RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#1 South Carolina vs #2 Connecticut - 11/22/21
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 11/22/21 1:14 am    ::: #1 South Carolina vs #2 Connecticut - 11/22/21 Reply Reply with quote

Paradise Island, BS - 12:00 PM ET
TV: ESPN (Eric Frede, Carolyn Peck)

Video stream:
https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/b4d1a761-5494-4f49-beca-f6b0c8ee8ce6#bucketId=1 (tvpli)

Audio:
https://thevarsitynetwork.com/audioapplink/source/university-of-connecticut-:oas-1502

Live stats:
http://www.statbroadcast.com/events/tournament.php?tid=719

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/22/21 1:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has there ever been a 1 vs. 2 this early in the season?

While a close game either way, or even a double digit win by either team if one gets very hot and the other ice cold, wouldn't surprise me, I'd say a reasonable line would be S. Car. favored by 8 points.

Every player is very good on both teams -- the Gamecocks with more productive bigs, the Huskies with more productive guards. Any significant imbalance could swing the game -- 3pt shooting, FT shooting, fouls, rebounds.

The game should be at night, so more people could watch it live. Given the first sentence, why isn't it?
root_thing

PostPosted: 11/22/21 2:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

3 games in 3 days -- fatigue could be a factor. No South Carolina player has cracked 30 minutes so far, and only 3 times has anyone exceeded 25 minutes. UConn had 4 players log over 30 minutes in yesterday's game and 2 in Saturday's opener. So, minutes played seem to favor South Carolina. Also, tired legs will likely affect jump-shooters more than low post scorers. This too appears to benefit South Carolina because UConn is more dependent on perimeter shooting.

That said, I expect a close low-scoring game.

PostPosted: 11/22/21 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I expect UConn to look timid and uncertain on offense and get outrebounded by 10. I expect Azzi and Paige will be the only two looking to shoot, and particularly given her performance yesterday, Azzi will be locked down and struggle to get good shots. Paige will show up, but she won't be enough this year, and South Carolina will win by 12 after jumping out to an early lead and playing pretty close the rest of the way.

I hope I'm wrong.

root_thing

PostPosted: 11/22/21 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seniors are supposed to lead the way. This is when Williams and Westbrook need to show up. I don't expect ONO to score much, but she should at least rebound and provide some rim protection.

UConn has the big people to turn this into an ugly knockdown/drag-out fight. I would use Gabriel and DeBerry. But knowing Geno, he'll probably go small instead. Don't be surprised to see Westbrook at PF.

PostPosted: 11/22/21 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just like last year's match-up, UConn has Paige Bueckers and South Carolina doesn't.

I'll go with UConn by 8.

singinerd54

PostPosted: 11/22/21 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Seniors are supposed to lead the way. This is when Williams and Westbrook need to show up. I don't expect ONO to score much, but she should at least rebound and provide some rim protection.

Sadly, those are the two I primarily expect to look disappointingly timid and uncertain offensively (ONO, Edwards, and Juhasz have basically looked that way so far this year, so will pretty much maintain the status quo).

root_thing wrote:
UConn has the big people to turn this into an ugly knockdown/drag-out fight. I would use Gabriel and DeBerry. But knowing Geno, he'll probably go small instead. Don't be surprised to see Westbrook at PF.

Mad Mad Mad I hope you're wrong, too! (Ire directed at Geno, not you.)

On a positive note, how great that we get to see these teams play so early in the season. Relatedly, how great that we've had so many top 10 and top 25 matchups around the country so far. Too bad we couldn't have had a doubleheader on ESPN yesterday with Baylor/Maryland (to complement Texas/Tennessee).

singinerd54

PostPosted: 11/22/21 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SC taking some rushed, early shots (half of their shots have been 3s), which has led to easy transition buckets for UConn. That plays directly into UConn's hands.

Refs calling it pretty tight so far and have already become a factor. Cooke just picked up her second foul, and ONO and Boston already have one each.

Edwards pulled early and I don't expect we'll see too much of her unless there's foul trouble.

singinerd54

PostPosted: 11/22/21 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hesitate to say this (don't want to jinx anything), but ONO has been stellar defensively so far.

singinerd54

PostPosted: 11/22/21 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

14 combined turnovers, including 4 travels. Shocked Surprised As someone who usually laments the lack of travels called, I'm only sure 1 of them was a travel. Refs continuing to play a big part.

SC in a great position being down only 6 when getting outshot 67% to 39%.

singinerd54

PostPosted: 11/22/21 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Y'all are welcome for all this great analysis Laughing Having a great conversation with myself Cool

Cooke came in with two fouls with 8 mins left in the 2nd. Henderson has been guarding Paige, and that's not going well for SC. Interesting choices by Dawn.

Too many ticky-tack fouls for my liking, but feels pretty evenly called.

We're giving up too many offensive rebounds!! Mad Mad Mad Some of that is due to long shots and long rebounds, but must get better!

Thus far, impressed with Geno's game plan, many of our half court sets/execution, and ONO's performance on both defense and offense.

singinerd54

PostPosted: 11/22/21 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn has played quite well (not sure how much better they could have played*) so it's disappointing and concerning to only be up 3 at the half.

*outside of defensive rebounding. 9 offensive rebounds for SC to 10 defensive rebounds for UConn Evil or Very Mad Mad Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad Mad

Last edited by singinerd54 on 11/22/21 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hoops9092

PostPosted: 11/22/21 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First time watching Fudd. She doesn't create much and she's a step behind whenever the offensive player drives to the hoop (albeit this is against South Carolina), but I hope she isn't just a catch and shoot type player in big games.

Paige BUCKETS doing her thing. So impressed everytime I watch her.

Also, don't understand why Saniya Rivers barely plays for South Carolina and has yet to check in here. She was the #2 or #3 recruit and hasn't gotten much PT at all this season.

root_thing

PostPosted: 11/22/21 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Edwards has been terrible and it shows in her -14. Williams even, everyone else on UConn is positive. Juhasz +19.

PostPosted: 11/22/21 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:
First time watching Fudd. She doesn't create much and she's a step behind whenever the offensive player drives to the hoop (albeit this is against South Carolina), but I hope she isn't just a catch and shoot type player in big games.

Paige BUCKETS doing her thing. So impressed everytime I watch her.

Also, don't understand why Saniya Rivers barely plays for South Carolina and has yet to check in here. She was the #2 or #3 recruit and hasn't gotten much PT at all this season.

I've seen that be true for Azzi against other teams, too. She'll need to play angles better to make up for that lack of lateral quickness. Catch-and-shoot is where she's at against all opponents right now.

Rivers was sick or injured for the first couple games, so she's probably taking some time to get up to speed.

I second what root_thing said; Edwards has been pretty bad, and isn't starting the second half.

Already see Dawn's adjustments from the half. Preparing to watch her outcoach Geno. Crying or Very sad What a pathetic start to the half. McLean is first off the bench to start the second? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked She hasn't played at all this year.

The refs have decided to entirely change how they're calling the game if the first three minutes are any indication.

singinerd54

PostPosted: 11/22/21 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Three Huskies there for the defensive rebound and Beal ends up with it. Terrible.

ucbart

PostPosted: 11/22/21 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The game is coming down to rebounds. That's it.

Oh, and SC being allowed to drive and absolutely bulldoze over the defense for layups. I get one, but there has been three BLATANT charges not called. Gotta protect Ms. Precious herself, Alliyah Boston.

Howee

PostPosted: 11/22/21 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Definitely NOT a big shootout....only 4 3s from both teams combined? Shocked

PostPosted: 11/22/21 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Definitely NOT a big shootout....only 4 3s from both teams combined? Shocked

Wow, until you pointed this out and I looked at the box score, I hadn't realized UConn had only shot 4 threes.

Some of these foul calls (both ways) Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/22/21 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fun game.
Amihere is an amazing negative for SC. I don't know what the plus/minus is but hers must be a big negative.

it feels like a "we've got Bueckers and you don't" situation.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/22/21 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fudd all season has been only catch and shoot. Never a jab step toward a drive or a cut to the basket off screens as Paige does. UConn's not going to score with Muhl, McClean or Juhasz. Agree rebounds are losing it.
singinerd54

PostPosted: 11/22/21 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Amihere is an amazing negative for SC. I don't know what the plus/minus is but hers must be a big negative.

-10, worst on the team. Only two others in negatives.

We'll need to play better in the 4th than we did in the 3rd to win. Can someone besides Paige contribute offensively? Can we get a defensive rebound?

SC is shooting 47% from the floor *and* has 14 offensive rebounds. You rarely see that high a percentage with so many o-boards. They are getting the rebound from almost half of their misses. Mad

singinerd54

PostPosted: 11/22/21 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The offense has gone MIA. Haven't scored in over four minutes. Where's the ball movement and assertiveness from the first half?

We look tired and done. The lack of using the bench may well be rearing its head.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/22/21 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
The offense has gone MIA. Haven't scored in over four minutes. Where's the ball movement and assertiveness from the first half?

We look tired and done. The lack of using the bench may well be rearing its head.

Bueckers hasn't scored in 9 minutes. What happened to all these other superstars?

singinerd54

PostPosted: 11/22/21 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:

Bueckers hasn't scored in 9 minutes. What happened to all these other superstars?

What other superstars?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: