RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Team USA 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/11/22 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are a lot of variables that make predicting the final team harder than one might think but

my guess

Gray/Ionescu
Loyd/Plum
Atkins/Copper/R. Howard
Stewart/Austin
Wilson/Boston/Dolson

welcome to the future building blocks with Ionescu, Howard, Austin and Boston
Plum's shooting and ability to pretend to be a PG sometimes and connection to Wilson and Gray squeak her in
Deshields becomes the always a bridesmaid never a bride player losing out to Copper and Howard (and again to Dolson for the 12th spot)
Dolson gets the slight head scratcher but we need an experienced big big who can ride the bench happily and be ready to play when her number is called last spot (team even though they have enough size at the 3 to fake it decide to go five posts just incase)
Feel bad for the Suns players but they might not be high enough on the chart with International skills to survive missing all of camp because of the finals

as always even with a smaller pool some very talented players will miss out

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/12/22 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AP article here - https://www.espn.com/olympics/summer/basketball/story/_/id/34570738/angel-mccoughtry-not-team-usa-world-cup-roster - suggests they're heading to Australia with the 12 non-Finals players still in the squad, so I guess if they dump anyone to add Aces/Sun players they just get to sit around and watch after being removed from the roster. Or it's a pretty nice place to have a holiday I guess, especially with USA Basketball paying for the travel.

PostPosted: 09/12/22 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
There are a lot of variables that make predicting the final team harder than one might think but

my guess

Gray/Ionescu
Loyd/Plum
Atkins/Copper/R. Howard
Stewart/Austin
Wilson/Boston/Dolson

welcome to the future building blocks with Ionescu, Howard, Austin and Boston
Plum's shooting and ability to pretend to be a PG sometimes and connection to Wilson and Gray squeak her in
Deshields becomes the always a bridesmaid never a bride player losing out to Copper and Howard (and again to Dolson for the 12th spot)
Dolson gets the slight head scratcher but we need an experienced big big who can ride the bench happily and be ready to play when her number is called last spot (team even though they have enough size at the 3 to fake it decide to go five posts just incase)
Feel bad for the Suns players but they might not be high enough on the chart with International skills to survive missing all of camp because of the finals

as always even with a smaller pool some very talented players will miss out

I agree with this assessment, though it's possible that DeShields makes it over Plum. And I think Dolson makes it over NaLyssa Smith because: height and experience. Consider it Dolson's reward for winning 3 x 3 Gold plus a WNBA championship. Smith has been the energizer bunny of USA camp, competing with Shakira for that honor. Unfortunately for Smith, her lack of height comes into play and the reason for that was displayed in the scrimmage as she had trouble finishing in traffic among the trees.

Might be premature, but big congrats to Aliyah Boston, Rhyne Howard and Shakira Austin in making their USA National Team debut! We do need one more pure point for the Olympics so there's space for a college player to distinguish themselves unless Skylar decides to give it a go.

~rAf
pilight

PostPosted: 02/07/23 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Diana Taurasi: Playing for Team USA at 2024 Paris Olympics is 'on my radar'

https://www.cbssports.com/olympics/news/diana-taurasi-playing-for-team-usa-at-2024-paris-olympics-is-on-my-radar/

Quote:
I'm still competitive, still driven, still want to play, I still love being a part of USA Basketball

PostPosted: 02/07/23 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

this is so unserious lmao

undersized_post

PostPosted: 02/07/23 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Guess she was serious when she said "See you in Paris" into the camera after the Tokyo gold medal game Laughing

PostPosted: 02/07/23 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

She needs to watch some game tape. She's now just a streaky shooter, occasional passer and total liability on defense.

~rAf
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/08/23 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

She needs to watch some game tape. She's now just a streaky shooter, occasional passer and total liability on defense.

Those would all be perfectly valid considerations... if selection for Team USA was actually based on playing ability.
(and also if they couldn't afford to carry multiple passengers while still being virtually assured of winning gold)

PostPosted: 02/08/23 2:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Those would all be perfectly valid considerations... if selection for Team USA was actually based on playing ability.
(and also if they couldn't afford to carry multiple passengers while still being virtually assured of winning gold)

Geno is no longer making the selections. No more gratuitous medals for his former players.

~rAf
GEF34

PostPosted: 02/08/23 2:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

If she wants to continue playing and trying out for USA basketball till she takes her last breath more power to her, but it’s up to the powers that be to make the tough call and say you don’t have it anymore, it’s time to give your spot to someone else or say your cut from USA basketball. Obviously easier said than done to make that call for someone of her stature, but when you want to be in a position of power you have to make the hard decisions.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/08/23 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She missed the WC's and USA had no issues , so im unsure why they will have an issue telling her no when it comes to the olympics other than the powers that be putting birdies in the ears of the new leadership of team USA. She's done a lot for the program , but after a while you need to build trust with a new core.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: