RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Covid Cancellations/Postponements and Reschedules
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 12/30/21 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UW-Green Bay's game against Detroit today was canceled due to Covid issues for Detroit. The Horizon League hasn't made the same changes that many other leagues have recently and UWGB wins by forfeit. From an article:

According to the Horizon League policy, games that are canceled because of COVID-19 are to be considered forfeits unless deemed a no-contest by Commissioner Julie Roe Lach.

Lach can deem a canceled game as a no-contest if the involved school can demonstrate that extraordinary circumstances led to the cancellation. It was agreed upon that a high volume of breakthrough cases among vaccinated players is considered extraordinary.

Detroit attempted to deem the missed competition as a no-contest, but the request was denied by the league because circumstances did not meet that extraordinary threshold.

Full article - https://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/sports/2021/12/29/covid-19-issues-cancel-uwgb-womens-basketball-game-vs-detroit/9046373002/

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 12/31/21 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the Big East, Butler-Creighton was canceled pretty close to game time today due to Covid issues for Butler. UCONN’s game at Georgetown on Wed. 1/5 has been canceled due to UCONN’s Covid issues: https://twitter.com/bigeastwbb/status/1476999484236255238?s=21

mzonefan

PostPosted: 12/31/21 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw a tweet this afternoon that said ALL of the WCC men’s AND women’s games were off this weekend due to Covid because all of the matchups had at least one team out.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 01/01/22 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
UW-Green Bay's game against Detroit today was canceled due to Covid issues for Detroit. The Horizon League hasn't made the same changes that many other leagues have recently and UWGB wins by forfeit. From an article:

According to the Horizon League policy, games that are canceled because of COVID-19 are to be considered forfeits unless deemed a no-contest by Commissioner Julie Roe Lach.

Lach can deem a canceled game as a no-contest if the involved school can demonstrate that extraordinary circumstances led to the cancellation. It was agreed upon that a high volume of breakthrough cases among vaccinated players is considered extraordinary.

Detroit attempted to deem the missed competition as a no-contest, but the request was denied by the league because circumstances did not meet that extraordinary threshold.

Full article - https://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/sports/2021/12/29/covid-19-issues-cancel-uwgb-womens-basketball-game-vs-detroit/9046373002/

UW-Green Bay's game vs. Oakland was canceled today also but this one was ruled a no contest rather than a forfeit as was the case for Detroit having to forfeit against UWGB on Thursdsay. Oakland asked the conference commissioner to rule this a no contest and that request was granted:

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/2021/12/31/oakland-womens-basketball-canceled-covid-green-bay/9064365002/

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/01/22 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
In the Big East, Butler-Creighton was canceled pretty close to game time today due to Covid issues for Butler. UCONN’s game at Georgetown on Wed. 1/5 has been canceled due to UCONN’s Covid issues: https://twitter.com/bigeastwbb/status/1476999484236255238?s=21

Rumor has it Butler might be out of commission for a while.

PostPosted: 01/01/22 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

Rumor has it Butler might be out of commission for a while.

It was interesting to me that the Big East WBB twitter account had a promo in the morning for two games at 2P EST on Friday - that one and Seton Hall-Villanova. Then there was another tweet two hours later saying the game was canceled due to the Covid issues in Butler's program. So did something come up quickly or were people late being notified about this? It doesn't really matter in the scheme of things - those were just things I was wondering about when I read both those tweets. I guess at least Creighton didn't travel all that way for nothing - I see they are still scheduled to play tomorrow at Xavier - just had a little unexpected extra practice time with this game being canceled.

Xavier was Butler's last opponent on 12/29 but apparently they aren't impacted as they are still scheduled to host Creighton tomorrow.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 01/03/22 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Loyola Maryland has quite a few new policies in place for fans attending their evnets now - a lot more restrictions than I've seen other schools put in place - https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/1478203056110116867

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/03/22 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Loyola Maryland has quite a few new policies in place for fans attending their evnets now - a lot more restrictions than I've seen other schools put in place - https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/1478203056110116867

No food! Good. They got wise to the idiots sitting with a bucket of popcorn and no mask throughout the game. Fans not thinking about infecting the players and causing game cancellations. About time somebody does.

~rAf
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/04/22 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

No food! Good. They got wise to the idiots sitting with a bucket of popcorn and no mask throughout the game. Fans not thinking about infecting the players and causing game cancellations. About time somebody does.

With how sparsely populated most women's games are, I would think the "idiots" sitting with a bucket of popcorn are more than 6' away from other fans right? As long as they wear their masks to and from their seats, I don't see why you are so up in arms about someone sitting there, away from others, eating popcorn.

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 01/04/22 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

With how sparsely populated most women's games are, I would think the "idiots" sitting with a bucket of popcorn are more than 6' away from other fans right? As long as they wear their masks to and from their seats, I don't see why you are so up in arms about someone sitting there, away from others, eating popcorn.

I totally agree. The girls are not allowed to run around the arena and slap fans’ hands after the games. We stay in the fan section, which is more than 6 feet from the floor. Our team mostly had Covid last year, early in the pre-season, and everybody has had their shots. It is not wrong to want to enjoy a snack while watching a game.

Coyotes

PostPosted: 01/04/22 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Insanity.

7/10 games tonight have been cancelled. I guess we’re all watching Nebraska upset Michigan tonight!

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/04/22 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

You're kidding here, right? You know how rabid anti maskers are! They'll try to sit as close to everyone (including players) as they are allowed to. I've seen pictures of these turds smack in the middle of a crowd. They'll pluck one kernel to eat when monitors approach, then smirk. (multiple eyewitness accounts) And with this variant, they could spread virus throughout the entire arena of people, no matter how far away. Especially if they're shouting unmasked, which, of course, you know they will be.

~rAf
Howee

PostPosted: 01/04/22 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
You're kidding here, right? You know how rabid anti maskers are! They'll try to sit as close to everyone (including players) as they are allowed to. I've seen pictures of these turds smack in the middle of a crowd. They'll pluck one kernel to eat when monitors approach, then smirk. (multiple eyewitness accounts)

Might this be more of a "Cameron Crazy" thing than a general wbb thing? I dunno enough about this, as I don't routinely get to any college games, but some of the arenas I see are waaay empty, and people could snack without spreading anything.

PostPosted: 01/04/22 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
You're kidding here, right? You know how rabid anti maskers are! They'll try to sit as close to everyone (including players) as they are allowed to. I've seen pictures of these turds smack in the middle of a crowd. They'll pluck one kernel to eat when monitors approach, then smirk. (multiple eyewitness accounts)

Might this be more of a "Cameron Crazy" thing than a general wbb thing? I dunno enough about this, as I don't routinely get to any college games, but some of the arenas I see are waaay empty, and people could snack without spreading anything.

As seen on television, at least half the people at Tenn games aren't even wearing masks, and most are bunched in the lowest rows of seats.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/04/22 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

You're kidding here, right? You know how rabid anti maskers are! They'll try to sit as close to everyone (including players) as they are allowed to. I've seen pictures of these turds smack in the middle of a crowd. They'll pluck one kernel to eat when monitors approach, then smirk. (multiple eyewitness accounts) And with this variant, they could spread virus throughout the entire arena of people, no matter how far away. Especially if they're shouting unmasked, which, of course, you know they will be.

lol

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/04/22 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

double post

~rAf

Last edited by readyAIMfire53 on 01/05/22 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/04/22 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

No. I watched the Iowa game at Duke on ESPN and there were tons of empty seats. I just checked the box score and it said the attendance was just over 3k but I don't think there were that many at all. Even if it was actual bodies, that's still only 1/3rd capacity of Cameron.

There is plenty of room in pretty much all arenas for this to not be a concern.

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 01/04/22 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ohio called tomorrow's game at Akron due to a shortage of healthy Bobcats, and Miami did the same for the RedHawks' game at Kent State. No problem, Akron will now play at Kent State tomorrow on one day's notice. Looks like teams are going to have to be fast on their feet when it comes to scheduling this conference season.

PostPosted: 01/04/22 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UCONN has had another game canceled due to their Covid issues:

https://www.bigeast.com/news/2022/1/4/big-east-announces-womens-basketball-schedule-change.aspx

And these Big East games have been rescheduled that were originally canceled due to Covid issues:

https://www.bigeast.com/news/2022/1/4/big-east-announces-four-rescheduled-womens-basketball-games.aspx

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/04/22 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

America East has had team after team cancel games due to COVID. The conference has only played a total of 4 in-conference games so far.

GEF34

PostPosted: 01/05/22 12:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

Looking at pictures and videos on Loyola's social media, there is no social distancing going on. It looks like everyone in the arena is all sitting one section.

GEF34

PostPosted: 01/05/22 1:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

I totally agree. The girls are not allowed to run around the arena and slap fans’ hands after the games. We stay in the fan section, which is more than 6 feet from the floor. Our team mostly had Covid last year, early in the pre-season, and everybody has had their shots. It is not wrong to want to enjoy a snack while watching a game.

That's great that the fans at your school are being respectful to everyone and following the rules, unfortunately that is not the case everywhere. I've seen fans crowd teams post game, I've seen games where fans are walking on the floor behind bench. There are a lot of places all around the country where people don't care about wearing a mask and don't care about social distancing. Look at pictures/video on various schools social medias and you'll see the fans filled with people not social distancing and not masked.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/05/22 1:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Hoopsmom wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

That's great that the fans at your school are being respectful to everyone and following the rules, unfortunately that is not the case everywhere. I've seen fans crowd teams post game, I've seen games where fans are walking on the floor behind bench. There are a lot of places all around the country where people don't care about wearing a mask and don't care about social distancing. Look at pictures/video on various schools social medias and you'll see the fans filled with people not social distancing and not masked.

Thank you for contributing to the reality that Covid is being spread at arenas. I have zero doubt about this. It happens more when people are sitting near each other and unmasked, whether eating or pretending to be eating. Put simply, this variant is acting SO different that scientists don't know all that contributes into it spreading so easily. Most likely is that it stays in the air longer so distance from others matter less as it can easily reach further.

~rAf
CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 01/05/22 7:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Harvard and Stanford both limiting audience for time being.

https://gocrimson.com/news/2021/12/28/general-harvard-athletics-announces-new-indoor-spectator-policy-for-january-term.aspx

https://gostanford.com/news/2022/1/4/stanford-athletics-announces-new-winter-sports-attendance-policies.aspx

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 01/05/22 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kansas City extended their time off, postponing tomorrow night’s game against Western Illinois until January 31.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: