RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNIT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/13/22 8:27 pm    ::: WNIT Reply Reply with quote

No bracket or game days/times announced until tomorrow though Sad. I don't like waiting and thought I'd know tonight who Marquette was playing and when but nothing I can do about that.

Here are the WNIT teams:

https://womensnit.com/news/2022/3/13/general-2022-postseason-wnit-field-announced.aspx

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/13/22 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some of the at-large bids are a joke. I don’t know what “other criteria” they considered, unless one of them is money, but Vandy? REALLY????

PostPosted: 03/13/22 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought they didn't take teams under .500 but here we are.

Intrigued that the Big Ten and the SWAC appear to have declined their autobids.

PostPosted: 03/13/22 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

Yeah they didn't use to take teams with overall records under .500. I think they had an exception for that if you were the conference automatic qualifier. But I see at-large bids teams that are sub .500.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/13/22 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

The Big Ten school would have been Northwestern, which finished a half-game above Michigan State in the final standings, so was the highest finishing team to not make the NCAAs. Interesting, though, that MSU must also have turned down an invite, as Purdue is the highest finishing B11 team in the field.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/13/22 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Queenie wrote:

The Big Ten school would have been Northwestern, which finished a half-game above Michigan State in the final standings, so was the highest finishing team to not make the NCAAs. Interesting, though, that MSU must also have turned down an invite, as Purdue is the highest finishing B11 team in the field.

MSU might have been invited as an at-large and turned it down. But I think that once the team that is supposed to be the automatic qualifier turns down the bid, the conference no longer gets an automatic bid into the WNIT.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/14/22 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Queenie wrote:

MSU might have been invited as an at-large and turned it down. But I think that once the team that is supposed to be the automatic qualifier turns down the bid, the conference no longer gets an automatic bid into the WNIT.

Northwestern was in the WNIT a few years back. JMU is still smarting from that loss in the semis. This was a hard-luck year for JMU, between injuries and what the CAA did to them, so there is no post-season for them. Wait till next year....and the Sun Belt!

PostPosted: 03/14/22 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/primetimeMitch/status/1503184035727691779

Kara Lawson & Duke also reportedly turned down a WNIT bid.

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 03/14/22 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

Holding out for a WBI bid?

PostPosted: 03/14/22 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the Her Hoops Stats podcast episode recapping the NCAA tournament, one of the guest hosts said he interviewed a few Duke players (I believe Day-Wilson and Taylor) after their loss to Miami. He asked if they would miss the outgoing seniors next year and if they would accept a WNIT bid. He said that the players sort of gave lukewarm responses to both questions and implied that there has perhaps been some disharmony brewing amongst the players that we may not know about. Let's just say I'm not surprised they didn't accept the WNIT bid after listening to that podcast last week.

PostPosted: 03/14/22 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

Duke was 4-9 in it's last 13 games and the only wins were over Pittsburgh 11-19, (won twice). Clemson 10-21 and Wake Forest 15-16. Plus they barely beat those teams, wins by 3 points twice and 5 points in one of the other games.

The team that started 8-0 was a shell of its self to finish the way they did.

Not the team that should be going on to a post season tournament, IMO

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/14/22 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Duke was 4-9 in it's last 13 games and the only wins were over Pittsburgh 11-19, (won twice). Clemson 10-21 and Wake Forest 15-16. Plus they barely beat those teams, wins by 3 points twice and 5 points in one of the other games.

Not the team that should be going on to a post season tournament,
IMO

This 40 year fan of Duke Women's Basketball agrees. The team imploded for whatever reason.

~rAf
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/14/22 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
IM in OC wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Not the team that should be going on to a post season tournament,
IMO

This 40 year fan of Duke Women's Basketball agrees. The team imploded for whatever reason.

Possibly for the same reason Mississippi State kinda did. There's a cowbird egg in the nest somewhere. We may find out when someone hits the transfer portal.

PostPosted: 03/14/22 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Some of the at-large bids are a joke. I don’t know what “other criteria” they considered, unless one of them is money, but Vandy? REALLY????

I can't imagine caring that much about who gets in the WNIT when teams actually turn it down. Like, why do you even care who is in the field or what record they have? These are kids who didn't have seasons go the they wanted and they get to play some more games. This is a strange post.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/14/22 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The transfer portal came into play with West Virginia turning down a WNIT bid:

https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/1503469855810412550

Durantula

PostPosted: 03/14/22 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I can't imagine caring that much about who gets in the WNIT when teams actually turn it down. Like, why do you even care who is in the field or what record they have? These are kids who didn't have seasons go the they wanted and they get to play some more games. This is a strange post.

Thinking about the other side, why are people giving Duke so much crap for not playing? Just like some kids want to play more games, maybe some are done and don't want to play. It could be injuries or transfers but I saw Duke taking a lot of heat on social media. The NIT has a lot of games based on geography so I'm sure Duke playing Old Dominion or whomever would really make a difference as they go into next year.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/14/22 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
ucbart wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Thinking about the other side, why are people giving Duke so much crap for not playing? Just like some kids want to play more games, maybe some are done and don't want to play. It could be injuries or transfers but I saw Duke taking a lot of heat on social media. The NIT has a lot of games based on geography so I'm sure Duke playing Old Dominion or whomever would really make a difference as they go into next year.

Agree with you Durantula. On social media people can be quick to pile on about such things because it's easy to do and feels like a "gotcha!" moment. But in reality there are a lot of behind the scenes factors that we have no way to be aware of.

PostPosted: 03/15/22 5:43 am    ::: Re: WNIT Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
No bracket or game days/times announced until tomorrow though Sad. I don't like waiting and thought I'd know tonight who Marquette was playing and when but nothing I can do about that.

Here are the WNIT teams:

https://womensnit.com/news/2022/3/13/general-2022-postseason-wnit-field-announced.aspx

Looks like Northwestern and Michigan State passed on it. I hope the players got to decide not the coach. But the athletic department may have authority as well due to having to foot the bill.

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/15/22 7:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Durantula wrote:
ucbart wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Agree with you Durantula. On social media people can be quick to pile on about such things because it's easy to do and feels like a "gotcha!" moment. But in reality there are a lot of behind the scenes factors that we have no way to be aware of.

Agree-know about .01% of what goes on with programs behind the scenes as fans. I get why veteran teams who had disappointing seasons don't want to play. Especially ones like Duke, who seem to have just "thrown" a roster together to field a team after a coaching change and a season cancelled due to Covid.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/15/22 8:01 am    ::: Re: WNIT Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

Here are the WNIT teams:

Looks like Northwestern and Michigan State passed on it. I hope the players got to decide not the coach. But the athletic department may have authority as well due to having to foot the bill.

The Spartans were heavily injured and short-staffed all year. I can’t imagine them trying to push through a post-season, especially with risking Clouden who’s going into the draft. It’s not the first time they’ve declined the WNIT, either.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/15/22 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Well, Mr. UConn, if you are a mid-major fan like I am, you would care. But YOU can't be bothered, and I don't care what you think. However, JMU, in years past, has played in the WNIT with a winning record and made it to the semifinals a couple of times. Mid-majors DO care because for a lot of them, this is their time to shine. Having a team like Vandy, with its losing record and lackluster season in there kind of diminishes things. So that's why. Take your UConn snobbery elsewhere.

PostPosted: 03/15/22 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vanderbilt had a net of 77 and a SOS of 17, both of which are very solid. These metrics go into the WNIT selection process just like the NCAA tournament. Just a little insight for those curious about their selection.

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/15/22 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
ucbart wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Well, Mr. UConn, if you are a mid-major fan like I am, you would care. But YOU can't be bothered, and I don't care what you think. However, JMU, in years past, has played in the WNIT with a winning record and made it to the semifinals a couple of times. Mid-majors DO care because for a lot of them, this is their time to shine. Having a team like Vandy, with its losing record and lackluster season in there kind of diminishes things. So that's why. Take your UConn snobbery elsewhere.

LOLOLLOLOLOLOLLLLLL!!!!!!

I'm not going to get in to some conflict cycle with you, but go off!

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/15/22 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

Duke sure has spent a lot of time choosing not to play games sine Lawson got to campus.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 03/15/22 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is nothing on the WNIT website about viewing the games on tv or live stream. So I checked some teams sites and it appears some are showing the games on the same source that was used for regular season games. Boston College on the ACCN, UCLA on Pac 12 live stream, Purdue on the B1G10 network, and New Mexico on the Mountain West Network. I am guessing others will be on similar.
At least they are not using the horrible pay streaming service that was in the past.
Final game will be on CBSSN, on April 2nd

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: