RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2022 WNBA Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 04/12/22 7:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I see grade inflation. Everybody passes! Not quite as bad as ESPN, where 2/3 of the league got a B or better.

PostPosted: 04/12/22 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ameshya Williams-Holliday is the first HBCU player drafted since 2002 (when there were three selected)

PostPosted: 04/12/22 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can Holly Rowe just stick to one of the other sports she covers?

I like her but last night she seemed to be pushing too hard for emotional reactions from the draftees. Those reactions are better when they're natural and not forced.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/12/22 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I see grade inflation. Everybody passes! Not quite as bad as ESPN, where 2/3 of the league got a B or better.

Does that mean you have grades that you'd like to share with the class? Surprised

scullyfu

PostPosted: 04/12/22 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

was there anybody who jumped to the league early or was everyone a senior? i didn't follow the ncaaw too much this season, so really not up on all the players. thanks.

PostPosted: 04/12/22 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The college WBB and WNBA need more/other tv sponsors to carry events, programs etc. Espn crew are the worst....atrocious

Last edited by Milks26 on 04/12/22 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
ucbart

PostPosted: 04/12/22 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Can Holly Rowe just stick to one of the other sports she covers?

I like her but last night she seemed to be pushing too hard for emotional reactions from the draftees. Those reactions are better when they're natural and not forced.

I used to like her, now I think she is terrible. I'm sure this is the producer that makes her do this, but ask them about basketball and move on.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/12/22 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is likely that Ali Patberg was the last player ever selected in the draft who was born before the W started play

PostPosted: 04/12/22 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
It is likely that Ali Patberg was the last player ever selected in the draft who was born before the W started play

Her birthday on the IU website is Sept. 11 (which, πŸ˜“, first of all), but I couldn’t find a year. She was in college for seven years/seasons, starting in the fall of 2015. Presumably that year, she turned 19 – not 18 – which would put her birth year at 1996. If she turned 18 that year instead though, then it’d be 1997.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/12/22 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
pilight wrote:

Her birthday on the IU website is Sept. 11 (which, πŸ˜“, first of all), but I couldn’t find a year. She was in college for seven years/seasons, starting in the fall of 2015. Presumably that year, she turned 19 – not 18 – which would put her birth year at 1996. If she turned 18 that year instead though, then it’d be 1997.

I'm guessing it's the latter, that she was born in '96. I'm judging that based on the fact that this article (https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2021/10/08/iu-womens-basketball-ali-patberg-back-and-aiming-final-four/5985545001/) says she was 25 in October 2021.

Last edited by undersized_post on 04/12/22 5:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/12/22 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s gonna be a super depressing day – or at least a day with a lot of mixed feelings – when the last W player born before April 24, 1996 (the day the NBA board of governors approved the W to start play the following year) finally calls it quits & retires.

Last edited by Stormeo on 04/12/22 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/12/22 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dammit you quoted me before i edited my post. i did the counting wrong initially Laughing

PostPosted: 04/12/22 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
dammit you quoted me before i edited my post. i did the counting wrong initially Laughing

All good! I edited mine too as a result, shhh no one will know a thing Razz Twisted Evil

pilight

PostPosted: 04/12/22 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Fever roster says 1996

https://fever.wnba.com/roster/

FIBA says 1996

https://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19women/2015/player/Ali-Paige-Patberg

PostPosted: 04/12/22 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ok, i'm editing my edit ----- i think she *was* born in '96. If she turned 25 in 2021, that means 1996. Laughing Laughing Laughing why, yes, in case you're wondering, i *do* have a math degree...

yes, confirmed by pilight above

PostPosted: 04/12/22 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
pilight wrote:

Does that mean you have grades that you'd like to share with the class? Surprised

Yeah! C'mon Pilight tell us what you really think!

pilight

PostPosted: 04/12/22 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
why, yes, in case you're wondering, i *do* have a math degree...

I've found that many people who understand advanced mathematics have trouble with arithmetic. I know a woman who has a PhD in Chemical Engineering and works for NASA. She recommended Edward Frenkel's book "Love & Math: The Heart of Hidden Reality" to me (it went way over my head). She's not good at arithmetic. If she needs to add/subtract/multiply/divide anything more than one digit, she uses a calculator.

PostPosted: 04/12/22 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So here are my thoughts on a couple of things Laughing
Atlanta:
1. Rhyne Howard, F/G, Kentucky
15. Naz Hillmon, F, Michigan

Perhaps I'm too 'high' on Cubaj, but I thought she would make more sense for the Atlanta roster than Hillmon, who is kind of just a shorter version of Billings.

Connecticut:
12. Nia Clouden, CG, Michigan State
24. Jordan Lewis, PG, Baylor
36. Kiara Smith, PG, Florida

I admit I haven't seen much of Clouden, but SG isn't what this team needs. They would have been better off to go post with that first pick.

Dallas:
7. Veronica Burton, PG, Northwestern
30. Jasmine Dickey, G/F, Delaware
31. Jazz Bond, F, North Florida

I like Burton but not sure she really fits on this team. Not sure it was the best they could do but basically I don't have a problem with that pick.

Indiana:
2. NaLyssa Smith, F, Baylor
4. Emily Engstler, F, Louisville
6. Lexie Hull, G/F, Stanford
10. Queen Egbo, C/F, Baylor
20. Destanni Henderson, PG, South Carolina
25. Ameshya Williams-Holliday, C, Jackson State
34. Ali Patberg, PG, Indiana

I would give them at least a B and probably a B+. Egbo is a wasted pick but I guess it will at least help Smith settle in to training camp with someone familiar. Cubaj at 10 would have made this a real deal. Henderson at 20 is a steal. And I guess I like the fit of both Engstler and Hull better than you (Stormeo).

Las Vegas:
8. Mya Hollingshed, F, Colorado
11. Kierstan Bell, F/G, FGCU
13. Khayla Pointer, PG, LSU
23. Aisha Sheppard, SG, Virginia Tech
35. Faustine Aifuwa, C, LSU

I'd give this one a D. I don't see anybody here actually helping the team. Maybe Bell as a backup at SF.

Los Angeles:
9. Rae Burrell, F/G, Tennessee
16. Kianna Smith, G/F, Louisville
19. Olivia Nelson-Ododa, F/C, UConn
27. Amy Atwell, F/G, Hawaii

I liked Burrell a lot before she got injured. These aren't real exciting picks, but seem ok and have possibilities.

Minnesota:
22. Kayla Jones, F, NC State
28. Hannah Sjerven, F/C, South Dakota

Hard to know. Hope Sjerven has a chance here. She showed so well against those players that went way higher in this draft.

New York:
5. Nyara Sabally, F/C, Oregon
18. Lorela Cubaj, F/C, Georgia Tech (received from Seattle in exchange for NY's 2023 2RP)
29. Sika Kone, F, Mali

I love what they did. Even if Sabally isn't healthy this year, hopefully they can take the time with her to keep her healthy. And Cubai is nice as a backup too.

Seattle:
17. Elissa Cunane, C, NC State
21. Evina Westbrook, CG, UConn
33. Jade Melbourne, PG, Australia

Not sure about this. Evina may make the team but I thought Henderson would be a more obvious pick here. She is a better version of Canada who can actually shoot and is a better defender. Evina is bigger so maybe more versatile but not a pure PG...which should be a concern for the future.

Phoenix:
26. Maya Dodson, F/C, Notre Dame
32. Macee Williams, F/C, IUPUI

Hard to get too excited here, but any success is success with these low of picks.

Washington:
3. Shakira Austin, C, Ole Miss
14. Christyn Williams, G/F, UConn

Seems ok to me.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/12/22 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You want grades? Fine. I grade on a curve so two As. two Bs, four Cs, two Ds, and two Fs. Won't grade Chicago since they had no picks, so this year we'll only have three Cs.

ATLANTA A

Got the best player in the draft and someone who could make the roster in Hillmon. Can't really ask for more than that.

CONNECTICUT D

Clouden might make the roster as a cost saving measure. The others are camp fodder.

DALLAS B

I totally get the Burton pick. Anybody who's seen Jefferson the last few years should have no trouble understanding why the Wings are looking for a replacement. Doubt the other two make an impact.

INDIANA B

They had way too many picks but got a nice, balanced group. Besides, I've learned my lesson about doubting Lin Dunn's eye for talent.

LAS VEGAS C

Got lucky that Bell fell to them. I'm not super high on Hollingshed but she fits the roster.

LOS ANGELES D

I really and truly didn't get the Burrell hype before the injury. Afterwards a first round pick for her seems preposterous. Nelson-Ododa is the best of their picks.

MINNESOTA F

We'll never see these people again.

NEW YORK C

Sabally apparently needs surgery, as she did all through her college career. She'll never be a reliable starter, which makes #5 too high a pick for her. I bet $1 that Kone never sets foot in the US, much like the last Malinese player drafted.

SEATTLE C

Cunane looks like one of those players who sticks around a long time. Good value for a second rounder. Westbrook is much maligned, but UConn players always stick. Melbourne is probably the best of the deferral picks.

PHOENIX F

Not a chance either one makes the roster. Once the Merc get relief from Griner's cap hit they'll have plenty of money for bench veterans instead of relying on players who, let's face it, were available in the third round for a reason.

WASHINGTON A

I'm not as high on Austin as some but T-Bone is exactly the right guy to use her properly. As for Williams, like I said above UConn players always stick.

PostPosted: 04/12/22 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
You want grades? Fine. I grade on a curve so two As. two Bs, four Cs, two Ds, and two Fs.

If that's your curve I'm never taking a class from you. Laughing

PostPosted: 04/12/22 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
pilight wrote:
You want grades? Fine. I grade on a curve so two As. two Bs, four Cs, two Ds, and two Fs.

I'm sure most people would prefer ESPN or Stormeo where you always pass the average student gets a B. That's how we get so many illiterate high school grads.

PostPosted: 04/13/22 12:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
pilight wrote:

I'm sure most people would prefer ESPN or _~*Stormeo*~_ where you always pass/the average student gets a B. That's how we get so many illiterate high school grads.

😡

Damn that was a read. Embarassed Laughing And you're not wrong – I just never thought I'd get hypothetically accused of being an easy A-type of teacher, seeing as I'm obsessed with things like grammar and making sure others spell players' names right. Razz

Fwiw: I think if important people whose opinions a team's GM would really value were to give that GM a C- or a D-grade for their Draft performance, that GM better not be satisfied/relieved that they weren't given an F. Laughing

Anywho, thank you for letting us bully you into sharing your grades with the class! Don't really love how you set it all up though, or your reasonings for each team. Ergo, I'd give you an F, but because I'm apparently not that kind of teacher who apparently doesn't care enough to help #StopTheSpread when it comes to the disease of Illiteracy, you shall receive a D- and still pass this class. βœ… Congratz.

blaase22

PostPosted: 04/13/22 12:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very well deserved f for Reeve . She couldn’t take a flyer on Kone?? Rolling Eyes

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/13/22 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll guess who makes a roster (in bold):

1. Atlanta – Rhyne Howard, F/G, Kentucky
2. Indiana – NaLyssa Smith, F, Baylor
3. Washington – Shakira Austin, C, Ole Miss
4. Indiana – Emily Engstler, F, Louisville
5. New York – Nyara Sabally, F/C, Oregon
6. Indiana – Lexie Hull, G/F, Stanford
7. Dallas – Veronica Burton, PG, Northwestern
8. Las Vegas – Mya Hollingshed, F, Colorado
9. Los Angeles – Rae Burrell, F/G, Tennessee

10. Indiana – Queen Egbo, C/F, Baylor
11. Las Vegas – Kierstan Bell, F/G, FGCU
12. Connecticut – Nia Clouden, CG, Michigan State

13. Las Vegas – Khayla Pointer, PG, LSU
14. Washington – Christyn Williams, G/F, UConn
15. Atlanta – Naz Hillmon, F, Michigan
16. Los Angeles – Kianna Smith, G/F, Louisville
17. Seattle – Elissa Cunane, C, NC State
18. New York (from Seattle) – Lorela Cubaj, F/C, Georgia Tech
19. Los Angeles – Olivia Nelson-Ododa, F/C, UConn
20. Indiana – Destanni Henderson, PG, South Carolina
21. Seattle – Evina Westbrook, CG, UConn
22. Minnesota – Kayla Jones, F, NC State
23. Las Vegas – Aisha Sheppard, SG, Virginia Tech
24. Connecticut – Jordan Lewis, PG, Baylor

And no one in the 3rd round – though Kone (#29), Melbourne (#33), and Kiki Smith (#36) are all deferral picks who likely won't sign and thus won't get cut.

Seems to me that the ROY will be a simple two-horse race between the top two picks, as they're the ones who'll get the most playing time. Austin will see decent minutes if EDD is injured and/or plays most of her minutes at the 3. Whoever else from Indiana emerges as a main rotation player would also be in the running, though my guess is none will be that predominant.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 04/13/22 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
I'll guess who makes a roster (in bold):

1. Atlanta – Rhyne Howard, F/G, Kentucky
2. Indiana – NaLyssa Smith, F, Baylor
3. Washington – Shakira Austin, C, Ole Miss
4. Indiana – Emily Engstler, F, Louisville
5. New York – Nyara Sabally, F/C, Oregon
6. Indiana – Lexie Hull, G/F, Stanford
7. Dallas – Veronica Burton, PG, Northwestern
8. Las Vegas – Mya Hollingshed, F, Colorado
9. Los Angeles – Rae Burrell, F/G, Tennessee

10. Indiana – Queen Egbo, C/F, Baylor
11. Las Vegas – Kierstan Bell, F/G, FGCU
12. Connecticut – Nia Clouden, CG, Michigan State

13. Las Vegas – Khayla Pointer, PG, LSU
14. Washington – Christyn Williams, G/F, UConn
15. Atlanta – Naz Hillmon, F, Michigan
16. Los Angeles – Kianna Smith, G/F, Louisville
17. Seattle – Elissa Cunane, C, NC State
18. New York (from Seattle) – Lorela Cubaj, F/C, Georgia Tech
19. Los Angeles – Olivia Nelson-Ododa, F/C, UConn
20. Indiana – Destanni Henderson, PG, South Carolina
21. Seattle – Evina Westbrook, CG, UConn
22. Minnesota – Kayla Jones, F, NC State
23. Las Vegas – Aisha Sheppard, SG, Virginia Tech
24. Connecticut – Jordan Lewis, PG, Baylor

And no one in the 3rd round – though Kone (#29), Melbourne (#33), and Kiki Smith (#36) are all deferral picks who likely won't sign and thus won't get cut.

Seems to me that the ROY will be a simple two-horse race between the top two picks, as they're the ones who'll get the most playing time. Austin will see decent minutes if EDD is injured and/or plays most of her minutes at the 3. Whoever else from Indiana emerges as a main rotation player would also be in the running, though my guess is none will be that predominant.

Sharika Austin might get more minutes at the beginning of the WNBA then originally planned.

Per Kareem Copeland Washington Post:

There is an understanding that the team may have to start the season without Elizabeth Williams (Turkey) and Myisha Hines-Allen (Italy) as they finish their seasons overseas.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: