RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn 2022-2023
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 12/06/22 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yikes. UConn is snake bit. Now the problem of not having/developing a bench comes to the forefront.

Howee

PostPosted: 12/06/22 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Major blow, but....through adversity comes ..... I dunno - headaches?

PostPosted: 12/06/22 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

will we possibly [gasp] see a bit of Ines.

ucbart

PostPosted: 12/06/22 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ThreeBall25 wrote:
Fudd out 3-6 weeks. As a UConn fan all I can do is laugh at our injury woes at this point over the past two seasons.

Hoping Dorka will be back this week at least. LLS is going to be the focus of defenses now. also hope Ducharme can regain form, but she was as awful as Griffin vs ND.

The ND game is the game where we missed Dorka the most. That was the best defense we've seen thus far and the spots on the floor where they left AG open to clank shot after shot like she is Christyn Williams, are the precise places that Dorka can hit shots. We clearly missed her defense and rebounding in the paint.

As for Caroline, yes she needs to round into form, but that kid hasn't played much basketball since last year. She was out all summer with that hip injury. These injuries are just so sad and they must be just demoralizing for the players.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/06/22 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

These injuries are such a shame. Sad. Depressing. Is injury prone too strong a term for some of this?

Fudd has been wracked by knee and foot injuries since her sophomore year in high school. She just suffered what seems to be a hyperextension injury in the same knee that suffered both an ACL and MCL tear in 2019.

Bueckers has gotten a fractured tibial plateau, torn meniscus and later a ruptured ACL, all while just running the floor.

Ducharme has had multiple injuries since high school: a torn ACL as a high school freshman, a torn shoulder labrum as a HS sophomore, and a torn hip labrum in her HS senior year and first year at UConn, for which she had surgery this past summer. Now she has some sort of persistent neck pain problem.

Juhasz broke her left wrist in a fall and then, just a few games after her return, breaks the thumb of the same hand from a hack/block of her shot.

Ice Brady dislocated her knee cap badly during a routine practice.

Aubrey Griffin has had ACL surgery and serious high ankle sprains in high school, continued high ankle problems at UConn, and then serious back surgery at UConn.

I won't bother with Edwards' broken nose, Muhl's months of foot injuries, or the injuries to recently departed players such as Olivia Nelson-Ododa, Evina Westbrook and Saylor Poffenbarger.

Injury prone. Snake bitten. I don't know the right words.
singinerd54

PostPosted: 12/07/22 12:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Now the problem of not having/developing a bench comes to the forefront.

While this has certainly been a UConn/Geno problem in the past, the current situation is more a case of extensive injuries. How many teams are sitting pretty missing four rotation players, including your top two perimeter players and your second and third best posts?

Stanford and South Carolina, the two deepest teams in the country, for example, look pretty different without Jones, Lepolo/Jump, Iriafen, and Prechtel and Cooke, Amihere, Cardoso, and take your pick (depending on how you classify Amihere), respectively.

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/07/22 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

While this has certainly been a UConn/Geno problem in the past, the current situation is more a case of extensive injuries. How many teams are sitting pretty missing four rotation players, including your top two perimeter players and your second and third best posts?

Stanford and South Carolina, the two deepest teams in the country, for example, look pretty different without Jones, Lepolo/Jump, Iriafen, and Prechtel and Cooke, Amihere, Cardoso, and take your pick (depending on how you classify Amihere), respectively.

I wasn't implying 'guilt' other than that it puzzles me why Geno almost never plays his deep bench when they're blowing out teams. While I mostly agree with what you say. I know that Stanford at least would still have a decent rotation of players who have actually had playing time.

Howee

PostPosted: 12/07/22 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I wasn't implying 'guilt' other than that it puzzles me why Geno almost never plays his deep bench when they're blowing out teams. While I mostly agree with what you say. I know that Stanford at least would still have a decent rotation of players who have actually had playing time.

YOU, Tara's Girl, point fingers at Geno for THIS?? Razz I s'pose Tara's a tiny bit better than Geno at that, and she does maintain a deeper/stronger bench than is typically found at UConn.

PostPosted: 12/07/22 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I don't think he's unique. I personally don't like that approach either, but ND fans complained about Muffet doing the same thing for years, and these days if you look at the ND board you'll see endless posts complaining that Ivey doesn't play Nat Marshall and Jenna Brown more often for longer more meaningful minutes in order to have a longer rotation either to rest the starters or be prepared in the event of an injury. I assume Ivey learned that approach from Muffet. I wonder if Jim Foster used a short bench and Muffet and Geno learned it from him. I don't know.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 12/07/22 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I don't think he's unique. I personally don't like that approach either, but ND fans complained about Muffet doing the same thing for years, and these days if you look at the ND board you'll see endless posts complaining that Ivey doesn't play Nat Marshall and Jenna Brown more often for longer more meaningful minutes in order to have a longer rotation either to rest the starters or be prepared in the event of an injury. I assume Ivey learned that approach from Muffet. I wonder if Jim Foster used a short bench and Muffet and Geno learned it from him. I don't know.

There's a LOT of data pointing to the advantages of having a 7-8 player rotation. Most National Championships are won by teams with a 7-8 player rotation (or even a 6 player rotation at times). Geno and UConn have been especially spared from having key injuries disrupt championship runs. You can look at the # of injuries, how important that player is to winning, etc and see that UConn has been spared compared to other teams in serious running for each NC UConn won.

It is rare, but not unheard of, for a team to have this many players injured at the same time. There is NO way for even Geno to have this team playing at their previous (pre injuries) level, no matter how many minutes he's given to bench players up until now. Rather, what we're seeing, and what we usually see with other teams in similar situations. is why those players now playing are usually on the bench. Occasionally a bench player will bring a break out performance when brought in as a injury replacement, but that doesn't happen very often.

This injury to Azzi is heartbreaking for Azzi, her team and all fans of the game, who love watching such a special talent performing, even against the teams we cheer for.

The fact that this high number of injuries coincides with a time when UConn is down compared to where they've lived for a couple of decades is also sad. It's always interesting to see how a great coach finishes their coaching career and passes the torch. I have no idea how close Geno is to hanging it up (we're the same age and I retired 4 yrs ago) but I'd like to see him close out his career on better terms than this.

We don't yet have a lot of "greats" in the women's game to see as models. I do know UConn fans made a lot of fun of Tennessee and Pat Summitt when the team ran into trouble late in her career, only to later find out that every aspect of her coaching had been impacted by early dementia that had not yet been diagnosed. And we have CVivian Stringer, whose last few years was very negatively impacted by Covid due to her personal circumstances.

I hope Geno gets the chance to finish his career with a healthy group of players, whether that time is soon, or many years in the future.

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 12/07/22 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry, double post.

~rAf
myrtle

PostPosted: 12/07/22 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

YOU, Tara's Girl, point fingers at Geno for THIS?? Razz I s'pose Tara's a tiny bit better than Geno at that, and she does maintain a deeper/stronger bench than is typically found at UConn.

I do complain that coach doesn't play some of my favs enough but we do have 12 players who have gotten substantial minutes this year. [10+minutes I think] The most minutes per game have only been around 26. Granted we've played some cupcakes to get there, but cupcakes give you that opportunity to get more players floor time and play with lineups. UConn has 8 players getting 10 minutes + per game and now two of those are out injured. (I was surprised even Patterson is over 10 minutes) I don't get why a) they don't have more players on their roster and b) why they don't play the ones they have, at least in garbage time? I can understand why a #35 hoopgurlz player might prefer to go someplace where they have a chance to play and maybe even star, but surely there are enough players worthy of scholarships that would like to sit on UConn's bench where it is reasonable to expect they would get a championship if not playing time...and where in fact they might be getting playing time this year. JMO.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/10/22 1:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For the first six games, 6-2 freshman Patterson was ahead—way ahead—of 6-5 sophomore DeBerry as a frontcourt sub. In fact, all DeBerry ever got was garbage time minutes.

But against Princeton, Geno put in DeBerry as the first sub and played her a lot more minutes than Patterson.

I will be very interested in seeing which player gets more time against Maryland Sunday.
singinerd54

PostPosted: 12/10/22 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I will be very interested in seeing which player gets more time against Maryland Sunday.

Given the composition of Maryland's roster (i.e., no real posts), I would guess Patterson. DeBerry could get eaten for lunch defensively.

Also, in 26 minutes against Princeton, DeBerry had ZERO rebounds, the only player on the team to not pull down a rebound. I think that lack of "aggression"/intensity is at least part of the reason she doesn't get more playing time. (I, too, think she should get more minutes overall/outside of garbage time.)

I'm actually pleasantly surprised and almost impressed that Geno played her so much against Princeton.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 12/10/22 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Often fans of other programs like to say how unimpressed they are with South Carolina as a offensive team. They generally state this every season, like some sort of mantra. Dawn Staley is rather notorious for heavy rotations of her reserves in games - it's almost cookie cutter now: they play the majority of the 2nd and 4th periods when the team has a 20+ pt. lead, often less of a lead than that - while other head coaches rely heavily on their starters for most of the game time.

Staley believes this is the best way to prepare the team overall during the season, for the post-season, so those reserves are better prepared to contribute in those crucial games. Of course there will be a drop-off in court time for the reserves come conference season, but that may not be such a case this season, as the SEC may be a bit down.

Through 8 game thus far this season, Connecticut has dealt with monstrous injuries to their roster, many of those to their projected starters. Bueckers hasn't played a single minute in a game this season. Juhasz has played only 2. One would think that this would be an alarm sounding out that Auriemma should play his reserves substantially, and give the remaining starters and key payers he expects to depend on this season more rest opportunities.

The starters for Connecticut have scored 551 of CT's total 663 points scored in their 8 games thus far. That's 83% of the total offense, with their reserves averaging just 14 ppg of support to the team effort.

Through 8 games thus far this season, South Carolina has fortunately NOT dealt with any new substantial injuries. PGs Johnson and Fletcher were dealing with past injuries as this season began, and are still having to manage those issues. But both have been able to play since the opening game.

The starters for South Carolina have scored 316 of USC's total 659 points scored in their 8 games thus far. That's 48% of the total offense, with the Gamecock reserves accounting for 52% and averaging 42.9 ppg to the team effort.

One would think things would be the other way around, considering CT's and USC's respective team health to this point.

But this may explain why one team is always so efficient offensively, while the other team experiences spans of offensive deficiency: despite all this, USC is right with CT in Scoring Offense, while CT is NOT an "elite" team defensively this season, nor in rebounding. CT is even the more turnover-prone team this season compared to USC, even though USC rotates their reserves MUCH more, which would be expected to generate moments of confusion and miscommunication during the early parts of the schedule.....

Dawn Staley knows that in order to develop her younger reserves, she needs to give them court time during the meat of games, and not just in total blow-outs or when the games are already decided. This will create moments of "ugliness" and sloppiness, but her goals are not to field a pretty BB team, its to put the team in the best position to compete when the most important games come at the end of the season......

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 12/10/22 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Often fans of other programs like to say how unimpressed they are with South Carolina as a offensive team. They generally state this every season, like some sort of mantra. Dawn Staley is rather notorious for heavy rotations of her reserves in games - it's almost cookie cutter now: they play the majority of the 2nd and 4th periods when the team has a 20+ pt. lead, often less of a lead than that - while other head coaches rely heavily on their starters for most of the game time.

Staley believes this is the best way to prepare the team overall during the season, for the post-season, so those reserves are better prepared to contribute in those crucial games. Of course there will be a drop-off in court time for the reserves come conference season, but that may not be such a case this season, as the SEC may be a bit down.

Through 8 game thus far this season, Connecticut has dealt with monstrous injuries to their roster, many of those to their projected starters. Bueckers hasn't played a single minute in a game this season. Juhasz has played only 2. One would think that this would be an alarm sounding out that Auriemma should play his reserves substantially, and give the remaining starters and key payers he expects to depend on this season more rest opportunities.

The starters for Connecticut have scored 551 of CT's total 663 points scored in their 8 games thus far. That's 83% of the total offense, with their reserves averaging just 14 ppg of support to the team effort.

Through 8 games thus far this season, South Carolina has fortunately NOT dealt with any new substantial injuries. PGs Johnson and Fletcher were dealing with past injuries as this season began, and are still having to manage those issues. But both have been able to play since the opening game.

The starters for South Carolina have scored 316 of USC's total 659 points scored in their 8 games thus far. That's 48% of the total offense, with the Gamecock reserves accounting for 52% and averaging 42.9 ppg to the team effort.

One would think things would be the other way around, considering CT's and USC's respective team health to this point.

But this may explain why one team is always so efficient offensively, while the other team experiences spans of offensive deficiency: despite all this, USC is right with CT in Scoring Offense, while CT is NOT an "elite" team defensively this season, nor in rebounding. CT is even the more turnover-prone team this season compared to USC, even though USC rotates their reserves MUCH more, which would be expected to generate moments of confusion and miscommunication during the early parts of the schedule.....

Dawn Staley knows that in order to develop her younger reserves, she needs to give them court time during the meat of games, and not just in total blow-outs or when the games are already decided. This will create moments of "ugliness" and sloppiness, but her goals are not to field a pretty BB team, its to put the team in the best position to compete when the most important games come at the end of the season......

First off, this is thread about UConn and you posted about how great South Carolina is in comparison, so you probably should have posted it in the South Carolina thread. Posting it here makes it seem as if you are trying to antagonize UConn fans. (And I'm impartial as I am NOT a Huskies' fan.)

Secondly, your argument has some pretty big holes. You state that South Carolina has a reputation as a bad offensive team, but is as efficient as UConn on offense, which is NOT true. Despite their depleted roster, UConn had a higher FG% this season (52% overall, 44% on 3PT) than South Carolina (48% overall, 28% on 3PT) and has a higher Assist/TO ratio (1.28 vs. 1.17). South Carolina DOES have much better offensive rebounding, so their Points per Possession may be higher, but that's sort of consistent with the SEC bruiser ethos, as opposed to pretty offense.

If we go back a year (2021-2022), the stats suggest UConn has a more efficient offense, even with their PG missing much of the year:

UConn: 48% FG overall, 34% 3PT, Assist/TO = 1.28
SCarol: 43% FG overall, 31% 3PT, Assist/TO = 0.96

I didn't go back any further, but you could if you wanted to.

The other problem with your analysis is that you are arguing that UConn should be MORE reliant on their bench because of the injuries but instead they are getting the vast majority of their points from their starters. You argue that this is counterintuitive, but it isn't! Some of the players you are categorizing as starters were projected bench players who were forced to play in the starting lineup. The only 'starters' are Azzi Fudd, Lou Lopez Senechal, Aaliyah Edwards, and Dorka Juhasz, (Bueckers is out for the season). They have accounted for 422 of 663 points this season. It seems that you were counting Nika Muhl and Aubrey Griffin as starters when you calculated your totals. If you are, then you must realize that those two were projected as the main bench players before injuries to projected starters Dorka and Paige. Two other bench players were projected as major contributors but they have been recovering from injuries (Ducharme) and are out for the year (Brady). The only other bench players remaining on the bench as Ines Bettancourt, Ayanna Patterson, and Amari DeBerry. How is the end of the bench performing for South Carolina?

I agree that Geno doesn't play his bench very much. Muffet was the same way and I hated it. But they were both pretty successful. But this year Geno doesn't see a lot of reliable options down the bench because of injuries and youth. I think that's the most parsimonious interpretation that I see.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 12/10/22 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:

First off, this is thread about UConn and you posted about how great South Carolina is in comparison, so you probably should have posted it in the South Carolina thread. Posting it here makes it seem as if you are trying to antagonize UConn fans. (And I'm impartial as I am NOT a Huskies' fan.)

Secondly, your argument has some pretty big holes. You state that South Carolina has a reputation as a bad offensive team, but is as efficient as UConn on offense, which is NOT true. Despite their depleted roster, UConn had a higher FG% this season (52% overall, 44% on 3PT) than South Carolina (48% overall, 28% on 3PT) and has a higher Assist/TO ratio (1.28 vs. 1.17). South Carolina DOES have much better offensive rebounding, so their Points per Possession may be higher, but that's sort of consistent with the SEC bruiser ethos, as opposed to pretty offense.

If we go back a year (2021-2022), the stats suggest UConn has a more efficient offense, even with their PG missing much of the year:

UConn: 48% FG overall, 34% 3PT, Assist/TO = 1.28
SCarol: 43% FG overall, 31% 3PT, Assist/TO = 0.96

I didn't go back any further, but you could if you wanted to.

The other problem with your analysis is that you are arguing that UConn should be MORE reliant on their bench because of the injuries but instead they are getting the vast majority of their points from their starters. You argue that this is counterintuitive, but it isn't! Some of the players you are categorizing as starters were projected bench players who were forced to play in the starting lineup. The only 'starters' are Azzi Fudd, Lou Lopez Senechal, Aaliyah Edwards, and Dorka Juhasz, (Bueckers is out for the season). They have accounted for 422 of 663 points this season. It seems that you were counting Nika Muhl and Aubrey Griffin as starters when you calculated your totals. If you are, then you must realize that those two were projected as the main bench players before injuries to projected starters Dorka and Paige. Two other bench players were projected as major contributors but they have been recovering from injuries (Ducharme) and are out for the year (Brady). The only other bench players remaining on the bench as Ines Bettancourt, Ayanna Patterson, and Amari DeBerry. How is the end of the bench performing for South Carolina?

I agree that Geno doesn't play his bench very much. Muffet was the same way and I hated it. But they were both pretty successful. But this year Geno doesn't see a lot of reliable options down the bench because of injuries and youth. I think that's the most parsimonious interpretation that I see.

Yes, this is a thread about Connecticut - however, I did NOT post about "how great South Carolina is in comparison", I posted my observations on the differences between the development and rotational philosophies between both programs. This was in response to singinerd54 who posted about how South Carolina may fare missing a number of their starters. My position is that had CT gave a heavier rotational load to ALL of their players, and not just rely on 5-6 of them accounting for 80% of the load, then they may be better able to absorb losing 2-3 of their starters. Their bench is made up entirely of 5-star prospects, after all.

Secondly, do not know why YOU use the CT thread to throw strawman arguments around, as you accuse ME of hijacking their thread. I never made ANY claims of South Carolina "is as efficient as CT on offense". I DID HOWEVER state this:

Conway Gamecock wrote:
But this may explain why one team is always so efficient offensively, while the other team experiences spans of offensive deficiency: despite all this, USC is right with CT in Scoring Offense....

The "one team" is CT and the "other team" is South Carolina - how ANYONE could read that and interpret that I just stated that South Carolina is "as efficient as" Connecticut, is beyond me. But I DID state that South Carolina is right with CT in Scoring Offense, because factually it is TRUE: CT is averaging 82.9 ppg, good for 15th nationally, while USC is averaging 82.4 ppg, good for 17th nationally. So, YOU just made that argument up out of thin air.

If you take Juhasz out of the foursome of preseason projected starters for CT - because she's only played 2 games and scored 20 pts - then that leaves the threesome of Fudd, Edwards, and Lopez Senechal scoring 402 of 663 total team points scored thus far, or 61% of the total points....from just 3 players! So lets say that all others - Griffin, Muhl, Ducharme, DeBerry, Patterson, and Bettancourt have accounted for 261 ppg, or 39%. OK, that's better.

But would they have accounted for 39% of the total had Bueckers and Juhasz been healthy and started every game? I'm not talking about projected starters, I am talking about WHO IS PHYSICALLY STARTING GAMES FOR CONNECTICUT IN REAL TIME, AND HOW MUCH GAME TIME ARE THEY ACCOUNTING FOR. Because the three starters of Fudd, Edwards, and Lopez Senechal are averaging North of 30 mpg, and Griffin and Muhl who were projected reserves but now are starters, are ALSO averaging 33.0 and 29.0 mpg each (Griffin would also be North of 30 mpg if she hadn't come off the bench those 2 games that Juhasz started). Juhasz by the way averaged 33.0 mpg for her 2 games she played.

My position is the risk-reward of Auriemma playing his bench more minutes per game is too obvious: the risk of games not being as "pretty" offensively, and winning them by 15-20 pts instead of 30-40 pt margins, versus the reward of projected starters being fresher, and perhaps reduce some of these injuries that cut down the roster each year.....

ster II

PostPosted: 12/12/22 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone know the status of Edwards and her wearing of that facemask? I'm thinking it might be hindering her spatial relation/depth perception or something.
In 2 games she's bumped into 2 teammates and one's out 3-6 wks. and the other may have a concussion. Just sayin, maybe lose the mask if you can or get a more streamlined one!
#courtsafety

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/12/22 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And on top of everything else, Geno lost his mom. May her memory be a blessing.

https://twitter.com/UConnWBB/status/1602382330487767046

(now with spelling variations)
linkster

PostPosted: 12/13/22 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ster II wrote:
Anyone know the status of Edwards and her wearing of that facemask? I'm thinking it might be hindering her spatial relation/depth perception or something.
In 2 games she's bumped into 2 teammates and one's out 3-6 wks. and the other may have a concussion. Just sayin, maybe lose the mask if you can or get a more streamlined one!
#courtsafety

Actually Edwards, setting a screen, was shoved into Fudd by a ND player. (no foul called)

Edwards was stationary when an opposing player knocked Muhl backwards into Edwards' knee. (Again, no foul called)

Hell, in the loss to Maryland Edwards got a fouled called on her for knocking over her own team mate.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/13/22 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
And on top of everything else, Geno lost his mom. May her memory be a blessing.

https://twitter.com/UConnWBB/status/1602382330487767046

My condolences to Geno on the loss of his mother. That is hard at any age. Memory eternal.

PostPosted: 12/14/22 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
ster II wrote:
#courtsafety

Actually Edwards, setting a screen, was shoved into Fudd by a ND player. (no foul called)

Edwards was stationary when an opposing player knocked Muhl backwards into Edwards' knee. (Again, no foul called)

Hell, in the loss to Maryland Edwards got a fouled called on her for knocking over her own team mate.

There was definitely a foul called. KK Bransford was called for a foul for running in to Edwards at with 2:09 left in the 1st quarter. It looked like Edwards moved just before the contact and then possibly lost her balance by hitting Lou before she fell into backwards and hit Fudd. Watch the video and check the play-by-play.

Tally24

PostPosted: 12/17/22 4:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reports are that Nika is cleared for Sunday and Dorka is very likely to play. Just having more than 7 available will be great.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/22/22 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Will be interesting to see if coaches/teams try to take advantage of this:

Quote:
It was recently revealed that Patterson is legally blind in her right eye.

https://www.wane.com/college-sports/homestead-grad-patterson-learning-on-the-fly-at-uconn/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/23/22 12:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Will be interesting to see if coaches/teams try to take advantage of this:

Quote:
It was recently revealed that Patterson is legally blind in her right eye.

https://www.wane.com/college-sports/homestead-grad-patterson-learning-on-the-fly-at-uconn/

Gadzooks, that is certainly new and shocking info to me. In the video Patterson doesn't even uses the qualifier "legally"; she just says she's blind in one eye. That has to mean she has significantly diminished depth perception and peripheral vision.

Thus far, Patterson has not shown a good shooting touch from any distance and gets blocked a lot trying for putbacks. Now, one has to wonder how much of her shooting, court vision and timing are affected by her blindness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: