RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#9 Connecticut @ St John’s - 1/23/22
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 01/23/22 2:56 am    ::: #9 Connecticut @ St John’s - 1/23/22 Reply Reply with quote

Queens, NY - 1:00 PM ET
TV: SNY (Allen Bestwick, Meghan Culmo)

Video stream:
http://stream.nbcsports.com/rsn/sny (tvpli)
https://www.foxsports.com/live (tvpli)

Audio:
https://thevarsitynetwork.com/audioapplink/source/university-of-connecticut-:oas-1502

Live stats:
https://redstormsports.com/sidearmstats/wbball/summary

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Queenie

PostPosted: 01/23/22 8:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Things I am not looking forward to: this.

PostPosted: 01/23/22 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can UCONN beat another shitty BEast team?!

Must-see TV.

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/23/22 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So far there are at least eight people in UConn gears in the seats reserved for St. John's season ticket holders and Shenneika Smith had to ask security to chase someone in UConn colors out from behind the home bench. I hate this so much. I never wanted UConn back in the conference.

PostPosted: 01/23/22 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
So far there are at least eight people in UConn gears in the seats reserved for St. John's season ticket holders and Shenneika Smith had to ask security to chase someone in UConn colors out from behind the home bench. I hate this so much. I never wanted UConn back in the conference.

Maybe if your team wasn't shitty the season ticket holders would show up.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 01/23/22 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is the most important game of the year to me. The fate of the streak...

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/23/22 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Isn't it common in most arenas for fans to move down to better empty seats? There's hardly anyone there.

SJU moving the ball well on offense and having little trouble getting penetration or outside shots. More trouble hitting them.
linkster

PostPosted: 01/23/22 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought that secondary defenders can't get a charge call inside the arc by rule? Maybe I'm wrong or maybe the rule doesn't apply to Canadian players? Rolling Eyes

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 01/23/22 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

I wonder if as much as we didn't want to go back to it?

Shades

PostPosted: 01/23/22 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

42-31 CON at the half

Could be worse.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/23/22 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As much as I didn't like the AAC, it may be that it would have been better in the long run for UConn WBB to stay in it. The AAC has more national type universities in states that are growing in population, and may have offered UConn WBB better competition in future years. Don't know about other sports, as I don't really follow them anymore.
linkster

PostPosted: 01/23/22 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Every time a UConn post posts low and gets the ball or drives inside there are 4 SJ's swarming down under the basket. There should be 3 wide open 3 pt shooters every time.

linkster

PostPosted: 01/23/22 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
As much as I didn't like the AAC, it may be that it would have been better in the long run for UConn WBB to stay in it. The AAC has more national type universities in states that are growing in population and may have offered UConn WBB better competition in future years. Don't know about other sports, as I don't really follow them anymore.

I'm not sure there is a correlation between population size and the quality of wcbb. maybe if it was a major sport but it's a niche sport. Niche sports get lost in major urban areas. UConn benefits in the media by having no major league pro sports in the state.
The problem with playing in the AAC was that the men's team couldn't recruit from their normal areas (Wash-Bos) and the coaches had no contacts in the deep south. That and football not paying off.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/23/22 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
As much as I didn't like the AAC, it may be that it would have been better in the long run for UConn WBB to stay in it. The AAC has more national type universities in states that are growing in population, and may have offered UConn WBB better competition in future years. Don't know about other sports, as I don't really follow them anymore.

Whichever. Conferences really depend on football for their revenue, and UConn does not have that, at least to mention. They could possibly survive in the ACC, but the ACC doesn't want them. (I'm not clear at all why they left the AAC, please enlighten me.) MBB is the second biggest revenue generator in most schools, and UConn has been on/off with that, mostly off in recent years. I know UConn probably makes a lot more money than most schools with their WBB program. They do seem to like being a big fish in a little pond there.

PostPosted: 01/23/22 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
As much as I didn't like the AAC, it may be that it would have been better in the long run for UConn WBB to stay in it. The AAC has more national type universities in states that are growing in population and may have offered UConn WBB better competition in future years. Don't know about other sports, as I don't really follow them anymore.

I'm not sure there is a correlation between population size and the quality of wcbb. maybe if it was a major sport but it's a niche sport. Niche sports get lost in major urban areas. UConn benefits in the media by having no major league pro sports in the state.
The problem with playing in the AAC was that the men's team couldn't recruit from their normal areas (Wash-Bos) and the coaches had no contacts in the deep south. That and football not paying off.

Maybe, some day, we'll get in a real WCB Conf. Not holding my breath.

linkster

PostPosted: 01/23/22 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
linkster wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Maybe, some day, we'll get in a real WCB Conf. Not holding my breath.

UConn built wcbb in the BE. The BE had a few decent teams in 1985 but not too many final 4 teams. Geno winning spurred other programs to hire better coaches which led to better players and in the last year of the BE they had 3 of the 4 final four teams. Not bad for a mid major.

Hire good coaches and the players will follow.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/23/22 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay win by UConn. Bailey and Correa were fun to watch for Red Storm.
Shades

PostPosted: 01/23/22 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

75-57 CON final

Is Olivia Nelson-Ododa trying to be Cubaj with her 18 reb and 10 ast?

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/23/22 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Queenie wrote:

When I say "reserved", I mean there were signs specifying that the seats were reserved for St. John's season ticket holders on those signs, and that people in UConn gear knowingly sat on those signs, and that people purportedly working as ushers and security for St. John's did nothing to enforce those signs. Given that I relocated from my usual seats with the understanding that the section was reserved and I would not have to deal with opposing fans, I hope you can understand my frustration.

Also, if you think calling my team shitty is going to faze me, I'm fully aware of how much of a trainwreck we are, have been for several years, and will most likely continue to be if we don't change the trajectory. We don't recruit well in either quantity or quality and our last two halfway decent guards fled for warmer climes. We have all the institutional support of a torn brassiere. We had about ten students in the student section today and that might have been a season-high. If I haven't made my opinion clear: Fire Joe Tartamella. Into the sun. And if they don't: run, Leilani, run as far and as fast as you can.

PostPosted: 01/23/22 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Okay win by UConn. Bailey and Correa were fun to watch for Red Storm.

Leilani is fun to watch, but I think Kadaja is my favorite. If we had a coach, I think we'd see a lot more of her defensive potential on a regular basis.

PostPosted: 01/23/22 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now that I've gotten the bitterness out of my mouth, some quick hits:

Apologies for the PA guy screwing up Nelson-Ododa's last name in intros.

Did we not scout Ducharme? (Also, fun fact: she's not even the first Ducharme to beat us this season! Her sister plays for Brown! Which we also managed to lose to! Apparently I did not run out of bitterness!)

Nelson-Ododa's free throws looked like the shot of a player who very carefully worked on her shot in her youth and then suddenly had her arms grow, like, a foot.

Having some height, in the form of Rayven Peeples and occasionally Danielle Cosgrove, was handy, and seemed to do better for us than it did for Seton Hall. But we couldn't take advantage of UConn's shallow rotation (I'd say short but y'all are all 6-5, c'mon) because we have even less depth.

Mühl seems to have a fondness for the extra degree of difficulty on her shot.

If Danielle Patterson doesn't get her ass to a shot doctor, she needs to give up that number. We don't have a *lot* of truly notable players in STJ history, but #3 has a proud history.

I'm pleasantly surprised and somewhat bemused by the relatively low margin of victory.

Imma need *both* coaching staffs to put their masks back on, kplsthxbai.

Fire Joe Tartamella into the sun.

PostPosted: 01/23/22 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

*Columbos my way back into the thread*

And one more thing...

I realize that we're in the middle of a pandemic. However. It is a goddamn failure of marketing on all levels to bring UConn into an arena with a listed capacity of 5602 and only manage to get 945 people into the building. (It is personally annoying that approximately 700 of them appeared to be rooting for UConn, but that is a separate point from this point. I am capable of *both* being annoyed that there are not enough fans in the building and that they are disproportionately opposing fans.)

PostPosted: 01/24/22 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
linkster wrote:
Queenie wrote:

When I say "reserved", I mean there were signs specifying that the seats were reserved for St. John's season ticket holders on those signs, and that people in UConn gear knowingly sat on those signs, and that people purportedly working as ushers and security for St. John's did nothing to enforce those signs. Given that I relocated from my usual seats with the understanding that the section was reserved and I would not have to deal with opposing fans, I hope you can understand my frustration.

Also, if you think calling my team shitty is going to faze me, I'm fully aware of how much of a trainwreck we are, have been for several years, and will most likely continue to be if we don't change the trajectory. We don't recruit well in either quantity or quality and our last two halfway decent guards fled for warmer climes. We have all the institutional support of a torn brassiere. We had about ten students in the student section today and that might have been a season-high. If I haven't made my opinion clear: Fire Joe Tartamella. Into the sun. And if they don't: run, Leilani, run as far and as fast as you can.

I didn't call your team shitty, it was huskiemaniac. I only repeated his analysis.
Quote:
"Can UCONN beat another shitty BEast team?!".

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 01/24/22 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 01/24/22 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Linkster just used you as a meatshield..... Razz Razz Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: