RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Who uses Advil?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 12/27/21 3:21 pm    ::: Who uses Advil? Reply Reply with quote

I’m new to pain. What are people’s familiarity and experiences with Advil? How do people who are older feel about taking it? Has anyone taken it for more than two days? Etc. Please and thank you.

PostPosted: 12/27/21 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Advil (known generically as ibuprofen) has done me a lot of good for simple headaches, or pains from a simple bump/bruise condition. I'd certainly feel free to use it for several days in a row for, say, a sprained ankle but....that's ME. Try it and see...? *I* certainly feel it's effective. (....and the generic is identical, imo)

PostPosted: 12/27/21 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you! Is it something you've taken over the years?

PostPosted: 12/27/21 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Thank you! Is it something you've taken over the years?

Yes, for many years.

PostPosted: 12/27/21 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I find the ibuprofen family more effective for me than the acetaminophen family.

PostPosted: 12/27/21 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You don't need me to tell you this, but you can do a lot better internet research than asking for anecdotal stories on Area 51 of a WBB board.

But since you asked . . .

I have taken both ibuprofen and acetaminophen in high doses for long periods of time for unrelenting low back and hip pains. I hate to, I try to avoid it as much as possible, but sometimes I just have to get a little relief in order to get off my back and walk.

Both relieve pain -- not very much for mine -- but ibuprofen is better for reducing inflammation.

Ibuprofen is an NSAID, while acetaminophen is not, and NSAIDs are recommended against for people with a variety of medical conditions such as high blood pressure, stroke, cardiovascular diseases, and gastronomical problems.

Too much ibuprofen can harm the kidneys, while too much acetaminophen can harm the liver, so people with those conditions should stay away from the offending pill.

Because I have high BP and cholesterol (both under control), have had GI disease (in remission), and my kidney markers are slightly worse than my liver markers (much to my surprise), I take acetaminophen 90+% of the time vs. ibuprofen.

I mainly take ibuprofen when I feel the need to take high doses of pain pills for a few days, as when traveling, in which case I sometimes will alternate acetaminophen with ibuprofen throughout the day. I have no idea whether such an alternation strategy "follows the science", but you can search the issue elsewhere on the internet.

Sorry to read about your wife's family. God bless.
PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/27/21 10:03 pm    ::: Re: Who uses Advil? Reply Reply with quote

It has always been my OTC painkiller of choice, but if you plan to start taking it regularly, be sure to consult with your primary care doctor. I mine has told me to stop taking it (switch to acetaminophen) because of interaction with other medication I am on and potential blood thinning issues.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/27/21 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I use either Aleve (naproxen) or whatever my doctor prescribes.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 12/28/21 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you, everyone. And thank you for the kind words, Glenn.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: