RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Miami @ #8 Maryland - 12/02/21

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 12/02/21 1:34 am    ::: Miami @ #8 Maryland - 12/02/21 Reply Reply with quote

College Park, MD - 8:00 PM ET
TV: BTN

Video stream:
https://www.foxsports.com/live/btn (sub)

Audio:
https://wvum.org/listen

Live stats:
https://umterps.com/sidearmstats/wbball/summary

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 12/02/21 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 12/02/21 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

18-17 MIA end of first Confused

Shades

PostPosted: 12/02/21 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

49-48 MD mid third

Shades

PostPosted: 12/02/21 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

82-74 MD final

Reese 26 pts, 15 reb, 5 TO

geeceem

PostPosted: 12/03/21 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Terps still looking rattled from the nightmare weekend in the Bahamas. Little consistent flow in the offense. It used to be “Give the ball to Alyssa and see what happens…”, now it’s “Give the ball to Angel/Ashley and see what happens…”

They at least got Katie and Faith back, but Katie, normally their best three-point shooter, was hitting zilch. Rust from the down-time, we hope.

Brenda likes to emphasize rebounding, which isn’t wrong, but the Terps out-rebounded Miami 48-22 and still just barely won.

This could be a long season in College Park.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/03/21 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Was cleaning most of these Challenge games off my DVRs and watched the end of this game again before I deleted it.

One strange play effectively decided the game, and Maryland can really thank Angel Reese who played well the whole game and really won the game at the end, while scoring a career high.

With 2:01 to go in the game, Miami hit two free throws to tie the game at 72. About 20 seconds later, the deciding series started with Reese making a nice move at the rim and scoring, while getting fouled. But she badly bricked the free throw and it bounced out hard and high off a couple of players' hands, eventually to a MD player who pitched it back to Benzan standing beyond the arc, who promptly drained a 3. So an effort to break a tie turned into a 5 pt play and 5 point lead from which Miami never recovered. After an exchange of free throws (2 by Reese for MD) Miami called a timeout with 51 seconds, and facing a 5 pt deficit, took a three which missed. Reese made 1 of 2 free throws making the lead 6, Miami missed another jumper, and the game turned into the usual final 30 second keep away foul fest.

Benzan and Reese each scored 5 of MD's 10 points from that 72 pt tie, but that 5 pt play changed the game and Miami never recovered.

Maryland did what they needed to do in those last 90 seconds, and Benzan drained that 3 when she needed to, but it would have been a different end game if Reese had made that free throw creating a 3 rather than 5 pt lead (or if the wild bounce had gone Miami's way).

And that's why they play the games.

That this game was this close, especially at home for Maryland, was certainly a surprise to me. I had this penciled as the most probable Big10 win in these 2 days. BTW, I really like Katie Meier. I think she is one of the best and most overlooked coaches in WCBB.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: