RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNBA Prioritization
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/21/22 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Connecticut's Jonquel Jones says she'll continue to play overseas in WNBA offseason

Quote:
"...I feel like while the league is making the right and necessary strides to pay us more and ensure that if we don't want to go overseas, we don't have to, I just feel like in my situation, the money is not comparable. I have to think about the financial status of my family and everybody else, and also the opportunities that I'm leaving if I don't go..."

Jones reportedly signed a two-year deal this offseason worth $205,000 in 2021, slightly under the WNBA supermax of $228,094. But what she makes for a season playing in the WNBA, she makes in a month playing for Ekaterinburg.

And if not Russia, China, or Korea, then somewhere else, like Turkey. Sadly there are several overseas Leagues out there that can pay competitively against the W (or significantly more so).

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/21/22 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's one of the players who was essentially helping UMMC circumvent FIBA's foreigner rules, though. So if they're out, I imagine she'll be making significantly less wherever else she signs. A player of her quality, with a European passport, will get very well paid. But it's felt like UMMC were in something of a league of their own for a while.

PostPosted: 04/25/22 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Could there be a loophole to this prioritization? Say Player X has overseas commitments til june but flys back for training camp day one and goes back overseas on suspension for a few weeks? Is that possible? No I’m not reading that long ass CBA thanks …

PostPosted: 04/26/22 12:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Could there be a loophole to this prioritization? Say Player X has overseas commitments til june but flys back for training camp day one and goes back overseas on suspension for a few weeks? Is that possible? No I’m not reading that long ass CBA thanks …

No, providing playing services to any entity other than the WNBA or national teams between two weeks before the start of a tournament until 48 hours after elimination during the covered periods is not allowed.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/26/22 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

No, providing playing services to any entity other than the WNBA or national teams between two weeks before the start of a tournament until 48 hours after elimination during the covered periods is not allowed.

Thank you Awhom !!!! Cool Cool

PostPosted: 04/27/22 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Courtney Vandersloot will continue her overseas career despite WNBA’s looming prioritization rule

https://chicago.suntimes.com/chicago-sky-and-wnba/2022/4/26/23043315/sky-courtney-vandersloot-continue-overseas-career-wnba-prioritization-rule-sopron-basket

Quote:
“I’m going to continue to play, do what’s best for my career and make the decisions as I come to it,” Vandersloot said. “I don’t think that should be a factor. I should be able to do what I want in the offseason.”

PostPosted: 04/27/22 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Courtney Vandersloot will continue her overseas career despite WNBA’s looming prioritization rule

https://chicago.suntimes.com/chicago-sky-and-wnba/2022/4/26/23043315/sky-courtney-vandersloot-continue-overseas-career-wnba-prioritization-rule-sopron-basket

Quote:
“I’m going to continue to play, do what’s best for my career and make the decisions as I come to it,” Vandersloot said. “I don’t think that should be a factor. I should be able to do what I want in the offseason.”

Hearing another loop hole as to the reasons players are signing 1 year contracts. If they are forced to prioritize they will not sign another contract until they actually can show up in the US meaning arriving to the WNBA late and signing a contract late to avoid the rule. Would this work Awhom ?

PostPosted: 04/27/22 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Signing late really doesn't make any difference or help get around anything. The punishments just apply anyway once you sign (or stop you signing at all if you wait long enough). That was basically bullshit when players threw that out as reasons to sign one-year deals.

PostPosted: 04/27/22 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Signing late really doesn't make any difference or help get around anything. The punishments just apply anyway once you sign (or stop you signing at all if you wait long enough). That was basically bullshit when players threw that out as reasons to sign one-year deals.

Thanks Riichy these players are really trying to get creative hahahaha Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 04/27/22 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
That was basically bullshit when players threw that out as reasons to sign one-year deals.

As a means of getting around prioritization, yes, but I also think it's possible Breanna Stewart wanted to avoid committing to future seasons if she was unsure whether she would play in the WNBA at all.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/27/22 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TDAO wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
That was basically bullshit when players threw that out as reasons to sign one-year deals.

As a means of getting around prioritization, yes, but I also think it's possible Breanna Stewart wanted to avoid committing to future seasons if she was unsure whether she would play in the WNBA at all.

Yeah that's fair. I tend to think of WNBA contracts as a fairly abstract thing that may or may not be fulfilled, but players/agents sometimes see them more like a typical 'real world' contract - something where you're signing a document that commits both sides to the agreement. That would be one reason to only sign for a year.

PostPosted: 04/27/22 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Hearing another loop hole as to the reasons players are signing 1 year contracts. If they are forced to prioritize they will not sign another contract until they actually can show up in the US meaning arriving to the WNBA late and signing a contract late to avoid the rule. Would this work Awhom ?

As an example, I am simulating how WNBA prioritization rules would be applied if they were in effect this year in the Late Training Camp Arrivals Thread, including to players that are not currently under WNBA contract.
root_thing

PostPosted: 04/28/22 8:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We've always known that this would come down to a game of chicken. The question is who backs down first. There's too much money overseas for star players to prioritize the WNBA, so as expected, people like Jonquel Jones, CVS, and Breanna Stewart are saying overseas is my priority. On the other hand, it seems like a lot of lower and middle-tier players are choosing the WNBA. The disappearance of Russia, China, and South Korea as options certainly squeezes all players, but as usual it hits people at the bottom rungs harder. The stars may be making less money, but their less talented teammates are losing jobs. Consequently, the latter value their WNBA roster spots much more highly.

In the end, it seems to me this is really a confrontation between foreign owners (mostly Europe) vs WNBA owners -- not teams vs players. Within the foreign leagues themselves, it's a battle between rich teams that can afford stars versus the majority of franchises that can only afford ordinary American players. The best solution for everyone is for overseas leagues and the WNBA to coordinate their seasons. Up until now, it seems like the WNBA has done most of the adjusting. I think the prioritization rule was their attempt to force foreign leagues to share some of the burden. Hopefully, they can come to some kind of agreement before it gets really ugly.

PostPosted: 05/09/22 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The WNBA as a league needs to stop providing players for international FIBA events. They want their players to choose their league first and also provide players to represent the USA in these FIBA events. Something has to give. The NCAA can provide players for these events instead. If these teams get their butts kicked, that's life.
I don't want to sound callous but the league needs to formulate a better plan to help their players succeed, not punish them for maximizing their income during the prime years of their careers.

PostPosted: 05/15/22 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It sounds like Avenida is being told by agents that players want to avoid fines completely and be there for the start of training camp next year.
awhom111

PostPosted: 06/01/22 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In terms of leagues on weird schedules leading to random players being technically ruled ineligible to sign in future seasons, we have a new entrant. I learned today that there is a new league in Mexico (big oops for me since there is a former Duke player there and I am supposed to be tracking that sort of thing), which is where Elissa Cunane was playing before the team let her sign with the Lynx. The league appears to be more ambitious than the other league, which is also in the middle of its season right now, so there are bigger names being signed. Right now, it looks like Danielle Adams and Alexis Jones are the players there who would fall under prioritization rules.
awhom111

PostPosted: 08/12/22 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A reasonable interpretation of WNBA Prioritization rules would suggest that had this Tiffany Hayes incident (that I may get an assist on breaking... hint, hint) happened next season, she would be suspended for the season and suspended/ineligible to sign for the next season due to it not being an official FIBA national team event.
GEF34

PostPosted: 09/07/22 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/PercyAllen206/status/1567594291979231232

https://twitter.com/ChantelJennings/status/1567586156157476866

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/07/22 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
https://twitter.com/PercyAllen206/status/1567594291979231232

https://twitter.com/ChantelJennings/status/1567586156157476866

Much bigger issue for Gabby Williams than Stewart (or the vast majority of other players) because Williams signed to play in France. Very few WNBA-level players are going to be in France this year, so their super-late-running season will once again only affect a small group.

Stewart might still be at the forefront of people being asked about it, but losing a week or two of WNBA money would be largely irrelevant for her.

PostPosted: 09/07/22 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reminder for myself:
http://basketlfb.com/actualite/81502

The earliest that any team will be done in France is May 6th. Finals end the 20th or 22nd.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/08/22 12:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Those dates are actually better than I was expecting. Between France cutting back a bit and the WNBA schedule being in a non-Worlds/Olympics year I think it'd be close for players to actually make it in time for the regular season. But probably a little late if they make the Finals.

PostPosted: 09/08/22 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe the French should try having teams play more than once every 10 days

PostPosted: 10/01/22 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Been running through lists of players in anticipation of creating a prioritization tracker next year. Poor Adut Bulgak would have been banned for the season if rules were in force this year with less than 85 minutes of WNBA time in her career as she was playing in Mexico during the season.

On the flip side, Satou Sabally is one of the players who has actually played three seasons who should be able to argue that not all three count as years of service, exempting her for now.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/02/22 12:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the league would and will credit all three of Sabally's seasons as Years of Service. But there's never been any reason a player wouldn't want a Year of Service before. So who knows.

PostPosted: 10/02/22 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Will the WNBA have a 40 Game Schedule in 2023 and play will start earlier in May ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: