Wheeler/McDonald
Hayes/Walker
Howard/Coffey
Billings/Hillmon
Ch. Parker/Vaughn

still need more but its a decent start

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/11/22 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Minny clearly tanked the draft because they already can't figure out had to bring back Carelton or Banham

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/11/22 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

legit question can Burton beat out Dungee?

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/11/22 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So how many true rookies (non-Rennia Davis’s) make at least an opening-day roster? Maybe 15? Could be closer to 10…

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/11/22 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Indy WTF?

D-Rob/Hartley/L. Allen/Henderson
K. Mitchell/J. Jones/Hull
T. Mitchell/Vivians/Engstler
N. Smith/Perry
Hatar/Egbo/Cannon?

probably could have used another one of those first round picks on a post

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/11/22 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just got back from the Liberty draft event. Space was not suited to the number of people present. Then again, I brought some of it on myself by immediately hieing myself to the secondary screen in the corner, away from the bar.

Las Vegas, what are you doing. Bell falling into their laps saved that draft for them, because otherwise it was a reach with Hollingshed, then Fargas doing her kids a favor.

Indiana, I have questions. You may have answers, I don't know.

Why is everyone so hard on the Sparks? I thought they got what they needed.

If Nyara's knees hold up, and if Sika shows up every so often, we won the draft, in my highly biased opinion. We got good value with every pick. We are also expanding our international reach; all we need is a Brazilian or something to cover South America, and I think we're actually trying to have a different country potentially represented by every player on the roster/whose rights are held by the team.

Can Holly Rowe just stick to one of the other sports she covers?

Blonde is not LaChina Robinson's look.

I am once again asking ESPN to continue caring about the draft picks made after the Pointer-Blackmon Award is bestowed, instead of throwing them up on the screen five and six at a time while nattering about draft fashion (while starting with the original three *assigned* players, who were not drafted) or showing off Collier's baby bump, or whatever other nonsense was going on (by that point, the sound was off because Kym and Michaela and the DJ had *also* stopped caring about the draft, so I wasn't sure what all was going on, something about Cunane and a red phone?).

(now with spelling variations)
pilight

PostPosted: 04/11/22 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
So how many true rookies (non-Rennia Davis’s) make at least an opening-day roster? Maybe 15? Could be closer to 10…

History suggests a number closer to 20

PostPosted: 04/11/22 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

But pilight, sir, we’re talking about this year! Razz

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/11/22 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

Can Holly Rowe just stick to one of the other sports she covers?

Blonde is not LaChina Robinson's look.

I am once again asking ESPN to continue caring about the draft picks made after the Pointer-Blackmon Award is bestowed, instead of throwing them up on the screen five and six at a time while nattering about draft fashion (while starting with the original three *assigned* players, who were not drafted) or showing off Collier's baby bump, or whatever other nonsense was going on (by that point, the sound was off because Kym and Michaela and the DJ had *also* stopped caring about the draft, so I wasn't sure what all was going on, something about Cunane and a red phone?).

I like Holly. But not all the diversions that went on off after round one. I turned the sound off shortly thereafter. And agree, I love LaChina but blonde is NOT her best look.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/11/22 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
pilight wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Last year, with a much weaker class and two first rounders unavailable, 18 draftees appeared. That matched the record low set in 2010 (not counting the 1997 Elite draft that only had 16 players).

PostPosted: 04/11/22 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Sabally needs surgery, like the rumor I heard, I hope she does it right away and becomes a deferral pick...come in next year healthy. Half hobbled is not the way to start your W career.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/11/22 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

Less than a dozen.

PostPosted: 04/11/22 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
If Sabally needs surgery, like the rumor I heard, I hope she does it right away and becomes a deferral pick...come in next year healthy. Half hobbled is not the way to start your W career.

She always needs surgery

PostPosted: 04/11/22 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Might be right. $$ will likely shed a few "hangers-on" and keep more rookies. First four rookies are solid. Most of the rest are "hangers-on" level, but cheaper.

~rAf
Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/11/22 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
pilight wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Last year, with a much weaker class and two first rounders unavailable, 18 draftees appeared. That matched the record low set in 2010 (not counting the 1997 Elite draft that only had 16 players).

Potential counterpoints: We didn’t know just how weak the 2021 Class would be until we were a few games into the season. Also, with this upcoming season, there seem to be more teams vying to win it all (so why would they want a rookie when they can have a vet who will work for the min?), as well as more of a salary cap crunch across the board (aka a couple less roster spots in the League in general) due to none of the vets being on old-CBA maxes ($120k deals) anymore.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/11/22 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

makes sense, insurance posts were drafted

Ionescu/Whitcomb
Laney/Richards
Allen/Onyenwere
Howard/Kone/Shook
Dolson/Cubaj

one of Willoughby, Durr, Kea or Johannes
Sabally joins team in 23 almost a free lottery pick

pilight

PostPosted: 04/11/22 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
pilight wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
pilight wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Potential counterpoints: We didn’t know just how weak the 2021 Class would be until we were a few games into the season. Also, with this upcoming season, there seem to be more teams vying to win it all (so why would they want a rookie when they can have a vet who will work for the min?), as well as more of a salary cap crunch across the board (aka a couple less roster spots in the League in general) due to none of the vets being on old-CBA maxes ($120k deals) anymore.

Salary cap crunch generally means more cheap rookies playing.

PostPosted: 04/11/22 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

I like Holly. But not all the diversions that went on off after round one. I turned the sound off shortly thereafter.

I thought it was a bit cold to remind the second round draft invites that it’s tough as a second rounder to make a roster. But maybe the honesty will be motivating for them.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
awhom111

PostPosted: 04/11/22 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For those keeping score, the first pick was announced at 7:12, the first round finished at 8:17 and the last two rounds took about 20 minutes each.

Stormeo wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
Indiana selects Ali Patberg!

awhom will be thrilled. Melbourne a teenager in one pick, Patberg a 'grandma' the next. Smile

Laughing
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/11/22 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
myrtle wrote:

makes sense, insurance posts were drafted

Ionescu/Whitcomb
Laney/Richards
Allen/Onyenwere
Howard/Kone/Shook
Dolson/Cubaj

one of Willoughby, Durr, Kea or Johannes
Sabally joins team in 23 almost a free lottery pick

Cubaj is nowhere close to being a center. Darn good player, but not a center. Without Sabally, NY will have Dolson/Shook, so the worst center rotation in the league. Chicago did not win a ring until Dolson was no longer the starting center. She did GREAT as the BACKUP center.

~rAf
Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/11/22 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Salary cap crunch generally means more cheap rookies playing.

Generally. Sometimes $72k (vet min) and $60k-69k (rookie-scale deals) is a big difference, in terms of if it’s down to a vet vs a rookie for one spot. Sometimes it’s inconsequential, though. And how many rosters even can carry 12 players this year compared to last year?

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/11/22 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who’ll be the highest pick to get cut this year? Guessing it’ll be someone in the 9-12 range…

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 04/12/22 12:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
I thought Indiana got rid of Catch.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/12/22 2:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My Draft Grades

Overall these were mostly lukewarm. I didn't hate anything anyone did overall. I didn't love anything anyone did either – except Atlanta, and I even liked Phoenix loading up on posts, given the shocking & sad absence of Griner. Those two teams won Draft Night for me, strangely enough (I doubt anyone else will say that Phoenix was a winner given that they only had 3rd-round picks). But it was just a very 'meh' Draft in general imo. I think this is one that'll quickly blend in with the rest in a few years – it's not gonna be a groundbreaking one, nor a super awful one. Just sort of fine.

Atlanta: A+
1. Rhyne Howard, F/G, Kentucky
15. Naz Hillmon, F, Michigan

Howard was the near-consensus #1, and Atlanta rolled with that as they should have. Hillmon is a bargain pick having fallen to the second round. Atlanta bolsters their forward positions with plus-skilled players. Hillmon if she impresses can not only make the roster, but secure a spot in Atlanta's rotation. Atlanta was my clear winner of the Draft.

Connecticut: C+
12. Nia Clouden, CG, Michigan State
24. Jordan Lewis, PG, Baylor
36. Kiara Smith, PG, Florida

Clouden has the shooting ability to usurp either Carrington or K. Charles, but her skills will need to be on full display for her to do so. Lewis may seem like a redundant pick considering she plays a similar position to Clouden, but there is an interestingly decent chance Lewis makes the roster over Clouden due to quirks of the Sun's salary schedule this year – though that chance would've increased had this pick been used on a bigger wing player than another small guard. Smith is a wise deferral pick due to her devastating injury sustained about a month ago now. Still, Connecticut could've used some extra backup post competition due to Mompremier and S. Jones being lukewarm fits on this roster.

Dallas: C-
7. Veronica Burton, PG, Northwestern
30. Jasmine Dickey, G/F, Delaware
31. Jazz Bond, F, North Florida

I don't know what Dallas is doing. Unless they're about to buy out Jefferson's contract (or waive Harris, I guess, though she is also partially guaranteed), taking a PG is a curious move. Burton should have a chance at making the roster, but she may not find minutes once she does – especially as a rookie PG. Dickey and Bond meanwhile were great picks – it's just a shame that there is no clear path to either making the roster. Dallas would've been wiser to use one or both of these 3RPs on a deferral prospect, which were still widely available. If one of the Dallas' guards gets moved though, this grade shoots up substantially.

Indiana: C
2. NaLyssa Smith, F, Baylor
4. Emily Engstler, F, Louisville
6. Lexie Hull, G/F, Stanford
10. Queen Egbo, C/F, Baylor
20. Destanni Henderson, PG, South Carolina
25. Ameshya Williams-Holliday, C, Jackson State
34. Ali Patberg, PG, Indiana

The good news: The picks all turned out positionally very balanced. They got a steal late in that 2nd round with Henderson, and even Williams-Holliday has enough talent to be dark-horse contender for a roster spot. Oh, also, they didn't mess up the #2 Pick. The bad news: There were two or three obvious reaches (Egbo at 10, Hull at 6, even arguably Engstler at 4) that tarnish this performance from interim GM Lin Dunn. And instead of token hometown pick Patberg, this team really should've gotten a deferral pick with one of their seven picks – I don't think that would've been too much to ask.

Las Vegas: C-
8. Mya Hollingshed, F, Colorado
11. Kierstan Bell, F/G, FGCU
13. Khayla Pointer, PG, LSU
23. Aisha Sheppard, SG, Virginia Tech
35. Faustine Aifuwa, C, LSU

Another team that had a lot of picks and used them in a positionally balanced manner. Hollingshed at 8 is a reach, but the reach is offset by Bell being a steal at 11. (Imagine their placements switched?) It's hard to judge the picks of Pointer and Aifuwa objectively given their former coach is the team's President, so they could very well be nothing more than token picks – which is fine to do in the 3rd round, but not in the Draft's Top Half. Sheppard as a non-oversized pure shooter seems a bit redundant with Riquna Williams on the team taking that same role, and she wasn't even that great at it back in college (never shot above 40% from 3, nor 40% from the field in general). Off to a hazy start is the team's new trio of HC, GM, and President.

Los Angeles: B-
9. Rae Burrell, F/G, Tennessee
16. Kianna Smith, G/F, Louisville
19. Olivia Nelson-Ododa, F/C, UConn
27. Amy Atwell, F/G, Hawaii

This grade will hinge on whether or not Rae Burrell can rediscover her junior-year pre-injury magic when she shot career highs in FG% and 3PT%. Regardless, positionally this was the right pick in the moment. And she'll have her work cut out for her with Kianna Smith also having been drafted. It was obvious LA needed shooters more than anything, and they got three of them – Atwell at Hawaii shot 38% from 3 on over 6.5 attempts this past season. Meanwhile, Nelson-Ododa is the lone post taken, but she provides length and passing that could give the Sparks a different look in the post. The only thing troubling about the whole thing is the quality of talent that they drafted, which is not as obvious as the Sparks' shooting needs.

Minnesota: C+
22. Kayla Jones, F, NC State
28. Hannah Sjerven, F/C, South Dakota

While the Lynx didn't need to add more players to its pile, their biggest need was more post competition, and they got it in Sjerven, whose stock notably rose as this past NCAA Tourney went on. Jones meanwhile is a 3/4 player, of which the roster already has at least three of (RDavis, Powers, Collier). I really like Jones, but not for this team. The team could've used another PG option instead of a forward, and there were a couple of PG options still on the table at that point.

New York: B+
5. Nyara Sabally, F/C, Oregon
18. Lorela Cubaj, F/C, Georgia Tech (received from Seattle in exchange for NY's 2023 2RP)
29. Sika Kone, F, Mali

What New York needed most was not just post depth, but damn near half of an entire post rotation – and, welp, here it is! Sabally is a high-risk, high-reward prospect who could pan out fabulously. If she doesn't, the team should at least have a consolation prize in their possession with surprise trade acquisition Cubaj, whose ceiling may not be as high as Sabally's, but whose floor is still underrated and whose injury risk is much closer to the average player's. And then there's Kone, who absolutely no one expected to fall to the 3rd round. She would most likely arrive late, and be something of a project, but if this team can clear a spot for her when she's ready, look out. However, in spite of all these post pickups, the team still could've used some extra competition at backup PG, which was not addressed at all.

Seattle: C+
17. Elissa Cunane, C, NC State
21. Evina Westbrook, CG, UConn
33. Jade Melbourne, PG, Australia

Cunane is a steal, but she ultimately has a very uphill battle to make this roster given all the pre-existing post depth. If there was any team that should've taken all guards, it was Seattle. Westbrook would give the team a different look at the PG position given her size, but you wonder if there were simply more skilled PG options still on the table by the time the #17 Pick rolled around. Regardless, Melbourne was a great deferral pick who was also projected to go higher, and the trade of #18 Pick Cubaj to New York for a 2RP next year was quite savvy as well.

Phoenix: A-
26. Maya Dodson, F/C, Notre Dame
32. Macee Williams, F/C, IUPUI

I once said Dodson is a poor man's Brianna Turner – and now they're on the same team. It could be another case of redundancy, but Phoenix certainly needed some extra post depth. Macee Williams also incredibly has a nonzero chance at making this roster.

Washington: B
3. Shakira Austin, C, Ole Miss
14. Christyn Williams, G/F, UConn

So Thibault goes conventional in this Draft, and the result is the consensus #3 Pick being chosen, and a pretty normal pick in the 2nd round. Given the lack of a true SF pickup, you wonder if that's by design (ie, Delle Donne playing more SF this year to lessen the banging done in the post that would inflict harm on her fragile back). While Williams was expecting to be drafted in the early to mid 2nd round, was this the right place for her? The team has several true SGs on the roster already, even if they seemed to have depth at virtually any position – though often times, the best player available is just another guard (though that guard is usually not a former #1 high school recruit of an entire Class).

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/12/22 7:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
They're really gonna spend the last five minutes of this broadcast talking about Title IX? Instead of analyzing all these moves? Bye, this is literally why everyone stopped caring Crying or Very sad

ESPN educates us on everything but women's basketball. I realize we live in a time of social justice movements, political unrest, and a host of other things, but sometimes we want basketball to just be....basketball. I don't need Holly Rowe teaching me a class on this shit. The network as a whole has become shit, but the women's basketball coverage has become nothing more than a college course for its viewers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: