RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Paige Bueckers Torn ACL Out For The Season
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greg5222

PostPosted: 08/03/22 5:49 pm    ::: Paige Bueckers Torn ACL Out For The Season Reply Reply with quote

Just in,

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/08/03/paige-bueckers-torn-acl

PostPosted: 08/03/22 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is the same knee that had a shattered tibial plateau and a torn meniscus last season. I wonder if the ACL was weakened by that injury, too, or if this is just a total coincidence.
ucbart

PostPosted: 08/04/22 7:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
This is the same knee that had a shattered tibial plateau and a torn meniscus last season. I wonder if the ACL was weakened by that injury, too, or if this is just a total coincidence.

Meg Culmo stated on a zoom chat that the injury from last year wasn't affected and was still fine-and that it was just an ACL. Reading between the lines of Paige's post, I think it might've been a non-contact ACL tear and it's just terrible luck. My worry is that this kid just become snake bit with injuries, similar to Shea Ralph.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/04/22 8:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Meg Culmo stated on a zoom chat that the injury from last year wasn't affected and was still fine-and that it was just an ACL. Reading between the lines of Paige's post, I think it might've been a non-contact ACL tear and it's just terrible luck. My worry is that this kid just become snake bit with injuries, similar to Shea Ralph.

Words you don't typically see together, but sound like good news this time.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
ucbart

PostPosted: 08/04/22 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
ucbart wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Words you don't typically see together, but sound like good news this time.

Yeah-the fact that her surgery is already tomorrow seems good to me, too. While we will miss her this season, she now has 15 months to recover from this.

It sucks that this happened, but this team certainly has time to adjust to life without Paige, unlike last year-when they did it on the fly.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/04/22 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
My worry is that this kid just become snake bit with injuries, similar to Shea Ralph.

Or Doty.

I'm not predicting this and certainly hope for UConn's sake (and my selfish viewing's sake) it doesn't happen, but it's a fact that Bueckers could go into the WNBA when healed without ever playing for UConn again.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/04/22 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
ucbart wrote:
My worry is that this kid just become snake bit with injuries, similar to Shea Ralph.

Or Doty.

I'm not predicting this and certainly hope for UConn's sake (and my selfish viewing's sake) it doesn't happen, but it's a fact that Bueckers could go into the WNBA when healed without ever playing for UConn again.

Shea Ralph was the first one I thought of too. She has had a long and successful coaching career anyway.

PostPosted: 08/04/22 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Or Doty.

On the flip side of that coin is Kellie Jolly who had 2 ACL's and came back to finish her college career with 3 rings.

linkster

PostPosted: 08/04/22 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

a shattered tibial plateau

I read it was a stress fracture with no actual crack. Nice revisionism though. Wink

linkster

PostPosted: 08/04/22 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Or Doty.

On the flip side of that coin is Kellie Jolly who had 2 ACL's and came back to finish her college career with 3 rings.

Or Bird, who had one ACL like Bueckers and managed a decent career.

My fear is what another poster said, that she turns pro next spring. I watched her for 3 years in high school, looking forward to her college career and between VOVID and these injuries I may never get to see her play live.

I'd like to stick my thumb in the eye of Vopel of ESPN. She posted an article yesterday evening around 8pm. She mentioned the ACL and then went right into how the injury will help other teams rise in the pre-season rankings and how this enhances SCar's title hopes. Come on you bitch, how about at least a paragraph about how the loss to wcbb. But no, Michele, who I don't think has ever seen a UConn home game in person, treated Bueckers like a corpse to be stepped over. Is that too harsh?

BTW, that article is no longer listed and has been replaced by one that stays on the injury.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/04/22 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Or Doty.

My fear is what another poster said, that she turns pro next spring. I watched her for 3 years in high school, looking forward to her college career and between VOVID and these injuries I may never get to see her play live.

I'm shattered that I'm "another poster" even when I'm quoted.
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 08/05/22 12:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
linkster wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Or Doty.

Fractured sensibilities aside, at least he didn't call you "the former guy"........

linkster

PostPosted: 08/05/22 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
linkster wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Or Doty.

As shattered as Bueckers' knee? Then not really shattered. Wink

linkster

PostPosted: 08/05/22 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
linkster wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Or Doty.

As shattered as Bueckers' knee? Then not really shattered. Wink

linkster

PostPosted: 08/05/22 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
linkster wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Or Doty.

Your comment was referenced, not quoted. I'll try to do better.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/05/22 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Or Doty.

Kellie also rehabbed a sprained ankle in record time. That's documented in the HBO movie "Lady Vols: A Cinderella Season" which is about the season before they went 39-0. They had lost 10 games and still won the championship.

PostPosted: 08/05/22 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Or Doty.

Kellie also rehabbed a sprained ankle in record time. That's documented in the HBO movie "Lady Vols: A Cinderella Season" which is about the season before they went 39-0. They had lost 10 games and still won the championship.

How about you and Frozen stop trying to highjack this thread with your Vol reminiscences.

Like you say in Vol threads, GO AWAY.

Howee

PostPosted: 08/05/22 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
But no, Michele, who I don't think has ever seen a UConn home game in person, treated Bueckers like a corpse to be stepped over. Is that too harsh?

Yes, she HAS covered UConn very well - just cuz she doesn't drool over them doesn't mean she hasn't been to a game. And yes, it IS too harsh. Mechelle has done more for 'our' game than you EVER will.

linkster wrote:
How about you and Frozen stop trying to highjack this thread with your Vol reminiscences. Like you say in Vol threads, GO AWAY.

Oh, myyyy....SOMEone doesn't 'play nice' when their fantasy world collapses. Frozen and STB are only mentioning parallel experiences, in a supportive way, even. YOUR reactions here are what makes people despise UConn fans, here and beyond. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Howee on 08/05/22 9:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 08/05/22 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

very sorry to hear this. hopefully she heals quickly and completely.

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/06/22 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I've known quite a few people who had a leg injury, healed and within a year had another injury of different type on the same leg....including myself. My surgeon was the surgeon used by the SF 49'ers and he told me this is not uncommon. I figure he should know. You have to be really patient and try to get the musculature back to equal the other leg otherwise the body is continually trying to compensate, making injury more likely.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 08/06/22 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Or Doty.

How about you and Frozen stop trying to highjack this thread with your Vol reminiscences.

Like you say in Vol threads, GO AWAY.

Sorry, I was trying to interject a little optimism for you UConn fans who are bemoaning the possibility that Bueckers may become a Shea Ralph or may never play in UConn uniform again. I'm going to make a wild guess that Bueckers is as motivated and dedicated at rehab as Kellie was.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/06/22 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ucbart wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I've known quite a few people who had a leg injury, healed and within a year had another injury of different type on the same leg....including myself. My surgeon was the surgeon used by the SF 49'ers and he told me this is not uncommon. I figure he should know. You have to be really patient and try to get the musculature back to equal the other leg otherwise the body is continually trying to compensate, making injury more likely.

Yes, that's exactly what I had in mind.

I'm not a doctor, and neither is Meg Culmo, but I've seen these kinds of compensatory injuries happen with hips, legs, shoulders, wrists.

Sure, an ACL injury can be completely sui generis from a previous knee injury, but when you've injured part of your knee—in my case as a runner—you tend to favor slightly different gaits and foot landings, which puts unnatural stresses on other parts of the knee and body.
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 08/06/22 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
linkster wrote:
But no, Michele, who I don't think has ever seen a UConn home game in person, treated Bueckers like a corpse to be stepped over. Is that too harsh?

Yes, she HAS covered UConn very well - just cuz she doesn't drool over them doesn't mean she hasn't been to a game. And yes, it IS too harsh. Mechelle has done more for 'our' game than you EVER will.

linkster wrote:
How about you and Frozen stop trying to highjack this thread with your Vol reminiscences. Like you say in Vol threads, GO AWAY.

Oh, myyyy....SOMEone doesn't 'play nice' when their fantasy world collapses. Frozen and STB are only mentioning parallel experiences, in a supportive way, even. YOUR reactions here are what makes people despise UConn fans, here and beyond. Rolling Eyes

Thank you Howee. UConn fans are a little thin skinned about the fact that the wcbb world no longer revolves around them. They can hijack 99 threads but heaven forbid, another team is mentioned in a thread started about a UConn player. They don't see it at all. We're all just "haters." No, we just don't want (almost) EVERY conversation about wcbb becoming about UConn. You had your very long time in the sun. I know they don't want to share, but it's past time.

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 08/06/22 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just realized I posted my original response to this horrible injury in another thread but not yet in this one. Such a shame to rob us of such a great talent and obviously a huge setback for Paige and UConn.

~rAf
Gamecock1

PostPosted: 08/07/22 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Or Doty.

Bueckers is making enough NIL money that she doesn't need the WNBA. She will stay at UCONN....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: