RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#7 Central Florida vs #2 Connecticut - 3/21/22
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 03/22/22 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
Connecticut is the best team that can't shoot I've ever seen.......

Rolling Eyes

Also, what is this??? Paige Bueckers was averaging 21.2 ppg when she suffered her broken leg. Since her return, she's scored 8, 2, 16, 2, 2, 12, and 9 points, for an average of 7.3 ppg. And even lately, in her last 3 games, she's averaged 7.7 ppg.

Are we certain that she's fully healed from her injury??

Are you again trying to accuse Geno of playing injured players? Didn't you do this during the 2019-2020 season when we tried to get E immediate eligibility and when she didn't, she decided to have surgery on her knee?

Shocked

So you're saying that Evina was fully healed and healthy, but decided to have a surgical procedure done for shits and giggles??

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/22/22 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Also, what is this??? Paige Bueckers was averaging 21.2 ppg when she suffered her broken leg. Since her return, she's scored 8, 2, 16, 2, 2, 12, and 9 points, for an average of 7.3 ppg. And even lately, in her last 3 games, she's averaged 7.7 ppg.

Are you again trying to accuse Geno of playing injured players? Didn't you do this during the 2019-2020 season when we tried to get E immediate eligibility and when she didn't, she decided to have surgery on her knee?

Shocked

So you're saying that Evina was fully healed and healthy, but decided to have a surgical procedure done for shits and giggles??

Sometimes players “clean up” their knee or ankle. (I’m not sure exactly what that means) Sue Bird used to do so periodically.

Paige had been cleared to play by medical staff. Period.

PostPosted: 03/22/22 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

That has nothing to do with performance. Medically cleared just means that the person can play without a genuine risk of serious harm or death. It has zero to do with whether they can play at anything approaching their pre-condition level.

There's actually quite a bit of court litigation over this issue, both in liability cases and in suits under the Rehabilitation Act and other laws by players who have been blocked from playing by team physicians.

So she can be "medically cleared" and still not be able to play well.

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 03/23/22 6:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

That has nothing to do with performance. Medically cleared just means that the person can play without a genuine risk of serious harm or death. It has zero to do with whether they can play at anything approaching their pre-condition level.

There's actually quite a bit of court litigation over this issue, both in liability cases and in suits under the Rehabilitation Act and other laws by players who have been blocked from playing by team physicians.

i agree with this, generally speaking.

IMO if this injury happened in October or November, she/they wouldn't have played her as soon (an extra 1-2 months of healing/preparing). i think its pretty clear they brought her back for tournament play.

basically - i am saying if there was another 3 weeks of regular season, i think they would have waited those extra 3 weeks.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/23/22 6:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Yes, it generally takes time for players to get back to themselves after injury. But usually the way they get back to themselves is by playing. She doesn’t even have minute restrictions any longer.

I know Geno hate is in fashion lately, but suggesting he wouldn’t have his player’s best interest is over the line. Quite frankly, Paige came back later than was expected, partially because they were being cautious.

PostPosted: 03/23/22 8:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Shocked

Before the Tennessee game during the 2019-2020 season I sat at a bar in Hartford, CT.....and chatted with Evina's mother for about 45 minutes. She was lovely, forthcoming, and happy that E was so happy at UCONN. We talked about a variety of topics, including that surgery. I can't this in quotes because I can't recall verbatim what she said, but it was long the lines of this-

At some point Evina was going to need surgery on her knee. She could've played that year(2019-2020) and been fine, but when she didn't become eligible immediately after her transfer, her doctors, our family, and UCONN decided to clean it up now.

That better?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/23/22 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Yes, it generally takes time for players to get back to themselves after injury. But usually the way they get back to themselves is by playing. She doesn’t even have minute restrictions any longer.

I know Geno hate is in fashion lately, but suggesting he wouldn’t have his player’s best interest is over the line. Quite frankly, Paige came back later than was expected, partially because they were being cautious.

Actually, they usually "get back to themselves" by rehab, workouts and practice, not playing when they can't perform well.

And on what do you base your supposition that she came back later "because they were being cautious" rather than because her injury was more severe or was not healing as quickly as hoped?

I don't profess to know the truth, but unless you're her doctor or physical therapist, I don't know how you could actually know her actual planned schedule or the reasons for any change in schedule. Geno's or the UConnWBB sports information office or Boneyard posters statements to press or fans do not qualify as reliable facts.

BTW, I am not suggesting or implying she's not sufficiently fit to safely play or be cleared. I'm more curious why they're playing her giving her seeming lack of readiness to perform. Don't they have others who could fill that role as well or better than she is now? Is this a Willis Reed "psyche up the team and fans by her return" moment?

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/23/22 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think even Paige at 60% is better than most other players. So as long as it doesn't injure/re-injure her, why not play her.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/23/22 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree that Paige at 60%-80% gives UConn a better chance to advance than no Paige at all.

UConn's big problem is the bigs, not the guards. Against UCF, ONO, Edwards and Juhasz only took an anemic combined 12 field goals and made a pathetic combined 2, missing many point blank layups and putbacks. Plus they got out-rebounded. Finally, two of them fouled out.

All three of UConn's bigs are inconsistent, sometimes wildly so, especially on offense. None has an effective back-to-the-basket post move, much less a repertoire.

In addition, I don't understand how they are being used lots of the time in the high post. Often, one or both are out at the top of the key holding the ball, not knowing what to do with it, knowing they are not good shooters from there, passing into congested paint traffic for turnovers, but mostly just trying desperately to hand off the unwanted hot rock to the guards again while the shot clock keeps running down for an ultimately rushed outside shot.
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 03/23/22 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I agree that Paige at 60%-80% gives UConn a better chance to advance than no Paige at all.

UConn's big problem is the bigs, not the guards. Against UCF, ONO, Edwards and Juhasz only took an anemic combined 12 field goals and made a pathetic combined 2, missing many point blank layups and putbacks. Plus they got out-rebounded. Finally, two of them fouled out.

All three of UConn's bigs are inconsistent, sometimes wildly so, especially on offense. None has an effective back-to-the-basket post move, much less a repertoire.

In addition, I don't understand how they are being used lots of the time in the high post. Often, one or both are out at the top of the key holding the ball, not knowing what to do with it, knowing they are not good shooters from there, passing into congested paint traffic for turnovers, but mostly just trying desperately to hand off the unwanted hot rock to the guards again while the shot clock keeps running down for an ultimately rushed outside shot.

This is strange to read, especially with Juhasz, who supposedly was pretty adept in the post at her previous program.

Is it coaching then, or perhaps the offensive scheming, where playing back-to-the-basket post offense is a square peg to Auriemma's round hole of an offense? He likes to have his players move through the paint as part of his motion offense - perhaps bigs planting themselves in the post - with defenders there with them - clogs up the paint and prevents the free flow of that motion offense?? Of course, on defense they HAVE to be there because opponents' bigs will post up in the paint....

RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/23/22 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

This! Right on the nose! That first team of UConn is offensively limited by the front court with their tendencies to foul, walk and panic at put-backs and lay ups. Neither ONO nor Edwards has her footwork down. Trouble abounds against the oncoming big/strong formidable front courts. Geno's got some real problems here. I think Caroline is going to be needed for added scoring to offset some of these the front court deficiencies, during times when the formidable front court opponents are on the bench throughout the game.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/24/22 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Shocked

Before the Tennessee game during the 2019-2020 season I sat at a bar in Hartford, CT.....and chatted with Evina's mother for about 45 minutes. She was lovely, forthcoming, and happy that E was so happy at UCONN. We talked about a variety of topics, including that surgery. I can't this in quotes because I can't recall verbatim what she said, but it was long the lines of this-

At some point Evina was going to need surgery on her knee. She could've played that year(2019-2020) and been fine, but when she didn't become eligible immediately after her transfer, her doctors, our family, and UCONN decided to clean it up now.

That better?

I was a participant in that conversation and vouch for the accuracy of this recount.

(Not that the haters give a hoot). Wink

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 03/24/22 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So instead of saying "fully healed" I should say "fully recovered"......

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 03/24/22 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

This! Right on the nose! That first team of UConn is offensively limited by the front court with their tendencies to foul, walk and panic at put-backs and lay ups. Neither ONO nor Edwards has her footwork down. Trouble abounds against the oncoming big/strong formidable front courts. Geno's got some real problems here. I think Caroline is going to be needed for added scoring to offset some of these the front court deficiencies, during times when the formidable front court opponents are on the bench throughout the game.

So you're saying that Connecticut is a leading program in Abounds Per Game this season????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: