RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Cayman Islands Classic Basketball Tournament

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ridor

PostPosted: 04/12/23 1:19 am    ::: Cayman Islands Classic Basketball Tournament Reply Reply with quote

There will be a new tournament in Caymans Island this coming November. I suspect it is going to be similar with Paradise Jam's two bracket format (Island and Reef Tournaments).

Joanne P. McCallie is the Executive Director of the tournament.

Among 8 teams to play in this inaugural tournament?

LSU
UConn
UCLA
Kansas
Virginia
Niagara
Tulane
Virginia Tech

This is going to be brutal tournament. I think this will benefit Virginia in the long run. Should be interesting tournament to check out!

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/12/23 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://caymanislandsclassic.com
Coyotes

PostPosted: 04/13/23 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's worth noting that UConn is NOT expected to play either LSU or Virginia Tech.

Kiki Rice and Charisma Osbourne versus Paige Bueckers and Azzi Fudd would be a fun one to watch. If UCLA somehow lands Lauren Betts - it becomes a much more intriguing game.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 04/13/23 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great field. I'm assuming it will be two pods of four teams? Otherwise it would be unusual to have two teams from the same conference (ACC).

singinerd54

PostPosted: 04/13/23 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
It's worth noting that UConn is NOT expected to play either LSU or Virginia Tech.

Mad

HomerCecil wrote:
Great field. I'm assuming it will be two pods of four teams? Otherwise it would be unusual to have two teams from the same conference (ACC).

Why would they do two pods rather than make it an actual tournament? Mad Confused

Coyotes

PostPosted: 04/13/23 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would assume the pods are:

LSU
Virginia Tech
Kansas
(Tulane or Niagara)

UConn
UCLA
Virginia
(Tulane or Niagara)

linkster

PostPosted: 04/13/23 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
Coyotes wrote:

Mad

HomerCecil wrote:

Why would they do two pods rather than make it an actual tournament? Mad Confused

An 8 team tournament would mean 3 games in 3 days. Very few play well in that third game.

singinerd54

PostPosted: 04/13/23 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
An 8 team tournament would mean 3 games in 3 days. Very few play well in that third game.

I assumed they would play each team in their pod, which would also be 3 games. No point in making pods if it's just going to be games against two other teams.

singinerd54

PostPosted: 04/13/23 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
linkster wrote:

I assumed they would play each team in their pod, which would also be 3 games. No point in making pods if it's just going to be games against two other teams.

I just looked at their website (should have done that before). The men's tournament last year was an actual tournament with 8 teams, with 3 games in 3 days. The women's event is only 2 days (the men's is again 3 Mad ), so only 2 games. As I said, no sense in making pods to play two random teams. It's also not a tournament and should not be called one.

Last edited by singinerd54 on 04/16/23 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Howee

PostPosted: 04/15/23 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:

Go NIAGARA! Cool

Hey....ya never know, til the Portal is done spinning!

PostPosted: 04/21/23 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
linkster wrote:

I just looked at their website (should have done that before). The men's tournament last year was an actual tournament with 8 teams, with 3 games in 3 days. The women's event is only 2 days (the men's is again 3 Mad ), so only 2 games. As I said, no sense in making pods to play two random teams. It's also not a tournament and should not be called one.

There are many 4 team tournaments that happen around the country, the 2 winners play for the championship and the 2 losers play for 3rd place. If they break into groups of 4 that sounds reasonable for how it can be formatted.

singinerd54

PostPosted: 04/21/23 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
There are many 4 team tournaments that happen around the country, the 2 winners play for the championship and the 2 losers play for 3rd place. If they break into groups of 4 that sounds reasonable for how it can be formatted.

Ah, that makes more/better sense. Wish they would do an "elite" division, though, and put UConn, UCLA, LSU, and Virginia Tech in the same bracket.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/21/23 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:

Ah, that makes more/better sense. Wish they would do an "elite" division, though, and put UConn, UCLA, LSU, and Virginia Tech in the same bracket.

yes! that would be great.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: