RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Big East 2021-22
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will UConn finish first in the Big East?
Yes
83%
 83%  [ 15 ]
No
16%
 16%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 18

Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/10/21 2:37 am    ::: Big East 2021-22 Reply Reply with quote

I was gonna leave a comment on the DePaul-Kentucky thread, reconsidered its appropriateness, and decided to post it in the Big East thread... only to realize that I don't think there is one.

Welp, this certainly seems like a good season to start one! (With a 14-day poll thrown in there, just for fun. Very Happy )

Current standings as of 12-9-21:

DePaul – 2-0, 8-2 overall
Marquette – 2-0, 7-2 overall
Creighton – 2-0, 5-2 overall
UConn – 1-0, 5-2 overall
St. John's – 1-0, 4-4 overall
Georgetown – 1-1, 5-4 overall
Providence – 1-1, 5-5 overall
Villanova – 0-2, 4-5 overall
Xavier – 0-2, 4-5 overall
Seton Hall – 0-2, 3-4 overall
Butler – 0-2, 0-8 overall

Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/10/21 2:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And the comment I originally intended to say was, I see that DePaul hosts UConn on New Years Eve. Might this finally be the year that the Blue Demons get a win?

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 12/10/21 4:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
And the comment I originally intended to say was, I see that DePaul hosts UConn on New Years Eve. Might this finally be the year that the Blue Demons get a win?

If UConn doesn't still go undefeated in the Big East, it won't be because of losing Paige, or Azzi. If Geno can't go undefeated with all the talent still on that roster, he doesn't have anyone to blame but himself. As much as some are trying to push Westbrook as a first round draft pick, she particularly is a shadow of the player she was at Tennessee and has been solidly mediocre during her time at UConn.

Last edited by PickledGinger on 12/10/21 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 12/10/21 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think UCONN runs away with the Big East again this season. And it may only be UCONN and DePaul in the NCAA Tournament.

Marquette had been projected to be an NCAA Tournament team at the start of the season but I don't see that happening. They haven't played a very strong non- conference schedule and their 2 conference wins are against two of the worst teams in the BIg East and they struggled to beat a very bad winless Butler team at home this past weekend. They are averaging about 19 turnovers a game and tend to struggle offensively.

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/10/21 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As a fan of 2.5 of the 11 Big East teams, I gotta say that this non-conference schedule is doing us no favors in the "we're better than the American, I swear" column. I expected more out of Seton Hall, and I would like for St. John's to consider scheduling a bit more aggressively next season.

At least DePaul didn't do what they usually do on national television. (And they brought up the WBL and Doug Bruno's time coaching the Hustle! If you have not read Mad Seasons, why have you not read Mad Seasons?)

(now with spelling variations)
Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/10/21 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
As a fan of 2.5 of the 11 Big East teams, I gotta say that this non-conference schedule is doing us no favors in the "we're better than the American, I swear" column. I expected more out of Seton Hall, and I would like for St. John's to consider scheduling a bit more aggressively next season.

At least DePaul didn't do what they usually do on national television. (And they brought up the WBL and Doug Bruno's time coaching the Hustle! If you have not read Mad Seasons, why have you not read Mad Seasons?)

Refresh our memories on who that .5 of a team you root for in this conference is? Razz

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 12/10/21 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion! I already added this to my christmas list Wink . I'd heard of Molly Bolin before but I had no idea how dominant she was in her era. In fact, she still carries the highest single-season scoring average in the history of American professional WBB (32.Cool and was co-MVP with Ann Meyers in the 1980 season.

PostPosted: 12/10/21 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Refresh our memories on who that .5 of a team you root for in this conference is? Razz

I like Marquette. I like Megan Duffy, and I like the folks over at Anonymous Eagle, the Marquette SB Nation blog, for the simple reason that they believe covering Marquette means covering *all* Marquette sports (do *I* care about soccer or volleyball or lacrosse or field hockey or cross country or track and field? no! do I love that *they* care about soccer or volleyball or lacrosse or field hockey or cross country or track and field? yes!) I can have more in-depth conversations (or screaming into the void sessions) about the Red Storm's offense with them than I can the St. John's blog folks.

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/10/21 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion! I already added this to my christmas list Wink . I'd heard of Molly Bolin before but I had no idea how dominant she was in her era. In fact, she still carries the highest single-season scoring average in the history of American professional WBB (32.Cool and was co-MVP with Ann Meyers in the 1980 season.

It's great! There's a thrown chair, and early-bird cameos from some familiar names, and a murder, and Houston being Houston, and a few doses of "the more things change, the more they stay the same".

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 12/11/21 8:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Queenie wrote:

I like Marquette. I like Megan Duffy, and I like the folks over at Anonymous Eagle, the Marquette SB Nation blog, for the simple reason that they believe covering Marquette means covering *all* Marquette sports (do *I* care about soccer or volleyball or lacrosse or field hockey or cross country or track and field? no! do I love that *they* care about soccer or volleyball or lacrosse or field hockey or cross country or track and field? yes!) I can have more in-depth conversations (or screaming into the void sessions) about the Red Storm's offense with them than I can the St. John's blog folks.

Yes the Anonymous Eagle coverage is really nice. They helped figure out what was up with one MU player not playing so far this season from finding a pic this summer of her in a full knee brace. I just went to their site to read the game preview for today. Appreciate having you root some for Marquette Smile. Although I'm not sure how much longer MU is going to be able to hold onto Megan Duffy which is one of your draws to MU...

undersized_post

PostPosted: 12/12/21 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Villanova beats Oregon State 56-52.

PostPosted: 12/12/21 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:

Big win for the Wildcats. Anyone know if they were supposed to be good this year? They’re only 5-5 now, but it seems like they’ve played a pretty rigorous schedule thus far.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 12/12/21 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

Big win for the Wildcats. Anyone know if they were supposed to be good this year? They’re only 5-5 now, but it seems like they’ve played a pretty rigorous schedule thus far.

They have two good wins since Maddy Siegrist has returned to action!

PostPosted: 12/12/21 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

They have two good wins since Maddy Siegrist has returned to action!

Ahh, didn’t realize she hadn’t been playing. Yep, she’s pretty important for them!

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/12/21 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Creighton just beat Arizona State, 69-62.
Queenie

PostPosted: 12/12/21 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

and meanwhile St. John's falls at Wagner 62-59.

Sloppy game. I don't know why we scheduled a back-to-back, but it was a bad idea. Offensive too passive, defense a step slow. Wagner's aggressive, but we should have the talent to beat an NEC team, even a good one. This isn't the Robert Morris glory years. This isn't Quinnipiac preparing to jump to the MAAC.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/12/21 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Creighton just beat Arizona State, 69-62.

And then of course UConn beat UCLA yesterday, fwiw. I am once again asking for the Pac-12 & Big East conferences to do an annual "Challenge" like the ACC/B1G & the SEC/Big 12 do. Both conferences compare well enough in respective member count (12 to 11), and especially when you see results like these, the two compare well enough in theoretical competitiveness within games, too. The only reason it wouldn't make sense is geographically, which is sadly a big part of it, but it's not like schools from both conferences genuinely don't recruit across the entire country. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I just think, it would be fun!

Queenie wrote:
and meanwhile St. John's falls at Wagner 62-59.

And even that type of defeat would not be a barrier to being able to defeat a team like my Huskies this year. Razz

Crying or Very sad

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/14/21 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UCF controls the entire way versus Seton Hall. I don't even know the final. 68-56 or something? idk. Andra Espinoza-Hunter scared us all by going down in a heap and being carried off, but she came back. Mya Jackson, on the other hand, apparently took a hit to the head and only played two minutes.

I am really glad I did not take off work to go to this game. Things might have been thrown, and the teddy bear toss was a couple of weeks ago.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/14/21 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
UCF controls the entire way versus Seton Hall. I don't even know the final. 68-56 or something? idk. Andra Espinoza-Hunter scared us all by going down in a heap and being carried off, but she came back. Mya Jackson, on the other hand, apparently took a hit to the head and only played two minutes.

I am really glad I did not take off work to go to this game. Things might have been thrown, and the teddy bear toss was a couple of weeks ago.

Glad she's apparently okay. Also apparently glad you did not attend. Smile

ucbart

PostPosted: 12/14/21 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

UCF is the most physical, borderline dirty team, in the country.

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/14/21 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Then I’m extra glad I didn’t take the extra day off, because I’d probably have gotten thrown out and/or flashed back to the Southern Miss debacle, which I still hold up as a reason to actually keep and use players, because strange things can happen.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 12/15/21 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie - will you be at the Marquette-Seton Hall game on Sunday? Marquette's offense actualy decided to show up in their last game but it's been missing a lot this season so far Smile. And this one is actually on TV so that's cool.

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/15/21 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Queenie - will you be at the Marquette-Seton Hall game on Sunday? Marquette's offense actualy decided to show up in their last game but it's been missing a lot this season so far Smile. And this one is actually on TV so that's cool.

Husband will. For my sins, I’ll be at St. John’s watching them play DePaul.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/16/21 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Obviously you've never seen Liberty.

PostPosted: 12/16/21 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn should still rule and roll.
Depaul is a perennial wannabe.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: