RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

W Athletes in Ukraine and Russia
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 03/05/22 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:

Did Griner leave Ekat? I know she hasnt played a game since 1/29/22. Wasnt sure if she left, injured, or what.

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=100965

Apparently, BG was arrested entering Russia on Feb 5 for having cannibus vapes in her carry in bag. Shocking that we are just now learning of this.

awhom111

PostPosted: 03/06/22 12:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hind Ben Abdelkader suited up for Nika again, this time against Papova and Ekaterinburg. UMMC signed three more Russians for their team, including Ksenia Tikhonenko, who presumably felt less welcome playing in Poland.

It remains to be seen how many foreign men play in the United League with a round starting Sunday, but a number of foreigners, including Americans, suited up for second division games, including two for the men's team from Yekaterinburg.
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 03/06/22 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With the present conditions in Russia, pro basketball players should ponder whether they should play in that country moving forward. Yes, the money that can be made in Russia is outstanding. But that money can not be spent if you step into the middle of a live war with bullets and bombs flying everywhere. That money can not be spent if you are sitting in jail because of your unfamiliarity with the country's laws.
Freedom and peace of mind are priceless.

PostPosted: 03/06/22 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All the teams played over the weekend so we should have a clear picture of where teams are now. I am always annoyed by reporting in these situations as if only the WNBA players matter. Unique Thompson played for Spartak Moscow today so she is still there. Paris Kea was not listed in their squad. All the foreigners were not involved for Dynamo Kursk or Dynamo Moscow. Kyara Linskens played for Nadezhda Orenburg, but it was reported that their other foreigners left. Laura Zelnyte played for Enisey Krasnoyarsk again.

Several foreign men, including Americans played in the United League today. Given the Griner situation, if I was O.J. Mayo, I would be getting out by any possible means.

Also a brief Belarus update as Rachel Theriot has not played recently for Tsmoki. Adrienne Webb and Irene Vrancic did play today though.
ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 03/06/22 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

International banks suspending service in Russia. It makes me wonder if foreign players will get paid for the games they've already played this year?

sportsfan48

PostPosted: 03/07/22 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
For reference, here are players not born Russian who either played their team's last game or recently and are either still in Russia or were still there not long ago:
Dynamo Kursk: Natasha Howard, Eva Lisec, Arike Ogunbowale, Epiphanny Prince
Dynamo Moscow: Khaalia Hillsman, Tiana Mangakahia
Dynamo Novosibirsk: Kayla Alexander, Chloe Wells
Ekaterinburg: Alex Bentley, Jonquel Jones, Emma Messeman, Maryia Papova, Allie Quigley, Alba Torrens, Courtney Vandersloot:
Enisey Krasnoyarsk: Julie Vanloo, Laura Zelnyte
Nadezhda Orenburg: Adaora Elonu, Markeisha Gatling, Natisha Hiedeman, Kyara Linskens
Nika Syktyvkar: Hind Ben Abdelkader, Tyasha Harris, Azura Stevens
Samara: Trinity Baptiste, Saicha Grant-Allen, Jennifer O'Neill
Spartak Moscow: Paris Kea, Unique Thompson

I find it interesting that none of the articles or statements have mentioned the US players still in Russia or Ukraine. I wonder if that was intentional trying to protect the players that are there. The only name mentioned was an agent in America. Of course the only Olympic player listed above is not an American or an Armerican Gold metalist. So it may be they are all safe.

awhom111

PostPosted: 03/08/22 12:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How FIFA handles player registrations held by Russian clubs is likely to be instructive for basketball and other sports. Several men have been reported as having buyouts paid to their Russian teams to get them to other teams for the rest of the season.

More foreign men played in the United League today, including a bunch for Lokomotiv Kuban Krasnodar, most famously including C.J. McCollum's older brother Errick.
WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 03/09/22 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ummm.... Yikes Confused

"Russian teams are trying to lure their American players under contract back to the country with the promise of bonuses in many cases..."

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1501673318843224065?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1501673318843224065%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/09/22 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
Ummm.... Yikes Confused

"Russian teams are trying to lure their American players under contract back to the country with the promise of bonuses in many cases..."

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1501673318843224065?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1501673318843224065%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

That's not a bad thing.
Hopefully the players can collectively respond that they're not going to even think about coming over until the BG situation is resolved to their satisfaction. Might be some extra leverage to make that happen.
Then if it does, they can still say hell no.

PostPosted: 03/09/22 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:
Ummm.... Yikes Confused

That's not a bad thing.
Hopefully the players can collectively respond that they're not going to even think about coming over until the BG situation is resolved to their satisfaction. Might be some extra leverage to make that happen.

X___

pilight

PostPosted: 03/09/22 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I doubt many, if any, American players will be going to Russia while this situation continues

PostPosted: 03/09/22 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:
Ummm.... Yikes Confused

That's not a bad thing.

I wonder what would happen to the reputation of any player who did give in to the siren call of the almighty unit of currency. I can imagine unions and union members considering it akin to being a scab, and that would not bode well for one’s future employment prospects.

PostPosted: 03/10/22 1:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if there is much coverage in Canada about hockey players who have not left the KHL.

It seems like the remaining American men are more likely to leave their teams than the players who were allowed to return home under contract are likely to return. Zenit did sign one of the Americans who was playing in the second division after letting their original foreign players temporarily leave.

Hind Ben Abdelkader and Laura Zelnyte continued to suit up for their teams.

Kayla Alexander found a new spot with Lyon after leaving Dynamo Novosibirsk.

Prometey's men's team ended up dropping out of the FIBA Champions League.
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 03/10/22 3:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I wonder what would happen to the reputation of any player who did give in to the siren call of the almighty unit of currency. I can imagine unions and union members considering it akin to being a scab, and that would not bode well for one’s future employment prospects.

Right on the mark.

PostPosted: 03/10/22 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I doubt many, if any, American players will be going to Russia while this situation continues

I doubt any American player will be going to Russia as long as this current regime (Putin or his Flunkies) are in power.

awhom111

PostPosted: 03/13/22 1:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:
Ummm.... Yikes Confused

That's not a bad thing.

Fan reaction from other countries has not been good towards Casper Ware, especially since he signed for the team that is traditionally the army's team. He was already in Russia and just signed for CSKA from Enisey.
awhom111

PostPosted: 03/13/22 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Eva Lisec suited up again for Dynamo Kursk. It is unclear whether she left at any point or just missed a game for other reasons. Kyara Linskens played her game, but Hind Ben Abdelkader did not.

Ekaterinburg lost to MBA despite actually bringing in another player as Albina Razheva returned to the country from Hungary.
awhom111

PostPosted: 03/14/22 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ever since the Marc Stein reporting, I have been wondering which foreign players under contract would actually return, but now we have some.

Zenit did a terrible troll job on social media, announcing that five players had returned from a short vacation. Those players are Mateusz Ponitka, Jordan Loyd, Billy Baron, Tyson Carter, and Alex Poythress. Putin is from St. Petersburg and Zenit is his club. For those familiar with men's soccer, Zenit is the one that had a club policy against signing black players. Obviously that policy has not extended to basketball as apparently being competitive is more important than perpetuating racism. Of course even with the policy, they definitely signed multiracial players and tried to claim that they were completely white kind of like some MLB teams did in the segregation era.
awhom111

PostPosted: 03/15/22 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unique Thompson said that she was leaving shortly after Spartak Moscow's last game and she did not play today so that seems to be the case.

Jarrell Brantley made his G League debut after unilaterally leaving UNICS Kazan. They threatened to take him to arbitration, but presumably that has been resolved if he can play in the G League.
awhom111

PostPosted: 03/16/22 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A couple of Ukrainians who had been playing for Prometey have found new teams as Antalya in Turkey signed Olga Dubrovina and Tetiana Yurkevichus in an effort to avoid relegation.
awhom111

PostPosted: 03/17/22 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hind Ben Abdelkader did play for Nika so she must have missed the last game for other reasons.
awhom111

PostPosted: 03/18/22 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jennifer O'Neill had signed with Sampaio in Brazil with the intention of joining after the conclusion of the Russian season. Since she was available early, she started playing with them today.
awhom111

PostPosted: 03/20/22 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All of the teams in Russia played over the weekend and we had Eva Lisec, Kyara Linskens, and Hind Ben Abdelkader suit up again. Ekaterinburg brought in another player from Belarus, going with Masha Adashchyk who finished her college career at Minnesota this time. She joins two other players from Belarus in the league right now.

Updating a few players who were playing in Ukraine, but found other teams, Taeler Deer is playing for Kouvot in Finland. Akilah Bethel joined Urla and Kelley Cain signed with Edremit, which are both in Turkey's second division.
awhom111

PostPosted: 03/29/22 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laura Zelnyte moved to Milano in Italy's second division.

Both Linskens and Ben Abdelkader suited up in their teams' playoff openers, but Eva Lisec did not.
awhom111

PostPosted: 04/03/22 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Eva Lisec did play the second game of her series to join the two Belgians and three Belarusians.

There continue to be players from other countries playing in the men's league in Russia. Their top teams are in a league that currently has one team from Belarus and one from Kazakhstan after the teams from other countries withdrew. Astana Tigers, the Kazakh team, did not have their American players travel with them to their most recent road game in Russia, but they did play in the next game at home.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: