RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#5 North Carolina vs #1 South Carolina - 3/25/22
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
North Carolina
31%
 31%  [ 5 ]
South Carolina
68%
 68%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 16

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/25/22 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
UNC not ready to take this game. Sad because they are talented enough. Just aren’t executing when it matters most.

Really don't have enough of an inside game.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/25/22 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UNC just gave that away at the end there.

And the best player on the court won. But South Carolina could get beat by a good offensive team.

PostPosted: 03/25/22 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gamecocks win 69-61 and advance to the Elite Eight. Aliyah Boston led the Gamecocks with 28 pts on 8-13 shooting, and 22 rebounds. Zia Cooke scored 15 pts - all in the 1st half - and Destanni Henderson added 13 pts. Victaria had 6 pts and a new career high of 14 rebounds.

The Tarheels were led by Deja Kelly with 23 pts and 5 rebounds. Alexandra Zelaya added 10 pts....

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/25/22 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dominating 25-7 on o-boards, S. Car. wins shooting 33% and only 8 assists.
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 03/25/22 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

And the best player on the court won. But South Carolina could get beat by a good offensive team.

Disagree. South Carolina's defense is too good, this outlier notwithstanding. And while UNC was supposed to have the 19th-ranked Scoring Defense, South Carolina still scored 69 points when their season's average was 71 ppg, shooting 33.3% for the game. The Gamecocks meanwhile held UNC to 12.5 pts below their average.

The Gamecocks next play the winner between Iowa State and Creighton, who are 14th and 22nd nationally in Scoring Offense, respectively. But they are also 171st and 177th in Scoring Defense. I expect the next game to be more of a decisive score for the Gamecocks.....

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/25/22 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Disagree. South Carolina's defense is too good, this outlier notwithstanding. And while UNC was supposed to have the 19th-ranked Scoring Defense, South Carolina still scored 69 points when their season's average was 71 ppg, shooting 33.3% for the game. The Gamecocks meanwhile held UNC to 12.5 pts below their average.

The Gamecocks next play the winner between Iowa State and Creighton, who are 14th and 22nd nationally in Scoring Offense, respectively. But they are also 171st and 177th in Scoring Defense. I expect the next game to be more of a decisive score for the Gamecocks.....

I would think so too. It goes without say that the team needs to play defense. But my point was South Carolina's offense is not good. It's Pat Summit offense, with the best post player in America. (BTW: As a Uconn fan, I'm jealous of all those layups your post players made..)

PostPosted: 03/25/22 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

South Carolina's going to be up, like, six points, with a minute to go in the Final game, and rebkellians are still going to be insisting that they don't have enough offense to win the championship.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/25/22 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

South Carolina's going to be up, like, six points, with a minute to go in the Final game, and rebkellians are still going to be insisting that they don't have enough offense to win the championship.

Nah - especially this year. They don't need a lot of offense to win it all.

It's simply that they don't have enough offense to be unbeatable.

PostPosted: 03/25/22 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

What difference does it make if they're "unbeatable," if they're good enough to beat the teams across from them? Could they beat the 2016 Huskies? Maybe not, but they don't have to play those girls. Are they good enough to be considered an all-time team, if they win the championship? Who cares?

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 03/25/22 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Nah - especially this year. They don't need a lot of offense to win it all.

Which means what? Because last time I checked, there's NO team this season that fits that bill.......

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/25/22 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

What difference does it make if they're "unbeatable," if they're good enough to beat the teams across from them? Could they beat the 2016 Huskies? Maybe not, but they don't have to play those girls. Are they good enough to be considered an all-time team, if they win the championship? Who cares?

I mean that they are beatable by this field too.

That doesn't make them not the favorites, (IMO, the team with best player in the field is usually the favorite) but they aren't the favorites to the extent that dominant teams in the past were.

They face a team with great defense and excellent guard play, and they could have a problem. (Of course, they'll still have Boston, so..)

PostPosted: 03/25/22 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

South Carolina could win it all. They could also lose to any of the teams left in the tournament. They'll be favored in every game, and rightly so. It's just hard to string together six straight wins against good teams when you shoot 36% and under every time.

PostPosted: 03/25/22 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

That doesn't make them not the favorites, (IMO, the team with best player in the field is usually the favorite) but they aren't the favorites to the extent that dominant teams in the past were.

Okay... And? Like, I got your point the first time but, again, why is that important? They're playing against Creighton in the next round, not history. I swear, the Tennessee and Connecticut dynasties have caused some of y'all to have unrealistic expectations for championship teams.

People have been bemoaning a lack of parity in the women's game for years and, now that they have something close to it, they realize that they didn't really want it: they just wanted different schools to take turns being the dominant/unbeatable one.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/25/22 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I noticed they don't really have any teams with big posts in SC's bracket. That's a huge advantage for them.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/25/22 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
mercfan wrote:
UNC not ready to take this game. Sad because they are talented enough. Just aren’t executing when it matters most.

Really don't have enough of an inside game.

Not yet, at least. I must say, I was duly impressed with Miss Kelly; I don't follow UNC much (do we even have any Tarheel fans here?), but she certainly is a bright spot for them.

pilight wrote:
South Carolina could win it all. They could also lose to any of the teams left in the tournament. They'll be favored in every game, and rightly so. It's just hard to string together six straight wins against good teams when you shoot 36% and under every time.

That 'bout sums it up, imo: nobody seems to be quantum leaps beyond anyone else, among the few best. S. Carolina is clearly good, but not invincible. THIS, tho, shall keep things interesting until the last buzzer at The Finals.

PostPosted: 03/26/22 7:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Okay... And? Like, I got your point the first time but, again, why is that important? They're playing against Creighton in the next round, not history. I swear, the Tennessee and Connecticut dynasties have caused some of y'all to have unrealistic expectations for championship teams.

People have been bemoaning a lack of parity in the women's game for years and, now that they have something close to it, they realize that they didn't really want it: they just wanted different schools to take turns being the dominant/unbeatable one.

It was my commentary on the game Laughing

Maybe I misunderstood you, but it seemed like you thought they were unlikely to be beat.

And btw, I do want parity in women’s basketball - but I really don’t want it to turn into the mess that Mcbb can be. Thus, I honestly don’t like that a team that shoots 36% is the best team. If that’s the winner, that’s not parity, that’s lack of quality teams.

PostPosted: 03/27/22 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
It was my commentary on the game :lol:

Maybe I misunderstood you, but it seemed like you thought they were unlikely to be beat.

I don't have a strong opinion on whether South Carolina is likely to be beat; truth be told, I'm not even watching the games. What happened was, I checked the SC score after the first round, and came to see what rebkellians were saying about it, to find a number of posters unimpressed by the Gamecocks' offense. Then I did the same thing after the second round, and many of the same posters were saying that they didn't think that South Carolina had enough offense to win the championship. And then I checked back in, again, after the Sweet Sixteen game, and people were still repeating the same thing, which led me to say, "South Carolina's going to be up, like, six points, with a minute to go in the Final game, and rebkellians are still going to be insisting that they don't have enough offense to win the championship." It just felt to me like some people were so invested in wanting to be right about the Gamecocks' offense, that they were trying to will South Carolina's failure into existence.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 03/27/22 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

And btw, I do want parity in women’s basketball - but I really don’t want it to turn into the mess that Mcbb can be. Thus, I honestly don’t like that a team that shoots 36% is the best team. If that’s the winner, that’s not parity, that’s lack of quality teams.

A team that is unlikely to be beat, and a team that is unbeatable, are two different teams......

Cool

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/27/22 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

I don't have a strong opinion on whether South Carolina is likely to be beat; truth be told, I'm not even watching the games. What happened was, I checked the SC score after the first round, and came to see what rebkellians were saying about it, to find a number of posters unimpressed by the Gamecocks' offense. Then I did the same thing after the second round, and many of the same posters were saying that they didn't think that South Carolina had enough offense to win the championship. And then I checked back in, again, after the Sweet Sixteen game, and people were still repeating the same thing, which led me to say, "South Carolina's going to be up, like, six points, with a minute to go in the Final game, and rebkellians are still going to be insisting that they don't have enough offense to win the championship." It just felt to me like some people were so invested in wanting to be right about the Gamecocks' offense, that they were trying to will South Carolina's failure into existence.

That's fair.

Granted - that's not at all how I feel about South Carolina. I love Dawn..I think she's a total class act, and I hope she takes the mantel for WCBB after Geno retires (well, her..whoever Geno's replacement is, and I'm rooting for my favorite ex Tennessee Grad, Kara Lawson.) I wouldn't mind seeing her get another NC at all, and Boston is an incredible player and IMO the clear POY.

I just happen to like pretty offense (I wish Boston got to play with a great guard. Even Miles would make it a ton better), and the team challenges my view of basketball a bit. Laughing

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: