Liberty
41%
 41%  [ 7 ]
Sky
58%
 58%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 17

Shades

PostPosted: 05/10/22 7:12 pm    ::: Liberty @ Sky - 5/11/22 Reply Reply with quote

Cup Records: NYL 1-0 | CHI 0-0
Chicago, IL - 8:00 PM ET
TV: CBS Sports Network, Marquee Sports Network

Video stream:
https://www.cbssports.com/live

League Pass:
https://leaguepass.wnba.com/live/213110/new-york-liberty--chicago-sky

Game page:
https://www.wnba.com/game/20220511/NYLCHI/

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/11/22 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Willoughby starting tonight, Laney no minutes restriction as per Myles Ehrlich.

PostPosted: 05/11/22 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So assuming Willoughby and Laney are both starting or at least getting ample playing time together, the Liberty would be classified for the first time in a long time as having above average size and strength. And they have people who are more than willing to use it. It’s an interesting turn of events in one season. I think it shows how potentially important Willoughby’s performance will be this season for NY. Time will tell what to expect. But if Willoughby performs, that’s impactful. NY has at times through the years been manhandled at the 3 spot. That won’t be a problem this year.

PostPosted: 05/11/22 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
So assuming Willoughby and Laney are both starting or at least getting ample playing time together, the Liberty would be classified for the first time in a long time as having above average size and strength. And they have people who are more than willing to use it. It’s an interesting turn of events in one season. I think it shows how potentially important Willoughby’s performance will be this season for NY. Time will tell what to expect. But if Willoughby performs, that’s impactful. NY has at times through the years been manhandled at the 3 spot. That won’t be a problem this year.

I completely agree about Willoughby's importance right now. Both Allen and Onyenwere can play at 3, but I believe Willoughby has the potential to be better than either of them. Obviously, having had her rookie season at a chaotic time for the Liberty, having missed all of 2021, Willoughby will probably need some time to adjust to being a WNBA starter. We'll see how it goes, but I'm excited and hopeful.

PostPosted: 05/11/22 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Allie is still out - knee.

PostPosted: 05/11/22 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agreed. I think Willoughby has the best overall skill set of the 3 players. Where I visualize Bec being of help is to match up to the Bonners and Alyssa Thomas types. Her length and defensive ability can help there. But Willoughby is a better offensive player than either Bec or Onyenwere right now IMO. I’m a big Willoughby fan too though. I love the tenacity and intangibles and edge that she brings.

What I’m hoping becomes the beauty of this team is using players with different skills accordingly. I’m envisioning Bec, Cubaj and Han as being very situationally valuable. I hope that vision is actually rooted in reality.

PostPosted: 05/11/22 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rebekah Gardner is starting. WHO?

PostPosted: 05/11/22 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54 wrote:
Rebekah Gardner is starting. WHO?

I thought it was just me Laughing

tfan

PostPosted: 05/11/22 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who needs Kaleah Copper to drive when you have Rebekah Gardner? I looked at her player page and saw UCLA and rookie and was wondering why I didn't recognize her from recent UCLA teams. Took me a while to realize she was a 31 year old rookie.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/11/22 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

O-M-G.

The Liberty got a couple of questionable calls to go their way. Chicago missed a few open shots. The Liberty should probably be losing by 20 instead of 7. There’s literally nothing to analyze. They were just plain awful.

PostPosted: 05/11/22 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So I’ll add myself to the list of people who are wondering why Han can’t play exactly. And if she is deemed as not being ready to play, then why exactly is she on the team?

Playing 3 posts four games over 7 days is not sustainable.

PostPosted: 05/11/22 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm liking what I see from Gardiner

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 05/11/22 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if Queenie is watching this first half with same kinda shades that Didi Richards is sporting on the sidelines?

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/11/22 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NY shooting 20% from 2 and 8% from 3 Shocked yikes.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/11/22 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WOW! Nothing terrible about my team (the Liberty) giving up 36 points on the road to Chicago in the first half. But scoring only 17??? New York is 7-35 from the field and 1-12 on threes. Some excellent defense by Chicago, to be sure, but the Liberty have missed so many open shots (including layups).

PostPosted: 05/11/22 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
I wonder if Queenie is watching this first half with same kinda shades that Didi Richards is sporting on the sidelines?

I am watching it at home with what I devoutly hope is a head cold, accompanied by a raging headache, a sore throat and gradually rising blood pressure. The last of these is not related to the first two, although screaming WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT BETNIJAH is not helping with the sore throat. I am not wearing shades like Didi, although both of us are watching this game with bare midriffs (but nobody wants to see mine).

PostPosted: 05/11/22 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:

I am watching it at home with what I devoutly hope is a head cold, accompanied by a raging headache, a sore throat and gradually rising blood pressure. The last of these is not related to the first two, although screaming WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT BETNIJAH is not helping with the sore throat. I am not wearing shades like Didi, although both of us are watching this game with bare midriffs (but nobody wants to see mine).

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Feel better soon!

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 05/11/22 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The real Liberty team is still stuck in the elevator at the Marriott.

52-26 CHI with 2:26 to go in the 3rd.

Shocked Shocked

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/11/22 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gotta love Emma. So understated and just gets the job done.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/11/22 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Han Xu got 3 1/2 minutes and has the only plus on the team Very Happy

Queenie

PostPosted: 05/11/22 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chugging from multiple bottles isn't even helping

PostPosted: 05/11/22 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Han Xu got 3 1/2 minutes and has the only plus on the team Very Happy

Han ended up with 10 points in nine minutes. The other eight Liberty players together: 40 points in 191 minutes.

PostPosted: 05/11/22 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The game seemed to be one of those situations in which, since the Liberty's Plan A wasn't working, they should have gone to Plan B quickly, Han did a good job once she got in there - why didn't Sandy put her in earlier?

Dana Evans (or as an enthusiastic fan near me called her "Shorty" Laughing) is my girl! We were kinda sloppy in general - Sloot and Parker had off nights, so it was good that others stepped up.

It was nice that the Sky recognized Steph and Olaf for their presence on the championship team.

We were joking when Steph got her first foul - "Some things never change!" Laughing and thought the Sky should exploit that.

Man, NY had a really bad night...

PostPosted: 05/12/22 4:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had a long day yesterday and was more than grateful to be asleep 5 minutes into the third quarter. At the open practice for season ticket holders, Han was probably the top scorer against the male practice players. It left me and others with little doubt that Han can score in the W. On a night where you couldn’t find offense anywhere, and on a night where Howard was utterly awful, I’m not understanding why you couldn’t get Han in there sooner. Yes there’d be nobody to guard Parker, but Parker ate up Howard last night anyway.

On another note, Chicago’s defense is terrific, but my gosh. Laney, Sabrina and Howard all played really poorly. There were no answers for the defensive pressure. The downside to a structured offense is that if it breaks down sometimes you struggle to find answers. Teams are going to hedge hard against Sabrina. When they do, post players will probably have open 3s. It would be helpful if those shots were closer to going through the net than the backboard.

And NY fans would all have hoped that the core 3 would play like it nightly. And if maybe 1 is off the other 2 have to pick her up.

On another note, Sandy said AD was ruled out with an illness in the first half.

Last edited by NYL_WNBA_FAN on 05/12/22 4:24 am; edited 3 times in total
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/12/22 4:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:

I hope it’s nothing more than a cold and that you feel better soon.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: