RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coaching Chairs Getting Warm....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
okstateguy

PostPosted: 03/05/22 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

funkdafied wrote:
According to a Tulsa World story from earlier this week, Jim Littell is already planning for the 2022-23 season. How sad for Oklahoma State.

Littell said he plans to look outside the program for experience and scoring to fix the mess he’s created. His goal is to hit the portal hard and hope he can find a scorer to carry the program for a season or two.

His roster will be full of juniors and seniors next season. But Littell’s program lacks player development, so he’s given up on his current roster.

He’s 92-105 in the Big 12 in 11 seasons at OSU. The Cowgirls play at Texas tomorrow. So I expect him to be 92-106 after that.

I apologize for the negative tone of this post. But I’m just stating facts, and I’m so tired of the Jim Littell era. Sad

I'm interested to see how many people will transfer after this year. Seems like there are several who dont seem pleased with their sharp decreases in playing time this year

PostPosted: 03/06/22 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Worst Power 5 Conference Records, Minimum 4 Seasons

1. Nancy Fahey - Illinois - .085 in 5 seasons *Retired*
2. Lance White - Pitt - .119 in 4 seasons
3. Brandon Schneider - Kansas - .197 in 7 seasons
4. Yolett McPhee-McGuin - Ole Miss - .274 in 4 seasons
5. Jen Hoover - Wake Forest - .291 in 11 seasons
6. Amanda Butler - Clemson - .294 in 6 seasons
7. JR Payne - Colorado - .320 in 6 seasons
8. Kristy Curry - Alabama - .361 in 9 seasons
9. Lynne Roberts - .387 in 7 seasons
10. Kamie Ethridge - Washington State - .389 in 4 seasons
Linday Whalen - Minnesota - .389 in 4 seasons

Half of these coaches probably bought themselves at least another year after relatively over-achieving this season. I expect there to me much less turnover than last season due to that, but Pitt and Illinois NEED to move on and their ADs should be fired if they're not. Those two programs are complete garbage. Honestly I would say the same for Kansas if they hadn't had such a good year. Wake, Alabama and Clemson really should move on, IMO. I would say likelihood is about in that order. Utah and Washington State seem to be on the rise, Minnesota's got that recruiting class coming in, so they're all safe. Colorado and Ole Miss are going to have to hit the transfer portal HARD in order to stay relevant moving forward.

Edit: Just saw in the other thread that Fahey retired.

PostPosted: 03/06/22 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fahey has already announced her retirement, so one presumes Illinois will move on. Would it surprise me if they managed not to notice they didn’t have a head coach? Not necessarily.

(now with spelling variations)
UK1996

PostPosted: 03/06/22 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Elzy who I thought might be getting a little warm a month ago (But would still probably get more time), will now have to use her Conference championship bonus to buy a heating pad to sit on.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/07/22 7:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whalen is getting a one-year extension. https://www.startribune.com/gophers-give-lindsay-whalen-one-year-contract-extension-pending-regents-approval/600152966/

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/07/22 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has Butler seriously taken no action? They had all of 1 win this season and had no wins in the Big East which isn't that strong a league even right now.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 03/07/22 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Has Butler seriously taken no action? They had all of 1 win this season and had no wins in the Big East which isn't that strong a league even right now.

Speaks to Butler's commitment to women's basketball, unfortunately. I think you could probably lump Georgetown, Providence and Xavier in the same boat.

Durantula

PostPosted: 03/07/22 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

Speaks to Butler's commitment to women's basketball, unfortunately. I think you could probably lump Georgetown, Providence and Xavier in the same boat.

Xavier's new coach is just in her 3rd year. don't think you can lump new coaches like that and compare it to schools that have the same coach for a long time and continuously lose when you say which ones don't care. 3 years is too fast to fire a coach short of NCAA violations.

Some schools, or maybe it comes from the league office, request that coaching changes aren't made until after the conference tournament is over anyways, so lets see what happens after Big East has finished.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 03/07/22 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

Xavier's new coach is just in her 3rd year. don't think you can lump new coaches like that and compare it to schools that have the same coach for a long time and continuously lose when you say which ones don't care. 3 years is too fast to fire a coach short of NCAA violations.

I didn't say Moore should be fired. I was saying that I don't think Xavier is committed to its program. They held on to Brian Neal (now a Butler assistant, oddly enough) for too many years while the program cratered. Melanie Moore deserves more time, but her two leading scorers were dismissed from the team last month, so they'll be young and inexperienced (again), but hopefully seven players don't transfer out as happened last season.

And, good point in that Butler might just be waiting a few days to make an announcement.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/07/22 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
Durantula wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

I didn't say Moore should be fired. I was saying that I don't think Xavier is committed to its program. They held on to Brian Neal (now a Butler assistant, oddly enough) for too many years while the program cratered. Melanie Moore deserves more time, but her two leading scorers were dismissed from the team last month, so they'll be young and inexperienced (again), but hopefully seven players don't transfer out as happened last season.

And, good point in that Butler might just be waiting a few days to make an announcement.

Yeah I guess it was just late Friday afternoon Butler's season technically ended. I just really hope they take action as Butler was so bad this season.

funkdafied

PostPosted: 03/07/22 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jim Littell is out at Oklahoma State. Just announced.

https://twitter.com/codynagel247/status/1500953457657847814?s=21

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/07/22 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

funkdafied wrote:

Damn... they didn't even wait until they got bounced from the Big 12 tournament to announce.

PostPosted: 03/07/22 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

funkdafied wrote:

I'd given up hope following his recent interview, but I'm glad the decision was made! Whatever they do, I'm hoping they get someone who can recruit and build a staff to develop, because there is some potential to be tapped in the core of this team(which I don't see transferring)

PostPosted: 03/07/22 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:
funkdafied wrote:

I'd given up hope following his recent interview, but I'm glad the decision was made! Whatever they do, I'm hoping they get someone who can recruit and build a staff to develop, because there is some potential to be tapped in the core of this team(which I don't see transferring)

Do you have any ideas on who you'd like to see OK State go with?

okstateguy

PostPosted: 03/07/22 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
okstateguy wrote:
funkdafied wrote:

Do you have any ideas on who you'd like to see OK State go with?

The new AD has had less than a year, so hard to guess on what traits they will be looking for in a hire. One candidate that I think could be considered without head coaching experience is Lacey Goldwire. Oklahoma native, has ties to the OSU program, has worked under 3 strong coaches, and known for recruiting, development, and defensive strategy. Without knowing any details or history to use as clues, that's the only name that comes to mind immediately

PostPosted: 03/07/22 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You’d have to think that Mark Kellog at SFA would get a hard look at by Tamu and OK State or even ASU.

okstateguy

PostPosted: 03/07/22 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
You’d have to think that Mark Kellog at SFA would get a hard look at by Tamu and OK State or even ASU.

I'm guessing they will reach out to Kellog, Amaka Agugua-Hamilton, Shereka Wright, probably some JUCO coaches, and former assistants like Ashley Davis and Lacey Goldwire. I know of several fans on sites have already hinted at Agugua-Hamilton, but I'd personally like to see if she can succeed without Harper's recruits.

I would be fine with Kellogg if he hires a P5 level recruiter. With Dr Shrum as President, and a lack of women coaches, my gut tells me the hire will be a woman.

PostPosted: 03/07/22 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Whalen is getting a one-year extension. https://www.startribune.com/gophers-give-lindsay-whalen-one-year-contract-extension-pending-regents-approval/600152966/

Quote:
Her four seasons at the helm of the team have not yet produced an NCAA tournament bid. But the extension shows Coyle's belief the program is headed in the right direction, a feeling Whalen echoed.

…Based on what? And yes, I’ve seen the heralded recruiting class for next year.

Imo an extension certainly could’ve waited a year to see if she’s getting the ship righted on the court, where it counts. Didn’t happen this year.

LitePal

PostPosted: 03/07/22 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

An extension could also be window dressing so she can still recruit. If the players all know she's a lame duck coach, she has no chance. But with an extension, she can still go out and offer players the chance to be coached by Lindsay Whalen. The school can see if she can recruit a second good class and make their decision based on that and her on court performance.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/07/22 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Her contract before the extension already ran through the 2023-24 season, two seasons after this one. I could only believe her to be a “lame duck” if she was entering the final year of her deal without an extension, but her contract certainly hadn’t reached that point yet. Granted, prospective student-athletes may not see it that way these days.

It may only be a one-year extension, but if things continue to fail to meet expectations next season on the court, that’s just another year the AD is woefully committed to her financially… but to each their own, I guess. I wonder how supporters of the program feel about this extension including/or at least the timing of it.

okstateguy

PostPosted: 03/09/22 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Her contract before the extension already ran through the 2023-24 season, two seasons after this one. I could only believe her to be a “lame duck” if she was entering the final year of her deal without an extension, but her contract certainly hadn’t reached that point yet. Granted, prospective student-athletes may not see it that way these days.

It may only be a one-year extension, but if things continue to fail to meet expectations next season on the court, that’s just another year the AD is woefully committed to her financially… but to each their own, I guess. I wonder how supporters of the program feel about this extension including/or at least the timing of it.

Coyle was an associate AD at Minnesota when Whalen and her husband her both athletes there. Could this extension potentially be a way to get her more money if they fire her following next season?

PostPosted: 03/11/22 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I could see Keitha Adams now being on the hot seat at Wichita State with another homegrown coach like Jim Littell now available.

PostPosted: 03/12/22 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:
Coyle was an associate AD at Minnesota when Whalen and her husband her both athletes there. Could this extension potentially be a way to get her more money if they fire her following next season?

Interesting. That’d be a bit on the scandalous side, wouldn’t it. But still, this extension is just so unconventionally timed… although “unconventional” is also a word I’d use to describe Whalen’s coaching ever since the “body language” suspension thing came up a couple years ago.

Coyotes

PostPosted: 03/12/22 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sam Purcell (Louisville) to StarkVegas.

https://www.vicksburgpost.com/2022/03/12/mississippi-state-hires-purcell-as-next-womens-basketball-coach/

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/13/22 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
Sam Purcell (Louisville) to StarkVegas.

https://www.vicksburgpost.com/2022/03/12/mississippi-state-hires-purcell-as-next-womens-basketball-coach/

He should really lose that bow tie. Sheesh!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: