RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#9 Iowa @ Duke - 12/02/21

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 12/02/21 1:05 am    ::: #9 Iowa @ Duke - 12/02/21 Reply Reply with quote

Durham, NC - 9:00 PM ET
TV: ESPN (Eric Frede, Rebecca Lobo)

Video stream:
https://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=fc6ea976-2b68-4eca-a092-fe03272b4d88 (tvpli)

Audio:
https://goduke.com/showcase?Live=670

Live stats:
https://goduke.com/sidearmstats/wbball/summary

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 12/02/21 11:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
linkster

PostPosted: 12/02/21 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Worth a watch just to see Iowa's offense.

My 1st look at the new Duke coach on the sidelines.

linkster

PostPosted: 12/02/21 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wish they'd mike up the student section. They are the most entertaining crowd in wcbb.

linkster

PostPosted: 12/02/21 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

20-16 Duke after 1. Sloppy offense from both. A dozen 1st period TO's

Clark 0-4 but has had some nifty passes and 4 assists. I'm still waiting for it to start raining 3's.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/02/21 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Easiest scouting report in America if it’s not UCONN !! Slow down Clarke and. You slow down Iowa. Your not going to stop
Her but make her uncomfortable and the game is yours. Same can be said about PB and UCONN tbh. Speaks to their caliber and affect on their team .

PostPosted: 12/02/21 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The way the hype is given for certain players versus players who are clearly more talented has become very annoying but nvm I ain’t said nothing about nobody Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 12/02/21 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't remember a half of Iowa basketball (in recent years) where not a single three pointer was made.

Our offense really suffers when Czinano is not in. So that ticky tacky offense foul they called on her was a big blow.

Don't even get me started on the intentional foul they called on Clark at the end of Q2...

Other than that, Iowa still can't rebound to save our lives. Laughing

PostPosted: 12/02/21 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This Duke fan is thrilled with the first half. Duke is doing it with some great D and quick offense. Shayeane "instant offense" Day-Wilson living up to her nickname. Plus she made a great defensive play on what would have been another basket for Czinano.

#KaraEra is really here. It's been quite a drought here in Durham for some exciting women's basketball!

And yes, there were a couple of bad calls that went Duke's way...

It's a turnover-fest for both teams. Duke - 12, Iowa - 11.

But Duke up 36-28 at the half. Who'd a thunk it?

~rAf
undersized_post

PostPosted: 12/02/21 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've never seen Iowa miss so many layups... Hard to watch. Shocked

PostPosted: 12/02/21 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duke looks pretty impressive for a team that only played four games last year and was assembled over the summer.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/02/21 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So is Iowa overrated with the Clark effect? Or is Duke underrated by the lawson affect? Razz

PostPosted: 12/02/21 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clark at 1-10 on 3s? Shocked NOT good. Also, the asst/to ratios are pretty unimpressive.

PostPosted: 12/02/21 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
So is Iowa overrated with the Clark effect? Or is Duke underrated by the lawson affect? Razz

Overrated with the Clark effect, and playing poorly to boot. The worst thing about the COVID pause IMO is the missed opportunities for our depth to gain more experience.

I think we were playing like a top-10 team at the end of last season. Our defense had improved to the point where it was at least "average", and Clark's decision-making in the post season run (especially B1G tourney) was as good as I've ever seen it. Despite returning the same personnel and adding some depth, it will take some time to get back into the groove of things.

PostPosted: 12/02/21 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iowa is trying to comeback and yet they choose to keep the camera on Clark the entire possession about 70
Seconds straight wth ESPN? We get it but she’s not
The only player in this game . Hell
I’m not even convinced she’s the best player in this game right now watching Day-Wilson play in an offense that’s not just structured for her success. 19 pts on 25 shots but that won’t be a topic
Of
Discusssion. I love the kid Clark reminds me
Of Katie smith with a little
Less strength but the way ESPN focuses on specific players in the womens game is becoming obviously annoying and obnoxious .

PostPosted: 12/02/21 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can’t leave tonight without saying Tennessee’s biggest mistake was not hiring Kara Lawson. She has connections in the right places as you can see and hear verbally. Laughing Laughing Laughing If only but the bite won’t be so bad bc KJH is earning her respect slowly but slowly …yes I said that correctly!

PostPosted: 12/02/21 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting....Appalachian St and Alabama played Duke closer than Iowa!? Shocked

Yes, Kara appears to be rising up to the level expected, and deserved by Duke.
(Did TN ever offer anything to Kara?)

PostPosted: 12/02/21 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Duke looks pretty impressive for a team that only played four games last year and was assembled over the summer.

They were able to scarf Celeste Taylor from Texas. I could tell she wasn’t happy there.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
undersized_post

PostPosted: 12/02/21 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Iowa is trying to comeback and yet they choose to keep the camera on Clark the entire possession about 70
Seconds straight wth ESPN? We get it but she’s not
The only player in this game . Hell
I’m not even convinced she’s the best player in this game right now watching Day-Wilson play in an offense that’s not just structured for her success. 19 pts on 25 shots but that won’t be a topic
Of
Discusssion. I love the kid Clark reminds me
Of Katie smith with a little
Less strength but the way ESPN focuses on specific players in the womens game is becoming obviously annoying and obnoxious .

Yes to all of this --- especially the bolded part.

---

More thoughts:

Iowa's team success depends firstly on Clark being an elite facilitator, secondly on her ability to finish at the rim / slash / draw fouls, and lastly on her ability to shoot. Yes she's the best pure shooter on the team, but she's also the only one who can effectively drive the ball. When she doesn't take on that role, the team doesn't play as well.

So watching Clark go 1-13 from three yet continue to pull up farther and farther away for long, rushed shots is so frustrating to watch. I know ESPN likes to talk about her "unlimited range," but as we saw tonight... it is limited. She was getting to the basket pretty easily, shot 8-14 from 2, and had 8 assists. So I'm baffled why the coaches didn't reign her in a bit and focus on what was working. We saw glimpses, and those were the moments where Iowa made little pushes.

Of course it doesn't help when the team is missing wide open layups. Rolling Eyes Laughing Crying or Very sad

Last edited by undersized_post on 12/02/21 11:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
undersized_post

PostPosted: 12/02/21 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK one last thought-- we will probably never know, but you have to wonder who and how many Iowa players had COVID. I know it's an excuse, but this team only got one day of practice together before traveling to NC yesterday.

PostPosted: 12/03/21 1:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
OK one last thought-- we will probably never know, but you have to wonder who and how many Iowa players had COVID. I know it's an excuse, but this team only got one day of practice together before traveling to NC yesterday.

Was wondering how long it would take. As a long suffering Duke fan, it does not matter that Iowa was clearly suffering from the Covid pause. Duke still had to play to win - and they did. Duke is obviously a completely different team from the decade of bad coaching. And now everyone knows.

~rAf
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/03/21 8:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Interesting....Appalachian St and Alabama played Duke closer than Iowa!? Shocked

I don't think so. I think Tenn was looking for someone with some HC experience, and Kara had minimal coaching experience. As I understand it, she was looking for an NBA job at the time and I'm not sure there were any serious talks about her coming to Tenn. She was hired by the Celtics a few weeks after KJH was hired at Tenn.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/03/21 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Howee wrote:

I don't think so. I think Tenn was looking for someone with some HC experience, and Kara had minimal coaching experience. As I understand it, she was looking for an NBA job at the time and I'm not sure there were any serious talks about her coming to Tenn. She was hired by the Celtics a few weeks after KJH was hired at Tenn.

Kara's fine where she is. So is Kellie. Leave it alone.

PostPosted: 12/03/21 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Clark at 1-10 on 3s? Shocked NOT good. Also, the asst/to ratios are pretty unimpressive.

actually when your fantasy opponent is playing her, it's very good. At this point, looking for any positive news...

undersized_post

PostPosted: 12/03/21 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Howee wrote:

actually when your fantasy opponent is playing her, it's very good. At this point, looking for any positive news...

Laughing Laughing Laughing tbinta's 3P% is probably toast for the week, but Clark's individual asst/to ratio was fantastic-- yet another reason why I wished should was have been passing more yesterday.

PostPosted: 12/03/21 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
I've never seen Iowa miss so many layups... Hard to watch. Shocked

I don't think I saw any team miss this many layups. The time off and covid must have taken its toll.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: