RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#10 Creighton vs #2 Iowa - 3/20/22
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howee

PostPosted: 03/20/22 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well. After these past few days, there can be NO ONE on this planet with a perfect bracket anymore. Huge congrats to Creighton....did NOT expect this. Cinderella slippers fit 'em just fine. Cool

pilight wrote:
Looks like home advantage will be a difference maker again
Hmmm. And Belmont can't win in OT, eh? Hmmm. Razz Laughing

tfan wrote:
Creighton was really good at chasing offensive rebounds and when they couldn't grab it, tapping it away from an Iowa player.

I noticed that early in the game....I don't know that I've ever seen an entire team employ that strategy so effectively throughout a game. VERY effective - Creighton outrebounded Iowa, 52-37.
As much as I love rooting for underdogs, I really was rooting for Iowa; I was REALLY looking forward to Iowa's potential matchups ahead. And when was the last time a team had the nation's leading scorer, assister (is that a word?), and the player with the best FG%....and doesn't make it past the 2nd round?? Shocked

ArtBest23 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
I'm kind of not liking Clark so much. I'm just not that impressed by her.

I don't think the problem is her, I think her supporting cast is pretty mediocre. Typical Iowa-style players. .

Ummm, ya. IMO, if you lead the nation in scoring AND assists, and lead your P5 team to a conference title, you qualify as impressive. That she couldn't pull this one out of the fire doesn't really diminish that.

Undersized_post....I feel yer pain! Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: 03/20/22 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Big East!!!

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 03/20/22 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

I don't think the problem is her, I think her supporting cast is pretty mediocre. Typical Iowa-style players.

And Bluder is still mired in 2005 while the game has evolved.

X____

Although, I didn't like Clark sprawled on the court due to not getting the foul called. Confused

pilight

PostPosted: 03/20/22 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

I don't think the problem is her, I think her supporting cast is pretty mediocre. Typical Iowa-style players.

X____

Although, I didn't like Clark sprawled on the court due to not getting the foul called. Confused

There was plenty of that both ways during the game. The refs were really letting them play.

PostPosted: 03/20/22 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

X____

There was plenty of that both ways during the game. The refs were really letting them play.

Yep, but at that juncture of the game she should've been back up on defense instead of wallowing on the floor.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/20/22 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just another notable point that no one mentioned here: that crowd at Iowa was freekin AMAZING!! Obviously, the loss was all the more bitter, but still....kudos to Iowa for such a terrific turnout.

PostPosted: 03/21/22 6:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just goes to show that any decent hot 3 point shooting team along with the lack of proper officiating can bring about an unfair result or in this case an upset. Now, we will never know which team should have or would have truly won the game.

Although, like the majority of people, I enjoy watching an upset and congratulate the victor for their effort, I do feel the lack of proper officiating was the main reason for victory and defeat respectively.

Iowa got mauled and the officiating irresponsibly ignored it.

Officiating should be the same throughout the playoffs as it was during the season and should be in accordance with the official rules. Changing and/or ignoring the rules of the game in post season by the officials or NCAA is not reflective of fairness and it should not be improperly masked or covered up in what is referred to as "letting them play." At least not to this game's extent.

The NCAA is at fault for allowing or advocating this type of officiating to take place.

I am a fan of both teams and would have preferred a deservedly fair result by either team.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/21/22 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Iowa would have taken care of business earlier in this game the officiating would not be a topic. They simply did not get it done and they have no one to blame but themselves.

PostPosted: 03/21/22 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Although, like the majority of people, I enjoy watching an upset and congratulate the victor for their effort, I do feel the lack of proper officiating was the main reason for victory and defeat respectively.

Iowa got mauled and the officiating irresponsibly ignored it.

Officiating should be the same throughout the playoffs as it was during the season and should be in accordance with the official rules. Changing and/or ignoring the rules of the game in post season by the officials or NCAA is not reflective of fairness and it should not be improperly masked or covered up in what is referred to as "letting them play." At least not to this game's extent.

The NCAA is at fault for allowing or advocating this type of officiating to take place.

I am a fan of both teams and would have preferred a deservedly fair result by either team.

Well, you and I clearly saw 2 different games. Laughing Though I couldn't say the officiating was stellar, it certainly was not THE predominant factor in the game's outcome.

PostPosted: 03/22/22 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:

Not a fan of the phrase or the concept of “letting them play” which could also be stated as “letting them foul”. And yeah, it also could be stated that people are praising that it is good that they are “calling the game to a different standard this time”.

tfan

PostPosted: 03/22/22 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/EEEC3bZlVmo

tfan

PostPosted: 03/22/22 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

*duplicate*

Last edited by tfan on 03/22/22 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
tfan

PostPosted: 03/22/22 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

*duplicate*

Last edited by tfan on 03/22/22 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
tfan

PostPosted: 03/22/22 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

*duplicate*

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/22/22 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I only saw one egregious example of a foul not called in that clip. Most of it appeared to be pretty clean.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/22/22 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd love to see a montage of every time Clark drove the ball into the paint and attempted a shot at the rim in this game. That would give a good idea of the contact that was/wasn't called.

More importantly though, I think Iowa made a huge mistake trying to play the 2-3 zone as long as they did in the first half. That's when they started getting killed on the glass and giving up too many 3 point looks. I also think Iowa needed better situational lineups in the second half. The starters played too many minutes. Lastly, I think Iowa should have taken a timeout when they had a 4 point lead and possession with just under 2 minutes to go in the 4Q. Needed to get everyone a breather, come out with a set play, and refocus the defense. Instead I think Bluder was banking on riding the momentum of Iowa having just retaken the lead and getting one or two more buckets to put the game out of reach, but it didn't work.

It was a big upset as far as seeds go, but Bluder acknowledged that it would be a difficult game. Said she would have rather played Colorado because they would have been easy too defend than Creighton's 5-out offense. Also, Creighton knows Iowa's offensive tendencies much better than your average NCAA tournament opponent (they scrimmaged every year), so credit to that coach for coming in with a great game plan and credit to the players for executing.

Disappointing loss for Iowa, but they played really poorly as far as shooting and rebounding yet still only lost by a single possession. Much better tournament showing, all things considered, than some of the other top 16 seeds who got absolutely embarrassed (Baylor, OU, LSU, Arizona).

Still so much to be proud of about the season!

PostPosted: 03/22/22 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We need some video of non-calls the other way too. The refs weren't calling anything on anybody.

PostPosted: 03/22/22 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
Shades wrote:
It’s always fun seeing Clark getting stuffed in the paint.

Yikes, they are definitely folding people up in this game! Is it that clean or are they just letting it go? Fun game!

Some people think that just because a player falls down on a layup they must be getting fouled. Wrong. If their layup gets blocked while it’s still on their hand, it almost always throws the player off balance. And some players even throw themselves off balance.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: