RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Late Training Camp Arrivals 2022
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
awhom111

PostPosted: 04/14/22 11:47 pm    ::: Late Training Camp Arrivals 2022 Reply Reply with quote

Guess we better do this thread now. The situation in Italy will get clearer in the next couple days so I will wait. I think that I have all the countries that are still playing that have contracted players covered, but please let me know if I am missing something.

The other thing is that some of the Russian clubs may have just let their foreign players go home without actually releasing them from their contracts so it is possible that some paperwork has not been completed with hasty departures being the goal on both sides so there could be an unforeseen delay on a player or two if somebody forgot to file something. Luuuc has unfortunately found out about cases like this.

The finals in Japan will either end on Sunday or Monday then Rui Machida is free to leave.

Victoria Vivians is up 2-1 on Crystal Dangerfield in the finals in Israel and they play again on Monday with the 25th being the day of the last game if the series is evened.

Brionna Jones and Alyssa Thomas will almost assuredly be done on Tuesday in the Czech Republic, but a historic upset or two would mean the series ending on the 21st or 23rd.

Jordin Canada and Beatrice Mompremier will finish the bronze medal series in Hungary if they win on Saturday or they will not be done until Wednesday. Stefanie Dolson, Bernadett Hatar, Briann January, and Gabby Williams will be done on the 23rd, 26th, or 30th.

Sparkle Taylor's team will finish their season on the 22nd or 26th, but it is unclear if she is still in Romania since I do not think that being 3rd or 4th has any material impact on them. The timeline of her signing would be interesting to know.

Haley Gorecki and Theresa Plaisance are done at the scheduled conclusion of the regular season in Spain on Sunday. Maya Caldwell already left Gran Canaria early, which seems sort of questionable, but such things have happened before in this league. Michaela Onyenwere pulling a similar maneuver has been noted in the Liberty thread. Players that are still scheduled to compete in the playoffs are Lauren Cox, Rebecca Allen, Kennedy Burke, Rebekah Gardner, Kahleah Copper, and Katie Lou Samuelson.

Jaime Nared and Shey Peddy are done at the conclusion of the regular season in Turkey on Tuesday. A preliminary look at the tiebreakers seems to suggest that Jazmine Jones should also be done then with Erica McCall's team needing a win and help. Players whose teams are definitely in the playoffs are Kristine Anigwe, DeWanna Bonner, Alaina Coates, Kaela Davis, Kathleen Doyle, Bria Hartley, Tiffany Hayes, Tina Krajisnik, Kayla McBride, Teaira McCowan, Danielle Robinson, Satou Sabally, Kiah Stokes, Jasmine Thomas, Yvonne Turner, Elizabeth Williams, and Amanda Zahui B.

No team will be done in France until May 10th at the earliest. Nia Coffey and Julie Allemand are the players affected and I will go over the schedule of the playoffs again once they are set. Destiny Slocum has already been the casualty of being on a team set for the playdowns, which will not concluded until May 24th.
Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/15/22 12:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As always: Thank you, thank you, thank you, awhom. 🙏

@ WNBA Players: In addition to Russia, plz stop playing in France moving forward as well, kthx. 🙂

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 04/15/22 8:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks awhom, great job.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/15/22 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Always a super-useful thread awhom111, thanks.

Just as an FYI for everybody, the WNBA 'season' officially starts on Sunday, when most teams are opening training camp. If a player is 14 days late, or they tell the team they'll arrive inside 21 days and are then 21 days late, the team can then suspend them for the year (without the player having to agree to it). Obviously it doesn't usually happen like this, because we're typically talking about players that teams don't want to lose for the year, but that's when it becomes an option. That threshold was part of the Gabby Williams mess last year.

PostPosted: 04/15/22 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Italy's semifinals matchups are set with Diamond DeShields going against Ruthy Hebard and Yvonne Anderson and Kayla Thornton going against Brianna Turner. Myisha Hines-Allen is also still listed there, but she has not played in a long time so it is unclear if she is healthy enough to play anywhere right now.

Jessica Shepard is done if she wins on Saturday. She clearly wants to go to training camp having poured in 44 points and adding 16 rebounds in the first game.

For practice or fun, I am probably going to come up with lists of players who would be subject to the WNBA Prioritization clause if future year rules were instead taking effect this year.
awhom111

PostPosted: 04/16/22 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jordin Canada, Beatrice Mompremier, and Jessica Shepard are done.

With reports of Emma Cannon signing, she is in Israel on the same team as Crystal Dangerfield.

We have dates for the Italian semifinals now so two of the teams will be done on either the 21st or the 24th.
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/16/22 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thanks for all the info.

awhom111

PostPosted: 04/17/22 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Japan is done although I suspect that Rui Machida's flight was scheduled in a way that it did not matter which day the season ended.

For anyone else who was surprised that Nia Coffey was not marked as late for training camp, the reason was supplied a little while ago. She was one of the players who contracted COVID a few weeks ago on her team. She did play in their game last week, but then headed to Atlanta for medical testing related to her recovery and Charleville is not expecting her back for the rest of the season. If you think the story sounds unusual, some French league fans are definitely not amused. Now if Ijeoma Ajemba decided to get vaccinated recently, I suppose they still hold her registration and she could return, but they are otherwise out of luck on a replacement.

Also in recent news, the French League will reduce their postseason slightly in the next two seasons in deference to the national team. In a move that would probably be one of the greatest sporting controversies in European history if it happened on the men's side, the federation also announced that it would compile a secret list of national team caliber players next summer and then when the deadline to provide FIBA with team priority for the continental competitions, would then award the France 1 spot in EuroLeague to whichever team had the most players from their list under contract.
awhom111

PostPosted: 04/17/22 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As promised, here is a list of players that I believe would be subject to training camp fines if the 2023 WNBA Prioritization rules were taking effect this year. There are some players who appear to be signed by a team with season overlap, but have not played yet for the team, but I am making a judgment call. I also did not included WNBA players who are known to be injured and unlikely to play for their overseas team again. I suppose that by rule, they will need to have the contracts terminated in order to not be subject to any penalties once the rules take effect. I also did not include any players who finished play on Saturday even though practically speaking, it would be difficult for many of them to report on time.

Farhiya Abdi
Kayla Alexander
Rebecca Allen
Kristine Anigwe
Vicki Baugh
Kelsey Bone
DeWanna Bonner
Cierra Burdick
Kennedy Burke
Emma Cannon
Alaina Coates
Kahleah Copper
Anna Cruz
Kaela Davis
Erika De Souza
Diamond DeShields
Stefanie Dolson
Temi Fagbenle
Kim Gaucher
Cayla George
Kelsey Griffin
Sandrine Gruda
Marie Gulich
Bria Hartley
Tiffany Hayes
Allison Hightower
Quanitra Hollingsworth
Bria Holmes
Sequoia Holmes
Lauren Jackson
Briann January
Brionna Jones
Lynetta Kizer
Kristen Mann
Kayla McBride
Erica McCall
Teaira McCowan
Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis
Astou Ndour-Fall
Shey Peddy
Haley Peters
Erin Phillips
Theresa Plaisance
Alexis Prince
Danielle Robinson
Karlie Samuelson
Katie Lou Samuelson
Kiah Stokes
Asia Taylor
Alyssa Thomas
Jasmine Thomas
Kayla Thornton
Brianna Turner
Yvonne Turner
Victoria Vivians
Tan White
Elizabeth Williams
Gabby Williams
Amanda Zahui B
Shavonte Zellous
Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/17/22 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are a lot of players on there who'd actually have to sign a contract before the league could fine them. The WNBA isn't going to be sending Farhiya Abdi a bill any time soon.

PostPosted: 04/17/22 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rebecca Allen
Kristine Anigwe
DeWanna Bonner
Kennedy Burke
Emma Cannon
Alaina Coates
Kahleah Copper
Kaela Davis
Diamond DeShields
Stefanie Dolson

Bria Hartley
Tiffany Hayes

Briann January
Brionna Jones

Kayla McBride
Erica McCall
Teaira McCowan
Astou Ndour-Fall (taking year off)
Shey Peddy
Theresa Plaisance
Danielle Robinson
Katie Lou Samuelson
Kiah Stokes

Alyssa Thomas
Jasmine Thomas
Kayla Thornton
Brianna Turner

Yvonne Turner
Victoria Vivians
Elizabeth Williams
Gabby Williams
Amanda Zahui B

Realistic chance to play in 2023
On the bubble to play in 2023 (IMO)
Recently cut otherwise not playing in 2023

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 04/18/22 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
awhom111

PostPosted: 04/18/22 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Israel is going the maximum games so it is another week for those players.

Venezia and Ragusa won the opening games in Italy with series either ending Thursday or extending to Sunday.
Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/19/22 6:12 pm    ::: Re: Late Training Camp Arrivals 2022 Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
No team will be done in France until May 10th at the earliest. Nia Coffey and Julie Allemand are the players affected and I will go over the schedule of the playoffs again once they are set. Destiny Slocum has already been the casualty of being on a team set for the playdowns, which will not concluded until May 24th.

Looked like Coffey joined the Dream's Training Camp – judging by the 0:08-0:10 marks of this Camp snippet posted on their twitter. If that's indeed her, do you know if she's planning on staying put in the States? Or is she expected to rejoin Charleville when the French League playoffs start?

awhom111

PostPosted: 04/20/22 12:02 am    ::: Re: Late Training Camp Arrivals 2022 Reply Reply with quote

The Czech league is done as expected.

Turkey's quarterfinals conclude on the 25th or 26th at the earliest. Hartley, McBride, Sabally, Stokes, Williams, and Zahui B are not facing any other affected players. Davis and Krajisnik are facing Coates. Doyle is facing Anigwe, Bonner, Hayes, Thomas, and Turner. For what it's worth, none of those players dressed today. McCowan and Robinson are also not facing any affected players.

Spain's schedule is set. The first two rounds are two-game series which end on the 28th and 5th. The finals will end on the 12th or 15th. Cox plays Burke and Gardner, but there are only affected players on one side of the other series.

Stormeo wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

Looked like Coffey joined the Dream's Training Camp – judging by the 0:08-0:10 marks of this Camp snippet posted on their twitter. If that's indeed her, do you know if she's planning on staying put in the States? Or is she expected to rejoin Charleville when the French League playoffs start?

Charleville is operating under the expectation that she will not return to them.
Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/20/22 12:21 am    ::: Re: Late Training Camp Arrivals 2022 Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Charleville is operating under the expectation that she will not return to them.

Thank you for the confirmation!! Good news for the Dream. Apologies for one more question, but is an 'early release' usually written into these players' overseas contracts? Or did Coffey pull an Onyenwere here, in which that's becoming the more common thing to do...

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/20/22 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jasmine Thomas reportedly at practice today in Connecticut, so definitely looks like Cukurova have let some of their imports go home before the playoffs.

PostPosted: 04/20/22 10:17 pm    ::: Re: Late Training Camp Arrivals 2022 Reply Reply with quote

Hungary can still end in a sweep.

Stormeo wrote:
awhom111 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Thank you for the confirmation!! Good news for the Dream. Apologies for one more question, but is an 'early release' usually written into these players' overseas contracts? Or did Coffey pull an Onyenwere here, in which that's becoming the more common thing to do...

I doubt that there is an early release on a contract that was signed early. It might be different for players that sign midseason. I have not seen any official update from Charleville that she has been released, but they have reached the league transaction limit so they cannot replace her. Their last communication indicated that she is officially in Atlanta for COVID-related medical testing. They may be doing a favor for her in exchange for keeping a strong relationship with her agency. Besides fans, I would imagine that the federation would frown on any kind of deal here and any precedent that it could set. We are talking about a body that once publicly floated the idea of demanding that any player who went through the national academy, but chose NCAA play over an immediate pro career reimburse the expenses related to their instruction.
Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/21/22 2:09 am    ::: Re: Late Training Camp Arrivals 2022 Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Apologies for one more question, but is an 'early release' usually written into these players' overseas contracts? Or did Coffey pull an Onyenwere here, in which that's becoming the more common thing to do...

I doubt that there is an early release on a contract that was signed early. It might be different for players that sign midseason. I have not seen any official update from Charleville that she has been released, but they have reached the league transaction limit so they cannot replace her. Their last communication indicated that she is officially in Atlanta for COVID-related medical testing. They may be doing a favor for her in exchange for keeping a strong relationship with her agency. Besides fans, I would imagine that the federation would frown on any kind of deal here and any precedent that it could set. We are talking about a body that once publicly floated the idea of demanding that any player who went through the national academy, but chose NCAA play over an immediate pro career reimburse the expenses related to their instruction.

Shocked Fascinating stuff – more than I bargained for. Thanks so much for sharing it.

awhom111

PostPosted: 04/21/22 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Both series in Italy will not be decided until Sunday.
awhom111

PostPosted: 04/23/22 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even without Hatar, Sopron swept the finals in Hungary so those players are done.

The expected teams won the opening games in Turkey.
awhom111

PostPosted: 04/24/22 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The semifinal results are the worst possible ones for the Mercury, but Anderson, Thornton, Hebard, and Kuier are done.

The finals have not had a released schedule yet, but are best of five.
awhom111

PostPosted: 04/26/22 12:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Galatasaray was eliminated so Kaela Davis and Tina Krajisnik are done.
awhom111

PostPosted: 04/26/22 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Italian League finals end on the 3rd, 5th, or 8th.

I think Turkey can have earlier series starts if the preceding round is finished. That will not be the case for the semifinals as Orman lost so McCowan and Robinson play again on Friday.
Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/27/22 1:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder how likely it is that Bria Hartley leaves Fenerbahce early in order to report to the Fever on time. I mean, I can definitely see Indiana full-season suspending her or forcing her into agreeing to a buyout by that magic May 8 date so that they can keep/bring back another one of their young players (interesting that rosters have to be finalized a few days before that 21-days-after-the-start-of-Camp date; no idea if that season schedule dynamic has always been like that, since it never really mattered much before). Hartley didn't even play in the Quarterfinals according to the boxscore, but she's still in Turkey. And Fener is certainly going to be in the Finals at this point, if the most recognizable player on the team that they're about to play in the Semis is Alaina Coates. 😬

Still, I'm rooting for Orman and DRob to win on Friday so that they move onto the Turkish Semis as well. Indiana might just try to full-season suspend or buyout her as well, particularly if Hartley shows up in the nick of time. I hope they do so with one of those players tbh.

I don't see any other bigger-name WNBA players still firmly overseas in danger of being full-season suspended (or bought out) late in the game. This might be the last year of little to no activity on that front, however. 👀

awhom111

PostPosted: 04/28/22 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The results from Spain were the expected ones so Lauren Cox is done. The next round ends on the 5th.

The earliest that the semifinals in Turkey can end is the 6th for Fenerbahce-Nesibe and the 6th for Cukurova-winner Orman/Botas. Sweeps seem pretty likely.

Stormeo wrote:
I wonder how likely it is that Bria Hartley leaves Fenerbahce early in order to report to the Fever on time. I mean, I can definitely see Indiana full-season suspending her or forcing her into agreeing to a buyout by that magic May 8 date so that they can keep/bring back another one of their young players (interesting that rosters have to be finalized a few days before that 21-days-after-the-start-of-Camp date; no idea if that season schedule dynamic has always been like that, since it never really mattered much before). Hartley didn't even play in the Quarterfinals according to the boxscore, but she's still in Turkey. And Fener is certainly going to be in the Finals at this point, if the most recognizable player on the team that they're about to play in the Semis is Alaina Coates. 😬

Still, I'm rooting for Orman and DRob to win on Friday so that they move onto the Turkish Semis as well. Indiana might just try to full-season suspend or buyout her as well, particularly if Hartley shows up in the nick of time. I hope they do so with one of those players tbh.

I don't see any other bigger-name WNBA players still firmly overseas in danger of being full-season suspended (or bought out) late in the game. This might be the last year of little to no activity on that front, however. 👀

I guess this is the last time we can get a Gabby Williams Rule suspension. Given that Lin Dunn probably has no plans for a job after this, I guess that she could do it with no fear of angering any agents. Given that Fenerbahce wants to win at least one trophy this season, they are definitely going to want to keep Hartley and Zahui B around just in case even if they prefer Iagupova/McBride/Sabally/Williams as their foreigners. Since these teams rarely announce anything, figuring out who Cukurova still has for sure can get confusing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: