RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn won the battle...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 03/21/22 10:25 pm    ::: UConn won the battle... Reply Reply with quote

Geno might have more championships but Pat Summitt won the war for WCBB's soul. Lots of teams playing her style, flinging the ball at rim and counting on your athletes to out-jump the other team for the rebound. Hardly any play classic UConn's finesse game.

PostPosted: 03/22/22 1:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Would you say this reversion to “Summit ball” also applies to the current Incarnation of the Huskies?

singinerd54

PostPosted: 03/22/22 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm interested in unpacking this more, because I'm not sure it's true at first glance.

"Geno ball": Big 12 and Big 10, generally (Iowa, Maryland, Oklahoma, & Iowa State as prime examples). Villanova, Creighton, Princeton*, Stanford*, DePaul, Notre Dame

"Pat ball": SEC, generally (South Carolina and Tennessee as prime examples). UCF, USF, Texas, Arizona, Georgia Tech, old Rutgers

*Stanford and Princeton (among others) may have been there first. I'm more so identifying current styles of play that fit either option rather than saying Geno/Pat caused these programs to play such a way.

Any glaring teams I missed? (I'm not well versed on teams outside the Top 25, generally.) Any disagreements? I don't think all teams necessarily fit into one or the other (Louisville and NC State as two examples). I may be conflating high scoring with the "classic UConn finesse game," quality offense, etc., too. As I've sorted them, there seems to be relatively comparable prominence of each.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/22/22 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Could it be a result of what is happening in HSs? Less emphasis on skill and more on athleticism? Not sure, but there seems to be a lot of athletes out there who haven't even learned how to make FTs, which is about the most basic skill that exists.

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 03/22/22 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Could it be a result of what is happening in HSs? Less emphasis on skill and more on athleticism? Not sure, but there seems to be a lot of athletes out there who haven't even learned how to make FTs, which is about the most basic skill that exists.

and/or layups

Howee

PostPosted: 03/22/22 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmmm. Now, where might one peg Oregon in that scheme? I see them as a team that - at their best with Sabrina, Satou & Ruthie) - played their own style, with surgical precision on offense, relying heavily on 3s but always needing the post presence for balance.

singinerd54 wrote:
I don't think all teams necessarily fit into one or the other (Louisville and NC State as two examples).

I'm inclined to see it that way, too.

I mean, everybody sees what they see and what they THINK they see. Razz

Geno certainly generated his own *brand* of game, and it was different from Pat's, or Tara's....and I'm sure each of them could tell you how their own styles changed/evolved over the years.

Past the simple, "Yeah, team X played a lot like team Z tonight", the broader comparisons don't get me too excited. I DO like how the entire game has evolved (....and remember, when *I* was a kid, the girls played a 6-man game), from the team with the tallest gal prolly wins (Semanova, 1976 Olympics) to the bigs that can play the 1 or 2 if needed (Parker, et al.)

Sylvia Hatchell was unique, imo, with her run-n-gun style. CViv, too....very different with her 189% defense. I personally like that the college game has changed so that you can now find a team like Belmont or Creighton that doesn't need superior size or athleticism to beat The Big Dogs.

PostPosted: 03/23/22 8:04 am    ::: Re: UConn won the battle... Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Geno might have more championships but Pat Summitt won the war for WCBB's soul. Lots of teams playing her style, flinging the ball at rim and counting on your athletes to out-jump the other team for the rebound. Hardly any play classic UConn's finesse game.

I was just talking about this the other day. I think some of it has to do with the fact that young girls look up to NBA players and try to emulate them, which they're allowed to do, and sadly, they just can't.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 03/23/22 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I disagree with the current NBA is running Pat styled offenses. I don't believe she had 5 outs with the one of the forwards running the offense and the rest of the players are primarily three point shooters. I don't she ran offense that was analytics based on shooting either 3 pointers or layups.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 05/10/22 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now I understand why I don't get involved in women's college basketball discussions. People have their favorite teams that they worship like Gods. If any person tries to bring an objective opinion into a conversation these people's underwear get twisted into a complex knot. There is more vitriol on the women's college threads than the WNBA threads. It's like the Hatfields versus the McCoys.
I will never, EVER make any comment about any women's college basketball team. DONE.🙄

PostPosted: 05/10/22 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
There is more vitriol on the women's college threads than the WNBA threads. It's like the Hatfields versus the McCoys.
I will never, EVER make any comment about any women's college basketball team. DONE.🙄

Shocked Huh?? Where'd that come from? I mean, some of the game threads get Uber-Fanzy....but this thread is pretty harmless. Laughing

PostPosted: 05/10/22 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
There is more vitriol on the women's college threads than the WNBA threads. It's like the Hatfields versus the McCoys.

Shocked Huh?? Where'd that come from? I mean, some of the game threads get Uber-Fanzy....but this thread is pretty harmless. Laughing

Yes, it is harmless. I needed to vent and didn't know where to go.

PostPosted: 05/11/22 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would have said that UConn lost the battle. The incredibly active transfer portal suggests that the kids are looking out primarily for themselves more than ever. AAU and high school had already taught them that individual performances are what attract college recruiters, not team wins, so they go where they think their numbers will improve. (Hello Shakira Austin.)

Whereas Geno has famously said, "If you come play for me, you won't lead the country in anything...except wins."

After watching Angel Rees and Ashley Owusu plowing into the paint for the past two years, I wouldn't say that Maryland plays a lot of finesse ball--in fact, we still often play like Alyssa Thomas wannabes.

But that's just me, and I happen to like the finesse game.

Edited to add: Having reread the OP, I see that I didn't follow the implication: to wit, that UConn might have won the battle of championships, but Pat won the war of playing styles. Yes, I agree, almost violently, but with finesse.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: