PostPosted: 04/13/22 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Milks26 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
pilight wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Considering Bueckers is supposedly making bank with her NIL deals, I personally don’t see her entering the Draft early

What does entering the draft have to do with NIL deals? NIL deals, as well as financial deals for all sorts of other sponsorships, commercials and corporate affiliations having nothing to do with NIL, have always been available for pro athletes.

She has more visibility as a UConn Huskie than she'll likely ever have as a Dallas Wing, which will tend to raise the value of those deals

Umm i dont want her as a Dallas wing so not sure where that came from.....

I was going to ignore it but I'll join you. Of all 12 teams out there the Wings was the one picked on. So.....I guess she figures we'll be in the lottery next yr. Boston!!!

Not a she

The Wings are fun to pick on because their fans take it so well. Like the Mystics were before EDD came to town.

Shocked I thought you were a female. Ok...now I know

A large chunk of the posters here at Rebkell are men. I'm a man too just in case you didn't know that.😃

PostPosted: 04/13/22 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For the record, if anyone cares, I'm not a man...I'm a tree! Laughing

Milks26

PostPosted: 04/13/22 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Milks26 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Milks26 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
pilight wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Considering Bueckers is supposedly making bank with her NIL deals, I personally don’t see her entering the Draft early

What does entering the draft have to do with NIL deals? NIL deals, as well as financial deals for all sorts of other sponsorships, commercials and corporate affiliations having nothing to do with NIL, have always been available for pro athletes.

She has more visibility as a UConn Huskie than she'll likely ever have as a Dallas Wing, which will tend to raise the value of those deals

I was going to ignore it but I'll join you. Of all 12 teams out there the Wings was the one picked on. So.....I guess she figures we'll be in the lottery next yr. Boston!!!

Not a she

The Wings are fun to pick on because their fans take it so well. Like the Mystics were before EDD came to town.

A large chunk of the posters here at Rebkell are men. I'm a man too just in case you didn't know that.😃

Your name says it all. Wink

PostPosted: 04/13/22 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
Milks26 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Milks26 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
pilight wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Not a she

Your name says it all. Wink

PostPosted: 04/13/22 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
pilight wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

+1. Pilight said it best. Wcbb players used to turn pro in order to start making money (well, legally and consistently, anyway). Nowadays, a few of the top players in the country like Bueckers might actually make more money by staying in school and not turning pro.

Horse feathers. Neither pilight nor anyone else has any idea of the monetary value of any WCBB player's NIL income, or any WNBA player's totality of NIL plus all other commercial income.

What we do know is that NCAA players are limited to NIL licensing, which has all sorts of varying restrictions under the various and different state laws that apply, whereas free folks like sports pros have the entire unrestricted capitalistic economy to tap for extra dough.

It's just common sense that there are many more money-making opportunities for pro athletes than NCAA athletes and, because of that, an elite college athlete should make at least as much extra bread in her first year of WNBA play as in her last year of college play. In addition, by leaving instead of staying in school, the NCAA star can get an additional overseas basketball season to make more potential big bucks that are not available in college.

Of course, if a well-compensated NCAA athlete gets injured in college, tanks in the pros, or otherwise fails to stimulate product demand, then that athlete's loaves of extra bread will shrink, perhaps quickly.
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/13/22 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA players have made specific mention of going pro to support their families financially, so with NIL deals easing that pressure I don't even see how it is arguable that they affect some players' decisions about entering the draft.

PostPosted: 04/13/22 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is a Player’s Tribune article by Maya from 7 years ago. Things have improved somewhat since then. But Maya basically said she felt that she turned invisible going from UConn to the pros.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/articles/maya-moore-wnba-visibility

Quote:
At a program like UConn’s, you grow accustomed to media attention. It wasn’t unusual to see my team talked about on SportsCenter and any number of networks throughout my years as a Husky. This is incredible, I thought. All kinds of sports fans — young, old, men, women, you name it — were exposed to elite women’s basketball regularly.

Visibility.

After four years and two national championships, I went No. 1 in the 2011 WNBA Draft. That’s when I felt the drop.

There’s this unnatural break in exposure for the highest level of women’s basketball in the world. Wait, what happened here? That’s a question we as WNBA players ask ourselves. We go from amazing AAU experiences to high school All-American games to the excitement and significant platform of the collegiate level to … this. All of that visibility to … this. Less coverage. Empty seats. Fewer eyeballs. In college, your coaches tell you to stay focused on your team and the game — not the media attention. But you know you’re on national television. You know people are following you. You can feel the excitement. And then as a professional, all of that momentum, all of that passion, all of that support — the ball of momentum is deflating before my eyes.

Gone.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
DFWub2018

PostPosted: 06/19/22 6:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
2023 draft will be insane. Best to come out in years. Cool

Who do you want to see in a Wings uniform in '23?

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 06/19/22 6:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

😎👀

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 06/19/22 6:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Milks26 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
pilight wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Not a she

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuggghhh boy🤦

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 06/19/22 6:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Milks26 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Milks26 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
pilight wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Not a she

I would hope so with a name like "Rock Hard" 🤣🤣🤣

Milks26

PostPosted: 06/19/22 6:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
Milks26 wrote:
2023 draft will be insane. Best to come out in years. Cool

A good PG.

And a replacement for KT. One that brings defense and rebounds

Boston - yeah, I know it won't happen Razz

PostPosted: 06/28/22 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:

A good PG.

How many high picks are you going to throw at the PG position?
Didn’t like Jefferson. Apparently don’t like Harris and Burton either. Just keep going?

Mabrey is up for a new contract and I see no reason for her to stick around Dallas if Bibb’s disrespect matches the level of the fans. I think Reeve would love Mabrey as a starting PG.

I’d be willing to trade Shepard’s contract for a sign and trade of Mabrey. This is a fair because Shepard has been pretty good this year. Let’s get this done.

Milks26 wrote:
And a replacement for KT. One that brings defense and rebounds

KT is probably the hardest worker on the team. Usually you don’t want to replace a player like that because they lead by example, but I offered up Shepard above as a possibility.

Milks26 wrote:
Boston - yeah, I know it won't happen Razz

Hey, if you don’t want to be in the playoffs, that’s fine by me. Push those Lynx out of the lottery.

(Edit: It would appear that DAL no longer owns their own first round pick in 2023. They gave that up in the McCowan trade. But they did end up with CHI’s first round pick in 2023 by trading a couple of first round picks from last year.)

Last edited by Shades on 06/28/22 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 06/28/22 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The most important information for 2023 WNBA draft thread.

Will NIL deals keep Paige Bueckers at UConn for a fifth season?
https://theathletic.com/3387014/2022/06/28/paige-bueckers-uconn-nil-wnba/

Quote:
She trademarked “Paige Buckets” and signed with power agent Lindsay Kagawa Colas and the Wasserman sports marketing company.

Quote:
“I’m just trying to make sure that with every deal that I sign, our values align and we have the same goals in mind,” Bueckers said.

Quote:
“I know for sure I want to get my degrees though,” Bueckers said. “Staying four years is definitely what I want to do. But yeah, I’m not really sure about the fifth year yet, but I’m sure that’ll be a conversation when the time comes around.”

Quote:
Before they even began working together, Gatorade proposed ideas to Bueckers. Now, she’ll have a bottle of her own.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/25/22 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2021 Standings
MIN 22-10
PHX 19-13
DAL 14-18
NYL 12-20
LAS 12-20
ATL 8-24
IND 6-26

End of 7/25/2022
LAS 12-15
DAL 12-15
ATL 12-16
——————
PHX 12-16
NYL 10-17
MIN 10-19
IND 5-25

2021 & 2022 Combined
DAL 26-33 (Owned by IND)
LAS 24-35 (Owned by ATL. WAS has option to swap)
ATL 20-40
——————
MIN 32-29
PHX 31-29 (Owned by CHI)
NYL 22-37
IND 11-51 (Locked in for best odds at #1 pick)

Remaining schedule
DAL: WAS, @ATL, @CHI, LVA, IND, NYL, NYL, @PHX, @LAS
LAS: @PHX, MIN, @NYL, @NYL, @ATL, @WAS, CON, CON, DAL
ATL: MIN, DAL, IND, LAS, @MIN, @LVA, NYL, @NYL
MIN: @ATL, @LAS, @SEA, ATL, @PHX, SEA, @CON
PHX: LAS, @NYL, @CON, @CON, NYL, MIN, DAL, CHI
NYL: @CHI, PHX, LAS, LAS, @PHX, @DAL, @DAL, @ATL, ATL
IND: LVA, LVA, @ATL, @DAL, WAS, WAS

Top 5 team

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/25/22 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thx Shades. I've been wondering about some of this and too lazy/busy to look it up.

ucbart

PostPosted: 07/26/22 8:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you're Indiana-do you take Boston or trade that pick for maybe pick #3 and some player, particularly a PG? To me, the ESPN(and Twitter) has made her into some transcendent, other-worldy, generational talent-but I just think she falls a bit short of that. I ask because I'm not sold on Boston being a super-elite WNBA talent. She's a great college player, but I think there are major areas to work on. I think she is a touch slow and she lacks the athleticism of the truly elite 4/5's in the W. Like, I can't imagine her guarding Stewie, JJ, Nneka, Wilson, Parker, Messeman, Natasha Howard, AT, Griner, Sabally, etc.

She excels in WCBB, especially in a conference that is very defensive minded and lacks offensive cohesion and execution. She is great, great as an offensive rebounder, with put backs, and bullying her way into the paint for baskets, but I just can't see that part of her game translating.

Again, this is not me bashing her-she's a great player, but...

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/26/22 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have been wrong before, but I pretty much agree with everything you say, UCBart. The hype seems a bit extreme. I think she's better than Charli Collier, and will actually get playing time, but she's closer to EWilliams than SFowles. OTOH B.Jones has certainly surprised us with her development.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/26/22 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I have been wrong before, but I pretty much agree with everything you say, UCBart.

I don’t think you really want to die on that hill. Ask him about his evaluation of Rhyne Howard. For some reason, he felt a need to refer to her as a “brat”, even though there’s few that are as shy and reserved as she.

myrtle wrote:
The hype seems a bit extreme. I think she's better than Charli Collier, and will actually get playing time

If she goes to Indiana, she’ll be a Day-1 starter. That’s pretty obvious because Queen Egbo was a Day-1 starter. I think she’d be a Day-1 starter for any team that didn’t already have a prominent starting center.

myrtle wrote:
but she's closer to EWilliams than SFowles.

Neither of them are as versatile as Boston. I see her closer to A’ja Wilson if she can strengthen her body a bit. Boston started shooting the three a lot sooner than Wilson.

myrtle wrote:
OTOH B.Jones has certainly surprised us with her development.

Surprised because she’s not a #1 pick so not much expectation there. So is Jones your closest comparison to Boston, not EWill?

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 07/26/22 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just love Naysayers and Debbie Downers. I hope EVERY lottery team thinks that Boston is just a scrub so she can fall right into the arms of the Sky. LOVELY!🥰

PostPosted: 07/26/22 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

myrtle wrote:
but she's closer to EWilliams than SFowles.

Neither of them are as versatile as Boston. I see her closer to A’ja Wilson if she can strengthen her body a bit. Boston started shooting the three a lot sooner than Wilson.

Her game is nothing like Wilson. Yeah she shoots the three, but she's not nearly as athletic, long, or mobile. Will she go #1. Yeah, inevitably. And you're right she will probably start for Indy or NY. That doesn't make her a generational talent. How will she develop? Yet to be seen. A'ja has developed her shot, and increased her moves so she's not so predictable as she was coming out of college. Boston can clearly improve in a number of ways but I don't think she can transform into a mobile 4.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 07/27/22 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm going to let this pass...

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/27/22 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:

smart. Otherwise in 2 or 3 years, Shades will quote us in this thread to show his superiority...if he's right. Otherwise it will disappear into the annals of rebkells never to surface again. Laughing

Coyotes

PostPosted: 07/27/22 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
RavenDog wrote:

smart. Otherwise in 2 or 3 years, Shades will quote us in this thread to show his superiority...if he's right. Otherwise it will disappear into the annals of rebkells never to surface again. Laughing

Here, I'll post a script for shades.

BOOYAH. GOTCHA AGAIN. I WAS RIGHT THIS ONE TIME.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 07/28/22 12:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
RavenDog wrote:

If Minnesota gets Boston next year Shades will not wait three years to boast about Boston. Every game she scores double digit points and gets double digit rebounds. He will scream from the mountain tops. BOOYAH!😜

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 2 of 26

Jump to: