RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#2 Texas vs #1 Stanford - 3/27/22
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
Texas
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Stanford
100%
 100%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 12

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/27/22 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Attila the Tree forgets the Alamo. I'm reducing their chance to beat SCar to 51% due to their cruddy 3pt shooting.
mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/27/22 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to Stanford.

So after all of the upsets...what are the odds that we get 3 or 4 number 1 seeds. (And if it's 3 number 1 seeds and Uconn - that was what was predicted. Laughing )

PostPosted: 03/27/22 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Attila the Tree forgets the Alamo. I'm reducing their chance to beat SCar to 51% due to their cruddy 3pt shooting.

I figure they will re-remember by next weekend. But yeah, it's scary when they shoot clunkers. And it's scary when Brink thinks it's better to heave threes than to post up.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/27/22 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Congrats to Stanford.

So after all of the upsets...what are the odds that we get 3 or 4 number 1 seeds. (And if it's 3 number 1 seeds and Uconn - that was what was predicted. Laughing )

DraftKings gave these odds on the 19th:

Over 2.5
#1 SEEDS TO REACH FINAL FOUR
#1 Seeds to Reach Final Four (3/19 11:30 a.m.)
+100

Typical Vic game. I suggest everyone forget the results of both of tonight's games when trying to forecast what will happen in each team's next game. South Carolina won't look as unbeatable and Stanford won't look as vulnerable. Each played a unique opponent tonight.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/27/22 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Belibi was very effective tonight!

PostPosted: 03/28/22 1:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A very interesting game. Fun watching the strategic shifts.

Clearly, Vic has brought TX back to some semblance of their Glory Dayz, but he doesn't have the (wo)man power he did at State. Some talent, but his posts are fairly 3rd rate in comparison to what he had in Starkville. The starting posts combined for 2 pts and 5 rebounds.

Tara, Tara....you wiley wench! Razz I'm surprised it took her so long to go to the zone defense, which clearly was the move that took the wind outta Texas' momentum control.

Pretty safe to say The Better Team prevailed tonight. On to Minneapolis!

PostPosted: 03/28/22 1:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
pilight wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Ebo has done nothing. No points, assists, blocks, only 3 rebounds, and has gotten blocked numerous times. Is she any good?

She's never impressed me

She's just a big body. Definitely not a W player.

How odd. I was thinking how far she has come since leaving Penn State. She’s staring on a top 8 team in the nation and averaging 8 points and almost 7 boards a game. She’s been a successful role player on a team that doesn’t have a lot of size or experience in the front court. She’s tied for third most minutes on the team and I think it’s a credit to her hard work that she has been able to make this contribution. I haven’t seen anything indicating that she would be a prospect for the W. But then again, neither will most of the other players that were playing this weekend.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 03/28/22 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sweet victory! Very Happy

Durantula

PostPosted: 03/28/22 8:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Texas coaches angry at Tara. I'm sorry but I side with Tara here. Texas flops everywhere, gets away with so much on defense, I cannot remember how many times Stanford screeners were knocked to the ground, no foul. I bet if you were to look at the fouls called per team, Texas would rank really high

https://twitter.com/Blair__Schaefer/status/1508313875510308865

https://twitter.com/dee_d35/status/1508437851658096644

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/28/22 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Definitely a game of two styles. I was rooting for Stanford because I think they can take it all, but I love Texas. I love Rori Harmon, who my husband refers to as "that little shock-headed kid", and think she will probably, barring injury, end up as one of the all-time great PGs, and Joanne Allen-Taylor, and I wish they'd been in the other bracket. That said, I think Stanford can beat UConn. But their 3-point shooting was pretty awful last night. However, their precision was still on, and between Brink and Belibi, they took care of the inside.

I dread having Texas in the SEC next year.

PostPosted: 03/28/22 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sorry, duplicate

Last edited by summertime blues on 03/28/22 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/28/22 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice article here on Cameron Brink:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/2022/03/28/march-madness-cameron-brink-defense/7189061001/

I didn't realize she was only a sophomore. There's already such a maturity about her game.

Last edited by summertime blues on 03/28/22 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
MsProudSooner

PostPosted: 03/28/22 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How tall is Brink? She and Ebo are both listed as 6'4" on their respective rosters but Brink seems at least 2 inches taller than Ebo.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/28/22 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MsProudSooner wrote:
How tall is Brink? She and Ebo are both listed as 6'4" on their respective rosters but Brink seems at least 2 inches taller than Ebo.

Might be because Ebo is wider. I thought Brink was mentioned at 6'5.

PostPosted: 03/28/22 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MsProudSooner wrote:

Brink is probably 6’4” Ebo not so much. Some players tend to have an inflated height. Courtney Paris height was listed as 6’4” when at best it was 6’2”.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/28/22 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
MsProudSooner wrote:

Brink is probably 6’4” Ebo not so much. Some players tend to have an inflated height. Courtney Paris height was listed as 6’4” when at best it was 6’2”.

The B12 is more blatant about height inflation than other conferences

PostPosted: 03/28/22 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Re: Texas' gripes about Tara....forget "hook'em", I say "F**'em". That's just sour grape bullshit.

I saw that same kinda thing 11 years ago, when Vic was the Dean of Defense at Texas A&M, and they took Stanford down in the FF at Indy. I was there, and saw how "tough" and "physical" they were, and Dee Kanter "let 'em play". Even Mechelle Voepel, down on press row, was texting me about how bullshitty the foul-calling was, against Stanford, for TX A&M.

Vic knows. Lotsa coaches know: if you haven't got the raw talent, you rely on 'other things', like the physicality factor to throw a better team off.

Harmon is, imo, the best pure talent he has. Period. He has a LOTTA hard-working hustlers - and that's not unimportant - but physicality is their best hope against elite teams like Stanford. Ebo looks like a sweet kid but....a bit of a lump. A much-improved lump, but still....

Belibi was a difference-maker last night. I still think she's operating way below her actual potential. There were several times last night when she got the ball in the high post with a (relatively) clear lane, and she'd only look to pass, when - with her athleticism - she could so easily take one long dribble and nail a 5ft. jumper. I hope Tara develops some more moves like that in Fran. Her physical ability is amazing.

And threes. The Trees need their THREES! Texas' defense on the perimeter was stellar, but Stanford needs find a way to improve there if they want the whole enchilada again.

PostPosted: 03/28/22 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Re: Texas' gripes about Tara....forget "hook'em", I say "F**'em". That's just sour grape bullshit.

I saw that same kinda thing 11 years ago, when Vic was the Dean of Defense at Texas A&M, and they took Stanford down in the FF at Indy. I was there, and saw how "tough" and "physical" they were, and Dee Kanter "let 'em play". Even Mechelle Voepel, down on press row, was texting me about how bullshitty the foul-calling was, against Stanford, for TX A&M.

Vic knows. Lotsa coaches know: if you haven't got the raw talent, you rely on 'other things', like the physicality factor to throw a better team off.

Harmon is, imo, the best pure talent he has. Period. He has a LOTTA hard-working hustlers - and that's not unimportant - but physicality is their best hope against elite teams like Stanford. Ebo looks like a sweet kid but....a bit of a lump. A much-improved lump, but still....

Belibi was a difference-maker last night. I still think she's operating way below her actual potential. There were several times last night when she got the ball in the high post with a (relatively) clear lane, and she'd only look to pass, when - with her athleticism - she could so easily take one long dribble and nail a 5ft. jumper. I hope Tara develops some more moves like that in Fran. Her physical ability is amazing.

And threes. The Trees need their THREES! Texas' defense on the perimeter was stellar, but Stanford needs find a way to improve there if they want the whole enchilada again.

I remember reading a quote from Gary Blair that their philosophy was to play so physically that the officials got tired of blowing their whistles. When Texas A&M first started defending like that, it seemed to be because they didn't have the offensive talent to score and needed to the turnovers and easy layups to win. The year they won the NC, they had more offensive talent and seemed to back off of the agressive defense somewhat.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 03/28/22 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
MsProudSooner wrote:

The B12 is more blatant about height inflation than other conferences

I’m still not convinced Nalyssa Smith is 6’4” either

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/28/22 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tara calls it like she sees it.
I love Rory Harmon. Also think she sometimes tries to do too much herself. Allen-Taylor is also a talent - so smooth and accurate with the mid-range shot. Replacing her will not be so easy. Warren hitting the threes off the bench was also big for them. The other players were mostly fillers. Freshman Moore definitely also has talent. Assuming he's able to recruit well, the team will have a lot of upside. I didn't really notice much about Gaston and Holle but since they're only Sophs they probably have upside.

As for physicality, I think the purpose of his whole bench except maybe Lattimore is to come in and bump, push, elbow, flop. That Matharu and Warren only had 3 fouls between them is pretty amazing since I would say they were most like the rugby players on the floor. There is a fine line between physical and 'dirty'. I would not like to be a ref in a Texas game.

Stanford is not generally known as an overly physical team so it's interesting that the foul calls went equally both ways.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/28/22 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Stanford is not generally known as an overly physical team so it's interesting that the foul calls went equally both ways.

I think, if you factor in the Stanford fouls that did NOT come from defensive actions, but considered offensive fouls on flops, etc., the foul tally isn't so equal. And, in fairness, I've seen Stanford be less than angelic, [see: Hull sisters in action Razz]

PostPosted: 03/28/22 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Myrtle must have forgotten when Brink gently pushed Beal enough so she would miss an important layup. Definitely a dirty play.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KvVUpvNj7S4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Howee

PostPosted: 03/28/22 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I dunno....that looked like a bright move.

A. NOT dangerous, physically....therefore NOT 'dirty'.
B. Intended it to be a foul called 'on the floor', as opposed to a foul on the shot for an and-1 and the lead.

PostPosted: 03/28/22 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I dread having Texas in the SEC next year.

Officially, this is still not happening until 25-26. But the bump in revenue each team will recieve will wash out any buyout/fine from the Big 12 if they leave early within 2 years, so there's virtually a 0% chance of it actually taking that long. But they definitely haven't announced anything for next season. Most likely scenario is they both leave in 23-24, when the 4 new schools are set to join, but it could happen.

PostPosted: 03/28/22 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've never said Stanford is angelic. They play hard. They obviously do foul. And most players on all teams test the waters to see how much contact they can get away with but Tara does not encourage or coach dirty play. All I'm saying is that in contrast, a couple of the Texas players act like kamikaze missiles and their coach seems to encourage that. I'm not talking about just this game, but pretty much every game I see them play.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: