RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

March Madness Illustrated:
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howee

PostPosted: 03/04/22 2:18 pm    ::: March Madness Illustrated: Reply Reply with quote

As the conference tournaments play out, I see lots of *madness* playing out. Okay, maybe that's a bit hyperbolic, but there are some doozies popping up.

Examples: Colorado takes Arizona down tonight, and Alabama beats Georgia.
And a bunch of disparate seeds ended up in VERY close games, some in OT. Nobody wants to end their season now, especially as low seeds who are otherwise done: Wake Forest loses to ranked GA tech by single digits, lowly Vandy loses by a single point to ranked Florida, Long Island is down by 14 after 3 quarters, and storms back to beat Bryant by 1, Big South leader Campbell needs OT to beat Presby by 3, and Utah is up by 20 over Wazzou at the half as I write this. Shocked

Today (3/4) VA Tech defeats UNC by 87-80 in OT.

PostPosted: 03/04/22 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Closest thing to an *upset* today (so far): Indiana takes Maryland down. (Does it qualify even if you've already beaten a team once in the season??)

PostPosted: 03/05/22 12:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Closest thing to an *upset* today (so far): Indiana takes Maryland down. (Does it qualify even if you've already beaten a team once in the season??)

It counts! Huge win for IU to show they are still a competitive with post-injury Holmes.

Other upsets today:

Miami takes down Louisville
Kentucky takes down LSU
Nebraska takes down Michigan
Virginia Tech takes down UNC
St. Joseph's takes down Rhode Island

PostPosted: 03/05/22 1:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Louisville, LSU, Michigan, and North Carolina said hold my beer Laughing Laughing Laughing

LitePal

PostPosted: 03/05/22 1:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There was just another one in Vegas.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/05/22 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Howee wrote:

It counts! Huge win for IU to show they are still a competitive with post-injury Holmes.

Yeah, IN amazes me with their gritty guts.

Now, Oregon's gone down to Utah. And they DID beat Utah 2x. Tough to take a good team down 3x, I s'pose.

I didn't get to see the game, but it looked like a heckuva roller coaster ride, from the box score. OR scores a mere 8 pts in Q3, but 28 in Q4. Razz

PostPosted: 03/05/22 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oregon vs Utah was a fun game to watch. I thought it would be an Oregon blowout after the first quarter, but Utah stuck with it and wore down Oregon's bigger and slower team with boundless energy and deadly shooting. They drew a lot of fouls driving to the basket and got Sabally to foul out, and Prince was mostly on the bench at the end too, I guess for matchup reasons.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/05/22 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CompSci87 wrote:
Oregon vs Utah was a fun game to watch.

I certainy wish I could have watched. Maybe you can fill me in on some things?

I'm thinking they played mostly man defense. I never see Kelly switch up defenses too much. Nyarra and Prince both had decent stat lines, and Oregon only gave up 8 TOs.

Was OR out of sorts when UT started their rallies? I don't see Oregon rallying too much when they get pressured by opponents' runs. But they did score 28 in the final Quarter.

PostPosted: 03/05/22 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JMU said hold my beer on their CAA exit game. Since they aren't allowed to play in the conference tournament, they took their annoyance out on second place (by a whisker) Delaware, 78-62. Delaware never led after their second basket. It was a nasty, physical game at the AUBC on JMU's Senior Day, and the Dukes were determined not to leave the CAA with a loss, or let their seniors go out on a losing note. Nope, not gonna happen. And with a raucous crowd on hand, it didn't.

There will likely be no post-season games for this hard-luck team, which suffered from injuries and the loss of key players, but at least they can go out with the satisfaction of having beaten arch rival Elon twice and exiting on a winning note.

PostPosted: 03/05/22 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CompSci87 wrote:
Oregon vs Utah was a fun game to watch. I thought it would be an Oregon blowout after the first quarter, but Utah stuck with it and wore down Oregon's bigger and slower team with boundless energy and deadly shooting. They drew a lot of fouls driving to the basket and got Sabally to foul out, and Prince was mostly on the bench at the end too, I guess for matchup reasons.

concerning to me was Sabally limping toward the end of the game.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/05/22 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Random question: Do 9 technical fouls seem like a lot for the first 12 games (4 rounds) of the SEC tournament? It's apparently a topic of discussion on SECN tomorrow.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/05/22 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Random question: Do 9 technical fouls seem like a lot for the first 12 games (4 rounds) of the SEC tournament? It's apparently a topic of discussion on SECN tomorrow.

not when you look at who got them and how. For instance, I thought they could easily have thrown Mulkey out instead of just the one tech.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/05/22 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
CompSci87 wrote:

concerning to me was Sabally limping toward the end of the game.

every time she so much as stubs a toe I sharply inhale and hold my breath...

CompSci87 wrote:

I had a similar experience of this game. I watched a few minutes in the beginning and Oregon seemed locked in. I think did other things before checking the score in the second half to find Utah making a push! From there I watched the game to the end. Very exciting.

PostPosted: 03/06/22 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just discovered that L'ville went down to Miami on Friday. Shocked

PostPosted: 03/06/22 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
I just discovered that L'ville went down to Miami on Friday. Shocked

Can I join whatever rock you were living under? It seems very nice and with a lack of news. I can do with that.

In any case, congrats to Mercer and NC State for punching their tickets!

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/06/22 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think South Carolina had the biggest beer yet!

Howee

PostPosted: 03/06/22 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
I think South Carolina had the biggest beer yet!

Laughing Dang! I did NOT see this one comin'....that obliterates my Tipping Game predictions.

PostPosted: 03/06/22 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
CompSci87 wrote:
Oregon vs Utah was a fun game to watch.

I certainy wish I could have watched. Maybe you can fill me in on some things?

I'm thinking they played mostly man defense. I never see Kelly switch up defenses too much. Nyarra and Prince both had decent stat lines, and Oregon only gave up 8 TOs.

Was OR out of sorts when UT started their rallies? I don't see Oregon rallying too much when they get pressured by opponents' runs. But they did score 28 in the final Quarter.

I wasn't watching the defensive style closely, but I think I saw both zone and man from Oregon at times.

Sabally got banged up, and that seemed to hurt her mobility.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/07/22 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mid-major weirdness:

Longwood beat Campbell for the Big South championship, but the score is what's notable, 86-47. (Their men's team also won the conference title, first time ever.)

UMass beat Dayton in the A10 Championship game, 62-56, ruining my bracket along with Kentucky.

Both of these are one-bid conferences and both teams will likely be one-and-done, but good for them anyway.

PostPosted: 03/08/22 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another one: #15 BYU goes down to Gonzaga in the tourney final. Glad both will definitely make it to the NCAAT.

PostPosted: 03/10/22 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Recovering from surgery yesterday afternoon/evening, I piled up on the couch and watched a whole lot of mid-major quarter-finals and semis. There were some pretty good games in there scattered among the blowouts. It was kind of interesting to see teams I otherwise never see, like those from the Big West and the WAC. I rarely see the ASUN or A10 either.

ASUN will have FGCU and Kierstan Bell facing off against Jacksonville State, which beat Liberty, 59-57. Liberty (ugh) is mostly Bridgette Rettstatt.

My favorite game was the last one, my adopted team, Montana State facing Idaho. That was mainly a long-range bombing mission with both teams furiously launching 3-pointers all game. The Bobcats trailed much of the game but the Vandals faded in the 4th and couldn't make a shot from anywhere, including the line. Montana State faces Northern Arizona, which defeated Northern Colorado 72-67, in the finals. MSU should prevail, but who knows in this crazy atmosphere?

Last edited by summertime blues on 03/10/22 3:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
taropatch

PostPosted: 03/10/22 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Regular season champ, top seeded Hawaii hung on by their finger nails 48-47 over 9th seed (Big West) UC-Bakersfield. A reminder that anyone can suck at any time especially iin this conference. If Hawaii does not prevail in the BW Tourney, does the committee award two slots for the BW? Maybe so with the expanded field this year.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/10/22 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wasn't going to comment on the CAA at all, being uncommonly PO'd at them, but this is kinda funny. Hofstra beat UNCW, 46-45. giving UNCW a perfect losing record for the year. The next UNCW coach will have a very low bar.

PostPosted: 03/10/22 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bryant is homewrecking their way through the NEC tournament, having knocked out #2 St. Francis Brooklyn and #1 Fairleigh Dickinson, and I hate every second of it, thanks for asking.

PostPosted: 03/11/22 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Last night's AAC championship game between UCF and USF was one between two teams that clearly do not like each other. The commentators referred to it several times as "the battle of I-4" and indeed there were times it looked more like a rugby match than a basketball game. UCF, my granddaughter's dad's alma mater, pulled it out in the 4th, 53-45. Both teams will most likely make it to the dance. USF's Jose Fernandez reputedly has said he actually prefers a slightly lower seed, as it gives his team more chance to be a spoiler.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: