RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Where is....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howee

PostPosted: 02/15/22 11:46 pm    ::: Where is.... Reply Reply with quote

....Clay Kallam?

Anybody seen him around at all?

PostPosted: 02/16/22 12:29 am    ::: Re: Where is.... Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
....Clay Kallam?

I think he gave on this board. He's active on other boards I frequent, getting disagreed with by less pessimistic people.
Howee

PostPosted: 02/16/22 12:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you. I thought it had been a long while since I'd seen him around. Can you name some of the other boards you've seen him be active, and is he still coaching?

PostPosted: 02/16/22 3:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One site he checks in on periodically is WBBDaily, where a few of us also are.

tfan

PostPosted: 02/16/22 9:12 am    ::: Re: Where is.... Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
....Clay Kallam?

Silky Johnson gave him some grief or boorishness on the WNBA board and when ClayK let him know he was offended Johnson came back the next day and said something like "I'm good with what I said". ClayK also said something like "should I stop posting here?" and I saw that and was planning to reply that Silky Johnson frequently rags at people and he should ignore him and keep posting. But... I wanted to think about how to best word it and never got around to it. And no one else spoke up.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 02/16/22 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Apparently there are still some reverberations left from the ESPN forums....

undersized_post

PostPosted: 02/16/22 12:43 pm    ::: Re: Where is.... Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Howee wrote:
....Clay Kallam?

Silky Johnson gave him some grief or boorishness on the WNBA board and when ClayK let him know he was offended Johnson came back the next day and said something like "I'm good with what I said". ClayK also said something like "should I stop posting here?" and I saw that and was planning to reply that Silky Johnson frequently rags at people and he should ignore him and keep posting. But... I wanted to think about how to best word it and never got around to it. And no one else spoke up.

Good summary of what happened except I don't think it's true that no one else spoke up. The original thread in question: http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=99794&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

PostPosted: 02/17/22 1:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Thank you. I thought it had been a long while since I'd seen him around. Can you name some of the other boards you've seen him be active, and is he still coaching?

The ones that I see him on are Cal site Bear Insider and high school forum NorCalPreps. He is coaching JV at Carondelet, which is the school that Jayne Appel went to and the varsity coach is Sabrina Ionescu's old high school and AAU coach.
ClayK

PostPosted: 02/17/22 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First, thanks for the mention. Much appreciated ...

As awhom said, I'm still coaching, though at the JV level and helping out the Carondelet varsity with scouting, etc. I took a break from posting here for a variety of reasons.

Even considering the source, when Silky and Shades both called me out for not supporting women's basketball, it made me think about what I post and what I'm trying to accomplish. At a certain level, my views (on WNBA expansion, say, or the NCAA) are too familiar, and I felt I was just repeating myself a lot. So why keep on banging the same drum in the same rhythm?

And of course it does sting a little to be accused of not supporting the game when I've been actively involved for a long, long time at a lot of different levels. It seems to me that coaching, running events, writing about the game, etc., should count for more than watching on TV, but then again, maybe, in terms of forums like these, it really doesn't. Maybe I am out of touch, and if so, that's another reason to back off.

In any event, thanks again for thinking of me ... and I'm looking forward to getting back to the USA Basketball tryouts and a hopefully "normal" season next year.

PostPosted: 02/17/22 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clay, I have always appreciated your insights, thoughts, and dedication to the sport. Given the world today, I’m not sure how we create an online community that enables all to enjoy the sport we all support in a meaningful way without the sniping that often occurs.

I personally have stopped posting in most areas outside of the Fantasy League because it often feels like I’m in an echo chamber or there’s often not meaningful discourse. I have been fortunate enough to stumble across a few delightful souls who enjoy the game outside of posts on Rebkells and it makes my heart glad to enjoy the game with them.

I would be the first to say that this forum has felt empty for a long time because of the actions of some, and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/17/22 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clay I've always appreciated your professionalism. And IMO it's always welcome here....even the drum beating. Don't we all do that to some extent? And it's all about opinions. I certainly see myself doing it sometimes. If we agreed with everyone all the time, it would get boring. Thanks for giving us your insights.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/17/22 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
I would be the first to say that this forum has felt empty for a long time because of the actions of some, and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

I would have to agree.

Personally speaking, I recently concluded that I've wasted a lot of my time, over the past couple years that I've been actively posting, leaving comments that either elicit little-to-no response/discourse (which feels like more times than not), or unexpected criticism (which isn't often, but it's happened enough times).

And nowadays, I find enough of the regular/semi-regular posters on here to be rude, too snarky, randomly confrontational, and/or just plain annoying – certainly not all of them by any means, but enough of them. In spite of that, I realized it just isn't worth my time trying to be a part of a broader community that, in my opinion, doesn't feel like it actually exists. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

pilight

PostPosted: 02/17/22 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rebkell has always had ebbs and flows. We've definitely been at an ebb of late.

You and Pinocchio are probably related
Full of criss-crossed fits, you lie all the time
Your tongue should be embarrassed, you're a threat to mankind
okstateguy

PostPosted: 02/17/22 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Coyotes wrote:

I would have to agree.

Personally speaking, I recently concluded that I've wasted a lot of my time, over the past couple years that I've been actively posting, leaving comments that either elicit little-to-no response/discourse (which feels like more times than not), or unexpected criticism (which isn't often, but it's happened enough times).

And nowadays, I find enough of the regular/semi-regular posters on here to be rude, too snarky, randomly confrontational, and/or just plain annoying – certainly not all of them by any means, but enough of them. In spite of that, I realized it just isn't worth my time trying to be a part of a broader community that, in my opinion, doesn't feel like it actually exists. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm relatively new to the arena and have similar experiences. I love dialogue, but seems like some are just searching for something or someone they can disagree with. I mainly joined to talk about the Big 12, but no one seems all that interested, so I feel like I just fall back on reading comments mostly instead of dealing with the needless aggression

PostPosted: 02/17/22 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
I realized it just isn't worth my time trying to be a part of a broader community that, in my opinion, doesn't feel like it actually exists. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What can we do to make our community feel more like a community?

You and Pinocchio are probably related
Full of criss-crossed fits, you lie all the time
Your tongue should be embarrassed, you're a threat to mankind
Howee

PostPosted: 02/18/22 12:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clay, glad to hear you're still pluggin' along. As someone who is NOT plugged into the various social media, I tend to not be on the cutting edge of wbb information. For me, Reb's is it. Therefore, when GOOD contributors here go 'missing', I notice.

pilight wrote:

That's a wide-open question: the Rebkell demographics are all over the map, and expectations/interest levels vary so much. These differences are PRECISELY what I enjoy here. You could follow twitter or instagram feeds, but here....you can have a recruiter/journalist with national credentials, conversing with a stat whiz, an attorney, an English professor, a former NCAA center, a Stanford alum (albeit a very OLD one), or a Jeopardy! Champ .... all in the same thread! There's a LOT to be learnt here, for me.

My foremost mantra: Never take myself or opposing opinions too seriously.

PostPosted: 02/18/22 1:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
I realized it just isn't worth my time trying to be a part of a broader community that, in my opinion, doesn't feel like it actually exists. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I appreciate your question.

I mean, it's hard, because it's not like any one person can really control the actions or behaviors of others. I can't force dormant or active board members to reply to things I or others post, nor can I make new members materialize out of the woodwork and interact/contribute – nor will I have the nerve to ask others to do so.

I can give the business to those I find are being antagonistic, acting in bad faith, or even just outwardly aloof. But the times I or anyone else does, it doesn't seem to change these characters in the long run. And unless there's downright dangerous or particularly incendiary rhetoric being thrown around, I wouldn't ask for any censorship or other stark punishment to be applied, even if that was something I wanted. I'm also not gonna insert myself as an outsider into those kinds of interactions as a way to diffuse or play peace-maker, because I don't want to.

Behavior aside, everyone has their own personalities and interests on here. But there are even well-intentioned regular ole people on here that I just get sick of seeing, even if they're doing/saying literally nothing wrong. Maybe it's because I don't see enough of other people (in a... general sense), or maybe it's just a side effect stemming from what I perceive to be a hostile environment. I don't know.

I've been consciously trying to temper my own expectations for things. A) It's not fair to expect active posters be damn near omnipresent and always completely up-to-date when we all have our own lives to manage. B) People in general are less likely to read something long vs. something short, and it's hard for me to keep things short (even when I myself am less likely to read someone else's post if at first glance I think it's long!). And C) Shaming people into changing or leaving typically doesn't actually work.

But if I ultimately can't accept everyone on here for who they are, then that's my problem. Accepting this board in general for what it is rather than what I imagine it would be in a perfect world has honestly been something I've struggled with. Because I can't accept it, it's hard for me to fully enjoy it, even in the "flowy" times of the ebbs & flows. And quite honestly, there's enough in my own life I've been neglecting for a while that I've been using the internet to escape from, so I think being present on here in the way I've historically been hasn't been all that healthy.

So, to answer your original question – short of banning all my least favorites and magically creating fresh members that mesh well with me personally – I'm just not sure you can do anything, especially if the problem for me partially comes from within myself.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 02/21/22 4:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IMHO, the wholesale banning of some of the more interesting (to me) posters has directly led to fewer interesting discussions. There's less fun bantering, which apparently got under the skin of those with the power to ban.

I personally miss Cth and the way he was run off was shameful. If you don't see me here any more after this, then the same thing has happened to me. I got banned from the off topic board because someone was repeatedly posting misinformation about Covid and since I was battling it and its' after effects, I was passionate about calling it out. So the misinformation continued and I got banned. So it's OK to call Trump an idiot for spreading misinformation, but when a poster does the exact same thing, it's not OK.

Getting rid of interesting posters gets rid of interesting dialogue and destroys any sense of community. I long for the days of the ESPN secret board, where I met people I'm friends with to this day.

~rAf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: