RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NCAA Tournament expanded to 68 teams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 11/17/21 6:08 pm    ::: NCAA Tournament expanded to 68 teams Reply Reply with quote

https://theathletic.com/news/womens-ncaa-tournament-expanded-to-68-teams-selection-monday-moved-to-sunday/fg5AAH8TpeC7/

Quote:
The council also approved moving the unveiling of the tournament bracket, previously called "Selection Monday," to Sunday, March 13. That day is also when the men's tournament bracket, which also features 68 teams, will be revealed.

PostPosted: 11/17/21 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, we'll get five minutes for the Women's Bracket reveal and NO analysis on Selection Sunday because we'll be too busy talking about the men's tournament reveal? It might only work if the Women get revealed first and then the men get revealed several hours later.

I'm not sure how I'd feel as a 16 seed having to play a play in game. Utah Valley State vs. Mercer? High Point vs. North Carolina A&T? This also means that a team like Troy that almost knocked off Texas A&M in the first round might have to play say, NC State in the first round instead. In years with a weak bubble like last year, it's hard to say that we need two more teams making the tournament off the bubble. If I recall correctly, last years first four out included Central Florida, Ole Miss, Colorado and Houston. I'm not really sold that we needed any of those teams in the tournament, but yay for more teams that get to go dancing?

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 11/17/21 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/30423107/ncaa-women-bracketology-2022-women-college-basketball-projections

Charlie’s on it. Or, more likely off it.

He has NDSU as automatic qualifier for Summit league. Ahead of both SoDak schools? Ummmm, I don’t think so.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 11/17/21 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
So, we'll get five minutes for the Women's Bracket reveal and NO analysis on Selection Sunday because we'll be too busy talking about the men's tournament reveal? It might only work if the Women get revealed first and then the men get revealed several hours later.

Good points. I wonder if this would even be possible because some conferences (can't remember which ones) play their conference tournament championship on Sunday afternoon just hours before the selection show. I'm not even sure it would even leave enough waking time to stagger the reveals and provide equitable time for analysis in between.

PostPosted: 11/17/21 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:

When it was on Sunday before the women were scheduled at 7:00 and the men at 8:00. However there was almost always a men's conference final that ran long and cut into the women's hour.

In any event, the expanded field makes this move necessary.

PostPosted: 11/17/21 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/30423107/ncaa-women-bracketology-2022-women-college-basketball-projections

Charlie’s on it. Or, more likely off it.

He has NDSU as automatic qualifier for Summit league. Ahead of both SoDak schools? Ummmm, I don’t think so.

If I recall correctly, he's always done the automatic qualifier as whoever has the best record in the preseason -- and who is leading the conference at this juncture in the season instead of who he thinks will end up with the bid. North Dakota State at 1-1 has the best record in the conference at the moment, which is why they are listed.

pilight

PostPosted: 11/17/21 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't realize it had been so long since the women's bracket reveal was moved to Monday. The last time it was Sunday was 2005!

PostPosted: 11/17/21 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I didn't realize it had been so long since the women's bracket reveal was moved to Monday. The last time it was Sunday was 2005!

I was thinking it had been at least 10 years but hadn't realized it had been that long either.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 11/17/21 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:

I see what you're saying but I don't really feel like they do much analysis of the Women's Bracket right now. It still feels like they do more fluff pieces than actual analysis for Women's Basketball. I'd take a 5-10 minute selection show where they just show the brackets Smile

Coyotes

PostPosted: 11/17/21 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Coyotes wrote:

I see what you're saying but I don't really feel like they do much analysis of the Women's Bracket right now. It still feels like they do more fluff pieces than actual analysis for Women's Basketball. I'd take a 5-10 minute selection show where they just show the brackets Smile

Fair enough, and then we can all analyze them to death here and vote for the newest rendition of the infamous Harvard upset or the Troy near miss that should have been.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/17/21 11:27 pm    ::: Re: NCAA Tournament expanded to 68 teams Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://theathletic.com/news/womens-ncaa-tournament-expanded-to-68-teams-selection-monday-moved-to-sunday/fg5AAH8TpeC7/

Quote:
The council also approved moving the unveiling of the tournament bracket, previously called "Selection Monday," to Sunday, March 13. That day is also when the men's tournament bracket, which also features 68 teams, will be revealed.

I hate both of these moves. A lot.

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/18/21 12:05 am    ::: Re: NCAA Tournament expanded to 68 teams Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

I hate both of these moves. A lot.

Co-signed. Having the selection shows on different days made more sense. If anything, switch the men to Monday so they don't have to mess around with contingency brackets due to the Big Ten(?) title game.

PostPosted: 11/18/21 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ugh. I hate this. It sucks big time.

PostPosted: 11/18/21 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another hater here. I don't see that adding four teams does anything to improve the tournament, and I have no doubt that coverage of the women's selection show will be compromised.

pilight

PostPosted: 11/18/21 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't object to adding more teams. D-I has expanded over 20% since the last tournament expansion. The committee just needs to get out of the mindset of adding more .500-ish P5 teams instead of top mid-majors.

Moving the selection show to Sunday is an inevitable consequence of that. They'll need the extra day to handle the logistics of starting a day earlier.

PostPosted: 11/18/21 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Moving the selection show to Sunday is an inevitable consequence of that. They'll need the extra day to handle the logistics of starting a day earlier.

How do you figure? Here is how the men's works:

Selection Sunday
First Four - Tues & Wed
First Round - Thurs & Fri
Second Round - Sat & Sun

The women currently have selection Monday with games beginning on Fri/Sun & Sat/Mon. They could easily have gone with the men's model with nothing changing but the addition of 4 games on Wed & Thurs:

Selection Monday
First Four - Wed & Thurs
First Round - Fri & Sat
Second Round - Sun & Mon

There is absolutely no need to put the selection show on Sunday. They should have just left it on Monday.

pilight

PostPosted: 11/18/21 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The men's site is predetermined. The women are playing at campus sites that aren't known until the bracket reveal.

PostPosted: 11/18/21 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can someone explain why the play-ins are for two 11 seeds and two 16 seeds instead of being consistant? I know it's always been done like this on the men's side, but it really doesn't make sense to me. First off, it's not fair to the two 16 seeds that don't get to play a 1 seed after all their hard work. But if all the play in games were for the 11 seeds than it would be more of a "Bubble-Buster" mini tournament which would be fun in itself and much more equitable to Mid-Major conferences, who might get an opportunity through a play in game that they might not get in the traditional seedings. Either way the end result is the exact same: 4 more at large bids, probably for mediocre Power 5 schools that should go to good Mid-Major teams. Pretty fucking useless at the end of the day IMO.

PostPosted: 11/18/21 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess I'm the odd one out, but I like the move back to a Sunday selection show.

IMO, as someone who watches both men's and women's basketball, I always thought moving the women to Monday made them seem like more of an afterthought. I don't think the Monday selection show got the women any more attention than having it on Sunday did. Yes, coordination so that a men's conference tournament game bleeding into overtime doesn't mean the women's show gets cut short, but I think having both on the same day is fun.

Fully willing to admit this is just my personal preference, though.

Howee

PostPosted: 11/18/21 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Ugh. I hate this. It sucks big time.

All of THIS. ^ Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: 11/18/21 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Can someone explain why the play-ins are for two 11 seeds and two 16 seeds instead of being consistant? I know it's always been done like this on the men's side, but it really doesn't make sense to me. First off, it's not fair to the two 16 seeds that don't get to play a 1 seed after all their hard work. But if all the play in games were for the 11 seeds than it would be more of a "Bubble-Buster" mini tournament which would be fun in itself and much more equitable to Mid-Major conferences, who might get an opportunity through a play in game that they might not get in the traditional seedings. Either way the end result is the exact same: 4 more at large bids, probably for mediocre Power 5 schools that should go to good Mid-Major teams. Pretty fucking useless at the end of the day IMO.

It hasn’t always been that way for the men. Iirc it was because when they started play in games with the men, taking just the lowest seeds was criticized as annually screwing minor conferences, and in particular, HBCUs, so they changed it to include both low rated conference champs and at large teams.

I'm almost always in favor of more games to watch, and of giving more players the experience of playing in the tournaments.

And let me know at the end of this season what mid major teams, based on actual record, schedule and performance rather than romanticism, are more deserving than any at large power conference team that gets a bid. If the goal is the to get the best teams, minor conferences get a break rather than a penalty in the current system.

BTW, the origin of these games was not to add at large teams, but to make room for a new conference that resulted iirc from the split of a western mid major conference into two. They did not want to shrink the number of at large bids to make room for another auto bid.

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 11/18/21 6:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 11/18/21 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DUMB DUMB DUMB

mikeyc22

PostPosted: 11/18/21 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
I guess I'm the odd one out, but I like the move back to a Sunday selection show.

IMO, as someone who watches both men's and women's basketball, I always thought moving the women to Monday made them seem like more of an afterthought. I don't think the Monday selection show got the women any more attention than having it on Sunday did. Yes, coordination so that a men's conference tournament game bleeding into overtime doesn't mean the women's show gets cut short, but I think having both on the same day is fun.

Fully willing to admit this is just my personal preference, though.

Agreed. I like both on the same night.

Phil

PostPosted: 11/20/21 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:

I don't believe it has always been that way for the men. I don't follow them closely and too lazy to look it up but I think they started with all playins for the 16 seeds, got some push back and switch to the 2 16's and 2 11's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: