RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2023 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 11/14/22 8:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I see Haley Jones as a Swin Cash type. Pre-knee injury Cash, that is.

and i have viewed Phee as Swin Cash type player - more refined offensively.
Lynx need a post more than a PG in my opinion, i have to envision a trade given their win of pick #2

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/14/22 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If a player like Gabby Williams who specializes in jumping can make it in the league there's room for Haley Jones.

PostPosted: 11/14/22 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tara VanDerveer is one of the best wbb coaches in the world, but she just can't produce good guards at the WNBA level; I wouldn't pick Haley Jones in the Lottery if I were a GM

but that Stanford pedigree and that former Top-5 high school recruit status can carry people far up the Draft ladder

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/15/22 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope we are proved wrong, but I agree with the sentiments that while she is a really nice college player, it's hard to see her as an impactful wnba player. It's definitely not as a PG. Actually I think Gabby may be a good comparison.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/15/22 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I hope we are proved wrong, but I agree with the sentiments that while she is a really nice college player, it's hard to see her as an impactful wnba player. It's definitely not as a PG. Actually I think Gabby may be a good comparison.

Gabby has uber jumping skills , but that's about it. The defensive prowess that she's dubbed as is overrated and has not been up to par to her college days having to guard PF's/C's . Oppose to her WNBA career having to defend guards and not being the same defender. Yet she's still a starter for a top tier team so if she can improve just enough to survive i definitely like Haley jones's chances. She has a lot of untapped potential when it comes to her offensive game and even at this point in her career i have more faith in her offense than Gabby Williams a now veteran in the league. Jones will be a player at the next level by year 5 . The transition period is what i think most people worry about with her. Will she get better will she work hard to improve ? Yes , she's a stanford graduate. See Chiney , Nneka, Pohlen , Powell , Carrington *Baylor 2nd* , Lexie Hull , Jenn Rizzotti , Sonja Henning, Vanessa Nygard Laughing Laughing Kate Starbird , Olympia Scott - Richardson , Candice Wiggins Rolling Eyes , Jamila Wideman . Ok my rant's over LOL

PostPosted: 11/15/22 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Gabby Williams is much more than just her jumping skills as a perimeter defender, but that’s just me

I do agree that Haley Jones is gonna have to be one of those defense-oriented SFs to find a pathway to a long career, sort of like a higher-ceiling Tamera Young with a later-developing jumpshot

NYSports56

PostPosted: 11/15/22 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm watching women's college basketball for almost first time ever! I would say that I've already watched more this year than I have watched in the rest of my entire life combined.

Thanks to Stormeo for compiling that list of draft prospects. I've been tuning into the games that they play in because of that list.

ucbart

PostPosted: 11/16/22 7:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Tara VanDerveer is one of the best wbb coaches in the world, but she just can't produce good guards at the WNBA level; I wouldn't pick Haley Jones in the Lottery if I were a GM

but that Stanford pedigree and that former Top-5 high school recruit status can carry people far up the Draft ladder

I’m skeptical on Jones, too. She has no offense out of 8 feet and her superior skill set for a “big guard” will be moot because she’s not athletic.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 11/18/22 1:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
I'm watching women's college basketball for almost first time ever! I would say that I've already watched more this year than I have watched in the rest of my entire life combined.

Thanks to Stormeo for compiling that list of draft prospects. I've been tuning into the games that they play in because of that list.

Very Happy Glad it helped you! Never even intended it to be helpful, per se.

Here's my original preseason Top 36 in case anyone else wants to refer to it and/or show this to me to win an argument later on when it doesn't age well. Embarassed

Otherwise, well, here's kinda the rest of my list, which draws from others mentioned (even if I think there's zero chance of a pro career for them – that means you, Fran Belibi). Sorta takes this year's early season into account? Half-assedly, I'd say.

Again, asterisks * mean the player is out of eligibility after this season and will have to either turn pro or turn to a more conventional career – or turn tricks on OnlyFans, idk that's none of my business!

Code:
Players Outside My Original Preseason-ish Top-36 (but still maybe worth keeping an eye on)

Brittany Davis*          5-9 CG           Alabama
Jade Loville*            5-11 G/F         Arizona
Esmery Martinez          6-2 F/C          Arizona
Shaina Pellington*       5-8 CG           Arizona
Cate Reese*              6-2 F/C          Arizona
Erynn Barnum             6-2 F/C          Arkansas         
Maori Davenport          6-5 C            Arkansas–Pine Bluff
Jaden Owens              5-8 CG           Baylor
Aja Blount*              5-11 F           Coastal Carolina
Quay Miller              6-3 F/C          Colorado         
Grace Berg               6-0 F            Drake
Elizabeth Balogun*       6-1 F/G          Duke
Kennedy Brown            6-6 C/F          Duke
Celeste Taylor           5-11 F/G         Duke
Leilani Correa           6-0 G/F          Florida
KK Deans                 5-8 PG           Florida
Tishara Morehouse*       5-3 PG           Florida Gulf Coast
Jazmine Massengill*      6-0 PG           Florida State
Diamond Battles*         5-8 PG           Georgia
Cameron Swartz*          5-11 SG          Georgia Tech
Stephanie Soares*        6-6 C/F          Iowa State
Kiki Jefferson           6-1 F/G          James Madison
Taiyanna Jackson         6-6 C            Kansas
Robyn Benton             5-9 CG           Kentucky
Chrislyn Carr*           5-5 CG           Louisville
Liz Dixon*               6-5 C/F          Louisville
Morgan Jones*            6-2 F/G          Louisville
Alexis Morris*           5-6 CG           LSU
LaDazhia Williams*       6-4 F/C          LSU
Brinae Alexander         6-0 G/F          Maryland
Elisa Pinzan*            5-8 PG           Maryland
Haley Cavinder           5-6 CG           Miami (FL)
Emily Kiser*             6-3 F/C          Michigan
Jessika Carter           6-5 C/F          Mississippi State
Eva Hodgson*             5-10 CG          North Carolina
Lauren Ebo*              6-4 C/F          Notre Dame
Rebeka Mikulášiková      6-4 F/C          Ohio State
Naomie Alnatas           5-7 PG           Oklahoma State
Myah Taylor*             5-8 PG           Ole Miss
Endyia Rogers            5-7 CG           Oregon
Caitlyn Harper*          6-2 F            Purdue
Lasha Petree*            6-0 F/G          Purdue
Sidney Cooks*            6-4 F/C          Seton Hall
Lauren Park-Lane         5-3 PG           Seton Hall
Brea Beal                6-1 F/G          South Carolina
Myah Selland*            6-1 F            South Dakota State
Dulcy Fankam Mendjiadeu* 6-4 F            South Florida
Sammie Puisis            6-1 G/F          South Florida
Elena Tsineke            5-7 SG           South Florida
Kadaja Bailey*           6-0 G/F          St. John’s
Fran Belibi              6-1 F/C          Stanford
Ashten Prechtel          6-5 F/C          Stanford
Shaylee Gonzales         5-10 CG          Texas
Taylor Jones             6-4 F/C          Texas
Sonya Morris*            5-10 G/F         Texas
Gina Conti*              5-11 PG          UCLA
Charisma Osborne         5-9 SG           UCLA
Kadi Sissoko             6-2 F            USC
Aubrey Griffin           6-1 F            UConn
Lou Lopez Sénéchal*      6-1 F/G          UConn
Starr Jacobs             6-2 F            UT Arlington
Alissa Pili              6-2 F            Utah
Ciaja Harbison*          5-6 PG           Vanderbilt
Sam Brunelle             6-2 F            Virginia
Cayla King               6-0 G/F          Virginia Tech
Taylor Soule*            5-11 F           Virginia Tech
Haley Van Dyke*          6-1 F/G          Washington

PRballer

PostPosted: 11/18/22 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting feedback on Haley Jones. I thought she’s easily the #2 pick in this draft class - so based on what others are saying, who do you take if you’re Cheryl Reeve at #2? Kitley? She seems like less of a sure thing than Jones.

Cheryl wants to upgrade her backcourt and Jones seems like the best option to start that process through the draft

Richyyy

PostPosted: 11/18/22 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The consensus definitely seems to be leaning towards Jones as the #2, which was why I asked for other opinions. It's just easier to see the path for players when their game is similar to others we've seen succeed. Jones has a somewhat unusual skillset, which makes the vision more cloudy. I think she'll probably still turn out pretty well, but it'd be a lot easier to see if she was shooting 35% from three on decent volume, for example.

I can't claim to have seen much of Kitley beyond highlight reels, but she seems like exactly the type that teams usually aren't convinced about. Is she a big step up from Elissa Cunane, for example? Or Hannah Sjerven, even? If she can stay healthy and hit a decent amount from outside, someone like Diamond Miller sliding up towards #2 seems far more likely to me. GMs fall in love with athletes and physical tools, and think they can teach the rest.

PostPosted: 11/18/22 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:

One of us! One of us!

The next step is to get out to a game! Depending on where you are, you might be in Big East or Big Ten country, which puts you in position to see some prospects live and in person. If you’re closer to one of New Jersey’s many fine mid-major programs... okay, you’re *probably* not going to see many prospects, but you’ll have a good time and they’ll appreciate you showing up.

PostPosted: 11/18/22 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
If she can stay healthy and hit a decent amount from outside, someone like Diamond Miller sliding up towards #2 seems far more likely to me. GMs fall in love with athletes and physical tools, and think they can teach the rest.

I'd take Miller over Joens in a heartbeat. She's already much more than an athlete with physical tools, as you put it.

PostPosted: 11/19/22 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
If she can stay healthy and hit a decent amount from outside, someone like Diamond Miller sliding up towards #2 seems far more likely to me. GMs fall in love with athletes and physical tools, and think they can teach the rest.

I'd take Miller over Joens in a heartbeat. She's already much more than an athlete with physical tools, as you put it.

Same. And I've said this a lot and people think I'm crazy, but I think Horston will be a great pro. She is a very, tall, athletic guard, who can pass and score. Yes, she turns the ball over a lot, but she won't be handling it as much as she does in college.

I could be wrong on Jones, by a lot-but she does a lot of things well....in the college game. But, being a guard with limited athleticism and absolutely zero shooting is going to be tough.

I mean, Katie Lou Samuelson was a 3x AA who is a big guard with limited athleticism who is a great shooter and she gets absolutely wrecked on this board. How do we think Jones is worthy of a #2 pick?

Stormeo

PostPosted: 11/19/22 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Although I’m not sure anyone had Samuelson going in the Lottery back at the time. More of a mid-to-late 1st-rounder, precisely because her only clear/consensus strengths were her length & shooting (which can still get you picked high, obviously). It’s admittedly a bit of a reach to say this, but maybe she’s why the past few UConn draftees – Dangerfield in 2020, and the most recent three here in 2022 – have all been denied from the first round, even as each of them at least at one point were talked about as maybe going in the first round. Again, maybe a reach, but who knows.

(Reminder: Dorka Juhász and [speaking of "LouConn"] Lou Lopez Sénéchal will for sure be available for this Draft, barring an unforeseen injury leading to a redshirt. Fwiw, Juhász is from Hungary and LLS is from France…)

Anywho, back to Haley Jones: She’s shorter and not as good a shooter as Samuelson, which ain’t great. But, if Jones is viewed as a good defender with a higher defensive ceiling than Samuelson, and GMs think she has value as a distributor/playmaker (even if they don’t view her as a PG, which I would agree with), then she’s not gonna fall out of the Top 6 for sure, and that really should be the goal for any Draft prospect who isn’t a consensus #1 these days. I think a high drafting means she’ll be given some years to work on her weaknesses like shooting.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 11/19/22 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

I didn't mean to reduce her to just that, I just meant that her skills and style of play present a more obvious transition to the pro game as long as you think she's good enough.

And I'd definitely take her over Joens, but think there's potentially more of an argument with Jones Wink. Spelling is going to be important with this class.

PostPosted: 11/19/22 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

El Perimetro did a one-round mock:
https://elperimetro.es/wnba-mock-draft-2023-nuestras-primeras-impresiones/

Always interesting seeing foreign opinion on the WNBA and NBA drafts since they tend to have less conscious or unconscious college bias.
undersized_post

PostPosted: 11/20/22 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

I didn't mean to reduce her to just that, I just meant that her skills and style of play present a more obvious transition to the pro game as long as you think she's good enough.

And I'd definitely take her over Joens, but think there's potentially more of an argument with Jones Wink. Spelling is going to be important with this class.

Oh god I spelled the wrong Jones Laughing Laughing Laughing My excuse is that I'm from Iowa so I'm constantly watching the other Joens. To clarify, I'd take Miller over Jones *and* Joens.

PostPosted: 11/20/22 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I ain't gonna lie, I'm starting to warm up on Ashley Joens again. That girl is on fire 🔥 but still team Miller

awhom111

PostPosted: 11/21/22 12:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Besides the more known players like Prince, DeShields, and Laksa, I remember that ESPN put Danielle Ballard somewhere in the top 50 of their draft board when she left LSU and surfaced in Finland. I hope that there is some late round hype for Aquira DeCosta in this draft. After her 24 point, 30 rebound effort in her last game, she currently leads both statistical categories in Sweden, which would at least be a slightly higher level than Finland. I figure someone will probably try to get her into camp at least, but it would be cool if she was a story before that.
tfan

PostPosted: 11/21/22 4:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How did a 6'1" wing with "limited athleticism" and no outside shooting become the highest ranked Hoopgurlz player in high school, Naismith National High School Player of the Year, and a starter on a USA Basketball U17 team?

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 11/26/22 6:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lou lopez senechal, although only 4 games with UConn, looks like she'll belong in the W.
definitely has shown to be multi-level scorer - opposed to just stand and shoot.

awhom111

PostPosted: 11/26/22 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
lou lopez senechal, although only 4 games with UConn, looks like she'll belong in the W.
definitely has shown to be multi-level scorer - opposed to just stand and shoot.

Was going to post about her today. Assuming all of the reporting on her is correct, she entered Fairfield in the same year that she turned 20 (May 12, 1998 birthday) so she should be in the same basket as Elena Tsineke and can be considered an undrafted free agent. Of course Tsineke still has a COVID year, but otherwise they should theoretically be able to sign contracts as soon as their seasons end if they want.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 11/26/22 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:

Was going to post about her today. Assuming all of the reporting on her is correct, she entered Fairfield in the same year that she turned 20 (May 12, 1998 birthday) so she should be in the same basket as Elena Tsineke and can be considered an undrafted free agent. Of course Tsineke still has a COVID year, but otherwise they should theoretically be able to sign contracts as soon as their seasons end if they want.

We're still yet to see them rule on someone's free agent/draft status in this way, though (at least with anyone that anyone cared about). I'll believe it once we see it.

PostPosted: 11/27/22 8:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After watching Lou Lopez-Senechal for 4 games and an exhibition game, at this point in time, she looks like a first round draft choice. She does everything well, runs the floor, rebounds, defends, is unselfish, has a good body, is a 6'1" g/f, can shoot and score.

I imagine at least 95% or more of women's basketball fans never heard of her before...to be honest, I didn't either. But I sure do like her! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 9 of 26

Jump to: