RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Brittney Griner Arrested in Russia
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 03/05/22 8:53 am    ::: Brittney Griner Arrested in Russia Reply Reply with quote

WNBA All-star and Olympic champion Brittney Griner was arrested in Russia on drug smuggling charges after she was found with vape cartridges in her carry-on luggage at a Moscow airport, according to Russian news sources.

Russia’s Interfax news agency said a female US basketball player was arrested in February, at Sheremetyevo Airport in Moscow after arriving on a flight from New York.

A drug sniffing dog indicated narcotics in luggage, and when the bag was X-rayed, “so-called ‘vapes'” were discovered “with a specific order,” according to Interfax, which cited the Russian Federal Customs Service.

“The expert found that the liquid is a narcotic drug cannabis oil (hashish oil),” Interax said.

The independent Russian news website identified the player as Griner.

https://nypost.com/2022/03/05/all-star-brittney-griner-arrested-in-russia-on-drug-charges/amp/

PostPosted: 03/05/22 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Holy shit. I hope she is okay. This is very scary.

Man, I don't know what to say. I hope any players still in Russia get out safely.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 03/05/22 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She was arrested entering Russia on February 5th? Fuck. This sucks. We have to make it viable for our players to play here full time.

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 03/05/22 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
She was arrested entering Russia on February 5th? Fuck. This sucks. We have to make it viable for our players to play here full time.

Agreed! Wow, this is crazy! I hope she's ok.

jmvcity

PostPosted: 03/05/22 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

5 to 10 years in prison? Wow

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/05/22 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, Russia let's coaches dope 15 year old figure skaters so they win gold medals, but doesn't allow vape pens. Got it.

She needs to GTFO that country and never go back. Why would BG even chance that?

IM in OC

PostPosted: 03/05/22 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No date stamp on this video from the airport

https://twitter.com/ElPerimetro_es/status/1500114499386458116

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/05/22 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

God damn, I hope we can get her home safely.

PostPosted: 03/05/22 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/05/sports/basketball/russia-brittney-griner.html

NY Times

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 03/05/22 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
So, Russia let's coaches dope 15 year old figure skaters so they win gold medals, but doesn't allow vape pens. Got it.

She needs to GTFO that country and never go back. Why would BG even chance that?

They dope a hell of a lot more athletes than just 15-year-old figure skaters.

And one has to wonder why the hell she didn't stay the hell out of Russia at this point in time.
jmpenn90

PostPosted: 03/05/22 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So has she been in a Russian jail since Feb 5? That’s awful. Will the US be able to get her home if that was in fact a law in Russia?

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 03/05/22 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Basketball player Brittney Griner reportedly detained in Russia; WNBA, representatives working 'to get her home'

https://es.pn/3MqmZ3z

Quote:
"We are aware of the situation with Brittney Griner in Russia and are in close contact with her, her legal representation in Russia, her family, her teams, and the WNBA and NBA," Lindsay Kagawa Colas, Griner's agent with Wasserman Group, told ESPN via statement Saturday. "As this is an ongoing legal matter, we are not able to comment further on the specifics of her case but can confirm that as we work to get her home, her mental and physical health remain our primary concern."

Quote:
"Brittney Griner has the WNBA's full support and our main priority is her swift and safe return to the United States," the league said in a statement to ESPN.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/05/22 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

Quote:
Griner has made as much as $1.5 million a year in Russia, while she had a base salary of $215,000 last season for the Mercury.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/wnba/2022/03/05/brittney-griner-arrested-russia-drug-charges/9389748002/

Why has it taken a month for this news to get back to the American public? This apparently happened a couple of days after the Olympics began. Hardly a coincidence.

Yes, she should have known better than to do something like that. But I also wouldn't put anything past Putin having a sham arrest of a USA bball star.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 03/05/22 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Quote:
Griner has made as much as $1.5 million a year in Russia, while she had a base salary of $215,000 last season for the Mercury.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/wnba/2022/03/05/brittney-griner-arrested-russia-drug-charges/9389748002/

Why has it taken a month for this news to get back to the American public? This apparently happened a couple of days after the Olympics began. Hardly a coincidence.

Yes, she should have known better than to do something like that. But I also wouldn't put anything past Putin having a sham arrest of a USA bball star.

The radio silence on this is concerning.

Does the owner of UMMC have any pull to get her out?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/05/22 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Feb 5 date was her last Instagram post, not anything specific about when the arrest happened. All we seem to have on when it happened at this point is 'February', and Angel McCoughtry posting a reply somewhere that Griner's been there for three weeks.

PostPosted: 03/05/22 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
The Feb 5 date was her last Instagram post, not anything specific about when the arrest happened. All we seem to have on when it happened at this point is 'February', and Angel McCoughtry posting a reply somewhere that Griner's been there for three weeks.

Three weeks, a month, really doesn't make any difference.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
scullyfu

PostPosted: 03/05/22 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While I’ve seen the statement released by the League on tv., it.is nowhere to be found on the WNBA.com site. Strange.

PostPosted: 03/05/22 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
ucbart wrote:

And one has to wonder why the hell she didn't stay the hell out of Russia at this point in time.

You know why the heck was she there was my first thought but consider her perspective.

She has spent how much time basically living in Russia half the year?

And the danger isn't from the people she has been around - they are likely surprised by everything that has happened from the action to the reaction.

Im not sure I would make the same decision in her shoes (okay I wouldn't given my level of risk aversion) but I can see how having lived there off and on for many years could influence a different decision.

Would certainly give me pause going forward playing in any country where that worst case risk is really, really bad.

PostPosted: 03/05/22 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Griner makes bad choices sometimes. This was a big one. Crying or Very sad She certainly doesn't deserve prison in Russia for it. Kick her out if you think she's so bad.

PostPosted: 03/05/22 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TigerVol wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:
ucbart wrote:

You know why the heck was she there was my first thought but consider her perspective.

She has spent how much time basically living in Russia half the year?

And the danger isn't from the people she has been around - they are likely surprised by everything that has happened from the action to the reaction.

Im not sure I would make the same decision in her shoes (okay I wouldn't given my level of risk aversion) but I can see how having lived there off and on for many years could influence a different decision.

Would certainly give me pause going forward playing in any country where that worst case risk is really, really bad.

She's been detained for 3 weeks so that would put her traveling into Russia around either the 2nd week of February or early in the 3rd week. Her team's game was scheduled for February 20th, so she was traveling over there for work. Like she always does.

Considering that Jonquel returned late last week/ early this week, I would assume that she was told that she still had to play until further notice. Who knows what their contract says about things like this. Many people forget that the players are in these countries for WORK and not VACATION, so they have rules etc etc.

PostPosted: 03/05/22 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so sad Crying or Very sad I worry especially for her mental health. I wonder if she even realized it was illegal.

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 03/05/22 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I sure as hell am not taking Russia at its word that Griner was carrying illegal drugs while entering the country.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 03/05/22 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hopefully BG can get out safely. I hope she is doing well physically and mentally.

Another reason, no WNBA players should be going back to Russia at all next season (or in the future)

PostPosted: 03/05/22 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SHIT. Shocked The US embassy in Moscow has been evacuated. Who can help her locally?

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/05/22 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
SHIT. Shocked The US embassy in Moscow has been evacuated. Who can help her locally?

You would think her Ekat team would be doing something.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 1 of 33

Jump to: