RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

W Athletes in Ukraine and Russia
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 02/27/22 5:47 pm    ::: W Athletes in Ukraine and Russia Reply Reply with quote

US embassy warns Americans in Russia should consider leaving "immediately"

https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/ukraine-russia-news-02-27-22/h_2b0d72fbc883369631a53c1571890a3c?adobe_mc=TS%3D1646001546%7CMCMID%3D53319828796312964557674670435938970313%7CMCAID%3D2DFC4D8D0507D226-60000122E000B878%7CMCORGID%3D7FF852E2556756057F000101%40AdobeOrg&iid=cnn-mobile-app

Obviously there are more important things right now but I do have to wonder if we will see any players exot Russia. I read in the Players Overseas thread that most, if not all, players are no longer in Ukraine.

With this action by Russia and the relationship between a lot of Russian clubs and oligarchs, could we see a shift in the dynamics of star player's in Russia?

Players have been very political, but how will that translate to Russia which is is the biggest source of pay for many players. Would players boycott Russia? Would players still accept offers to sit out the W season at the behest of Russian clubs?

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 02/27/22 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has anyone seen the video footage of Ukraine police officers detaining black Africans from leaving the country?

PostPosted: 02/28/22 8:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Has anyone seen the video footage of Ukraine police officers detaining black Africans from leaving the country?

I found it very disturbing, but unsurprised. Confused

I hope the W players are making their way back home soon

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/28/22 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder when the news of this situation will reach WNBA HQ, and whether they will care to mention the whereabouts/welfare of their players that are or were competing in that region.
Shouldn't be much longer now so I think I can safely hold my breath and wait for an update ...

PostPosted: 02/28/22 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:

I doubt they'd get any better treatment from Russian officials

PostPosted: 02/28/22 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

I doubt they'd get any better treatment from Russian officials

I've seen plenty of tweets from black African students at the border who are being physically restrained from entering Poland. Most refugees are leaving through Poland, and Poland has declined to accept non-Ukrainians, and other nationalities are being turned back at the border. African embassies have abandoned them, and in the meantime, Ukraine has banned any male citizens of military age from leaving.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 02/28/22 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
I wonder when the news of this situation will reach WNBA HQ, and whether they will care to mention the whereabouts/welfare of their players that are or were competing in that region.
Shouldn't be much longer now so I think I can safely hold my breath and wait for an update ...

According to this story in ESPN, players actually don't want identified and their status reported yet, for safety reasons.

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/33388878/several-wnba-players-competing-russia-make-plans-leave-following-invasion-ukraine-agents-say

Quote:
Agents asked that their clients who are in Russia not be identified at this point for safety reasons.

Longtime agent Mike Cound explained to ESPN that he had experience himself with needing to be evacuated from overseas, which came when he was working for the United States government during the Gulf War in the early 1990s. Cound put together a document explaining the current situation for his clients, who also shared it with other players.

"For me, it's way past 'considering' leaving," Cound told ESPN on Sunday. "I've been on the phone with two players in the past few minutes working out flights. It's really urgent now in terms of there being a dwindling number of flights leaving Russia, and they are going to be hard to get real soon. They are probably fine if they stay put, but if things get worse, that may not be the case. My idea is, 'Get them out now if we can.' And if we can't, we get them to hunker down and stay safe."

Also ...

Quote:
The WNBA and players' union released statements last week about being in constant communication with players and agents about the situation.

"The few WNBA players who were competing this off-season in Ukraine are no longer in the country," the WNBA said Thursday. "The league has also been in contact with WNBA players who are in Russia, either directly or through their agents. We will continue to closely monitor the situation."

When asked whether the league was advising players to leave Russia, a WNBA spokesman said the league did not want to expand further on its statement.

BamaEd

PostPosted: 02/28/22 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Saw this article today as well: https://sports.yahoo.com/wnba-players-in-russia-planning-to-leave-as-flights-dwindle-after-ukraine-invasion-151041518.html

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/28/22 11:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

According to this story in ESPN, players actually don't want identified and their status reported yet, for safety reasons.

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/33388878/several-wnba-players-competing-russia-make-plans-leave-following-invasion-ukraine-agents-say

Quote:
Agents asked that their clients who are in Russia not be identified at this point for safety reasons.

Longtime agent Mike Cound explained to ESPN that he had experience himself with needing to be evacuated from overseas, which came when he was working for the United States government during the Gulf War in the early 1990s. Cound put together a document explaining the current situation for his clients, who also shared it with other players.

"For me, it's way past 'considering' leaving," Cound told ESPN on Sunday. "I've been on the phone with two players in the past few minutes working out flights. It's really urgent now in terms of there being a dwindling number of flights leaving Russia, and they are going to be hard to get real soon. They are probably fine if they stay put, but if things get worse, that may not be the case. My idea is, 'Get them out now if we can.' And if we can't, we get them to hunker down and stay safe."

Also ...

Quote:
The WNBA and players' union released statements last week about being in constant communication with players and agents about the situation.

"The few WNBA players who were competing this off-season in Ukraine are no longer in the country," the WNBA said Thursday. "The league has also been in contact with WNBA players who are in Russia, either directly or through their agents. We will continue to closely monitor the situation."

When asked whether the league was advising players to leave Russia, a WNBA spokesman said the league did not want to expand further on its statement.

A timely piece by Mechelle. Thanks PUmatty.

PostPosted: 03/01/22 12:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For reference, here are players not born Russian who either played their team's last game or recently and are either still in Russia or were still there not long ago:
Dynamo Kursk: Natasha Howard, Eva Lisec, Arike Ogunbowale, Epiphanny Prince
Dynamo Moscow: Khaalia Hillsman, Tiana Mangakahia
Dynamo Novosibirsk: Kayla Alexander, Chloe Wells
Ekaterinburg: Alex Bentley, Jonquel Jones, Emma Messeman, Maryia Papova, Allie Quigley, Alba Torrens, Courtney Vandersloot:
Enisey Krasnoyarsk: Julie Vanloo, Laura Zelnyte
Nadezhda Orenburg: Adaora Elonu, Markeisha Gatling, Natisha Hiedeman, Kyara Linskens
Nika Syktyvkar: Hind Ben Abdelkader, Tyasha Harris, Azura Stevens
Samara: Trinity Baptiste, Saicha Grant-Allen, Jennifer O'Neill
Spartak Moscow: Paris Kea, Unique Thompson
Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/01/22 8:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, the 'not being identified' thing was a bit silly, given that we know exactly who's been playing in Russia. FIFA and UEFA have basically kicked out everyone Russian from their soccer tournaments at this point, and the men's EuroLeague/EuroCup have basically done the same thing in basketball. Hopefully that'll prompt FIBA to do something. I can understand players being reluctant to leave until they really felt they had to, given not just the immediate loss of earnings but that teams can withhold their registration and make it difficult for players to sign elsewhere if the player breaks a contract. FIBA needs to make it clear that they wouldn't let Russian teams do that if players are just trying to get out under these circumstances (maybe they've done that, quietly, but if so I haven't heard it).

If the big teams get thrown out of continental competition, maybe they wouldn't want to retain all their imports just to try to win the Russian League anyway. Everyone on all sides might feel it's better to just send everyone home and hope the diplomatic situation has calmed by next season.

I wonder if any enterprising journos in the San Antonio (or Las Vegas) area has tried to get a comment from Becky Hammon on all this...

PostPosted: 03/01/22 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
For reference, here are players not born Russian who either played their team's last game or recently and are either still in Russia or were still there not long ago:
Ekaterinburg: Alex Bentley, Jonquel Jones, Emma Messeman, Maryia Papova, Allie Quigley, Alba Torrens, Courtney Vandersloot:
Nadezhda Orenburg: Adaora Elonu, Markeisha Gatling, Natisha Hiedeman, Kyara Linskens

Did Griner leave Ekat? I know she hasnt played a game since 1/29/22. Wasnt sure if she left, injured, or what.

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 03/01/22 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been wondering about BG too. Looks like Ty Harris and Azura Stevens are headed home. Ty should be in the States today:

https://twitter.com/TyHarris_52/status/1498368538276417538?cxt=HHwWhMCyqeaPo8spAAAA

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/01/22 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Russian teams and officials kicked out of FIBA competitions until further notice: https://www.fiba.basketball/news/fiba-statement-on-russian-teams-and-officials

PostPosted: 03/01/22 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Russian teams and officials kicked out of FIBA competitions until further notice: https://www.fiba.basketball/news/fiba-statement-on-russian-teams-and-officials

Good. Sad for the players, who probably don't support this war - but it needed to be done.

PostPosted: 03/02/22 12:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

Did Griner leave Ekat? I know she hasnt played a game since 1/29/22. Wasnt sure if she left, injured, or what.

Not sure and I have not seen news on it. Kaila Charles is in the same boat with Dynamo Novosibirsk. If it was an injury that would take a little while to heal, it would certainly not be out of the question for a team to let a player get treatment in the United States.

A lot of foreign players for men's clubs in Russia have been allowed to return home, but some of the teams are not releasing those players yet. Games are still scheduled to continue in all competitions for now.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/02/22 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Russian teams officially out of EuroLeague Women, reformatted quarter-finals, and based on social media the exodus of players is in progress. Wonder if any of them get picked up elsewhere. Most of the teams with big budgets would've been expecting that their rosters were finished by now, but you aren't normally handed the possibility to pick up a Jonquel Jones or a Courtney Vandersloot before your playoffs.

PostPosted: 03/02/22 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jonquel Jones made it out of Russia

https://twitter.com/jus242/status/1498990693049643012

awhom111

PostPosted: 03/03/22 12:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maryia Papova was the only foreign player to suit up for Ekaterinburg as their coaches have also left. Julie Vanloo and Laura Zelnyte both played for Enisey.

The UMMC statement about their removal from EuroLeague:
https://basket.ugmk.com/en/press/news/116071/

In the other game, as has been publicized, Ty Harris and Azura Stevens left, but Hind Ben Abdelkader played for Nika.
WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 03/03/22 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sloot and Quigs are heading home:

https://twitter.com/James_M_Kay/status/1499417467818553352

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 03/03/22 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:

Not to be tactless, but I genuinely wonder how all of this is going to impact the economics of women's basketball overseas. I have a hard time imagining teams offering bonuses for players to sit out the W season.

Obviously there are more important things here but I do wonder how this will also impact our small corner of the world.

craigmont

PostPosted: 03/03/22 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:

Not to be tactless, but I genuinely wonder how all of this is going to impact the economics of women's basketball overseas. I have a hard time imagining teams offering bonuses for players to sit out the W season.

Obviously there are more important things here but I do wonder how this will also impact our small corner of the world.

No more offseasons making big oligarch money from Russian teams is bound to have economic follow-on effects.

awhom111

PostPosted: 03/04/22 12:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Neither Dynamo Novosibirsk or Samara had foreign players in today's game.

johnjohnW wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:

Turkey just announced that they are dropping the number of foreigners allowed per game from four to three so that will also hurt non-Turkish players. The other thing to watch is whether China or South Korea will resume having foreign players. The Korean League can certainly afford it, but most of the Chinese League teams can barely keep their not particularly well-compensated local stars as is without paying a WNBA level post player too. The economics of European women's basketball started to be subject to change once women's soccer started becoming more accepted.
awhom111

PostPosted: 03/05/22 12:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A few players who were either playing in Ukraine or Russia were announced as signing with other teams this week. Adaora Elonu has signed with Avenida in Spain from Nadezhda Orenburg, Nikolina Babic signed with Izmit in Turkey from Prometey, and Julie Vanloo, who has been in pretty good form recently, signed with Moncalieri in Italy from Enisey Krasnoyarsk.
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 03/05/22 7:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

C'mon Athletes Unlimited. Now's your chance. If Russia becomes a less profitable option to start talent, I could see more players opting for Athletes Unlimited. Conversely, if AU becomes too big, I could see the W thearting them.

Who knows, maybe this will be the tipping point that gets the W to shift or lengthen their schedule.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: