RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Go Tara - Go Nell - Go Paige - Go Dawn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/17/22 11:42 pm    ::: Go Tara - Go Nell - Go Paige - Go Dawn Reply Reply with quote

Pledging $10 to Ukrainian humanitarian aid for every made three pointer. And challenging others to help in whatever way they can. Great idea!!

Quote:
The Hall of Fame Stanford coach pledged $10 for every 3-pointer made in the NCAA women's tournament toward humanitarian efforts in Ukraine, and she challenged anyone else who could give to do so -- even just a dime per 3 if possible.

Veteran Georgia Tech coach Nell Fortner, whose team is playing its first-round NCAA game against Kansas at Stanford on Friday, immediately joined VanDerveer's fundraising efforts. She was an assistant coach on that U.S. team.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33530158/stanford-tara-vanderveer-pledges-ukraine-humanitarian-relief-3-pointer-made-ncaa-women-basketball-tournament

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.

Last edited by Ex-Ref on 03/23/22 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/18/22 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Through 14 of tonight's 16 games, I counted 200 made threes!!!! An average of about 14/game. If that pace keeps up through Championship game, that would be 882 made three point shots!

I hope the players keep making lots of them!!!!! It makes me crazy when she says it, but where's Debbie Antonelli with "shoot til your arm falls off?"

It would be nice if the NCAA would match (or triple, or quadruple, or throw a couple of zeros on the back end of) whatever the amount Tara and Nell contribute.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/18/22 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Through 14 of tonight's 16 games, I counted 200 made threes!!!! An average of about 14/game. If that pace keeps up through Championship game, that would be 882 made three point shots!

I hope the players keep making lots of them!!!!! It makes me crazy when she says it, but where's Debbie Antonelli with "shoot til your arm falls off?"

It would be nice if the NCAA would match (or triple, or quadruple, or throw a couple of zeros on the back end of) whatever the amount Tara and Nell contribute.

Debbie Antonelli is broadcasting some of the men's games, and my ears are bleeding.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/19/22 4:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think that it's up to 227 now.

(Math late at night or this early in the morning, not good. 🤣)

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/19/22 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A lot fewer 3's today. Like 75 fewer!!!!! I'm thinking that yesterday was just a crazy amount of 3's made.

Through 14 of 16 games, I've counted "only" 151 3's today.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/19/22 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Debbie Antonelli is broadcasting some of the men's games, and my ears are bleeding.

Totally understand that!

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/20/22 8:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I forgot about the First 4 games.

So after 36 games I've come up with 441 made 3's.

Target is now 820 threes. Over $16,000!!!!

snzuluz

PostPosted: 03/20/22 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Every little bit helps in the fight against a war criminal like Putin, but with the LARGE salaries these coaches and others make, $10 does not seem like a very big sacrifice for them...interesting that other coaches (male, female, assistant etc.) have not joined in.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/20/22 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snzuluz wrote:
Every little bit helps in the fight against a war criminal like Putin, but with the LARGE salaries these coaches and others make, $10 does not seem like a very big sacrifice for them...interesting that other coaches (male, female, assistant etc.) have not joined in.

$10 per three for the entire duration of the tournament- not Stanford threes or threes in that subregional- mounts up. The first half of Creighton-Iowa, for example, might be an outlier, but there are already 11 made threes in that game.

(now with spelling variations)
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/23/22 8:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So some others are stepping up, some in slightly different ways.

Quote:
UConn star Paige Bueckers had promised to donate 10,000 dimes, which translates to $1,000, for every “dime” she drops in March Madness, promising the money to Youthprise, a Minnesota organization that works with Indigenous, low-income and racially diverse youth. (So far, Bueckers has handed out seven assists.)

Quote:
Staley said she’d be happy to — but she wants to make sure everyone remembers issues in our own backyards, too. She proposed coaches donate $1 for every tournament rebound and put the funds toward inner city youth. (In 2013 Staley co-founded InnerSole, a non-profit that gifts new sneakers to homeless youth.)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/2022/03/22/ncaa-tournament-stanford-tara-vanderveer-coaches-help-ukraine/7124073001/

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/26/22 6:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

682 made three point shots (I think) through Friday night games.

Target now is about 815 for the tourney (I think).

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/26/22 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

720, I think.

Seven games left to play. 804 is new target. Fewer threes as the tourney has progressed. Better defense??

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/03/22 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

VERY unofficial, but I've come up with 781 threes made, so $7.810 each from Tara and Nell.

And 17 assists for Bueckers, so $17.000 for her.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: