RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coaching Chairs Getting Warm....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 11/24/21 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eibln wrote:
Amy Williams at Nebraska.

I don't see this one. She has a decent .448 record in B1G play in her 5 seasons, which is better than Fahey's dreadful .088, Carolyn Kieger's .189, Whalen's .389 and even Joe McKeown's .423 records; and this year's squad looks like it could be the best of her tanure. Unless they totally implode, I think she's safe for now.

For me, the hottest seats SHOULD be (<.400 conference record in 4> seasons):
Nancy Fahey - Illinois - .088 in 4
Brandon Schneider - Kansas - .125 in 6
Jen Hoover - Wake Forest - .300 in 10
JR Payne - Colorado - .284 in 5
Kristy Curry - Alabama - .359 in 8
Lynne Roberts - Utah - .367 in 6

There are a lot of coaches with bad records and 3 or less seasons under their belt that need to turn it around now in order to stay out of that group.

PostPosted: 11/26/21 7:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Stormeo"

The only other Pac coach who legitimately should be on the hot seat, as discussed starting from here down through the rest of the page, is ASU's Charli Turner Thorne. But people have said that that's not gonna happen anytime soon, even if it arguably should've happened by now. From how the Sun Devils have done so far this year, I'm not seeing them being a Tourney-bound team this year, or really anytime soon.[/quote]

Their loss to Houston won't help her case. I'm happy for Ron Hughey, but this isn't a game ASU expected to lose.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 11/28/21 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Virginia continues to fall, losing to Richmond today.

Howee

PostPosted: 11/28/21 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:

A bit sad for long-timers like us, who can remember when VA (ODU, Vandy, Rutgers, et.al.) were significant powerhouses.

PostPosted: 11/28/21 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:

It was on the ACC Network. Watched a little of it. Suffice it to say, UVA looked bad.

The fans hate Tina Thompson, with good reason, and there is a lot of complaining that she's already packed it in and isn't seriously recruiting or anything else. I have no idea if those complaints are accurate or not. Unlikely they'll fire her mid season, but I'll be surprised if she's still coach next year.

The administration thought they'd make a splash by hiring a big name hall of famer without worrying a bit about whether she could coach. It hasn’t worked out.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 11/29/21 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, it seems like they just fell off a cliff. That's a school that has a LOT going for it (ie, quality of education, beautiful campus, location, conference affiliation, etc). It shouldn't be too difficult to recruit there I wouldn't think

Durantula

PostPosted: 11/29/21 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

It was on the ACC Network. Watched a little of it. Suffice it to say, UVA looked bad.

The fans hate Tina Thompson, with good reason, and there is a lot of complaining that she's already packed it in and isn't seriously recruiting or anything else. I have no idea if those complaints are accurate or not. Unlikely they'll fire her mid season, but I'll be surprised if she's still coach next year.

The administration thought they'd make a splash by hiring a big name hall of famer without worrying a bit about whether she could coach. It hasn’t worked out.

Didn't she just bring in a bunch of transfers and not sign a single 2022 recruit? High school recruiting takes time and effort so maybe she punted on that and saw the portal as a quick fix, but the fix isn't working.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/29/21 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

Didn't she just bring in a bunch of transfers and not sign a single 2022 recruit? High school recruiting takes time and effort so maybe she punted on that and saw the portal as a quick fix, but the fix isn't working.

There is one freshman on the team. There is not one single recruit so far for 2022. As for the transfers, well, I saw this team in action. There is one post player who is pretty good. She does most of the scoring. The backcourt appeared to be trying to coach themselves with very little success, as in, they didn't know WTF they were doing if they couldn't pass to Camryn Taylor inside. Period. The PG might be good with a little coaching. But what does Tina do? Not much as far as I can tell.

PostPosted: 11/29/21 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

Marquette had 2 players transfer to Virginia - their Taylor combo as I called them - Camryn Taylor and Taylor Valladay. Cam Taylor was a player who I thought was a promising post player if she could ever figure out how to avoid foul trouble. Valladay got a lot more PT last season as she was healed more from a knee injury in high school and stood to get a lot of PT at MU this season.

shontay33

PostPosted: 11/30/21 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

This is the trend to bring in a bunch of transfers. Kind of like throwing stuff at a wall and seeing what sticks. It may work for some programs but in most cases not. A coach is taking a flyer on a transfer. At least with a hs player, they know if they fit in the system.

Unfortunately, Tina and a lot of other coaches may end up loosing their jobs after this season.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/30/21 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
Durantula wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

This is the trend to bring in a bunch of transfers. Kind of like throwing stuff at a wall and seeing what sticks. It may work for some programs but in most cases not. A coach is taking a flyer on a transfer. At least with a hs player, they know if they fit in the system.

Unfortunately, Tina and a lot of other coaches may end up loosing their jobs after this season.

Tina might need to go the way of Nikki Fargas and become the figurehead president of something. Or a TV sports commentator. She sure can't coach. Or recruit.

PostPosted: 11/30/21 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MY COACHING CAROUSEL
- Florida: Karl Smesko (Florida-Gulf Coast to Florida)
- Houston: Mark Kellogg (Stephen F. Austin to Houston)
- Illinois:
- Kansas: Nikki Fargas: (to Kansas)
- Mississippi State: Melanie Balcomb (to Mississippi State)
- Rutgers: Shea Ralph (Vanderbilt to Rutgers)
- Southern Mississippi: Tomekia Reed (Jackson State to Southern Mississippi)
- Syracuse: Felicia Legette-Jack (Buffalo to Syracuse)
- Texas A&M: Kelly Bond-White (associate head coach to head coach)
- Vanderbilt: Bart Brooks (Belmont to Vanderbilt)
- Virginia: Amaka Agugua-Hamilton (Missouri State for Virginia)

Last edited by basketballologist on 11/30/21 7:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
pilight

PostPosted: 11/30/21 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Poor Tomekia Reed doesn't even get a last name

PostPosted: 11/30/21 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

lol my bad. She's big time tho. She has won 3 SWAC championships in her 4 years there.

basketballologist

PostPosted: 11/30/21 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
pilight wrote:

lol my bad. She's big time tho. She has won 3 SWAC championships in her 4 years there.

She might mess around and get that Mississippi State job. But I think the SEC women black coaches has messed that up for her.

pilight

PostPosted: 11/30/21 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
pilight wrote:

She might mess around and get that Mississippi State job. But I think the SEC women black coaches has messed that up for her.

It's a big jump from the SWAC to the SEC. Southern Miss is a more realistic move.

PostPosted: 11/30/21 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Others to Watch For:
- Karen Barefoot, North Carolina-Wilmington
- Darnell Haney, Jacksonville
- Velaida Harris, Weber State
- Jen Hoover, Wake Forest
- JR Payne, Colorado
- Semeka Randall-Lay, Winthrop
- Brandon Schneider, Kansas
- Charmin Smith, Cal-Berkeley
- Stacie Terry-Hutson, San Diego State

PG4ever

PostPosted: 11/30/21 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
pilight wrote:

What does "I think the SEC women black coaches has messed that up for her" mean? Please elaborate/explain.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/01/21 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
Others to Watch For:
- Karen Barefoot, North Carolina-Wilmington
- Darnell Haney, Jacksonville
- Velaida Harris, Weber State
- Jen Hoover, Wake Forest
- JR Payne, Colorado
- Semeka Randall-Lay, Winthrop
- Brandon Schneider, Kansas
- Charmin Smith, Cal-Berkeley
- Stacie Terry-Hutson, San Diego State

Karen Barefoot is someone else who can't coach. She damn near killed ODU before going to UNCW, and so far has failed to resurrect that dormant program. She's the kiss of death.

PostPosted: 12/01/21 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
pilight wrote:

What does "I think the SEC women black coaches has messed that up for her" mean? Please elaborate/explain.

I am a African American male. But the African American females in the SEC has done a poor job.

- Flournoy (Auburn)
- Elzy (Kentucky)
- Fargas (LSU)
- McPhee (Ole Miss)
- McCray (Mississippi State)

Let's just call a spade a spade.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/01/21 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
PG4ever wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
pilight wrote:

I am a African American male. But the African American females in the SEC has done a poor job.

- Flournoy (Auburn)
- Elzy (Kentucky)
- Fargas (LSU)
- McPhee (Ole Miss)

I'm sure there's an exception...

PostPosted: 12/01/21 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

can a moderator take care of this mess? ^

PostPosted: 12/01/21 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
PG4ever wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
pilight wrote:

- Flournoy (Auburn)
- Elzy (Kentucky)
- Fargas (LSU)
- McPhee (Ole Miss)

You conveniently left out Staley and Taylor. Coach Yo has had Ole Miss on an upward trajectory since she arrived. McCray had one season before she had to leave due to health issues. As AC, Kyra Elzy was part of Mitchell's success at Kentucky and posted an 18-9 record in her first year as HC. Flournoy had several successful seasons at Auburn before her last two got her canned. Fargas never lived up to expectations but had 6 NCAAT appearances and 2 S16's in her time there.

Overall, I don't think the body of evidence supports your premise.

basketballologist

PostPosted: 12/01/21 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
PG4ever wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
pilight wrote:

- Flournoy (Auburn)
- Elzy (Kentucky)
- Fargas (LSU)
- McPhee (Ole Miss)

You conveniently left out Staley and Taylor. Coach Yo has had Ole Miss on an upward trajectory since she arrived. McCray had one season before she had to leave due to health issues. As AC, Kyra Elzy was part of Mitchell's success at Kentucky and posted an 18-9 record in her first year as HC. Flournoy had several successful seasons at Auburn before her last two got her canned. Fargas never lived up to expectations but had 6 NCAAT appearances and 2 S16's in her time there.

That's your opinion. McCray had MSU going downward! So does Elzy at Kentucky! Flournoy was garbage! Yo is trending up but they still aren't living up to expectations! And let's not get on Fargas. So yeah, I said what I said...

Curry (Alabama), Pingeton (Missouri), Harper (Tennessee), Ralph (Vanderbilt) has done a superb job at their programs, respectively.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 12/01/21 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
PG4ever wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
pilight wrote:

- Flournoy (Auburn)
- Elzy (Kentucky)
- Fargas (LSU)
- McPhee (Ole Miss)

That's your opinion. McCray had MSU going downward! So does Elzy at Kentucky! Flournoy was garbage! Yo is trending up but they still aren't living up to expectations! And let's not get on Fargas. So yeah, I said what I said...

Curry (Alabama), Pingeton (Missouri), Harper (Tennessee), Ralph (Vanderbilt) has done a superb job at their programs, respectively.

Uhhh……What are you drinking?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: