RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Russian Figure Skating Doping Scandal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
undersized_post

PostPosted: 02/09/22 1:50 pm    ::: Russian Figure Skating Doping Scandal Reply Reply with quote

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1119043/valieva-legal-problem-beijing-2022

This story is still breaking with more details yet to come, but it appears likely that the Russian Olympic Federation will have their gold team figure skating medal revoked due to a skater failing a drug test. The skater in question is 15 year old prodigy Kamila Valieva, who from what I understand is akin to Simone Biles in the sense that she has set world records and done jumps that no one else has ever landed in the Olympics or otherwise. She will probably not be allowed to compete in the individual competition either.

I feel like it's important to emphasize she is only 15. Therefore she can not be held personally responsible for the drugs she is taken. I blame her coaches, doctors, and just in general the adults in her life who are supposed to have her best interests at heart. She is a victim of a flawed system. I feel sad for her.

PostPosted: 02/10/22 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.npr.org/2022/02/10/1079829894/doping-scandal-olympics-russian-skater

PostPosted: 02/14/22 12:35 am    ::: Re: Russian Figure Skating Doping Scandal Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1119043/valieva-legal-problem-beijing-2022

This story is still breaking with more details yet to come, but it appears likely that the Russian Olympic Federation will have their gold team figure skating medal revoked due to a skater failing a drug test. The skater in question is 15 year old prodigy Kamila Valieva, who from what I understand is akin to Simone Biles in the sense that she has set world records and done jumps that no one else has ever landed in the Olympics or otherwise. She will probably not be allowed to compete in the individual competition either.

I feel like it's important to emphasize she is only 15. Therefore she can not be held personally responsible for the drugs she is taken. I blame her coaches, doctors, and just in general the adults in her life who are supposed to have her best interests at heart. She is a victim of a flawed system. I feel sad for her.

I have to throw the Brown Flag on her not being responsible. She's an Olympic athlete. They are all given the list of banned substances. She knew it was against the rules and did it anyway. It's just typical of Russia. They shouldn't be at these games for what they did in 2014. IOC has shown itself to be weak in this matter.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 02/14/22 2:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not saying the girl should be allowed to compete. I'm just saying, a 15 year old does just happen upon a banned substance without the help of the adults in her life. Blame the coaches and doctors who gave her access to the substances and will willingly do it again if they get away with it. Blame the coaches and doctors who care more about these girls' short term victories over their health and longevity. Don't blame the 15 year old who was separated from her family at a young age to train with said adults and doing the only thing she knows how to do, which is skate and follow orders. It's a systemic problem, not an individual one.

For context on the coach
https://apnews.com/article/winter-olympics-kamila-valieva-coach-eteri-tutberidze-2358f0e5bf9585918005ace3ce4268d4

PostPosted: 02/14/22 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Apparently PEDs are less serious than marijuana

PostPosted: 02/15/22 1:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Apparently PEDs are less serious than marijuana

Let's see:

Athlete A: Adult, admitted to knowingly using banned substance, no fear of coaches anger or government interference in lives of family and friends if the substance wasn't used.

Athlete B: Minor, possibly knew she was taking a banned substance, tremendous fear of coaches and government interference.

Having said that, I don't think she should be able to compete. The rules were broken. There should be consequences for that.

"Victim" isn't a good look for SR.

Is there a limited number of skaters allowed to skate? I know some of the events have qualifications and only 12 move on. It seems like with skating, it would be possible to add another skater and then decide later if she is eligible without too much impact on other skaters. In the 100 and 200, it is next to impossible to add a ninth runner without impacting other athletes.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
pilight

PostPosted: 02/15/22 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The IOC needs to just ban all the Russian athletes. If they want to compete they can defect.

PostPosted: 02/15/22 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The nuances are a bit different between this and the Sha'carri Richardson case in the sense that it is a different governing body making the decision. But I agree in the meta sense that on the surface it's all so unfair and corrupt.

The excuse is now floating around from the Valieva camp that she "accidentally might have taken her grandfather's medication." LMAO

I feel like there's also some confusion floating around on how decision to let Valieva compete today is being reported. Even though she's competeing, it's all on a provisional basis. There's still a chance she will be disqualified at a later date. Basically, the organization punted having to make a decision until after the Olympics are over, which will allow them to get away with it doing it "behind closed doors" when the media scrutiny has died down. The International Skating Union (ISU) is so far up Russia's backside that I'm pessimistic they will actually do the right thing and DQ her.

One of the reasons given for allowing the decision to be delayed is that the test results of "Sample A" back in December 2021 only just came out. We are still awaiting the results of the "B Sample" that should confirm the drug was in Valieva's system. (Unless, of course, Russia finds a way to tamper with the result, which is sadly not unlikely.) I suppose it is fair to not make a final decision until the original positive test has been confirmed. But what has it taken this long in the first place?! They are dragging their feet to give themselves the flexibility to make the decision they (AKA Russia) want to make behind closed doors.

In other Figure Skating Corruption news, Japanese Skater Wakaba Higuchi somehow received a lower score in the women's Short Program last night despite competing more difficult jumps than she did in the Team competition! She upgraded her double axel to a triple axel, performed it cleanly, and the judges lowballed her by taking ridiculous deductions elsewhere in her program. The ISU would do anything to make sure multiple Russian girls end up on the podium.

PostPosted: 02/15/22 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Copying this post from Reddit (lol) because it's explained much better:

Quote:
"This verdict in no way, shape, or form means that Valieva ... has 'gotten away with doping.' It does not mean the International Olympic Committee has given the all-clear to dope 15 year olds.

Do I think Valieva should be skating tomorrow? Absolutely not. But this hearing was about the provisional suspension only. It had nothing to do with the actual positive test or the investigation into it. The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) was not ruling on whether Valieva was doping, who gave her the drugs, whether she should be banned, or anything like that.

The only thing which CAS could possibly rule on is whether Valieva should be suspended until the completion of the full investigation. This is the normal case. However, in this case, it appears that the World Anti-Doping Agnecy's (WADA's) own code does not contain provisions for provisional suspension of under-16 athletes.

In other words, WADA fucked up by not having a rule to cover this eventuality.

It is still possible that Valieva could be suspended and her medals stripped.* This could take place several weeks from now, when the full investigation including her B-sample is complete.

My heart absolutely aches for whichever little country woman will miss the cut tomorrow (AKA placing 25th in the short program and not advancing to the long program finals), knowing that Valieva will likely end up stripped anyway.

But once again, this ruling was not about whether or not Valieva doped. It was only about whether she should be suspended until they figure out if she did."

*I would add that I am pessimistic that the IOS will do the right thing and DQ her.

PostPosted: 02/15/22 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another very informative Reddit post that breaks down the situation in a FAQ format:

Quote:
Wait, what about the investigation? There are no consequences? This is a strictly procedural ruling and has nothing to do with the merits of the case. The WADA investigation into Valieva’s “entourage” was only just announced and hasn’t even truly begun.

I blame the ISU. For once, this isn’t their fault. The ISU will not be relevant until after a merits decision is reached and they’re asked to weigh in on how to handle any scoring-related issues that arise from Valieva being (potentially, but realistically almost certainly) disqualified, as well as how to handle the team event.

So what happens at the medals ceremony? I would not expect there to be a women’s medal ceremony, similar to the team event. Because the case against Valieva will be ongoing at the end of the women’s event, it’s likely that the IOC will try to avoid the optics of the ceremony and then figure out who actually won once all the appeals are done.

So why is she allowed to compete? For the reason I predicted: denying her the chance to compete is an irreparable harm. It’s much easier to disqualify her after the fact, as there’s no way to make her whole in the event she wins on the merits.

Did she get off on a technicality? Possibly? The press release noted that the World Anti-Doping Code is silent on the issue of suspension of protected persons in the event of a positive test, and the rules that are there with regard to protected persons are all about lighter sentencing — so the official rules all point toward protected persons being given more leniency, and it seems CAS followed that precedent.

Why she’s allowed to compete if she’s too young to be bound by the rules is an interesting question!

Could she just get off with a warning? Yes, although precedent for trimetazidine ingestion even in a case of proven contamination is a six month suspension. Suspension starts from the date of the positive test, not the date of the ruling. That would cost Valieva her European Championship title and all Olympic medals. Even if the suspension were cut in half due to her age, that would still cover Europeans and the Olympics.

None of this had anything to do with the merits. Valieva, like all athletes, has due process rights in this process and this is going to go on for quite a while. The merits decision is likely months away, and then there will be appeals.

PostPosted: 02/17/22 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The IOC needs to treat Russia the way the NCAA treated SMU football in the 80's. The only way to stop them from cheating is kick them out altogether.

PostPosted: 02/18/22 8:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does anyone who watched the interviews with the other skaters last night think this situation was handled correctly? What happened to being fair to the other skaters who played by the rules and were left in limbo? I'm done with watching the Olympics for good...too much cheating and political bullshit.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 02/18/22 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Does anyone who watched the interviews with the other skaters last night think this situation was handled correctly? What happened to being fair to the other skaters who played by the rules and were left in limbo? I'm done with watching the Olympics for good...too much cheating and political bullshit.

Would you mind sharing a link to the interviews you're referencing? If you have one handy, if not, no worries. Curious if you're referring to the other Russian skaters, the Japanese, the Americans, etc.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: