RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coaching Chairs Getting Warm....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ucbart

PostPosted: 12/17/21 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
ucbart wrote:
PG4ever wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
The flames around Tina Thompson just keep getting higher. Yesterday they lost to American, game played at UVA.

A comment I read said that American last beat a P5 team in 1998. Don't know if that's true, but if so, it's striking.

(Probably the best news in Charlottesville was that VaTech lost to Liberty the same night. Lost badly. Tough day for the ACC.)

It's gonna be a long season in C'ville. I was a big fan of Thompson's when she played but when she was named HC at UVA, I had a feeling it wouldn't work out. I was hoping it would but my gut was saying otherwise.

Tina got hired because she was Tina Thompson.

**Texas could recruit while she was there, but the team routinely underachieved. They always had boat loads of talent but didn't do much with it.

**She is from Los Angeles, played her college basketball at USC and her entire professional career was spent in Texas or the west coast.

**She has 0 ties with the east coast, experience living here, and has no networking angles here.

It was a disaster hire from the start and now Virginia reaps what they sow.

But mainly, She CAN'T COACH! I have seen her in (in)action and I can tell you that with pretty good certainty.

Yes. See * 1 in my post. Having a lot of talent and doing nothing with it is indicative of a coaching staff that sucks. Aston was terrible and so is Tina.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/10/22 8:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Virginia just lost at GA Tech, 67-31. It's not easy to only score 31 points in 40 minutes of game action. They scored 13 points, or 42% of their total, in the 1st quarter. Thus, 18 points in the last 30 minutes: 6 points in the 2nd, 5 in the 3rd quarter and 7 in the final stanza. I know they were coming off a fairly long covid break, but still. That's just not good.

okstateguy

PostPosted: 01/10/22 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
You'd have to think that Pebley's seat at TCU is getting mildly warm this year.

Especially when you have an alumni like Ashley Davis waiting in the AC ranks to be a head coach.

PostPosted: 01/10/22 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Virginia just lost at GA Tech, 67-31. It's not easy to only score 31 points in 40 minutes of game action. They scored 13 points, or 42% of their total, in the 1st quarter. Thus, 18 points in the last 30 minutes: 6 points in the 2nd, 5 in the 3rd quarter and 7 in the final stanza. I know they were coming off a fairly long covid break, but still. That's just not good.

Speaking of single-digit scoring, Tenn's defense pretty well stifled Tx A&M on Thursday, and the Aggies got 7 and 3 pts in the second and fourth qtrs, respectively. Gary Blair looked like he wished he'd retired last year.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/10/22 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:
Coyotes wrote:

Especially when you have an alumni like Ashley Davis waiting in the AC ranks to be a head coach.

Because having an alum as coach is such a recipe for success...

PostPosted: 01/10/22 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
okstateguy wrote:
Coyotes wrote:

It's TCU, that's probably the best they are going to do

PostPosted: 01/10/22 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:
pilight wrote:
okstateguy wrote:
Coyotes wrote:

Well, they DID beat (then-) ranked TX A&M, but it's not lookin' good so far. They've lost big recently, both in and out of conference.

PostPosted: 01/10/22 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:
pilight wrote:
okstateguy wrote:
Coyotes wrote:

At least Pebley had extensive head coaching experience. I don't know if Davis resume screams Big 12 head coach.

okstateguy

PostPosted: 01/10/22 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
okstateguy wrote:
pilight wrote:
okstateguy wrote:
Coyotes wrote:

At least Pebley had extensive head coaching experience. I don't know if Davis resume screams Big 12 head coach.

The issue that TCU and Kansas(and probably OK State in the next couple of years) face, is with OU and Texas leaving, they are probably going to cut the salaries of incoming coaches to match the loss of shared revenue. The strongest option is to go after people who have ties to the program or state that might be willing to take a lower pay as head coach. For TCU, Ashley Davis fits that mold. There could be others, but I'm only familar with Ashley Davis.

PostPosted: 01/11/22 7:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:
Durantula wrote:
okstateguy wrote:
pilight wrote:
okstateguy wrote:
Coyotes wrote:

The issue that TCU and Kansas(and probably OK State in the next couple of years) face, is with OU and Texas leaving, they are probably going to cut the salaries of incoming coaches to match the loss of shared revenue. The strongest option is to go after people who have ties to the program or state that might be willing to take a lower pay as head coach. For TCU, Ashley Davis fits that mold. There could be others, but I'm only familar with Ashley Davis.

If money is the issue maybe she stays for 2022-2023 season because she received an extension few years ago up until then? TCU has a lot of seniors and graduate students though so this was supposed to be a better year than next year if I had to project.

okstateguy

PostPosted: 01/11/22 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
okstateguy wrote:
Durantula wrote:
okstateguy wrote:
pilight wrote:
okstateguy wrote:
Coyotes wrote:

If money is the issue maybe she stays for 2022-2023 season because she received an extension few years ago up until then? TCU has a lot of seniors and graduate students though so this was supposed to be a better year than next year if I had to project.

If they are going to let someone go, this is the year to do it when you are for certain what the revenue sharing will be. That's why I'd like to see Littell go ahead and step away from OK State as well. That said, revenue sharing is expected to drop an estimated 10-16 million per team once OU/Texas step away, so obviously all future hires will have their salaries impacted regardless.

PostPosted: 01/14/22 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lindsey Whalen

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/14/22 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
Lindsey Whalen

The problem with hiring a local legend is that you can't fire a local legend.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/14/22 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
Lindsey Whalen

Purdue did. Twice.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Howee

PostPosted: 01/14/22 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
Lindsey Whalen

I don't follow MN closely at all....is it a case of Lindsey just doesn't have the chops to coach, or is she not getting decent recruits? (Or both?)

PostPosted: 01/14/22 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
Lindsey Whalen

I don't follow MN closely at all....is it a case of Lindsey just doesn't have the chops to coach, or is she not getting decent recruits? (Or both?)

She had zero coaching experience at any level, so she was set up to disappoint, unless experience is unimportant in head coaching. It’s on the job training for her. Hard to say if she has any coaching acumen. Most high level coaches have high charisma, which she sorely lacks.

Supposedly she has the best recruiting class Minnesota has ever had (based on high school talent evaluator numbers, which can be off) coming up next year. They’re all Minnesotans, so it’ll be interesting to see how that plays out.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/15/22 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
Lindsey Whalen

Purdue did. Twice.

What local legend did they fire? Versyp retired. She wasn't even forced out when she did as she still had the year ahead of her.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/16/22 12:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
Lindsey Whalen

Purdue did. Twice.

What local legend did they fire? Versyp retired. She wasn't even forced out when she did as she still had the year ahead of her.

Versyp was no Purdue legend. She played at Purdue, but wouldn't be among the top 25 players for the program. Gearlds was a much better player, but she is no Whalen. The Purdue corrolary would be Steph White, and I think it is a darn good thing that Purdue didn't hire her like a lot of fans wanted.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/17/22 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
Lindsey Whalen

Purdue did. Twice.

Versyp was no Purdue legend. She played at Purdue, but wouldn't be among the top 25 players for the program. Gearlds was a much better player, but she is no Whalen. The Purdue corrolary would be Steph White, and I think it is a darn good thing that Purdue didn't hire her like a lot of fans wanted.

Thus my question posed to ex-ref...

eibln

PostPosted: 01/20/22 4:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Why Kevin McGuff isn't on the list is also beyond me. Surely his chair is getting a teensy bit warm?

Why exactly should McGuff be on the hot seat? He has done a pretty decent job with OSU. I normally don’t defend Ohio State being a Michigan fan and all but I have respect for McGuff, he has done alright.

eibln

PostPosted: 01/20/22 4:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nicki Collen is already heading in the wrong direction at Baylor. Coaching level and intensity is not nearly as good. Recruiting is basically a flop so far. I have been a Mulkey fan for a long time and hoped her replacement at Baylor would be a good one, but I don’t ever see Baylor getting back to that level with Collen. Baylor really screwed up by letting Mulkey walk, should have listened to her. There were better options than Collen too, but it felt like Baylor never looked. Collen could be out in just a few years the way she is going.

okstateguy

PostPosted: 01/20/22 6:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eibln wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Why Kevin McGuff isn't on the list is also beyond me. Surely his chair is getting a teensy bit warm?

Why exactly should McGuff be on the hot seat? He has done a pretty decent job with OSU. I normally don’t defend Ohio State being a Michigan fan and all but I have respect for McGuff, he has done alright.

I think because they got rid of Foster because he was producing the results McGuff has produced his entire tenure there. Not sure if the standard of moving up in the WBB world is still as important as it was a decade ago though

PostPosted: 01/20/22 6:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eibln wrote:
Nicki Collen is already heading in the wrong direction at Baylor. Coaching level and intensity is not nearly as good. Recruiting is basically a flop so far. I have been a Mulkey fan for a long time and hoped her replacement at Baylor would be a good one, but I don’t ever see Baylor getting back to that level with Collen. Baylor really screwed up by letting Mulkey walk, should have listened to her. There were better options than Collen too, but it felt like Baylor never looked. Collen could be out in just a few years the way she is going.

She's actually not recruiting terribly. She has a 5* wing, 4* wing, and 4* post signed, and most likely is going to hunt the portal for more guards. Allegedly, Lewis and Asberry are both coming back next year.

I think her biggest knock is there's never been proof she's a good coach. Most of her coaching experience is from her husband throwing her on staff. Her head coaching gig did not show much potential except when McCoughtry was carrying the team. Even with that, those that team was by no means as dominant as their record. Being vocally liberal at a pretty conservative school ran by a very conservative denomination isn't going to help her out any. Like you, I don't expect her to last all that long.

PostPosted: 01/20/22 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eibln wrote:

She's got Holly Warlick syndrome. Following a legend, no proven head coaching expertise, loss of intensity, all in a program with high expectations. I hope it doesn't take Baylor as long to move on as it did Tenn.

Howee

PostPosted: 01/20/22 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:
eibln wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I think because they got rid of Foster because he was producing the results McGuff has produced his entire tenure there. Not sure if the standard of moving up in the WBB world is still as important as it was a decade ago though

Yeah, Foster had some highly-ranked teams during his tenure in Columbus, and was Big Ten COY 4 times. After the first year the Buckeyes DIDN'T make the NCAA tourney, they let him go. McGuff has not been an improvement: in his ninth season (Foster had 11 there), his winning percentage is below Foster's. I'd say McGuff's seat 'getting warm' is reasonable.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: