luckily most places don't offer both thin & thick fries so it's not really an issue.
I do wish we'd start using the word "Crisps" like the English do, to make things clearer.

We're not big dippers down here.
If you get fries from a fast food place then they'll come pre-sprinkled with either salt or chicken salt. If you want to dip you'll need to ask for a packet of sauce, which is most likely to be tomato, and you'll probably pay extra for it. It's very rare to find a serve-yourself sauce pumping station here.

Go to a fish & chip shop and you'll be offered salt/chicken salt and / or vinegar with your chips.

Get your chips from a lunch bar and they will usually come in a cup (or a box if you're hungry), and there will be salt, chicken salt, vinegar, and sometimes tomato sauce, sitting somewhere off to the side so you can add it yourself.

Get chips at a pub and they're likely to come with a small bowl of tomato sauce.

Get them from a non-chain burger joint and you've got a chance of getting a decent selection of dipping sauces.

Hardly anywhere down there, sadly, will you find Dutch-style Patatje Oorlog - fries covered in diced onion and satay peanut sauce - and that's a disgrace considering how common other satay dishes are here.
We're slowly waking up to Poutine, so if you find that on a menu here it's now less likely to be a cheese-curd-free abomination than in years gone past.

Chicken salt???

And tomato sauce? Like just tomato sauce, not ketchup?

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/05/22 8:13 am    ::: Re: The top 5 worst foods that could SHORTEN your life Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Chicken salt???

It's salt, but better.

Ex-Ref wrote:
And tomato sauce? Like just tomato sauce, not ketchup?

Nah, it's just what ketchup is most commonly called here.

PostPosted: 08/05/22 10:13 am    ::: Re: The top 5 worst foods that could SHORTEN your life Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Chicken salt???

It's salt, but better.

https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/what-is-chicken-salt-australian-article

Quote:
But something like chicken salt isn’t a stranger to controversy. The ingredient list can be dubious. First of all, some commercial brands are labeled vegan (which seems to be against the point); others contain things like yeast extracts and acidity regulators along with chicken flavoring. Whatever that means.

But the real deal (and really good) chicken salt doesn’t contain “chicken flavoring,” it contains actual roasted, braised, dried, and yes, salted, chicken.

PostPosted: 08/05/22 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tomatoes? I slice up tomatoes or eat cherry tomatoes like they're potato chips. Guess I'm living past 100.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Howee

PostPosted: 08/05/22 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Tomatoes? I slice up tomatoes or eat cherry tomatoes like they're potato chips. Guess I'm living past 100.

....and then there's all the *studies* that decry the lycopene
that's abundant in tomatoes. Who do you wanna believe?? Shocked

Poutine an "abomination"??? You bite your gravy 'n cheese
laden tongue, young man! Laughing I ate some of that one time,
in a place just like the Canadian "Corner Gas" - interesting
but NOT something you wanna eat a lot.
Luuuc, isn't Vegamite (sp?) an Aussie product, or is that British?
I know it was an Aussie that introduced me to it, and it's yummy!

Just before I read this thread, I was reading an interesting article on the topic
of what American foods foreigners wish they had more access to
in their home countries.
I'd advise them to be careful what they wish for! Razz

#NATC

PostPosted: 08/05/22 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Poutine an "abomination"??? You bite your gravy 'n cheese
laden tongue, young man! Laughing

No, no, you misunderstand. Poutine is great! When it's called Poutine on the menu but what you actually receive is just some generic version of loaded fries without a cheese curd in sight, that's an abomination.

Speaking of abominations ...
Howee wrote:
Luuuc, isn't Vegamite (sp?) an Aussie product, or is that British?
I know it was an Aussie that introduced me to it, and it's yummy!

Vegemite is Aussie though it was inspired by Marmite, which is British.
It's a disgusting substance and is still one of the simplest tests you can give a person to quickly figure out whether 95%+ of their taste buds don't work.

PostPosted: 08/05/22 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Vegemite is Aussie though it was inspired by Marmite, which is British. It's a disgusting substance and is still one of the simplest tests you can give a person to quickly figure out whether 95%+ of their taste buds don't work.

Laughing Laughing
Well, as the old adage goes, "There's no accounting for taste." Razz

Unlike most people, I've always detested jam or jelly on toast. My palate craves umami, and Vegemite is all that, with good nutrition to boot. Cool

#NATC

PostPosted: 08/05/22 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

30 meals worth of umami on one slice of toast is just too much for me to deal with.
But health-wise, yeah, it's not bad at all. (Especially for me, as it limits my portion size to one bite followed by a litre of water followed by thorough flossing & brushing of teeth and then mouthwash Razz )

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: